EDIT/APPROVAL- Fibraplex Carbon Fiber tent pole set - Jerry Goller

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
      Hello Jerry,

      Interesting review. I've thought of getting a set of these for a tent
      of mine, although the weight saving just wasn't there for the one I
      had in mind (only two shortish poles). I have a few edits and a
      comment (well, two, but one doesn't relate to the text). Please upload
      when ready to

      http://tinyurl.com/o8k5l

      Ted

      BGT OR Editor

      > MSRP: $115.00

      EDIT: ### MSRP: #115.00 US

      > Listed weight: 7.55 oz (214 g)
      > Weight as Delivered: 7.55 oz (215 g)

      That is a weight savings of almost 50
      > percent.

      ### EDIT: Can we settle on "over 40% lighter?" It's actually a tad
      under 44 percent, which normally I'd round down, not up. If I read
      "almost 50 percent" I think 48 or 49 percent, not 44...

      > With the exception of the aluminum locking pole tips, the entire
      pole set,
      > hubs included, are

      ### EDIT: is (agrees with "set," singular)

      made from .242" (6.15 mm) carbon fiber hollow rods. The
      > picture below marked "Hub Detail" shows a detail of the carbon fiber
      hubs.
      > The picture below marked "Crossover Detail" shows how elastic cord
      was used
      > to control the crossover pole. Very light and very simple. The last
      picture
      > below, marked "Ferrule Detail" shows the ferrules formed by inserting a
      > smaller diameter carbon fiber section, 4" (102 mm) long, in the pole
      section
      > and bonding it with 2" (51 mm) exposed to be inserted into the next
      pole.
      > There is no metal in the Fibraplex ferrules.

      ### COMMENT: though the picture helps explain, I wonder if you ought
      to clarify what a ferrule is (this is technically a "pressed-in
      ferrule," but that's going too far). Not sure that the average tent
      user would know the term.

      > Field Test Results
      >
      > I want to say at the start that I broke the first set of poles I
      received. I
      > also want to clarify that I broke that pole set through my own
      carelessness.
      > I picked up the tent, about half way between the crossover pole and
      the hub,
      > by the single middle pole. To make it worse, my sleeping bag and pad was
      > still in the tent. The pole broke at the ferrule nearest the
      crossover pole.

      ### COMMENT: Oops! Before coffee, by any chance?

      > My experiences with the Fibraplex pole set have been very positive. The
      > poles join together smoothly with no hanging.

      ### EDIT: hanging? Not clear on the meaning here.

      The set holds the Hubba as
      > taunt

      ### EDIT: taut

      as the stock pole set did.

      > There is no evidence of splitting or cracking of the carbon fiber
      pole ends,
      > even though these poles have no metal reinforcing.

      > Conclusion
      >
      > Although expensive, I feel the Fibraplex replacement tent pole set
      is worth
      > the money. It has performed flawlessly over the last year and
      reduced the
      > gross tent weight by over a quarter of a pound (tenth of a kilogram).

      ### EDIT: maybe "over a third of a pound..." You sell the weight
      saving short otherwise.

      For
      > me, the bill will soon be forgotten. But the lighter weight of the
      tent will
      > always be there.
      >
      > .

      ### EDIT: Random periods make god jump.

    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006

        _____

        Interesting review. I've thought of getting a set of these for a tent
        of mine, although the weight saving just wasn't there for the one I
        had in mind (only two shortish poles). I have a few edits and a
        comment (well, two, but one doesn't relate to the text). Please upload
        when ready to

        http://tinyurl.com/o8k5l

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        > MSRP: $115.00

        EDIT: ### MSRP: #115.00 US

        [Jerry ] Done.

        > Listed weight: 7.55 oz (214 g)
        > Weight as Delivered: 7.55 oz (215 g)

        That is a weight savings of almost 50
        > percent.

        ### EDIT: Can we settle on "over 40% lighter?" It's actually a tad
        under 44 percent, which normally I'd round down, not up. If I read
        "almost 50 percent" I think 48 or 49 percent, not 44...

        [Jerry ] My calculator puts it at .4485+ so I'll just change it to 45%

        > With the exception of the aluminum locking pole tips, the entire
        pole set,
        > hubs included, are

        ### EDIT: is (agrees with "set," singular)

        [Jerry ] Yup, I was tired... But the other sounds better.... ;o) Done.

        made from .242" (6.15 mm) carbon fiber hollow rods. The
        > picture below marked "Hub Detail" shows a detail of the carbon fiber
        hubs.
        > The picture below marked "Crossover Detail" shows how elastic cord
        was used
        > to control the crossover pole. Very light and very simple. The last
        picture
        > below, marked "Ferrule Detail" shows the ferrules formed by inserting a
        > smaller diameter carbon fiber section, 4" (102 mm) long, in the pole
        section
        > and bonding it with 2" (51 mm) exposed to be inserted into the next
        pole.
        > There is no metal in the Fibraplex ferrules.

        ### COMMENT: though the picture helps explain, I wonder if you ought
        to clarify what a ferrule is (this is technically a "pressed-in
        ferrule," but that's going too far). Not sure that the average tent
        user would know the term.

        [Jerry ] Hmmmm...I have to admit, it never crossed my mind to define
        "ferrule". Do you really think, from the applicable sentences, that what a
        ferrule is isn't obvious. If you honestly think so I come up with some
        simple definition. No thing. I added a very brief (being me) description of
        what a ferrule does.

        > Field Test Results
        >
        > I want to say at the start that I broke the first set of poles I
        received. I
        > also want to clarify that I broke that pole set through my own
        carelessness.
        > I picked up the tent, about half way between the crossover pole and
        the hub,
        > by the single middle pole. To make it worse, my sleeping bag and pad was
        > still in the tent. The pole broke at the ferrule nearest the
        crossover pole.

        ### COMMENT: Oops! Before coffee, by any chance?

        [Jerry ] Nope. Out in my tent test area. Just in a hurry with my head
        stuck.

        > My experiences with the Fibraplex pole set have been very positive. The
        > poles join together smoothly with no hanging.

        ### EDIT: hanging? Not clear on the meaning here.

        [Jerry ] Would "binding" be easier to understand? I don't know how to put
        it much more simply.

        The set holds the Hubba as
        > taunt

        ### EDIT: taut

        [Jerry ] You don't know that tent.... ;o) Changed.

        as the stock pole set did.

        > There is no evidence of splitting or cracking of the carbon fiber
        pole ends,
        > even though these poles have no metal reinforcing.

        > Conclusion
        >
        > Although expensive, I feel the Fibraplex replacement tent pole set
        is worth
        > the money. It has performed flawlessly over the last year and
        reduced the
        > gross tent weight by over a quarter of a pound (tenth of a kilogram).

        ### EDIT: maybe "over a third of a pound..." You sell the weight
        saving short otherwise.

        [Jerry ] Good one. Changed.

        For
        > me, the bill will soon be forgotten. But the lighter weight of the
        tent will
        > always be there.
        >
        > .

        ### EDIT: Random periods make god jump.

        [Jerry ] Weird. That one was actually hard to find. I can't imagine how it
        got there.

        Survival
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Survival+guide&w1=Survival+guide&w2=Hig
        h&w3=Hiking&w4=Tester&w5=Alaska+hiking&w6=Alaska+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=tpVS
        jmKA9gZ7rtwWsoE6Bg> guide High
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=High&w1=Survival+guide&w2=High&w3=Hikin
        g&w4=Tester&w5=Alaska+hiking&w6=Alaska+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=0FVdi2fAaOSjMR
        3PrZNvEQ> Hiking
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking&w1=Survival+guide&w2=High&w3=Hik
        ing&w4=Tester&w5=Alaska+hiking&w6=Alaska+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=CguboKTRGbOX
        gQq6wUZF9Q>
        Tester
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tester&w1=Survival+guide&w2=High&w3=Hik
        ing&w4=Tester&w5=Alaska+hiking&w6=Alaska+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=69PC3MpIbhOB
        B2LxljfKCA> Alaska
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+hiking&w1=Survival+guide&w2=High
        &w3=Hiking&w4=Tester&w5=Alaska+hiking&w6=Alaska+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=vAwEN
        _I6VNjS18WbCWwRxA> hiking Alaska
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Survival+guide&w2=Hi
        gh&w3=Hiking&w4=Tester&w5=Alaska+hiking&w6=Alaska+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=8_S
        HVwWBGT9KwpVbYTqD5Q> outdoors

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "BackpackGearTest
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
          Got the upload notice. All good, Jerry. Thanks!

          Ted.
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
            And thank you, sir, for the edits!