Thank you Ray - Re: Owner Review Mountainsmith Cypher bag -

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2006

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Officer
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2006
        Hello Ray,

        Edits follow (not many). The bit about the bag as a no-good woman made
        me chuckle. Almost worth a blues...

        Interesting review. None of my 0 degree bags (well, I have a 5 degree
        WM Antelope and a -10 (?) Valandre Shocking Blue, but close enough)
        have quite the issue you describe i.e. frost on the bag soaking in
        etc. Sounds to me as if, in these settings, the transition point to
        freezing is within the bag's shell, which can cause some mayhem, but
        it seems worse than usual here.

        One thing I was curious about, and would definitely like to see added
        to the review, is how easily the bag dries on the trail. Clearly, if
        the shell tends to hold the moisture in, this is not a good thing, but
        if it allows moisture to quickly escape, much better. What sort of
        drying times have you experienced? How many nights can you use the bag
        before moisture in the loft cuts the insulative value to the point
        where you are no longer comfortable?

        Anyhow, Ray, upload to

        http://tinyurl.com/j374p

        when edited. Looks good!

        Ted.

        BGT OR Editor

        > The outer shell is made of Dimension Polyant, this is how
        > Mountainsmith describes it. "The outer shell of the mummy-shaped
        > bags utilizes the same tough Dimension Polyant fabric often used in
        > high-performance sail lofts. The material fights and conquers all
        > the elements. It is wind-resistant, has the highest rating of water-
        > repellency wind resistance,

        ### EDIT: Is this meant to be "...water repellency, wind
        resistance..." It doesn't make sense as is, but it is a manufacturer
        blurb, so...

        > My old 0 F bag was synthetic fill. While it was plenty warm (one of
        > the most accurate ratings I have yet to see) it was a bit heavy, and
        > worse, very bulky. It took up one third of the space in my winter
        > pack. And back then that pack was huge!
        >
        > So I started looking for a new bag. After much positive reviews

        ### EDIT: "After reading many positive reviews..."

        on
        > the fairly new line of bags by Mountainsmith, I decided to take a
        > chance on the Cypher, although I was very skeptical that a bag with
        > this rating could weigh this little. When it showed up I got a
        > bigger surprise. This thing packs down smaller than any bag I owned,
        > or have ever owned.

        ### EDIT: should this be "had ever owned." (?)

        (I was just getting into quality down bags.) I
        > had a 40-30 F (4 to -1 C) variable bag that would not fit into the
        > Cypher's stuff sack.
        >

        > I loved the Dimension Polyant material. I was extremely worried at
        > first that I would tear it. As I mentioned before, I have never felt
        > that seemingly delicate of a fabric

        ### EDIT: "As I mentioned before, I had never felt such a seemingly
        delicate fabric on a piece of outdoors gear."

        on a piece of outdoors gear. It
        > has proved to be very tough.
        >

        > On my first trip with the Cypher I took it up to San Jacinto, my
        > winter testing ground. My second trip with it was above Lee Vining
        > in the Sierra's.

        ### EDIT: Sierras.

        On both trips I used a Sierra Design's Hyperlight
        > AST 2 man tent solo. Both times I had condensation issues. That is
        > to be expected in the winter, especially with a person as full of
        > hot-air as me…
        >

        > I love how small it packs down to, and how little it weighs. It is
        > like a woman that my family keeps telling me is no good for me. I
        > just can't let it go. I ended up taking it on a hike of the northern
        > half of the John Muir Trail in October of 2005as

        ### EDIT: 2005 as

        we had to be ready
        > for any kind of weather. Here are some excerpts from my log
        > concerning the Cypher.

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2006
          Hello Ted,

          I made the edits suggested and added some verbage about the drying.

          Thank you for your help as always,