OWNER REVIEW - Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest

  • Josh Esteves
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2006
      Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest

      Name: Josh Esteves
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’3”
      Weight: 270
      Email address: jandk1800@...
      City, State, Country: Modesto, CA USA
      Date: 6-7-06
      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking five
      years ago, mostly day hiking and overnight trips with
      a few multi day trips and one solo 3 day trip. I
      started backpacking in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas
      and recently returned to California and have been
      hiking the coastal Santa Cruz mountains and the
      Sierras.
      Product information
      a.  Manufacturer: Therm-a-Rest
      b. Year of manufacture: 2004
      c. Manufacturer's URL: http://www.thermarest.com/
      d. Listed weight: 14 oz. (400 grams)
      e. Weight as delivered: 13.2 oz. (374 grams)
      f.  Product description: size regular
      Field information
      a. Castle Rock State Park in the California Santa Cruz
      Mountains
      b. Description of location: Coastal mountain range,
      sea level to 2000+ feet elevation, dense redwood
      forest with rocky to sandy terrain.
      c. Weather conditions: tested in various conditions
      from humid and hot to damp and cool to cold and rainy,
      but never below freezing.
      d. Item was used in many different situations from on
      a ground cloth with a quilt to in a tent with a
      sleeping bag. I carried it rolled up and strapped to
      the bottom of my pack and inside the pack rolled
      loosely with my gear stuffed inside it. It performed
      well in all situations with adequate warmth and
      relatively light weight.
      Summary
      The sleeping pad greatly out performed the cheaper
      closed-cell pads from Wal-Mart and the comfort,
      warmth, and durability are far better than the light
      weight inflatable mattresses I have used before.
      With proper cleaning and flattening of the campsite
      there is no problem with comfort, in a developed high
      traffic campsite I spent a night on some rocky and
      hard ground that wasn’t the most comfortable, which I
      hold the ground and myself responsible for not the
      pad.
      I have used the pad for over a year now and I also
      own a cheap closed-cell foam pad, a Therm-a-Rest Ultra
      light (which I believe is an older version of the
      self-inflating ProLite 3), and the heavy and longer
      Therm-a-Rest RidgeRestDeluxe ( which is only worth the
      weight in cold climates were a 4 season pad is
      required). I find the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest to be my
      favorite and most used.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2006