Re: [BackpackGearTest] Light Weight Crampons

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2001
      The April 1st date was only after much begging. I'm afraid that is as soon as we can get them. I ran into Danny Giovale, owner of Kahtoola, at REI this afternoon. I was with Tom Hennessy and he had lots of good things to say about us to Danny. Danny is very excited about the reviews but the first production run is already sold out. I'll email him later and see about possibly getting one or two pair early for the east coast but no promises.
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
        I was afraid there wouldn't be all that much ice and snow on the east side. Is there any place back east that would still have ice then?
        Jerry
          From: Mara Factor <m_factor@...>
          To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 10:51 AM

          Hi Jerry,

          Is the April 1 date you mention for the Kahtoola's, the date we could expect
          to have them in hand?  I am interested in participating but at that late
          date, I would expect to have to test them in the White Mountains of New
          Hampshire where conditions could be a bit unreliable.  Much later and it's
          possible to miss out altogether.  I would always be able to seek out pockets
          of spring ice and snow to play in for limited testing but more lengthy day
          hikes in the crampons might not be possible.

          <geartester@...>
          <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [BackpackGearTest]
          Light Weight Crampons
          >Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:09:48
          -0700

          Jerry
          pct-l@...
          >Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 7:08
          PM
          >Subject: Light Weight Crampons
          >

          >I was offered 5
          pairs of Kahtoola light weight, flexible, collapsible
          >crampons that fit
          trail shoes, light boots and winter boots. I am
          >interested in at least 2
          people that are doing the Sierra portion of the
          >PCT this year to be
          included in the reviews. You keep the crampons at the
          >end of the test IF
          YOU COMPLETE ALL THREE REPORTS AS REQUIRED. I CAN'T OVER
          >STRESS THE
          IMPORTANCE OF COMPLETING THE REPORTS AS REQUIRED! Check them out
          www.kahtoola.com .The first production run is sold out but I whined and
          >begged and pleaded and got a commitment for the 5 by April 1, 2001 which
          >was the best I could do. We'll be testing and reviewing them on
          >BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com .
          >I made contact with a number
          of manufacturers and got gear commitments.
          >Another one I found
          interesting Lowe. They were very receptive about their
          >entire line. We
          will be testing multiple items from them. Leki was also
          >impressed. I'm
          still going through all of it so I'll post to BPGT was I get
          >it sorted
          out. Some of the gear, like the Exchanger Masks I got, are time
          >sensitive. I got 5 of those also. I'm going to rejoin AT-L and post to
          it
          >too. We need as many listers as we can get and QUALITY, COMPLETE,
          TIMELY
          >REVIEWS. Stay tuned. You're not going to believe some of the gear
          we get to
          >test.....=o). I even found stuff for Monty and the HD
          crowd!
          >Jerry

        • George Cole
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
            <SNIP>The April 1st date was only after much begging. I'm afraid that is as
            soon as we can get them. I ran into Danny Giovale, owner of Kahtoola, at REI
            this afternoon. I was with Tom Hennessy and he had lots of good things to
            say about us to Danny. Danny is very excited about the reviews but the first
            production run is already sold out. I'll email him later and see about
            possibly getting one or two pair early for the east coast but no promises.
            Jerry<SNIP>

            Jerry:

            I belong to the club that maintains the AT in southern VA (PATH). We go up
            even during the winter, and at times have had icy conditions in places into
            April, but it's no sure thing. Independently, I'm trying to get into the
            mountains as much as I can this winter, and am doing Mt. Rogers at end of
            this month. I'm hoping for "bad" weather so I can try the Hennessy in snow
            and sub-zero temps, and I'm also taking a pair of Stabilicers and
            Get-a-grips for testing. Were the Kahtoolas available by then, I'd give
            them a go. April is a real crap shoot, but if Kahtoola is willing to take a
            chance.... I'd certainly send them back if test conditions do not arise,
            but if Kahtoola can't get any out before April they'd probably be better off
            waiting till next season.

            George

            FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
          • Justin Vlietstra
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
              Any of the mountains in the northeast would be suitable in April. White
              Mountains, Adirondacks, Catskills. I hike in the Adirondacks and I've been
              chest deep in snow in mid June (although that is rare). Snow was pretty
              much gone by memorial day last year. Snowshoes and/or crampons are
              definitely needed to climb the high peaks in early may. The trails are
              usually still well packed snow and ice. I'll probably go on at least one
              trip up there in April so I'll volunteer to test the crampons. It is
              definitely late though. I have 4 more backpacking trips planned in the
              Adirondack high peaks this winter, but the last of them is mid march.

              side. Is there any place back east that would still have ice then?
              Jerry
              Hi Jerry...I have to agree with mara....as much as I enjoy testing out new
              gear...I dont think there will be enough ice in the adirondacks after april
              1st. <<<<
            • Michael Tocci
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                The best I can offer is that we see whats what on april 1st.  I know some of the higher peaks...like giant, marcy, wolf jaw etc may still have some white stuff in april..but you never know...if its there I'll climb it!

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
                  I have seen snow in the adirondacks as late as june...but I have also seen it ice-less by april 1st...

                  I -----Original Message-----
                  From: Gear Tester <geartester@...>
                  To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Thursday, February 01, 2001 9:09 AM

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                    Hi Jerry,

                    I would definitely like to be considered for the Kahtoola test. At a
                    minimum, I would be able to do some testing in the White Mountains in patchy
                    snow and ice. I could seek out hikes to higher elevations to give myself
                    maximum testing time for the crampons. Given the Kahtoola website however,
                    I'm sure their ideal testers should be able to put them on and wear them all
                    day. I doubt those conditions will exist in the Whites.

                    I would suggest you wait until mid to late March to make a final
                    determination about testers in the northeast. By then, we should have a
                    better idea of the conditions here in the Whites, the ADKs, and anywhere
                    else in the northeast people might be able to try them. With any luck,
                    we'll have some late season snows followed by freezing rain and a cold snap.
                    :-)

                    For myself, though I may not be able to find a day long hike to wear them
                    on, I could probably play around with them and try them on a variety of
                    footwear, from trail shoes, to Limmers, to Sorels. I wear a men's 12 (or
                    women's 13). While they are not supposed to be an equivalent tool, I would
                    also compare them with my full 12 point hinged adjustable crampons to help
                    others understand both the similarities and differences.

                    Thanks for your consideration,

                    Mara Factor
                    AT99, NH4000'ers

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                      Jerry..I couldn't agree more...we have been getting some snow up here the past few days...and forecast is for an additional foot or more tonight!  Yeah...but how it will be in 7 weeks is anyones guess...one of the nice things about the weather in the daks is that if you don't like it...stick around it will be different in a few minutes!!--Original Message-----
                      From: Mara Factor <m_factor@...>
                      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Monday, February 05, 2001 11:36 AM

                      <cmtocci@...>
                      >Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:22:47
                      -0800

                      Message -----

                    • bbaker@noochee.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 7, 2001
                        BackpackGearTest@y... .
                        > Jerry

                        Jerry-
                        I'd like to be considered as a volunteer tester for the Kahtoola
                        lightweight crampons. I live in Colorado and the crampons would
                        be very handy for early season (April-May) 14er attempts as well
                        as high altitude backpacking trips. I have experience with
                        mountaineering and vertical ice crampons, so I have some
                        (tangentially) related products to compare the Kahtoolas with.

                        Brad Baker