EDIT: Owner Review: SwissCard Classic T3 Credit Card Toolkit - Karl Fuderer

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2006
      Hi Karl,

      Here's your edit. It's fairly extensive, and may need some more work
      on a second round. None the less, I enjoyed reading your text, and it
      should be a good OR when completed. Missing is the "testing
      environment" section, in which you state the elevation range, weather,
      temperature range and anything else pertinent to the conditions under
      which the tool was used.

      I didn't much care for the pros and cons section, as some of these
      were a bit obscure or non-specific. See my notes there. Perhaps a
      sentence summarizing the positives and negatives might be better?

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR EDITOR

      > Owner Review: SwissCard Classic T3 Credit Card Toolkit
      > Report Date: 28 April 2006
      >
      > Personal Biographical Information:
      > Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
      > Age: 23 years old
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
      > Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
      > Email: zkyf@...
      > Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      >
      > Background:
      > I started backpacking about 9 months ago, after converting from cycle
      > touring. I've experienced being a lightweight and middleweight
      > backpacker, with my carried weight ranging from 25 kg (55 lbs) when
      > very remote for 2+ wks,

      ### EDIT: weeks

      to 14 kg (37 lbs) when food is accessible
      > every few days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless shelter is provided
      > like on the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a mosquito head net and
      > ground sheet. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and
      > terrains as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using an
      > extraordinary range of equipment.
      >
      > Product information:
      > Model: Swisscard Classic T3
      > Manufacturer: Victorinox CH–6438 Ibach-Schwyz

      ### EDIT: Just Victorinox [the rest is the address, in part)

      > Year of manufacture: 2002
      > Listed Weight: 20 gm (0.7 oz)
      > Measured weight: 26 gm (0.9 oz)
      > Listed size: 3.5 mm x 81 mm x 53 mm (0.13 in x 3.18 in x 2.08 in)
      > Number of functions: 11
      > Colour: Onyx anthracite translucent (0.7133.T3)

      ### COMMENT: Is this the model number? I'd suggest omitting it, as the
      rest seems sufficient to describe it and it is no longer in stock

      > RRP: Not listed – discontinued line due to upgrade
      >
      > Product description: (paraphrased from website) The `SwissCard
      > Classic' is a first-rate practical, all-round product for every man
      > and every woman. With the elegant `SwissCard Classic' I have the most
      > essential tools and accessories always at hand. It fits perfectly
      > well into my diary, planner, wallet, briefcase or shirt pocket. It
      > could make a very attractive and worthwhile present as I value giving
      > the highest quality. The `SwissCard Classic' includes 11 functions:
      > letter opener (blade), scissors, protractor, pin, press ballpoint
      > pen, tweezers, toothpick, ruler in cm, ruler in inches, nail file,
      > and a 2 mm (0.07 in) flathead screwdriver.
      >
      > Design And Features:
      > The colour is translucent greyish black with white writing and
      > symbols. All the metallic parts are silver, with grey handles, and
      > the toothpick is yellow, sticking out like a sore thumb. The markings
      > that make up the rule and protractor are engraved on the main casing,
      > and the edge of the cm rule is bevelled at 45 degrees for more
      > accuracy in drawing straight lines. Each of the parts built for
      > the `SwissCard Classic' have bubbles built into the design to help
      > hold the parts into the whole,

      ### EDIT: I don't understand what's meant here. Could you clarify
      regarding the "bubbles," and explain how they hold the parts into the
      casing, please?

      and some of the spots where parts are
      > designed to fit have embossed images of the device that lives

      ### EDIT: "fits there" is perhaps a bit less anthropomorphic? I won't
      insist in this case...

      there.

      > Long Term Field Review:
      > Introduction:
      > When I'm trekking, I prefer to carry as little as possible when it
      > comes to metallic objects, because gram for gram they're the
      > heaviest.

      ### EDIT: Sorry, this makes no sense. A gram is a gram is a gram, to
      paraphrase Gertrude Stein. A gram of down is no heavier than a gram of
      metal. "because weight for volume they're the heaviest" would be an
      accurate statement, and I think that's close to what you meant to say.

      When I'm eliminating the unnecessarily packed weight before
      > I leave, I make an exception when I come across the `SwissCard
      > Classic', because in my experience it's been a godsend and saviour in
      > a lightweight, compact design.

      ### EDIT: This sounds a bit ecclesiastical. I expect it to show up in
      an aura of heavenly light! <g> Just leave it at "godsend." I'd omit
      the " a lightweight, compact design" because we already have that info.

      > From the moment I received it for Christmas years ago, It has lived
      > every day of it's

      ### EDIT: its

      life in the most easily accessible location of my
      > only wallet, taking pole position

      ### EDIT: "pole position" is not a phrase I know. I would suggest
      putting a period/full stop after wallet, and omitting all up to (and
      including) the dash below.

      when preparing for almost every
      > situation I've expected to find myself in – It lives next to my money
      > and identification. How much more important could I place it in my
      > day-to-day life?
      >
      > As mentioned, it lives as close as I can get it to me all the time,
      > and thus I have used it more times than I could ever imagine,
      > including at campsites on my treks and tours such as opening
      > packaging of dehydrated food while on the Bibbulmun Track. I would
      > guess on average something from it is used once a week. I haven't
      > needed to sharpen either the knife or scissors as yet but they are
      > both blunt from use in opening packaging on a regular basis. The pin
      > is gone for good after digging out a splinter from my finger I
      > dropped it and it was gone. The pen is almost out of ink from jotting
      > down the occasional important note that goes for a few pages when I
      > get carried away. The tweezers have lost their spring from all the
      > foreign objects extracted from under finger nails and getting that
      > last little bit of chocolate out of the corner of the zip lock so it
      > can be reused without cross contamination.

      ### EDIT cross-contamination

      The things I use most
      > often are the scissors and pen, but everything holds a worthy place
      > in my life:

      ### EDIT: Maybe "but all the tools are extremely useful on occasion"

      I admit I haven't used the protractor, but It's

      ### EDIT: it's

      part of
      > the casing so nothing lost by it's

      ### EDIT: its

      being there, just in case.

      > Treatment Received:
      > The `SwissCard Classic' has stood up to some brutal treatment over
      > many years, and still works the same

      ### EDIT: "as well" instead of "the same"

      as the day I received it, except
      > some things are blunt or consumed. Just a few days before writing
      > this I dropped it from navel high, and it shattered in pieces. I
      > picked up the pieces, put them back together, and it was like new
      > again.
      >
      > The knife is designed to be

      ### EDIT: instead of "to be", the more specific "to cut"

      only for paper, thin plastic and other
      > packaging that's easy to cut through, however It

      ### EDIT: it (lower case I)

      has sliced through
      > everything from food to manufacturers

      ### EDIT: manufacturer's

      plastic to cardboard in it's

      ### EFIT: its

      > life, and still cuts through paper easily.
      >
      > The scissors have also lived a violent and punishing life, cutting
      > through more things than I can remember, including fabric, cardboard,
      > leather, wire, herbs and nuts. Even the blade was bent out of shape
      > once and I machined it back into place.
      >
      > The pen has been used in every situation where I found myself needing
      > to write something down to remember for later or to sign forms when
      > everyone else's pen didn't work.
      >
      > The nail file, toothpick, tweezers, rule, protractor, screwdriver and
      > key ring are seldom if ever used, but it's nice to have them close by.

      ### EDIT: You have stated that you have used the tweezers to the point
      where they have lost their spring, and for chocolate. Maybe omit the
      tweezers from the list?

      > Maintenance:
      > Minimal. Over the years I've owned it, I haven't once done anything
      > to maintain it, besides the repair on the blades of the scissors.
      > Because I don't use it all the time in every situation where I could,
      > preferring to use items that can withstand greater punishment, the
      > tools have lasted longer than they otherwise would have, so
      > sharpening the knife or scissors, or refilling the pen has not been
      > urgent enough to warrant my attention. After using it on something
      > that creates sticky mess, like food, I generally wipe it down right
      > then to avoid mould or algae, just with a cleanish looking cloth.
      > There is no rust apparent whatsoever, and none of the parts contain

      ### EDIT: omit the "contain" from here

      > or require lubricant like oil.
      > Conclusion:
      > part of my minimum carry gear. Should I ever need to replace it, I
      > will not think twice about upgrading to the new and
      > improved "Swisscard Lite" that includes a light diode.
      >
      > Pros:
      > Small
      > Light
      > Multifunctional
      > Durable whole
      > Visible whole

      ### EDIT: I understand what you are saying above regarding durability,
      but it's not entirely clearly expressed. The "whole" is confusing. How
      about: "The unit, as a whole, is durable, though the tools are not."
      You could put "Easily visible" as a separate line.

      > Easy to use
      >
      > Cons:
      > Too minimalistic

      ### EDIT: If the set of tools is too minimalistic, that should be
      discussed in the main text. What tools does this lack that you have
      needed? Since you are using this as a multi-tool, this is important.

      > Functions not precisely to my needs

      ### EDIT: Perhaps "Not all tools precisely fit my needs"

      > Easy to lose parts
      > Easy to break parts

      ### EDIT: "parts" or "tools" here?

      > Expensive to buy
      > Expensive to replace parts

      ### EDIT: This is something that might be touched on earlier, in the
      main body of the text. I was wondering, for example, why you hadn't
      replaced the pen.

      > Some parts don't suit the whole

      ### EDIT: I'm not sure what this last "con" means. Omit or clarify.

    • Karl
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
        Gday Ted,
        Most of edits conducted. I have doubts about the following.
        1) "Is this the model number? I'd suggest omitting it, as the
        rest seems sufficient to describe it and it is no longer in stock" -
        the words mentioned are a perfectly accurate description of the
        colour. the number in brackets is a amalgam of the colour code, used
        by Victorinox to more easily classify colour, followed by the model
        number. One of the colours of the new model is the same as the old,
        so it may be relevant information to prospective buyers to ensure
        they get the colour they want. There are other similar colours
        available. Should I omit it anyway?
        2) The Victorinox Website implies the SwissCard Classic is still
        available for retail sale, yet is no longer in production. Please
        advise on changes I may make to 'Product Information - RRP' to more
        acurately purvey this than saying "discontinued line due to upgrade."
        3) The "bubbles" mentioned are small ball shaped extrusions of the
        casing, that the website have called bubbles as I believe during the
        manufacturing process a controlled pocket of air was purposely formed
        in certain locations. A similar shaped cone was formed in the handle
        of the corresponging tool, so when inserted it sort of locks in
        place, preventing it from falling out of it's own free will. The cone
        falls over the ball capping the handle and it's tool in place, but
        can b easily removed with a small amount of sliding force applied to
        the tool, pulling the cone over the ball. How can I better explain
        this in the review text?
        4) "Pole position" means 'given preferrential treatment by being
        moved to the front of the pack', like the respect racers are given in
        the placement of competitors in a major, open-to-the-public event.
        The fastest are generally moved to the front so they can break away
        from the pack without having to deal with 'traffic' getting in the
        way. Having said that, I agree with your comments and edits so it has
        been changed for ease of reading.

        I thank you for your tolerance, and hope to hear from you soon
        regarding the second round of edits we both expect will occur. Below
        is the updated OR for your scrutiny, which I greatly appreciate.

        "
        Owner Review: SwissCard Classic T3 Credit Card Toolkit
        Report Date: 28 April 2006

        Personal Biographical Information:
        Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
        Age: 23 years old
        Gender: Male
        Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
        Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
        Email: zkyf@...
        Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia

        Background:
        I started backpacking about 9 months ago, after converting from cycle
        touring. I've experienced being a lightweight and middleweight
        backpacker, with my carried weight ranging from 25 kg (55 lbs) when
        very remote for 2+ weeks, to 14 kg (37 lbs) when food is accessible
        every few days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless shelter is provided
        like on the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a mosquito head net and
        ground sheet. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and
        terrains as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using an
        extraordinary range of equipment.

        Product information:
        Model: Swisscard Classic T3
        Manufacturer: Victorinox
        Year of manufacture: 2002
        Listed Weight: 20 gm (0.7 oz)
        Measured weight: 26 gm (0.9 oz)
        Listed size: 3.5 mm x 81 mm x 53 mm (0.13 in x 3.18 in x 2.08 in)
        Number of functions: 11
        Colour: Onyx anthracite translucent (0.7133.T3)
        RRP: Not listed

[...]

        hold the parts into the whole, and some of the places where parts are
        designed to fit have embossed images of the device that belongs there.

        Testing Environment:
        My card has travelled over 1500 km (932 ml) of trekking and cycle
        touring, on terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain elevations
        to 1095 m (3592 ft), and very dense subtropical rainforest. Most of
        the sack's life has been between 100 and 600 m (328 to 1968 ft) above
        sea level, on a well defined track in SW Western Australia surrounded
        by sparse trees and semi dense low lying shrub. Temperatures range
        from –14 C (7 F) on the coldest night to 35 C (95 F) on the hottest
        day, with averages ranging from 0 C (32 F) at night to 23 C (73 F) in
        daylight. Over that time, It has stayed in my wallet for the entire
        time, except when in use. It has been subjected to the very high
        degrees of pressure in the pack.

        Long Term Field Review:
        Introduction:
        When I'm trekking, I prefer to carry as little as possible when it
        comes to metallic objects, because weight for volume they're the
        heaviest. When I'm eliminating the unnecessarily packed weight before
        I leave, I make an exception when I come across the `SwissCard
        Classic', because in my experience it's been a godsend.

        From the moment I received it for Christmas years ago, It has lived
        every day of its life in the most easily accessible location of my
        only wallet. It lives next to my money and identification. How much
        more important could I place it in my day-to-day life?

        As mentioned, it lives as close as I can get it to me all the time,
        and thus I have used it more times than I could ever imagine,
        including at campsites on my treks and tours such as opening
        packaging of dehydrated food while on the Bibbulmun Track. I would
        guess on average something from it is used once a week. I haven't
        needed to sharpen either the knife or scissors as yet but they are
        both pretty blunt from use in opening packaging. The pin is gone for
        good after digging out a splinter from my finger I dropped it and it
        was gone. The pen is almost out of ink from jotting down the
        occasional important note that goes for a few pages when I get
        carried away. The tweezers have lost some of their spring from all
        the foreign objects extracted from under fingernails and getting that
        last little bit of chocolate out of the corner of the zip lock so it
        can be reused without cross-contamination. The things I use most
        often are the scissors and pen, but all the tools are useful on
        occasion: I admit I haven't used the protractor, but it's part of the
        casing so nothing lost by its being there, just in case. The
        consumable items listed above can be replaced, however the
        infrastructure associated with refilling a ballpoint pen with ink is
        expensive, and rare in Perth given our disposable society, and
        replacing it means having the part(s) imported especially.

        I would have benefited far greater from the object if the selection
        of tools catered more for an outback environment, instead of office
        tools. A light diode may have helped when changing the battery of my
        main headlamp in the dark, a magnifying glass may have helped in
        reading my map, a locking blade would have felt a bit safer to use,
        and a serrated edge on part of the blade would have helped in cutting
        more durable materials.

        Treatment Received:
        The `SwissCard Classic' has stood up to some brutal treatment over
        many years, and still works as well as the day I received it, except
        some things are blunt or consumed. Just a few days before writing
        this I dropped it from navel high, and it shattered in pieces. I
        picked up the pieces, put them back together, and it was like new
        again.

        The knife is designed to cut paper, thin plastic and other packaging
        that's easy to cut through, however it has sliced through everything
        from food to manufacturer's plastic to cardboard in its life, and
        still cuts through paper easily.

        The scissors have also lived a violent and punishing life, cutting
        through more things than I can remember, including fabric, cardboard,
        leather, wire, herbs and nuts. Even the blade was bent out of shape
        once and I machined it back into place.

        The pen has been used in every situation where I found myself needing
        to write something down to remember for later or to sign forms when
        everyone else's pen didn't work.

        The nail file, toothpick, rule, protractor, screwdriver and key ring
        are seldom used, but it's nice to have them close by.

        Maintenance:
        Minimal. Over the years I've owned it, I haven't once done anything
        to maintain it, besides the repair on the blades of the scissors.
        Because I don't use it all the time in every situation where I could,
        preferring to use items that can withstand greater punishment, the
        tools have lasted longer than they otherwise would have, so
        sharpening the knife or scissors, or refilling the pen has not been
        urgent enough to warrant my attention. After using it on something
        that creates sticky mess, like food, I generally wipe it down right
        then to avoid mould or algae, just with a cleanish looking cloth.
        There is no rust apparent whatsoever, and none of the parts require
        lubricant like oil.
        Conclusion:
        part of my minimum carry gear. Should I ever need to replace it, I
        will not think twice about upgrading to the new and
        improved "Swisscard Lite" that includes a light diode.

        Pros:
        Small
        Light
        Multifunctional
        As a whole, it's durable
        As a whole, it's visible
        Easy to use

        Cons:
        Too minimalistic
        Not all functions fit my needs
        Easy to lose tools
        Easy to break tools
        Expensive to buy
        Expensive to replace parts
        "

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
          Hello Karl,

          I have two small edits for you in the main text, and some feedback on
          some of the questions you asked, but I'd now like you to put an HTML
          version in the test folder. I'll check it over for any last-moment
          text problems and for the HTML itself, then you'll be in good shape.
          Please let me know on this BGT list when it's ready for checking.

          Best,

          Ted
          BGT OR Editor

          > Gday Ted,
          > Most of edits conducted. I have doubts about the following.
          > 1) "Is this the model number? I'd suggest omitting it, as the
          > rest seems sufficient to describe it and it is no longer in stock" -
          > the words mentioned are a perfectly accurate description of the
          > colour. the number in brackets is a amalgam of the colour code, used
          > by Victorinox to more easily classify colour, followed by the model
          > number. One of the colours of the new model is the same as the old,
          > so it may be relevant information to prospective buyers to ensure
          > they get the colour they want. There are other similar colours
          > available. Should I omit it anyway?

          ### TED: OK then, just write in the bracket (Model no. 0.7133.T3) It's
          obvious enough that this is the model number, but it never hurts to
          clarify.

          > 2) The Victorinox Website implies the SwissCard Classic is still
          > available for retail sale, yet is no longer in production. Please
          > advise on changes I may make to 'Product Information - RRP' to more
          > acurately purvey this than saying "discontinued line due to upgrade."

          ### TED: I think it's OK as is, really. Remember, this review will be
          in place for years.

          > 3) The "bubbles" mentioned are small ball shaped extrusions of the
          > casing, that the website have called bubbles as I believe during the
          > manufacturing process a controlled pocket of air was purposely formed
          > in certain locations. A similar shaped cone was formed in the handle
          > of the corresponging tool, so when inserted it sort of locks in
          > place, preventing it from falling out of it's own free will. The cone
          > falls over the ball capping the handle and it's tool in place, but
          > can b easily removed with a small amount of sliding force applied to
          > the tool, pulling the cone over the ball. How can I better explain
          > this in the review text?

          ### TED: Well, that's a good explanation. Incorporate a brief version
          of this at the appropriate point (see my comment in the text),
          something along the lines of:

          "The tools are held in the case by "bubbles" (as the website calls
          them). These are extrusions from the casing formed by introducing a
          pocket of air during the manufacturing process. A similar shaped cone
          is formed on the handle of the tool, so that when inserted it locks
          into place against the bubble, but the resistance created can be
          easily overcome when sliding the tool out." Or words to that effect.

          > 4) "Pole position" means 'given preferrential treatment by being
          > moved to the front of the pack', like the respect racers are given in
          > the placement of competitors in a major, open-to-the-public event.
          > The fastest are generally moved to the front so they can break away
          > from the pack without having to deal with 'traffic' getting in the
          > way. Having said that, I agree with your comments and edits so it has
          > been changed for ease of reading.

          ### TED: Yup, maybe my ignorance, but I had never heard the expression.

          > I thank you for your tolerance, and hope to hear from you soon
          > regarding the second round of edits we both expect will occur. Below
          > is the updated OR for your scrutiny, which I greatly appreciate.

          ### TED: My pleasure!

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Design And Features:
          > The colour is translucent greyish black with white writing and
          > symbols. All the metallic parts are silver, with grey handles, and
          > the toothpick is yellow, sticking out like a sore thumb. The markings
          > that make up the rule and protractor are engraved on the main casing,
          > and the edge of the cm rule is bevelled at 45 degrees for more
          > accuracy in drawing straight lines. Each of the parts built for
          > the `SwissCard Classic' have bubbles

          ### COMMENT: Somewhere around here is where the text explaining the
          bubble locking mechanism should go, as per my comment at the head of
          the text.

          built into the design to help
          > hold the parts into the whole, and some of the places where parts are
          > designed to fit have embossed images of the device that belongs there.
          >
          > Testing Environment:
          > My card has travelled over 1500 km (932 ml)

          ### EDIT m [ml is the abbreviation for milliliters--don't worry, the
          imperial measurement users will understand)!

          .