OWNER REVIEW Snow Peak Trek 700

  • jpanderson80
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 8:16 PM
      Please edit the following review.
      Thank you,
      Jeremy

      Owner Review: Snow Peak Trek 700 Solo Cookset
      May 2, 2006
      Name: Jeremy Anderson
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5ft. 5 in. (1.65 m)
      Weight: 160 lb. (73 kg)
      Email address: jpanderson80 at gmail dot com
      Base Camp: Memphis, Tennessee U.S.

      Background: I began backpacking with Scouts, continuing regularly
      during and after college. I have hiked in varying terrains: alpine,
      desert, rugged mountain, and deciduous forests. I consider myself a
      3-season backpacker, since this area of the country only experiences
      mild winters. I do consider myself a lightweight hiker, but not an
      extreme ultra-light. I have had the joy of guiding adventures
      part-time with teens and/or adults over the past several years and
      look forward to many more.
      {picture} {picture}

      Manufacturer: Snow Peak
      Year of manufacture: 2006
      handles that each fold back against the wall of the cup. The cup
      comes in a small, mesh draw-string bag that keeps the cup and lid
      together neatly. The cup features gradient measurements readable from
      the inside of the cup, both in imperial and metric measurements up to
      16 oz. and .5 L. The cup also features a unique lid. The lid has
      three features: a slot for draining liquid, two small hooks for
      holding the lid snuggly in place, and a larger hook that can be used
      to let the lid hang from the lip of the cup – to keep it off the ground.

      Location and Conditions: The cup has been tested multiple times,
      recently in the Ozarks of Arkansas. The terrain was mainly deciduous
      forests with rocky soil at established camps. Temperatures ranged
      from 35°F (1.7C) to 75°F (25C) with elevations ranging up to 2320 ft.
      (3735 km).
      Use: The cup was used with a Snow Peak Giga Stove. I cooked oatmeal,
      eggs, easy mac & cheese, ramen noodles, soup mix, noodle mixes, and
      lots of tea. The cup also came in very handy serving as a measuring
      cup for the group.
      rounded corners and thin material. I found that as advertised, the
      Trek 700, along with Snow Peak's small canister and stove, makes a
      nice all-in-one, nesting cookset.
      The lid fits snuggly thanks to a rounded lip on the cup, adding
      strength and security to the lid's fit. The lid will gently rattle to
      signal that water is boiling. Using the lid's drain slot does take
      careful attention. Notice in the above photo on the right, the two
      small hooks that slip over on the lip of the cup. These work well to
      keep the lid from sliding, but pressure must be adequately applied
      while draining, or dinner can easily spill. This seems
      straightforward, but the lid is titanium as well, so it heats up
      quickly, making it hot to the touch after boiling water. I use a
      bandana on my hand for insulation, applying pressure to the lid and
      have not had a problem. The large hook is awkward. It comes in handy
      when trying to keep the lid off the forest floor, but makes the lid
      awkward to store – sticking up above the rest of the cup.
      The cup's capacity serves me very well. I have no problem cooking a
      pack of ramen with room to spare. Another point of interest is the
      cup is not so large that dinner cools off before it's eaten. With
      tea, reheating the last few sips was a breeze… simply hold the cup
      over the flame for a few seconds.
      The gradient measurements are easy to use and come in very handy
      around the kitchen. This feature was very useful when cooking for a
      group. We needed to dispense soup evenly from a large pot, so we used
      the cup as a ladle. The measurements worked perfectly for the job.
      The sheer width of the cup does allow for easy cleaning. I can get me
      hand down into the cup for cleaning without any problems. I have had
      only one issue with cleaning the bottom of the cup. It took a
      moderate amount of work to get the inside looking new after I managed
      to forget that I was cooking eggs and burnt the bottom. Other than
      that mistake, I have no issues to report concerning food actually
      sticking to the cup.
      The cup's handles do heat during cook time, but also cool down quickly
      enough that they can be gripped within seconds. They also fold back
      away from one another and store sleekly against the wall of the cup.
      I have never experienced a problem with the handles being in the way,
      too small, or not strong enough to support the cup and its contents.
      The Trek 700 serves great as a solo cookset. Eating straight from the
      cup makes meals simple and clean-up easy. The light weight, yet
      strong titanium is a perfect combination for the lightweight backpacker.
      Things I like:
      • Titanium weight and strength
      • Gradient measurements
      • Folding handles easy move out of the way for storage
      • Compact size
      • Durability!
      Things I dislike:
      • Titanium's cost compared to steel or aluminum
      • Large hook on the lid is awkward to use and appears unnecessary
      • Cup is not insulated
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4 12:11 AM

        reviews before submission.