Jamie D - BIP

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 12 , May 27, 2006
      I made it out of rattlesnake alley alive. I will be catching up this
      afternoon and should be able to post the weekly Edit Queue later
      tonight.

      jamie d
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 12 , May 27, 2006
        At 07:43 AM 28/05/2006, you wrote:
        >I made it out of rattlesnake alley alive. I will be catching up this
        >afternoon and should be able to post the weekly Edit Queue later
        >tonight.

        Welcome back Jamie.

        Ros
      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 12 , May 27, 2006
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

          > I made it out of rattlesnake alley alive.

          Welcome back Jamie. Where were you?

          Ray
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 12 , May 27, 2006
            Hi Ray,

            I went to Araviapa Canyon in s.central Arizona. We had a little 9 yr
            old girl with us on her first bpacking trip so we didn't go that far
            in but within the first mile of hiking we saw 3 rattlers. I'm sure
            the total would have been higher but for safety reasons we hiking in
            the creek as much as we could.

            It is quite a beautiful place. I hope to get some of my pics up
            soon.

            Jamie

            <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I made it out of rattlesnake alley alive.
            >
            > Welcome back Jamie. Where were you?
            >
            > Ray

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2006
              At 01:50 PM 28/05/2006, you wrote:
              >Hi Ray,
              >
              >I went to Araviapa Canyon in s.central Arizona. We had a little 9 yr
              >old girl with us on her first bpacking trip so we didn't go that far
              >in but within the first mile of hiking we saw 3 rattlers.

              We just went for a walk this morning around "my" lake (it is about 2
              mins walk away from my front door) and saw one Tiger snake having a swim.

              Andrew
            • Roger Caffin
              Message 6 of 12 , May 28, 2006
                > From: "Andrew Priest" apriest@...
                > Date: Sat May 27, 2006 8:27pm(PDT)
                > Subject: Re: Jamie D - BIP

                > Welcome back Jamie.
                > Ros

                Ugh. Horrible thought - or mind-image.

                Note to non-Australians - don't even bother trying to understand this.

                Cheers
                Roger Caffin
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 12 , May 29, 2006
                  There was a debate on a local list to which I belong about whether or
                  not rattlers could swim and if so would their rattle still sound. The
                  verdict was, yes they do swim and when wet the rattle is not as
                  pronouced.

                  Are Tigers regular swimmers?

                  jamie

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
                  wrote:

                  > At 01:50 PM 28/05/2006, you wrote:
                  > >Hi Ray,
                  > >
                  > >I went to Araviapa Canyon in s.central Arizona. We had a little 9
                  yr
                  > >old girl with us on her first bpacking trip so we didn't go that far
                  > >in but within the first mile of hiking we saw 3 rattlers.
                  >
                  > We just went for a walk this morning around "my" lake (it is about 2
                  > mins walk away from my front door) and saw one Tiger snake having a
                  swim.

                  > Andrew

                • Ralph Ditton
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 30, 2006
                    Hi Jamie,

                    They don't mind the water as they feed on frogs and tadpoles.

                    I have a web site done by some primary school kids who did a school project
                    on the Tiger Snake that you may find interesting.

                    Go to : http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/animals/tigersnake.htm

                    The one I nearly trod on at Easter time was on the track about 15 yards from
                    a creek.

                    Ciao

                    Ralph

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 30, 2006
                      Love this bit Ralph:

                      "The way to find out if Tiger Snakes have venom or not is to grab the
                      back of their jaw and put the Tiger Snake's teeth to a jar with a
                      peace of balloon rubber stuck on top.
                      If venom comes out of their teeth it means that it has venom."

                      I can just imagine the teacher "Right kids, this next bit is going to
                      be interesting......"

                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
                      <rdassetts@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jamie,
                      >
                      > They don't mind the water as they feed on frogs and tadpoles.
                      >
                      > I have a web site done by some primary school kids who did a school
                      project
                      > on the Tiger Snake that you may find interesting.
                      >
                      > Go to : http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/animals/tigersnake.htm
                      >
                      > The one I nearly trod on at Easter time was on the track about 15
                      yards from
                      > a creek.
                      >
                      > Ciao
                      >
                      > Ralph
                      >

                      > _____

                    • Ralph Ditton
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                        Hi Graham,

                        The school must be training budding Steve Irwins.

                        Cheers

                        Ralph

                        _____

                        <rdassetts@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jamie,
                        >
                        > They don't mind the water as they feed on frogs and tadpoles.
                        >
                        > I have a web site done by some primary school kids who did a school
                        project
                        > on the Tiger Snake that you may find interesting.
                        >
                        > Go to : http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/animals/tigersnake.htm
                        >
                        > The one I nearly trod on at Easter time was on the track about 15
                        yards from
                        > a creek.
                        >
                        > Ciao
                        >
                        > Ralph

                        _____

                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                          Thanks Ralph. My son loves learing about snakes so I'll check it
                          out when he can join me. I appreciate it.

                          jamie

                          <rdassetts@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Jamie,
                          >
                          > They don't mind the water as they feed on frogs and tadpoles.
                          >
                          > I have a web site done by some primary school kids who did a
                          school project
                          > on the Tiger Snake that you may find interesting.
                          >
                          > Go to : http://teachit.acreekps.vic.edu.au/animals/tigersnake.htm
                          >
                          > The one I nearly trod on at Easter time was on the track about 15
                          yards from
                          > a creek.
                          >
                          > Ciao
                          >
                          > Ralph
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Andrew Priest
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                            At 11:52 PM 30/05/2006, you wrote:
                            >Love this bit Ralph:
                            >
                            >"The way to find out if Tiger Snakes have venom or not is to grab the
                            >back of their jaw and put the Tiger Snake's teeth to a jar with a
                            >peace of balloon rubber stuck on top.
                            >If venom comes out of their teeth it means that it has venom."
                            >
                            >I can just imagine the teacher "Right kids, this next bit is going to
                            >be interesting......"

                            Love it ... thanks for the highlight Graham :-)

                            Andrew