EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2006
      Hello Ben,

      Here's your edit. This is an interesting first OR, and I don't have
      any dramatic edits for you--you have done a good job. One point not
      covered below that left me curious was how smoothly the combined zips
      operate, should you need to leave the bag at night (or on getting up
      in the morning, for that matter). Also, you should perhaps emphasize
      (assuming that I have this correct) that this will work only with
      full-zip bags. Many lightweight bags have only 2/3 zips.

      Since the number of edits is relatively small, after making them
      please place your HTML version in the test folder at

      http://tinyurl.com/7p4t6

      and notify me on this list when you have done so. I'll review the
      appearance, and check the text again, after which you should be OK to
      upload.

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR Editor

      > Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler

      ### EDIT: Should read

      Owner Review Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler
      Date: April 29, 2006

      > Reviewer Information:
      >
      > Name: Ben Rakestraw
      > Age: 24
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      > Weight: 135 lb (61 kg)
      > Email Address: snowfiend131@...
      > City, State, Country: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
      > Date: 04/29/2006

      Remove date from here as it is now in the heading

      > Backpacking Background:
      >
      > After a couple of years of day hiking and car camping, I began
      > backpacking just over one year ago. I immediately valued the
      > concept of lightweight backpacking, and attempt to keep my gear as
      > light as possible, but within reason. I enjoy being comfortable
      > while I hike and camp. My pack weight for an overnight trip is
      > around 20 lb (9 kg), including food and water. From spring to fall,
      > I go on many overnight trips in western Pennsylvania, a few multi-
      > night trips in the surrounding area, and one longer trip in one of
      > the National Parks. My hiking companions include my girlfriend and
      > dog.
      >
      > Product Information:
      >
      > Manufacturer: Functional Design
      > Listed Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
      > Actual Weight: 18.7 oz (530 g)
      > Length: 56 in (142 cm)
      > Width: 49 in (124 cm)
      > Color: Black
      > MSRP: $79.00

      ### EDIT: MSRP $79 US

      > Temperature Rating: 40° F (4° C)
      > Zipper: #8 YKK
      > Insulation: Polarguard 3D
      >

      > The Doubler is insulated with Polarguard 3D and comes in two
      > weights: Summer (40° F (4° C), 12 oz (350 g), as tested) and Three
      > Season (10° F (-12° C), 25 oz (690 g), not tested). The fabric of
      > the Doubler is 50 denier Ripstop Nylon.

      ### EDIT: ripstop nylon. [not proprietary, so this isn't treated as a
      proper noun]

      > Product Review:
      >
      > I have used the Sweetie Pie Bag Doubler on many trips over the past
      > year, in overnight temps ranging from 32° – 75° F (0° - 24° C).

      ### EDIT: A little more information here on weather conditions,
      elevations and perhaps locations/terrains would be good.

      The
      > Doubler performs exactly as intended; it allows a couple to sleep
      > together comfortably in one sleeping bag. It is well made and seems
      > durable enough for many years of use.
      >
      > Much of the Doubler's performance (room to move, warmth, ease of
      > packing, zipper performance, etc) is dependant on the sleeping bag
      > it is zipped into. I have used the Doubler in two different
      > sleeping bags and will give my perspective based on my use of the
      > Doubler.

      ### EDIT: perhaps simply "give a perspective based on my use."

      I should note that I do not always use the Doubler in the
      > way the manufacture

      ### EDIT: manufacturer

      seems to intend. The Manufacture

      ### EDIT: Manufacturer

      implies that
      > the Doubler will be the "top" of the two person sleeping bag.
      > However, this seems silly when the Doubler is paired with a high
      > quality down bag, as the warm down is useless when compressed
      > underneath you.

      ### EDIT: "underneath me." [we try to avoid third-person]

      When the weather is cool or cold, I arrange the
      > down bag to be on top, while on a warm night, I will arrange the
      > Doubler to be on top.
      >

      > When using the Doubler as the top of the sleeping bag, the
      > description of the Doubler being "summer weight" is accurate. The
      > warmth of the Doubler is adequate for cool nights, and the 40° F (4°
      > C) rating is similar to temperature ratings on other mid-quality
      > sleeping bags (meaning it is optimistic by 10 degrees F or so).

      ### EDIT: I don't disagree with you on the issue of overly optimistic
      ratings, but there are certainly bags out there that are accurately
      rated, so this is a bit sweeping. Better:

      "The warmth of the Doubler is adequate for cool nights, though the 40°
      F (4°
      > C) rating is optimistic by 10 degrees F [give the centigrade
      equivalent, 6 C] or so.

      > The Doubler does not come with its own stuff sack, with the intent
      > of leaving it zipped to your sleeping bag at all times and stuffing
      > it in the sleeping bag's stuff sack.

      ### EDIT: is this conjecture, or does the manufacturer indeed state
      that this is the way the product should be used? I would prefer
      wording along the lines of:

      "The Doubler does not come with its own stuff sack, and it is
      convenient to leave it in the sleeping bag at all times, using the
      sleeping bag's stuff sack for both bag and doubler."

      which avoids "your." If this is manufacturer-suggested, you can alter
      the wording to reflect this. This is a point to which attention should
      be drawn, as certainly some sleeping bag sacks don't have room for
      anything but the bag itself.

      With a very compressible down
      > bag, the Doubler and sleeping bag just barely fit in the stuff
      > sack. Stuffing the Doubler and a synthetic material sleeping bag
      > into the same stuff sack could be more challenging. Leaving the
      > Doubler zipped to the sleeping bag at all times is very convenient.
      >
      > The zipper on the Doubler occasionally snags on the fabric, but not
      > enough to be an annoyance. The fabric on the Doubler seems durable
      > enough, but I haven't abused it. I also haven't gotten the fabric
      > wet enough to test the limits of its water repellency, but it seems
      > to hold up to a few drips of condensation very well.

    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 10 , May 11, 2006
        Ben--I should have pointed out that there's no need for that second
        "manufacturer" (see edit) to have a capitalized initial letter!
      • snowfiend131
        Message 3 of 10 , May 22, 2006
          Ted,

          I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the test
          folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in the
          test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
          truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need to
          resubmit anything.

          Thanks,
          Ben

          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2006
            Ben,

            The "Test" folder is there primarily so that review authors may upload
            the HTML versions of their reports. This allows an editor to review
            them before final upload. They aren't yet publicly visible.

            I've looked over yours just now. It reads well. I have a couple of
            tiny edits:

            EDIT: dependant on the sleeping bag

            "dependent on the sleeping bag" (spelling of dependent)

            Also (this is a minor point but worth fixing), "two person" and "three
            season" should be "two-person" and "three-season." Could you fix that
            where those phrases appear?

            So far as the HTML goes, it looks fine. For future reference, you
            don't need to use the degree symbol with temperatures, but you don't
            need to change it here, either. There's maybe a bit too much space
            between paragraphs, but this is more an issue of personal taste.

            So, once you have fixed the edits, you may upload to the "public"
            folder (same way as you did for the test folder). Please remember to
            check the "Owner Review" button in the upload dialogue. Here's the
            folder in tiny URL form:

            http://tinyurl.com/zxry8

            Congratulations on your first OR!

            Best,

            Ted

            BGT OR Editor

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "snowfiend131"
            <snowfiend131@...> wrote:

            > Ted,
            >
            > I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the test
            > folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in the
            > test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
            > truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need to
            > resubmit anything.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ben

          • snowfiend131
            Message 5 of 10 , May 26, 2006
              Uploaded! Thanks for your help. I didn't realize I had so much
              space between paragraphs, thanks for pointing it out, it looks
              better now. Now to get started on OR#2.

              Ben

              <erd@...> wrote:

              > Ben,
              >
              > The "Test" folder is there primarily so that review authors may
              upload
              > the HTML versions of their reports. This allows an editor to review
              > them before final upload. They aren't yet publicly visible.
              >
              > I've looked over yours just now. It reads well. I have a couple of
              > tiny edits:
              >
              > EDIT: dependant on the sleeping bag
              >
              > "dependent on the sleeping bag" (spelling of dependent)
              >
              > Also (this is a minor point but worth fixing), "two person"
              and "three
              > season" should be "two-person" and "three-season." Could you fix
              that
              > where those phrases appear?
              >
              > So far as the HTML goes, it looks fine. For future reference, you
              > don't need to use the degree symbol with temperatures, but you
              don't
              > need to change it here, either. There's maybe a bit too much space
              > between paragraphs, but this is more an issue of personal taste.
              >
              > So, once you have fixed the edits, you may upload to the "public"
              > folder (same way as you did for the test folder). Please remember
              > check the "Owner Review" button in the upload dialogue. Here's the
              > folder in tiny URL form:
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/zxry8
              >
              > Congratulations on your first OR!
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Ted
              >
              > BGT OR Editor
              >

              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "snowfiend131"
              > <snowfiend131@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ted,
              > >
              > > I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the
              test
              > > folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in
              the
              > > test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
              > > truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need
              > > resubmit anything.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Ben

            • edwardripleyduggan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                Thanks, Ben!

                Ted.

                <snowfiend131@...> wrote:

                > Uploaded! Thanks for your help. I didn't realize I had so much
                > space between paragraphs, thanks for pointing it out, it looks
                > better now. Now to get started on OR#2.
                >
                > Ben

              • snowfiend131
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                  Ted,

                  One more thing... I figured out how to put pictures in the HTML, and
                  posted an updated version with pics in the Test folder. Have a
                  look, and if you like the addition of pictures, I will re-upload the
                  review.

                  Thanks,
                  Ben

                  <erd@...> wrote:

                  > Ben,
                  >
                  > The "Test" folder is there primarily so that review authors may
                  upload
                  > the HTML versions of their reports. This allows an editor to review
                  > them before final upload. They aren't yet publicly visible.
                  >
                  > I've looked over yours just now. It reads well. I have a couple of
                  > tiny edits:
                  >
                  > EDIT: dependant on the sleeping bag
                  >
                  > "dependent on the sleeping bag" (spelling of dependent)
                  >
                  > Also (this is a minor point but worth fixing), "two person"
                  and "three
                  > season" should be "two-person" and "three-season." Could you fix
                  that
                  > where those phrases appear?
                  >
                  > So far as the HTML goes, it looks fine. For future reference, you
                  > don't need to use the degree symbol with temperatures, but you
                  don't
                  > need to change it here, either. There's maybe a bit too much space
                  > between paragraphs, but this is more an issue of personal taste.
                  >
                  > So, once you have fixed the edits, you may upload to the "public"
                  > folder (same way as you did for the test folder). Please remember
                  > check the "Owner Review" button in the upload dialogue. Here's the
                  > folder in tiny URL form:
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/zxry8
                  >
                  > Congratulations on your first OR!
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Ted
                  >
                  > BGT OR Editor
                  >

                  > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "snowfiend131"
                  > <snowfiend131@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ted,
                  > >
                  > > I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the
                  test
                  > > folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in
                  the
                  > > test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
                  > > truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need
                  > > resubmit anything.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Ben

                • edwardripleyduggan
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                    The images really add to the report. Go with it!

                    Best,

                    Ted.