Re: Owner Review-Ted-Mont Bell O.D. Paper Roll

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
      Thanks, Jim. Try

      http://tinyurl.com/ju3rf

      I'm not sure what O.D. stands for--it's an abbreviation used in many
      of the Japanese product names. Somewhere I have their very tiny trowel
      (I hope so, anyhow) but since I mislaid it a year ago I can't write a
      report!

      Ted.

    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
        In a message dated 6/9/2006 7:15:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, erd@...
        writes:
        Thanks, Jim. Try

        http://tinyurl.com/ju3rf

        I'm not sure what O.D. stands for--it's an abbreviation used in many
        of the Japanese product names. Somewhere I have their very tiny trowel
        (I hope so, anyhow) but since I mislaid it a year ago I can't write a
        report!

        Ted.
        ##########

        Thanks, Ted.

        I recently purchased the trowel, but have yet to use it in the field. I must
        confess that it looks to be the ideal size for eating a large pot of chili-mac
        rather than using it for its intended function!

        Jim S.

        "Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of
        the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 9, 2006
          Jim -- one doesn't want to mix the potty trowel up with the eating
          irons <g>. Nasty, that. Yes, it is pretty tiny (probably why I can't
          find it).

          Ted.

          > Thanks, Ted.
          >
          > I recently purchased the trowel, but have yet to use it in the
          field. I must
          > confess that it looks to be the ideal size for eating a large pot of
          chili-mac
          > rather than using it for its intended function!
          >
          > Jim S.
          >
          > "Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at
          the end of
          > the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

        • Steven H. Miller
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
            Perhaps "Out Door?"

            SteveM

            On Jun 9, 2006, at 4:13 PM, edwardripleyduggan wrote:

            > http://tinyurl.com/ju3rf
            >
            > I'm not sure what O.D. stands for--it's an abbreviation used in many
            > of the Japanese product names.

          • colonelcorn76
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2006
              Hi Ted,
              Nice job. I've a few edits which once you've fixed you can upload to
              BGT at the following URL:
              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal
              Hygiene/Toiletries/Mont Bell O.D. Paper Roll/
              OR
              http://tinyurl.com/ge8g8
              <<Use either link>>

              Thanks again for the nice work on this,
              Jim
              Edit Moderator

              <erd@...> wrote:

              > * MSRP: $3 US

              ### Is that per roll or for a two pack?

              > * Color: cream

              ### Single or double-ply? Might be worth a mention here that it's
              unperforated instead of waiting 'til further down.

              > acceptable solution, carrying used TP for a long haul is a nasty
              > business. Mont Bell's O.D. Paper Roll is one solution to this
              quandary.

              ### What's "O.D." stand for?

              > discarded pre-trip. The paper is unperforated, i.e. the roll is a
              > continuous sheet, but (because it is such a gossamer-thin sheet)
              > sections are easily torn off. For short trips and for the emergency

              ### Does that make for any unpleasant leak through while using? Do
              you use more to make up for the thinness?

              > remaining, after extensive use. Despite the price, it's pretty
              > economic stuff if used carefully.

              ### "economical"

              > place, and am pleased to report that, unlike regular toilet paper
              > (which forms hideous, ugly festoons come thaw), there's no little
              or
              > sign of the O.D. Paper when I've wandered by the spot in the
              spring.

              ### [digression here: I was in Havusupai Canyon in the Grand Canyon
              this spring and it was appallingly disgusting how much fecal matter
              & TP was strewn about within feet - handfuls not hundreds - of the
              trail or campsites. People can be real pigs. /end rant]

              > to be comfortable, certainly better than most leaves. I do wish it
              > were made slightly wider, as 4 in (10 cm) is close to the minimum

              ### Interesting. The standard American roll width appears to be 4.5
              in (Charmin, etc.).

              > width for the job. Beforehand, I'll dig a six-inch cathole. After
              use,

              ### Metric conversion needed.
            • edwardripleyduggan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
                Thanks, Jim,

                I have made all edits except for the meaning of O.D., which remains an
                enigma. I'll phone them in a bit; it may be something Japanese, though
                someone suggested "outdoor. This seems a tautology as it's attached to
                a number of their products which are de facto outdoor.

                Best,

                Ted,
              • edwardripleyduggan
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2006
                  I called MB. Travis, the guy who answered the phone didn't know, but
                  after some consultation says "probably outdoor" though he himself says
                  it seems mildly illogical.