Subject: Re: Jamie D - BIP

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 2:24 PM
      > There was a debate on a local list to which I belong about whether or
      > not rattlers could swim and if so would their rattle still sound. The
      > verdict was, yes they do swim and when wet the rattle is not as
      > pronouced.
      >
      > Are Tigers regular swimmers?
      Afaik, ALL snakes can swim quite well. Certainly, Tiger snakes can and do swim. It can be a bit of a surprise when you
      realise one is swimming next to you ...

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 7:36 AM
        At 05:24 AM 31/05/2006, you wrote:
        > > There was a debate on a local list to which I belong about whether or
        > > Are Tigers regular swimmers?
        >Afaik, ALL snakes can swim quite well. Certainly, Tiger snakes can
        >and do swim. It can be a bit of a surprise when you
        >realise one is swimming next to you ...

        Ahh pass ...

        Andrew
      • Kirez Reynolds
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 12:50 PM
          I've had the misfortune of encountering rattlesnakes in the water (Mojave
          Green, no less), so yes, I'll confirm it from firsthand experience. They
          swim *fast*.

          I've repeatedly made the same mistake when encountering dangers on the
          surface of the water --- I dive. Only after several seconds do I start to
          think: Wait! How do I know when & where it's safe to come back up??!!

          Bad times to dive: 1. A mojave green rattler is swimming towards you and
          you're in a brown-water cow pond, 2. You find yourself in the midst of a
          pack of daredevils on jetskis who can't see you, 3. You're swimming across a
          busy harbor exit channel and visibility is about 5 feet.

          Good times to dive: Whenever threatened by large waves. When you find
          yourself caught between an ocean liner and the dock wall. When fishermen on
          a pier decide it's fun to cast at you (persian gulf scenario!). When you see
          sewage poured onto the water and floating toward you -- too true. :-(

          On 5/31/06, Roger Caffin <r.caffin@...> wrote:

          > > There was a debate on a local list to which I belong about whether or
          > > not rattlers could swim and if so would their rattle still sound. The
          > > verdict was, yes they do swim and when wet the rattle is not as
          > > pronouced.
          > >
          > > Are Tigers regular swimmers?
          > Afaik, ALL snakes can swim quite well. Certainly, Tiger snakes can and do
          > swim. It can be a bit of a surprise when you
          > realise one is swimming next to you ...
          >
          > Cheers
          > Roger Caffin

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            This email makes me want to stay out of the water altogether!! And
            honestly, the snake sounds the most preferable to all the others.
            Raw sewage?? No thank you.

            jamie

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kirez Reynolds"