REPOST - OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter

  • tennessee_treader
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 15, 2006
      OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter
      June 15, 2006

      Tester Bio
      Name: Jim Warberg
      Age: 45
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0" ( 1.83 meters)
      Weight: 200 Pounds (113 kilograms)
      Email address: jwarberg@...
      City, State, Country: Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:

      I have 10 years of backpacking experience. I typically make 3-5 trips
      per year. I like to hike the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in
      early spring and late fall. For summer hikes I like to find cooler
      (temperature-wise) destinations, mainly the North Cascades in
      Washington State (where I have family). I am branching out this year
      by planning trips to Great Basin National Park in Nevada and Rocky
      Mountains National Park in Colorado. I carry a very heavy pack when
      hiking with my sons (ages 4, 11, & 13). When hiking with adults,
      though, I try and pack lightweight. I have hiked portions of the AT
      and PCT and I like to peak bag. I have logged 210 miles (338
      kilometers) both on and off the trail; 2006 was my best year, logging
      107 miles (172 kilometers) and 21,000 feet (6400 meters) of elevation
      gain. 2006 was when I decided to make hiking more than a hobby.

      Manufacturer's Specification Information
      (data copied from spec sheet @ www.rei.com)
      Product Tested:................... Katadyn Hiker Filter (water
      filter)
      Weight: ............................... 11.7 ounces (331 grams)

      Dimensions: ....................... 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches (190.5 x
      101.6 x 63.5 millimeters)
      Filter medium: .................. Pleated 0.3 micron glass
      fiber/carbon core
      Removes Protozoa and bacteria
      Output: ............................. 1.5 liters per minute (1.6
      quarts)
      Pump force: ..................... 8 pounds (3.6 kilograms)
      Pump strokes per liter: .... 40
      Field cleanable: ................. No, must change cartridge
      Manufacturer: .................. Katadyn
      Year of Manufacture: ....... 2004
      Manufacturer web site: www.katadyn.com.

      Note: any time manufacturer claims are noted in this review, the data
      is from the specification sheet that is available for the filter at
      www.rei.com.

      Tested Performance Information (as delivered)

      Weight :............................. 11.7 ounces (331 grams)
      Output: ............................. 1.2 liters per minute (1.6
      quarts)
      Pump strokes per liter: .... 47
      Dimensions: ....................... (hard to determine what this
      specification meant) 9.2 x 6.5 x 2.4 inches (in carrying pouch)
      (234 x 165 x 61 millimeters)

      Basic Overview
      The Katadyn hiker is a basic water filtration system. It comes with a
      filter cartridge, pump handle, and accessories to fit hydration and
      canteens. Additionally, it comes with a small carrying case for
      convenient storage in a backpack compartment. Manufacturer claims are
      that the pump filters bacteria and protozoa; no claims are made that
      it can filter out viruses or chemicals.

      Field Conditions

      I have tested this filter on seven hikes and in all four seasons. In
      the Smoky Mountains it was tested under cold and snowy conditions on
      winter and spring hikes with temperatures ranging from 15 to 65
      Fahrenheit (-9 to 18 Celcius) and elevations of 2000 to 5400 feet
      (610 to 1646 meters). In Washington state it was tested during dry
      and dusty summer conditions with temperatures ranging from 35 to 75
      Fahrenheit (2 to 24Celcius) and elevations ranging from 2500 to 7200
      feet (762 to 2195 meters). All water filtered was from lakes and
      streams with water that appeared clean.

      Field information

      After years of using iodine and boiling to purify water, I decided to
      purchase a water filtering system, mostly because I was tired of the
      iodine taste and wanted good tasting water to drink on a hike. I
      chose the Katadyn Hiker Filter, because I found it on sale.

      I have used the filter four times on hikes in the Great Smoky
      Mountains National Park and three times on hikes in the North Cascade
      Mountains in Washington State. I have used and abused the filter in
      all weather conditions (wet, bitter cold, very hot, dusty, muddy,
      dry,..) and it has to performed well as a four season filter.

      The positives of this pumping system are ease of use and pumping
      performance. Although it did not beat the 40 strokes per liter
      claimed in the manufacturer's specifications, it seemed to me to be
      easy to use and pumped water as quickly as I wanted on every
      occasion.

      Another positive is that the pump comes with a fitting made to fit
      wide-mouth Nagalene bottles and Camelbak hydration bags; very easy to
      set-up and fill containers. I also bought an additional fitting for
      Platypus water containers. The pump comes with a somewhat compact bag
      for storage in a backpack; it is a bit of pain to find space for it,
      because it takes up valuable space and weight for a lightweight
      backpacker like me.

      As for the glass/fiber core filter, it remained clean after six
      trips and soiled up on the seventh; I have filtered approximately
      27.4 gallons (104 liters) of water through the unit. The
      manufacturer's specs claim that each cartridge is good for filtering
      up to 200 gallons (757 liters) of water, depending on water quality.
      The filter cartridge got dirty in color on the seventh trip after I
      pumped water out of a spring on the Appalachian Trail (AT). I
      filtered water without using the pre-filter on the end of the inlet
      hose. The water looked clean, but there obviously was dirt in it that
      was imperceptible.

      WARNING: It is critical to always use the pre-filter on the inlet
      hose to avoid any debris from clogging up the filter. After the AT
      hike (where I pumped without the pre-filter), whatever I had pumped
      into the cartridge that discolored it set-up when dried and
      permanently clogged up the filter cartridge. I had to purchase a
      replacement filter (retail price $34.95). Detailed diagrams of the
      filter and maintenance instructions are available at:
      http://www.survivalequipment.net/instructionshiker.html .

      Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water
      (1.1 quarts) with two tablespoons of bleach through the unit after
      each hike. After the first six trips, the original filter cartridge
      was still nearly the same color as when I purchased it. After pumping
      the bleach solution, I would hang out the inlet & outlet tubes and
      set out the filter cartridge to dry before putting the pump in its
      storage pack. I trusted the bleach solution to kill bacteria in the
      hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions are available from
      the same URL noted for the illustrated parts breakdown. Although the
      filter and pump can only be cleaned at home, that wasn't an issue for
      me; I have used it for up to six days at a time on hikes and only the
      AT experience was a problem. I would suggest bringing some sort of
      chemical water treatment as a backup, in case the unit fails in the
      field. Even though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing
      on my hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.

      The pump is fairly easy to take apart when performing maintenance
      (lubing seals, cleaning the cartridge, etc.) .The pump handle is
      easily removed to enable me to clean the cylinder and the pump handle
      seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
      (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip. The only difficulty that I
      have had with maintaining the pump was taking the filter off for the
      first time; it was screwed on so tight that it seemed impossible to
      get off (and I am a manly-man).

      The filter is relatively easy to set-up and use. For example, time to
      set-up, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down and
      put the unit away takes less than ten minutes. The length of the
      inlet and outlet hoses are only about two feet, so I did have to find
      a place to sit or hunker down where I was close to the water source.
      The pump handle has a large grip and the handle shaft slides
      smoothly, enabling the expeditious pumping & filtering of water. I
      found the pump easy to use.

      After all that we finally get to taste; this unit pumps water that
      has no perceptible aftertaste (which is exactly what I bought it
      for).

      Even with my mistake with pre-filtering, I still highly recommend the
      purchase of this water filtration system both for ease of pumping and
      for great tasting water.
    • Jim Warberg
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 15, 2006
[...]

        This e-mail and any attachments represent the views and opinions of only the sender and are not necessarily those of Memphis Light, Gas & Water Division,and no such inference should be made.

      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 17, 2006
          Hi Jim,

          Looking good. I've flagged a few more edits based on your changes.
          Not too many so we're ready for the next step -- make the changes
          and repost it with REPOST in the subject line. Also, do your HTML
          version and post it to the Test folder on BGT. That way if things
          look good I'll be able to approve the review and give you a place to
          upload the review to its permanent home on BGT.

          Use the test upload folder at
          Reviews >Test or http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test to test
          your upload. If you require assistance with your upload, please ask
          in our Yahoo! support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

          If all looks good in the content and the links, etc. work correctly
          in the HTML version I'll create a folder for your permanent upload
          and you'll be able to cross this one off your to-do list.

          Thanks again for the nice work on this one.
          Jim
          Edit Moderator

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Warberg"
          <jwarberg@...> wrote:

          > I have 10 years of backpacking experience. I typically make 3-5
          trips per year. I like to hike the Great Smoky Mountains National
          Park in early spring and late fall. For summer hikes I like to find
          cooler (temperature-wise) destinations, mainly the North Cascades in
          Washington State (where I have family). I am branching out this year

          ### You can delete the "(where I have family)" since it doesn't
          really help us understand your reviewing perspective anymore than
          without it.

          >by planning trips to Great Basin National Park in Nevada and Rocky
          Mountains National Park in Colorado. I carry a very heavy pack when
          hiking with my sons (ages 4, 11, & 13). When hiking with adults,

          ### You can delete the "(ages 4, 11, & 13)" to tighten this up.

          >though, I try and pack lightweight. I have hiked portions of the AT
          and PCT and I like to peak bag.

          ### I'd delete the rest below this sentence. It's interesting but
          not necessary to understand where you're coming from when reviewing
          gear.

          > Manufacturer web site: www.katadyn.com.

          ### Still missing the MSRP.

          > Basic Overview The Katadyn hiker is a basic water filtration
          system. It comes with a filter cartridge, pump handle, and
          accessories to fit hydration and canteens. Additionally, it comes

          ### "hydration bladders"

          and dusty summer conditions with temperatures ranging from 35 to 75
          Fahrenheit (2 to 24Celcius) and elevations ranging from 2500 to 7200

          ### "24 Celcius"

          > I have used the filter four times on hikes in the Great Smoky
          Mountains National Park and three times on hikes in the North

          ### It's not clear if you used the filter 7 individual times or on 7
          trips. Did you filter water once on each trip (hence 7 times) or did
          you mean that you used it on 7 trips & filtered water more than once
          on each trip?

          >Cascade Mountains in Washington State. I have used and abused the
          filter in all weather conditions (wet, bitter cold, very hot, dusty,
          muddy, dry,..) and it has to performed well as a four season filter.

          ### "has performed"

          > Another positive is that the pump comes with a fitting made to fit
          wide-mouth Nagalene bottles and Camelbak hydration bags; very easy

          ### "Nalgene" and "CamelBak"

          >to set-up and fill containers. I also bought an additional fitting

          ### "setup" is not a compound word

          > WARNING: It is critical to always use the pre-filter on the inlet
          hose to avoid any debris from clogging up the filter. After the AT
          hike (where I pumped without the pre-filter), whatever I had pumped
          into the cartridge that discolored it set-up when dried and

          ### "setup"

          >permanently clogged up the filter cartridge. I had to purchase a
          replacement filter (retail price $34.95). Detailed diagrams of the
          filter and maintenance instructions are available at:
          http://www.survivalequipment.net/instructionshiker.html .

          ### Since we don't know that other site links will stay, we don't
          allow them in reviews/reports (except for the manufacturer's
          homepage & the reviewer's personal page). That prevents dead links
          which keeps us out of Google's "bad list" -- they lower search
          rankings for pages with bad links. You can rephrase this by saying
          something like "Detailed diagrams of the filter and maintenance
          instructions are available on the Internet by Googling Katadyn Hiker
          Maintenance."

          > Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water
          (1.1 quarts) with two tablespoons of bleach through the unit after
          each hike. After the first six trips, the original filter cartridge

          ### Did you do that after the AT hike?

          > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
          are available from the same URL noted for the illustrated parts
          breakdown. Although the filter and pump can only be cleaned at home,

          ### "Cleaning instructions are also available on the Internet and
          can be found on similar sites to those found when looking for the
          illustrated parts breakdown."

          > The pump is fairly easy to take apart when performing maintenance
          (lubing seals, cleaning the cartridge, etc.) .The pump handle is

          "etc.). The"

          >easily removed to enable me to clean the cylinder and the pump
          handle seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel

          ### Silicon? Should it be "silicone"? Silicon isn't usually
          considered a lubricant.

          > The filter is relatively easy to set-up and use. For example, time
          to set-up, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down
          and put the unit away takes less than ten minutes. The length of the
          inlet and outlet hoses are only about two feet, so I did have to

          ### Need a metric conversion.
        • tennessee_treader
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 19, 2006
            OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter
            June 19, 2006

            Tester Bio
            Name: Jim Warberg
            Age: 45
            Gender: Male
            Height: 6' 0" ( 1.83 meters)
            Weight: 200 Pounds (113 kilograms)
            Email address: jwarberg@...
            City, State, Country: Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.

            Backpacking Background:

            I have 10 years of backpacking experience. I typically make 3-5 trips
            per year. I like to hike the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in
            early spring and late fall. For summer hikes I like to find cooler
            (temperature-wise) destinations, mainly the North Cascades in
            Washington State. I am branching out this year by planning trips to
            Great Basin National Park in Nevada and Rocky Mountains National Park
            in Colorado. I carry a very heavy pack when hiking with my sons. When
[...]

            MSRP: .................................. $59.95

            Note: any time manufacturer claims are noted in this review, the data
            is from the specification sheet that is available for the filter at
            www.rei.com.

            Tested Performance Information (as delivered)

            Weight :............................. 11.7 ounces (331 grams)
            Output: ............................. 1.2 liters per minute (1.6
            quarts)
            Pump strokes per liter: .... 47
            Dimensions: ....................... (hard to determine what this
            specification meant)
            9.2 x 6.5 x 2.4 inches (in carrying pouch)
            (234 x 165 x 61 millimeters)

            Basic Overview The Katadyn hiker is a basic water filtration
            system. It comes with a filter cartridge, pump handle, and
            accessories to fit hydration bladders and canteens. Additionally, it
[...]

            I have used the filter on four hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains
            National Park and three hikes in the North Cascade Mountains of
            Washington State. I have used and abused the filter in all weather
            conditions (wet, bitter cold, very hot, dusty, muddy, dry,..) and it
            has performed well as a four season filter.

[...]

            filter and maintenance instructions are available by
            Googling "Katadyn Hiker Maintenance."

            Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water
            (1.1 quarts) with two tablespoons of bleach through the unit after
            each hike. After the first six trips, the original filter cartridge
            was still nearly the same color as when I purchased it; I faithfully
            cleaned it after each hike. After the seventh hike, whatever setup in
            the filter cartridge did not come clean by using the bleach and water
            method. After pumping the bleach solution, I would hang out the inlet
            & outlet tubes and set out the filter cartridge to dry before putting
            the pump in its storage pack. I trusted the bleach solution to kill
            bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions are
            also available on the Internet and
            can be found on sites similar to those found when looking for the
            illustrated parts breakdown. Although the filter and pump can only be
            cleaned at home, that wasn't an issue for me; I have used it for up
            to six days at a time on hikes and only the AT experience was a
            problem. I would suggest bringing some sort of chemical water
            treatment as a backup, in case the unit fails in the field. Even
            though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
            hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.

            The pump is fairly easy to take apart when performing maintenance
            (lubing seals, cleaning the cartridge, etc.). The pump handle is
            easily removed to enable me to clean the cylinder and the pump handle
            seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
            (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube of
            the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only
            difficulty that I have had with maintaining the pump was taking the
            filter off for the first time; it was screwed on so tight that it
            seemed impossible to get off (and I am a manly-man).

            The filter is relatively easy to setup and use. For example, time to
            setup, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down and
            put the unit away takes less than ten minutes. The length of the
            inlet and outlet hoses are only about two feet (61 centimeters), so I

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 19, 2006
              I have edited and reposted. I have also tested the upload of the HTML
              file successfully. All went well. :)

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
              <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > can be found on similar sites to those found when looking for the
              > illustrated parts breakdown."
              >
              > > The pump is fairly easy to take apart when performing maintenance
              > (lubing seals, cleaning the cartridge, etc.) .The pump handle is
              >
              > "etc.). The"
              >
              > >easily removed to enable me to clean the cylinder and the pump
              > handle seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel
              >
              > ### Silicon? Should it be "silicone"? Silicon isn't usually
              > considered a lubricant.
              >
              > > The filter is relatively easy to set-up and use. For example,
              time
              > to set-up, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down
              > and put the unit away takes less than ten minutes. The length of
              the
              > inlet and outlet hoses are only about two feet, so I did have to

            • colonelcorn76
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 26, 2006
                Hi Jim,

                Almost there. Just a few edits and I think you'll have it ready for
                BGT. Please make the changes noted below and then repost it to with
                REPOST in the subject line. When you do that, post a copy of the
                HTML in the test folder too (this time use the Owner Review
                subfolder) so I can check the clickability of the mfg's URL too.

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tennessee_treader"
                <jwarberg@...> wrote:

                > Manufacturer's Specification Information
                > (data copied from spec sheet @ www.rei.com)

                ### Should be from the manufacturer's website
                (http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outdoor_products/our_products/bac
                kcountry_series/hiker/?
                conTact_sess_name=71a55e3bd3b7ee558cf1c58b7387fd39)

                > Manufacturer web site: .... www.katadyn.com.

                ### This needs to be clickable in the HTML (it's not right now)

                > MSRP: .................................. $59.95

                ### Need to add the country (to avoid confusion with other countries
                like Canada, Australia, etc. which also use the $). "$59.95 US"
                would work.

                > Note: any time manufacturer claims are noted in this review, the
                data
                > is from the specification sheet that is available for the filter
                at
                > www.rei.com.

                ### You can't use another website for manufacturer's data -- use the
                manufacturer's website.

                > Dimensions: ....................... (hard to determine what this
                > specification meant)

                ### Usually height/width/depth (at thickest & deepest parts
                generally)...may also refer to the diameter...not a big deal since
                the mfg's site only refers to the height.

                > wide-mouth Nagalene bottles and Camelbak hydration bags; very easy

                ### "Nalgene" and "CamelBak"

                > permanently clogged up the filter cartridge. I had to purchase a
                > replacement filter (retail price $34.95). Detailed diagrams of the

                ### Filter or filter cartridge? I think you mean filter cartridge.

                > Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water
                > (1.1 quarts) with two tablespoons of bleach through the unit after

                ### Need metric conversion for the tablespoon measure.

                > cleaned it after each hike. After the seventh hike, whatever setup
                in

                ### "setup"? Not sure what you mean --- perhaps "set up".

                > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
                are
                > also available on the Internet and

                ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
                finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
                product?

                > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
                > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.

                ### Should be "perceptible freeze"

                > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant

                ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
                what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
                need to be kept dry)

                > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
                of
                > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

                ### "silicone gel"
              • tennessee_treader
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 29, 2006
                  I'm packing for a trip to Great Basin National Park; I'll try and get
                  this rewrite done before I leave next Thursday. If not you'll know why
                  its late. :)

                  <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
                  > are
                  > > also available on the Internet and
                  >
                  > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
                  > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
                  > product?
                  >
                  > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
                  > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
                  >
                  > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
                  >
                  > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
                  >
                  > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
                  > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
                  > need to be kept dry)
                  >
                  > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
                  > of
                  > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 29, 2006
                    Hi Jim,

                    Around here we call time away from BGT "Out of Pocket or OOP for
                    short. Please post an OOP notice when you leave with your name and
                    your departure/return dates. This is important to do if you have any
                    outstanding ORs or Reports (when you get to this point) running so the
                    people who are involved in Editing or monitoring your test series know
                    what's going on with you. Andrew keeps track of this stuff too.

                    Thank you.
                    Jamie D
                    BGT Edit Admin Manager

                    <jwarberg@...> wrote:

                    > I'm packing for a trip to Great Basin National Park; I'll try and get
                    > this rewrite done before I leave next Thursday. If not you'll know
                    why
                    > its late. :)

                  • tennessee_treader
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 5, 2006
                      OOP until 7/11. I will finish the rewrite next week.
                      Jim

                      <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
                      > are
                      > > also available on the Internet and
                      >
                      > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
                      > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
                      > product?
                      >
                      > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
                      > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
                      >
                      > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
                      >
                      > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
                      >
                      > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
                      > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
                      > need to be kept dry)
                      >
                      > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
                      > of
                      > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

                    • tennessee_treader
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 11, 2006
                        Finishing up my re-write this week. I am confused about one item that
                        keeps popping up. The tube of lubricant that came with the filter
                        cartridge for the rubber seal on it has a label that says "3 gr
                        Silicon lubricant", rather than Silicone as you have recommended
                        re-writing. So, which spelling do I use?
                        Jim (alias, confused in Memphis)

                        <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        >
                        > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
                        > are
                        > > also available on the Internet and
                        >
                        > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
                        > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
                        > product?
                        >
                        > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
                        > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
                        >
                        > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
                        >
                        > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
                        >
                        > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
                        > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
                        > need to be kept dry)
                        >
                        > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
                        > of
                        > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

                      • tennessee_treader
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 13, 2006
[...]

                          Weight: ............................... 11.0 ounces (312 grams)
                          Height: ............................... 6.5 inches (165 millimeters)
                          Hose Length: ....................... 36 inches (914 millimeters)
                          Filter medium: .................. Pleated 0.3 micron glass fiber
                          carbon core
                          Output: ............................. 1 quart per minute (1 liter)
                          Pump strokes: .................. 48 per 1 liter (1 quart)
                          Cartridge Capacity:......... Up to 200 gallons (depending on water
                          quality)
                          Manufacturer: .................. Katadyn
                          Year of Manufacture: ....... 2004
                          Manufacturer web site: ....
                          http://www.katadyn.ch/site/us/home/outdoor_products/our_products/backcountry_series/hiker/

                          www.katadyn.com
                          MSRP: .................................. $59.95 US

                          Tested Performance Information (as delivered)

                          Weight :............................. 11.7 ounces (331 grams)
                          Output: ............................. 1.2 liters per minute (1.6 quarts)
                          Pump strokes per liter: .... 47
                          Height: .............................. 6.5 inches (165 millimeters)
                          Hose Length: .................... 37.5 inches (953 millimeters)
                          Cartridge Capacity:......... 27.4 gallons (103.7 liters)
                          (Actual pumped capacity
                          before having to change filter cartridge)

                          Basic Overview The Katadyn hiker is a basic water filtration system.
                          It comes with a filter cartridge, pump handle, and accessories to fit
                          hydration bladders and canteens. Additionally, it comes with a small
[...]

                          performance. The filter beat the 48 strokes per liter claimed in the
                          manufacturer's specifications; it was easy to use and pumped water as
                          quickly as I wanted on every occasion.

                          Another positive is that the pump comes with a fitting made to fit
                          wide-mouth Nalgene bottles and CamelBak hydration bags; very easy to
[...]

                          to avoid any debris from clogging up the filter cartridge. After the
                          AT hike (where I pumped without the pre-filter), whatever I had pumped
                          into the cartridge that discolored it set up when dried and
                          permanently clogged up the filter cartridge. I had to purchase a
                          replacement filter cartridge (retail price $34.95 US). Detailed
                          diagrams of the filter and maintenance instructions are available by
                          Googling "Katadyn Hiker Maintenance"(a set also comes with the pump).

                          Instructions for cleaning the filter are to pump a liter of water (1.1
                          quarts) with two tablespoons (29.6 milliliters) of bleach through the
                          unit after each hike. After the first six trips, the original filter
                          cartridge was still nearly the same color as when I purchased it; I
                          faithfully cleaned it after each hike. After the seventh hike,
                          whatever set up in the filter cartridge did not come clean by using
                          the bleach and water method. After pumping the bleach solution, I
                          would hang out the inlet & outlet tubes and set out the filter
                          cartridge to dry before putting the pump in its storage pack. I
                          trusted the bleach solution to kill bacteria in the hoses and filter
                          cartridge. Cleaning instructions can also be found on internet sites
                          similar to those found when looking for the illustrated parts
                          breakdown. Although the filter and pump can only be cleaned at home,
                          that wasn't an issue for me; I have used it for up to six days at a
                          time on hikes and only the AT experience was a problem. I would
                          suggest bringing some sort of chemical water treatment as a backup, in
                          case the unit fails in the field. Even though I did not take care to
                          keep the unit from freezing on my hikes, I have not noted any
                          perceptible freeze damage.

                          The pump is fairly easy to take apart when performing maintenance
                          (lubing seals, cleaning the cartridge, etc.). The pump handle is
                          easily removed to enable me to clean the cylinder and the pump handle
                          seal. Katadyn includes a tube of their silicon lubricant in its
                          replacement cartridges for lubricating the rubber seal on the filter
                          cartridge. The only difficulty that I have had with maintaining the
                          pump was taking the filter off for the first time; it was screwed on
                          so tight that it seemed impossible to get off (and I am a manly-man).

                          The filter is relatively easy to setup and use. For example, time to
                          setup, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down and
                          put the unit away takes less than ten minutes. The length of the inlet
                          and outlet hoses are only three feet (91 centimeters), so I did have

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 13, 2006
                            Colonelcorn,
                            I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links are "clickable".
                            I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
                            what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).
                            Jim

                            <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            >
                            > > bacteria in the hoses and filter cartridge. Cleaning instructions
                            > are
                            > > also available on the Internet and
                            >
                            > ### Are they also included with the filter--your references to
                            > finding this info on the web implies it's not available with the
                            > product?
                            >
                            > > though I did not take care to keep the unit from freezing on my
                            > > hikes, I have not noted any perceivable freeze damage.
                            >
                            > ### Should be "perceptible freeze"
                            >
                            > > seal. I suggest maintaining the seals with a silicon gel lubricant
                            >
                            > ### "silicone gel" (silicon gel is the same as silica gel which is
                            > what's in the little desicant packages included with things that
                            > need to be kept dry)
                            >
                            > > (recommended by Katadyn) before each trip; Katadyn includes a tube
                            > of
                            > > the silicon gel lubricant in its replacement cartridges. The only

                          • rayestrella1
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                              <jwarberg@...> wrote:

                              > Colonelcorn,
                              > I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links
                              are "clickable".
                              > I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
                              > what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).

                              Jim,

                              I have about four of those at the office. You are correct that that
                              is how they have it spelled. It is a common typo. The material is a
                              silicone lubricant. Silicon is this;

                              Silicon (Latin: silicium) is the chemical element in the periodic
                              table that has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent
                              metalloid, silicon is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon.
                              It is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making
                              up 25.7% of it by mass. It does not occur free in nature. It mainly
                              occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide
                              in different chrystalline forms (quartz, chalcedony, opal) and as
                              silicates (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or
                              another metal), for example feldspar. These minerals occur in clay,
                              sand and various types of rock like granite and sandstone. Silicon is
                              the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the
                              form of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is
                              also a component of silicones, a name for various plastic substances
                              often confused with silicon itself. Silicon is widely used in
                              semiconductors because it has a lower reverse leakage current than
                              the semiconductor Germanium, and because its native oxide is easily
                              grown in a furnace and forms a better semiconductor/dielectric
                              interface than almost all other material combinations.

                              Ray
                            • tennessee_treader
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                                I will change the spelling in my report. Thanks for the Infomation.
                                Jim

                                <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tennessee_treader"
                                > <jwarberg@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Colonelcorn,
                                > > I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links
                                > are "clickable".
                                > > I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
                                > > what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).
                                >
                                > Jim,
                                >
                                > I have about four of those at the office. You are correct that that
                                > is how they have it spelled. It is a common typo. The material is a
                                > silicone lubricant. Silicon is this;
                                >
                                > Silicon (Latin: silicium) is the chemical element in the periodic
                                > table that has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent
                                > metalloid, silicon is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon.
                                > It is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making
                                > up 25.7% of it by mass. It does not occur free in nature. It mainly
                                > occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide
                                > in different chrystalline forms (quartz, chalcedony, opal) and as
                                > silicates (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or
                                > another metal), for example feldspar. These minerals occur in clay,
                                > sand and various types of rock like granite and sandstone. Silicon is
                                > the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the
                                > form of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is
                                > also a component of silicones, a name for various plastic substances
                                > often confused with silicon itself. Silicon is widely used in
                                > semiconductors because it has a lower reverse leakage current than
                                > the semiconductor Germanium, and because its native oxide is easily
                                > grown in a furnace and forms a better semiconductor/dielectric
                                > interface than almost all other material combinations.
                                >
                                > Ray

                              • tennessee_treader
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
[...]

                                  Manufacturer web site: .... www.katadyn.ch
                                  MSRP: .................................. $59.95 US

[...]

                                  seal. Katadyn includes a tube of their silicone lubricant in its

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 14, 2006
                                    Hi,
                                    Looks pretty good. I've flagged a few things that once you fix you
                                    can upload it to the correct folder this time:
                                    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water
                                    Treatment/Filters/Katadyn Hiker Water Filter/

                                    Remember to mark it as an "Owner Review" when you upload it so it
                                    gets titled correctly by the site.

                                    Thanks again for the nice job,
                                    Jim
                                    Edit Moderator

                                    <jwarberg@...> wrote:

                                    > OWNER REVIEW - Katadyn Hiker Filter
                                    > June 19, 2006

                                    ### July 14, 2006

                                    > Weight: 200 Pounds (113 kilograms)

                                    ### Except for proper names (e.g. Farenheit) units are not
                                    capitalized. This should be "pounds"

                                    > Output: ............................. 1 quart per minute (1 liter)

                                    ### Better to write it as "1 quart (1 liter) per minute" where the
                                    metric conversion immediately follows the Imperical measure.

                                    > Pump strokes: .................. 48 per 1 liter (1 quart)
                                    > Cartridge Capacity:......... Up to 200 gallons (depending on water
                                    > quality)

                                    ### Need a metric conversion for gallons

                                    > Weight :............................. 11.7 ounces (331 grams)
                                    > Output: ............................. 1.2 liters per minute (1.6
                                    quarts)

                                    ### You're mixing unit typing here -- sometimes it's metric first
                                    (as here) and sometimes Imperial first (as in the mfg specs section
                                    above). Please switch to one or the other and stay consistent
                                    throughout the review.

                                    > The positives of this pumping system are ease of use and pumping
                                    > performance. The filter beat the 48 strokes per liter claimed in

                                    ### "per liter (quart)"

                                    > Another positive is that the pump comes with a fitting made to fit
                                    > wide-mouth Nalgene bottles and CamelBak hydration bags; very easy
                                    > setup and fill containers. I also bought an additional fitting for

                                    ### "set up and"

                                    > cartridge. Cleaning instructions can also be found on internet
                                    sites

                                    ### "Internet" is a proper noun and should be capitalized

                                    > The filter is relatively easy to setup and use. For example, time

                                    ### "set up and" -- set up as a verb is 2 words, as a noun it's one
                                    (setup)

                                    > setup, pump 4 liters (4.2 quarts) of water, and then break-down and

                                    ### "set up," ... "break down" is not a compound word
                                  • Jerry Goller
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 15, 2006
                                      It really doesn't matter. As long as the reader understands what the lub is,
                                      that is all that is important.

                                      Jerry

                                      reviews and tests on the planet.

                                      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tennessee_treader"
                                      > <jwarberg@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Colonelcorn,
                                      > > I have made the changes you recomended. The URL links
                                      > are "clickable".
                                      > > I did leave the silcon spelled silicon vs silicone as it was exactly
                                      > > what was on the tube (it was lubricant not dessicant).
                                      >
                                      > Jim,
                                      >
                                      > I have about four of those at the office. You are correct that that is
                                      > how they have it spelled. It is a common typo. The material is a
                                      > silicone lubricant. Silicon is this;
                                      >
                                      > Silicon (Latin: silicium) is the chemical element in the periodic
                                      > table that has the symbol Si and atomic number 14. A tetravalent
                                      > metalloid, silicon is less reactive than its chemical analog carbon.
                                      > It is the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust, making up
                                      > 25.7% of it by mass. It does not occur free in nature. It mainly
                                      > occurs in minerals consisting of (practically) pure silicon dioxide in
                                      > different chrystalline forms (quartz, chalcedony, opal) and as
                                      > silicates (various minerals containing silicon, oxygen and one or
                                      > another metal), for example feldspar. These minerals occur in clay,
                                      > sand and various types of rock like granite and sandstone. Silicon is
                                      > the principal component of most semiconductor devices and, in the form
                                      > of silica and silicates, in glass, cement, and ceramics. It is also a
                                      > component of silicones, a name for various plastic substances often
                                      > confused with silicon itself. Silicon is widely used in semiconductors
                                      > because it has a lower reverse leakage current than the semiconductor
                                      > Germanium, and because its native oxide is easily grown in a furnace
                                      > and forms a better semiconductor/dielectric interface than almost all
                                      > other material combinations.
                                      >
                                      > Ray

                                      Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See the new email design.
                                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/V4TolB/TM

                                      To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ Yahoo!
                                      Groups Links
                                    • tennessee_treader
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 18, 2006
                                        I have made the changes and will try and upload it today or tomorrow
                                        morning to the correct folder :) . Thank you for your quidance on my
                                        first review.
                                        Jim