EDIT of Re-post: Hilleberg Stalon GT tent – Tord

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      Tord, you have added a lot of good information! There are several
      areas that need corrected, but it is mostly grammar and spelling at
      this point. I know it's sometimes hard, but it is most important
      that you remember not to use the word "you" in the report due
      to "projection", which has been done repeatedly, and which caused a
      lot of the edits.

      When you've made the necessary changes, please re-post to this list
      again, using the title:

      REPOST: Hilleberg Stalon GT tent – Tord

      It is very important to use the word "Re-post" in the title to help
      us catch your post and track changes.

      EDITS follow below.

      Owner review: Hilleberg Stalon GT tent

      Review date: 30 April, 2006

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Tord S Eriksson

      Age: 54
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 207 lbs (94 kg)

      Email address: tord AT tord DOT nu
      City, State, Country: Gothenburg, Västra Götaland, Sweden

      Backpacking Background: Since early age I've been backpacking
      year round in Scandinavia, but also in Scotland and Canada, often on
      birdwatching, or documentation, trips (expeditions, with a base
      camp, or just in good company).

      EDIT: remove the commas after birdwatching, documentation, and
      expeditions. From the way the sentence reads, it seems like the
      ending parenthesis bracket should replace the comma after base camp,
      and be removed after company.

      In 1990 I was run over while motorbiking in Scotland, and didn't
      come back to
      work for eight years, due to complications and new operations. Since
      I've been forced to travel into the wilderness by car and kayak,
      backpacking just the last distance. With age I've learned to pack
      better, bringing fewer items of better quality, and items offering
      comfort. The Stalon GT fullfills that perfectly!

      EDIT: remove the extra space before kayak.

      Product information

      Manufacturer: Hilleberg, Sweden
      Year of Manufacture: 2003

      MSRP: Not available as reviewed (see comment below)

      Color: Olive green
      Outer tent: Kerlon SP outer tent fabric, PU-coated on both sides.
      Inner tent: A very light version of Kerlon, waterproof, but
      Height, inside the inner tent:: 3' 7" (1.1 m)

      EDIT: Remove extra colon after tent

      Height, outer: 4' (1.22 m)
      Floor area, inner tent: 6' 11" x 4' 3" (2.1m x 1.3 m)

      EDIT: need space after 2.1 and before the m.

      Floor area, vestibule: 7' 7" x 4' 3" (2.3 m x 1.3 m)
      Floor area, end 'arches' (approximate): 7' 7" x 3' 6" (2.3 m x 1.1
      Approximate packed size: 21" x 10" (0.5 m x 0.25 m)
      Weight, manufacturer: 9 lbs 6 oz (4.2 kg; actual weight: 4.18 kg!)

      EDIT: You need the imperial conversion for the actual weight also.
      It would be good to separate out the actual weight from the
      parenthesis onto its own separate line.

      Construction: Tunnel tent, of classic Hilleberg style.
      The three bows, that holds up the outer tent,
      comes in ten aluminum sections, that are held together by a
      bungee cord, so assembly is very fast.

      EDIT: The three bows, that *hold* up the outer tent, *come* in ten
      aluminum *sections that are held together* (no comma)

      There is also one
      spare section and a piece of aluminum tube to be used
      if you bend a section.

      EDIT: Needs re-worded to remove the word "you". The easiest way
      would probably be - …to be used if a section is bent.

      18 aluminum pegs, of average design, are supplied.

      EDIT: If starting a section with a number, that number needs to be
      written out. "Eighteen aluminum pegs…"

      On a windfree day only two pegs are needed, if the ground is
      firm, for the end guy lines. Normally we use 10 pegs (2 for
      the end guy lines - there are 8 guy lines in total - and 10 in
      the outer tent). 18 is the maximum needed , so there are
      no spares.

      EDIT: Change the period after needed to a comma and remove the
      extra spaces. The rest of the paragraph confuses me, and needs
      clarified. The way it is written makes it sound as though there are
      only 8 guy lines, but 10 for the outer tent, which doesn't make

      The outer tent

      Form above it looks like an oblong octagon, where the longer,
      straight, sides are supported by three identical aluminum bows.

      EDIT: *From* above… Also, remove the comma after "straight".

      The end areas, which I have called 'arches', houses the big vents,
      complete with mosquito netting and zipper-equipped flap,
      so you can close them in a gale.

      EDIT: `arches', *house* the big vents…
      Also, re-word to avoid using the word "you". ("so they can be
      closed in a gale" would work)

      The end guy ropes attach
      to the vents's own aluminum frame, so they are always
      kept open and allow air to pass through, but not the rain.

      EDIT: …attach to the vents' own… (remove extra "s")

      In a blizzard you zip the wind-sde went shut, that can be
      closed from the inside! Nice design!

      EDIT: …zip the wind-*side* *vent* shut, *which* can be…

      The bottom 'arch' houses what I like to call the rear entrance,
      a simple single zipper opening.

      Sadly, it has no inner mosquito
      netting. We seldom use it, other than when packing away things
      in that end of the outer tent.

      Half of the main tent area is occupied by the inner tent, which
      is suspended from the outer tent, the rest is called the 'vestibule'
      by the manufacturer, and so will I.

      EDIT: This needs separated into two sentences – "Half of the main
      area is occupied by the inner tent, which is suspended from the
      outer tent. The rest is called the "vestibule"…"

      The less things you have in the vestibule, the more luxorious it

      EDIT: Re-word to remove the word "you". "The less things I have in
      the vestibule…". Also spelling of "luxurious".

      ground tarp for the vestibule is a wise investment, as otherwise you
      drag in needles and sand into the inner tent.

      EDIT: Re-word to remove the word "you".

      We bought a suitable piece of
      polytarp (cost about US$3), but Hillerberg can supply a tent floor

      EDIT: A space between US and $ sign is needed. Spelling of
      *Hilleberg*. Spelling of *tailor-made*.

      The vestibule entrance has a entrance flap that can be rolled up,
      but it also
      has a mosquito netting inner door, so you can have it open even when
      the bugs

      EDIT: Remove the second "entrance" since it is redundant. (The
      vestibule entrance has a flap that can be rolled…). Re-word to
      avoid using the word "you".

      Nice if you, against the manufacturer's wish, use the vestibule for

      EDIT: Re-word to avoid using "you". Also need a period after

      (No, I haven't, but there might come a time when I might be forced

      The vestibule is the same size as the inner tent, but has
      a big entrance on its right side (if you stand at the rear end), so
      if you
      take down the inner tent, you have a luxurius space of over 15' 8" x
      7' 7"
      (4.8 m x 2.3 m) - big enough to assemble a folding kayak in!

      EDIT: Remove extra space between "is" and "the". Reword to avoid
      using "you" in three different spots. Spelling of "luxurious".

      The inner tent

      As with all tents designed by Bo Hilleberg (his first was the KEB)
      inner tent is suspended in the outer, but you can also use the inner
      if you add a few small items from Hilleberg, like separate tent bow

      EDIT: Re-word to avoid using the word "you" in two places.

      If it is very hot we, the wife and I, keep both entrances open, and
      open both
      sides of the inner tent, as they have mosquito netting
      inner 'doors', that
      cover the entire sides of the inner tent!

      EDIT: remove comma after `doors'

      The inner tent is made of the same fabric (Kerlon SP) as the outer,
      in a much lighter weave, so while water-resitstant it isn't
      airtight, so
      there is no vent as such in the inner tent.

      EDIT: spelling of `resistant'. Also, instead of "so there is no
      vent as such in the inner tent", use "and there is not vent as such
      in the inner tent".

      Condensation in the
      inner tent is a non-event, as they say, while on still nights, with
      no wind and a lot of rain some condensation does form on the
      inside of the outer tent.

      EDIT: The above is contradictory. I assume you mean condensation
      is a non-event when it is breezy, but you need to re-word to reflect

      So I prefer my wife to get out first in the morning, as when you
      open the
      vestibule flap you are bound to get a liberal douse of water from the
      condensation on the inside of the outer tent!

      EDIT: Re-word to avoid using "you" in two places.

      There are pockets in the inner tent for glasses and such items, of

      Long time experience

      We have used it while paddling mainly, so its packed bulk have
      forced us
      to use it as deck cargo, with no ill effects!

      EDIT: …so its packed bulk *has* forced…

      In a water-proof bag, of course!

      EDIT: Re-word to make this a complete sentence please… "We store it
      in a water-proof bag, of course!"

      We have used it in sun, rain and fog, in Atlantic gales and on
      hot days, with no ill effects to us, or the tent. If possible, turn
      rear 'arch' towards the wind, or the side that hasn't the vestibule
      as otherwise using the vestibule entrance will be a wee bit
      but not impossible, as we, through bad planning, have proved!

      EDIT: If possible, *we* turn the rear `arch'…

      That it is easy to pitch, after the first two-three times learning
      how to
      do it, can be illustrated by the fact that we once arrived very late
      at our
      final destination - the tent ground we had planned to use was already
      occupied, so when we finally arrived to the next island, we pitched
      it in
      total darkness, in a dense forest, full of tightly packed trees,
      stones, and

      EDIT: "That it is easy to pitch, after the first *2-3* times
      learning how to do it, can be illustrated by the fact that we once
      arrived very late at our final destination, and found the tent
      ground we planned to use was already occupied. When we finally
      arrived at the next island, we pitched it in…"

      We were dead tired, didn't know exactly where we were, but up it
      a bit slower than usually, of course, but otherwise it stood so well
      that we
      just made a minor adjustment the next day!

      EDIT: "We were dead tired, and didn't know exactly where we were,
      but up it went. It was a bit slower than *usual* of course, but

      We had the aid of one flashlight - the type you shake for its tiny
      LED to
      shine, that was it!

      EDIT: "We had the aid of one flashlight, the type you shake for its
      tiny LED to shine, and that was it!

      After that experience we bought cheap, water-resistant,
      hybrid headlamps (for less than US$10) and a big car-type of
      flashlight that
      shines as well as the headlights on our car!

      EDIT: Space between US and $.

      In actual use it blinds you more
      than helps, but for finding a safe beach to land your kayak on at
      night, it is

      Comment about the availablity of the Stalon GT

      Since last year the Stalon range comes in a slightly modified
      version, called
      Stalon Combi, which is a modular tent, so there are now a load of
      you can add, so you can make it much bigger than a GT (the basic
      Stalon had
      no vestibule, neither does the basic Stalon Combi, but now
      both 'arches' are
      detachable, so you can add two vestibules, and an additional main
      section, another Combi, and so on.

      EDIT: Re-word to avoid using the word "you".

      The Stalon Combi 2 is equivalent to the Stalon, while there also is
      a Stalon
      Combi 4, for four persons, where you sleep with your feet towards
      the rear
      entrance, so to speak, not across as on the Stalon GT and the Stalon
      Combi 2.

      EDIT: Re-word to avoid using "you".

      Adding up the equivalent of a Stalon GT will cost you US$ 665 today,
      from Hilleberg (one Stalon Combi 2 + a vestibule extension).

      EDIT: Re-word to avoid using "you". Space needed between US and $

      Easy to pitch, even in total darkness
      100% rain and storm proof
      Luxurious space for two!

      A little bulky when packed