Re: [BackpackGearTest] Subject: Re: Jamie D - BIP

  • Kirez Reynolds
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      I've had the misfortune of encountering rattlesnakes in the water (Mojave
      Green, no less), so yes, I'll confirm it from firsthand experience. They
      swim *fast*.

      I've repeatedly made the same mistake when encountering dangers on the
      surface of the water --- I dive. Only after several seconds do I start to
      think: Wait! How do I know when & where it's safe to come back up??!!

      Bad times to dive: 1. A mojave green rattler is swimming towards you and
      you're in a brown-water cow pond, 2. You find yourself in the midst of a
      pack of daredevils on jetskis who can't see you, 3. You're swimming across a
      busy harbor exit channel and visibility is about 5 feet.

      Good times to dive: Whenever threatened by large waves. When you find
      yourself caught between an ocean liner and the dock wall. When fishermen on
      a pier decide it's fun to cast at you (persian gulf scenario!). When you see
      sewage poured onto the water and floating toward you -- too true. :-(

      On 5/31/06, Roger Caffin <r.caffin@...> wrote:

      > > There was a debate on a local list to which I belong about whether or
      > > not rattlers could swim and if so would their rattle still sound. The
      > > verdict was, yes they do swim and when wet the rattle is not as
      > > pronouced.
      > >
      > > Are Tigers regular swimmers?
      > Afaik, ALL snakes can swim quite well. Certainly, Tiger snakes can and do
      > swim. It can be a bit of a surprise when you
      > realise one is swimming next to you ...
      >
      > Cheers
      > Roger Caffin

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
        This email makes me want to stay out of the water altogether!! And
        honestly, the snake sounds the most preferable to all the others.
        Raw sewage?? No thank you.

        jamie

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kirez Reynolds"