OWNER REVIEW - Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler

  • snowfiend131
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
      Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Ben Rakestraw
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 135 lb (61 kg)
      Email Address: snowfiend131@...
      City, State, Country: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
      Date: 04/29/2006

      Backpacking Background:

      After a couple of years of day hiking and car camping, I began
      backpacking just over one year ago. I immediately valued the
      concept of lightweight backpacking, and attempt to keep my gear as
      light as possible, but within reason. I enjoy being comfortable
      while I hike and camp. My pack weight for an overnight trip is
      around 20 lb (9 kg), including food and water. From spring to fall,
      I go on many overnight trips in western Pennsylvania, a few multi-
      night trips in the surrounding area, and one longer trip in one of
      the National Parks. My hiking companions include my girlfriend and
      dog.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Functional Design
      Listed Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
      Actual Weight: 18.7 oz (530 g)
      Length: 56 in (142 cm)
      Width: 49 in (124 cm)
      Color: Black
      MSRP: $79.00

      Temperature Rating: 40° F (4° C)
      Zipper: #8 YKK
      Insulation: Polarguard 3D

      Product Description:

      The Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler converts almost any mummy style
      sleeping bag into a sleeping bag big enough for two people, and
      allows couples to sleep and snuggle together comfortably. The
      majority of the Doubler's width is in the shoulders and hips, while
      it quickly narrows down towards the feet. As an added benefit, the
      Doubler can allow significant weight savings if carrying one
      sleeping bag plus the Doubler vs. two separate sleeping bags.

      The Doubler is insulated with Polarguard 3D and comes in two
      weights: Summer (40° F (4° C), 12 oz (350 g), as tested) and Three
      Season (10° F (-12° C), 25 oz (690 g), not tested). The fabric of
      the Doubler is 50 denier Ripstop Nylon. The Doubler uses standard
      #8 YKK zippers, and zips into any mummy bag with full length #8 YKK
      zippers. It can also zip into itself to form a small, child size
      sleeping bag.

      The Doubler is ordered online direct from the manufacturer,
      Functional Designs. It comes well packaged and with a large cotton
      storage sack. It does not come with a stuff sack.

      Product Review:

      I have used the Sweetie Pie Bag Doubler on many trips over the past
      year, in overnight temps ranging from 32° – 75° F (0° - 24° C). The
      Doubler performs exactly as intended; it allows a couple to sleep
      together comfortably in one sleeping bag. It is well made and seems
      durable enough for many years of use.

      Much of the Doubler's performance (room to move, warmth, ease of
      packing, zipper performance, etc) is dependant on the sleeping bag
      it is zipped into. I have used the Doubler in two different
      sleeping bags and will give my perspective based on my use of the
      Doubler. I should note that I do not always use the Doubler in the
      way the manufacture seems to intend. The Manufacture implies that
      the Doubler will be the "top" of the two person sleeping bag.
      However, this seems silly when the Doubler is paired with a high
      quality down bag, as the warm down is useless when compressed
      underneath you. When the weather is cool or cold, I arrange the
      down bag to be on top, while on a warm night, I will arrange the
      Doubler to be on top.

      The roominess of the Doubler depends on the roominess of the
      sleeping bag. I have used the Doubler in both a "normal" sized
      sleeping bag and a "snug" sleeping bag. Both my girlfriend and I
      are quite small and sleep close to one another, and we prefer a
      smaller shared space. Zipping the Doubler into a snug sleeping bag
      provides just about the right amount of space, but having a couple
      inches less width would be even better. Average or larger sized
      people may prefer to use an average or roomier sleeping bag with the
      Doubler. The Doubler also provides adequate space for other
      nighttime activities when a couple does not want to sleep.

      When using the Doubler, two people share the same foot box. The
      shape of the foot box depends on the length of the zipper on the
      sleeping bag. Sleeping bags having a slightly shorter zipper (but
      still full length) will create a narrower foot box. This does not
      bother me, as my girlfriend is significantly shorter than me, so
      only one set of feet (mine) is actually in the foot box. However,
      the narrow foot box may affect couples of relatively equal height.

      When using the Doubler as the top of the sleeping bag, the
      description of the Doubler being "summer weight" is accurate. The
      warmth of the Doubler is adequate for cool nights, and the 40° F (4°
      C) rating is similar to temperature ratings on other mid-quality
      sleeping bags (meaning it is optimistic by 10 degrees F or so).
      When the sleeping bag is arranged to be on top, the warmth of the
      Doubler is slightly less than that of the sleeping bag itself. The
      extra space created by the Doubler is not fully taken up by the
      additional person sleeping inside, therefore more air needs to be
      heated inside, and bag is not as warm. Here is where having a snug
      sleeping bag (i.e. less air space) has its advantages. As the
      thickness of the Doubler itself has little effect on temperature
      rating when arranged to be on the bottom, I wonder why one would
      ever need the "three season" weight Doubler. When using the Doubler
      with a snug 20° F (-7° C) down bag, the coldest temperature I have
      used it in was 32° F (0° C), and that was coldest I would want to go
      without piling on more layers of clothing. Also of note is that
      only one hood is available when using the Doubler (the sleeping
      bag's hood), which significantly effects how warm the bag is. I
      wear a hat on cold nights, but would likely sleep in a separate bag
      from my girlfriend if I expected the night temperature to dip below
      freezing.

      Use of the Doubler can provide significant weight savings. When the
      12 oz (340 g) Doubler is combined with a typical 2 lb (.9 kg) down
      sleeping bag, the combined weight is only 2 lb 12 oz (1.25 kg).
      This is much lighter than the 4 lb (1.8 kg) combined weight of two
      sleeping bags. However, while writing this review, I weighed my
      Doubler for the first time, and found that it weighs 18.7 oz (530
      g). While I didn't expect the weight to be exactly 12 oz, I
      certainly did not expect it to be nearly 7 oz (190 g) over the
      manufacture specified weight!

      The Doubler does not come with its own stuff sack, with the intent
      of leaving it zipped to your sleeping bag at all times and stuffing
      it in the sleeping bag's stuff sack. With a very compressible down
      bag, the Doubler and sleeping bag just barely fit in the stuff
      sack. Stuffing the Doubler and a synthetic material sleeping bag
      into the same stuff sack could be more challenging. Leaving the
      Doubler zipped to the sleeping bag at all times is very convenient.

      The zipper on the Doubler occasionally snags on the fabric, but not
      enough to be an annoyance. The fabric on the Doubler seems durable
      enough, but I haven't abused it. I also haven't gotten the fabric
      wet enough to test the limits of its water repellency, but it seems
      to hold up to a few drips of condensation very well.

      Summary

      The Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler is an excellent product that
      performs as intended. It allows a couple to sleep together in one
      comfortable sleeping bag.

      Pros:
      -Proper size. Provides an adequate amount of room for two people.
      -When combined with a warm sleeping bag, is adequate three season
      use.
      -Provides significant weight savings over two separate sleeping bags.
      -Fits in sleeping bag stuff sack. Can be left permanently attached
      to sleeping bag.

      Cons:
      -Slightly narrow foot box.
      -The extra air space created reduces the temperature rating of the
      attached sleeping bag.
      -Only one hood available for use (the attached sleeping bag's hood),
      reducing warmth.
      -Weighs nearly 7 oz greater than the manufacture specified weight.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 10 , May 11, 2006
          Hello Ben,

          Here's your edit. This is an interesting first OR, and I don't have
          any dramatic edits for you--you have done a good job. One point not
          covered below that left me curious was how smoothly the combined zips
          operate, should you need to leave the bag at night (or on getting up
          in the morning, for that matter). Also, you should perhaps emphasize
          (assuming that I have this correct) that this will work only with
          full-zip bags. Many lightweight bags have only 2/3 zips.

          Since the number of edits is relatively small, after making them
          please place your HTML version in the test folder at

          http://tinyurl.com/7p4t6

          and notify me on this list when you have done so. I'll review the
          appearance, and check the text again, after which you should be OK to
          upload.

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler

          ### EDIT: Should read

          Owner Review Sweetie Pie Sleeping Bag Doubler
          Date: April 29, 2006

          > Reviewer Information:
          >
          > Name: Ben Rakestraw
          > Age: 24
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
          > Weight: 135 lb (61 kg)
          > Email Address: snowfiend131@...
          > City, State, Country: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
          > Date: 04/29/2006

          Remove date from here as it is now in the heading

          > Backpacking Background:
          >
          > After a couple of years of day hiking and car camping, I began
          > backpacking just over one year ago. I immediately valued the
          > concept of lightweight backpacking, and attempt to keep my gear as
          > light as possible, but within reason. I enjoy being comfortable
          > while I hike and camp. My pack weight for an overnight trip is
          > around 20 lb (9 kg), including food and water. From spring to fall,
          > I go on many overnight trips in western Pennsylvania, a few multi-
          > night trips in the surrounding area, and one longer trip in one of
          > the National Parks. My hiking companions include my girlfriend and
          > dog.
          >
          > Product Information:
          >
          > Manufacturer: Functional Design
          > Listed Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
          > Actual Weight: 18.7 oz (530 g)
          > Length: 56 in (142 cm)
          > Width: 49 in (124 cm)
          > Color: Black
          > MSRP: $79.00

          ### EDIT: MSRP $79 US

          > Temperature Rating: 40° F (4° C)
          > Zipper: #8 YKK
          > Insulation: Polarguard 3D
          >

          > The Doubler is insulated with Polarguard 3D and comes in two
          > weights: Summer (40° F (4° C), 12 oz (350 g), as tested) and Three
          > Season (10° F (-12° C), 25 oz (690 g), not tested). The fabric of
          > the Doubler is 50 denier Ripstop Nylon.

          ### EDIT: ripstop nylon. [not proprietary, so this isn't treated as a
          proper noun]

          > Product Review:
          >
          > I have used the Sweetie Pie Bag Doubler on many trips over the past
          > year, in overnight temps ranging from 32° – 75° F (0° - 24° C).

          ### EDIT: A little more information here on weather conditions,
          elevations and perhaps locations/terrains would be good.

          The
          > Doubler performs exactly as intended; it allows a couple to sleep
          > together comfortably in one sleeping bag. It is well made and seems
          > durable enough for many years of use.
          >
          > Much of the Doubler's performance (room to move, warmth, ease of
          > packing, zipper performance, etc) is dependant on the sleeping bag
          > it is zipped into. I have used the Doubler in two different
          > sleeping bags and will give my perspective based on my use of the
          > Doubler.

          ### EDIT: perhaps simply "give a perspective based on my use."

          I should note that I do not always use the Doubler in the
          > way the manufacture

          ### EDIT: manufacturer

          seems to intend. The Manufacture

          ### EDIT: Manufacturer

          implies that
          > the Doubler will be the "top" of the two person sleeping bag.
          > However, this seems silly when the Doubler is paired with a high
          > quality down bag, as the warm down is useless when compressed
          > underneath you.

          ### EDIT: "underneath me." [we try to avoid third-person]

          When the weather is cool or cold, I arrange the
          > down bag to be on top, while on a warm night, I will arrange the
          > Doubler to be on top.
          >

          > When using the Doubler as the top of the sleeping bag, the
          > description of the Doubler being "summer weight" is accurate. The
          > warmth of the Doubler is adequate for cool nights, and the 40° F (4°
          > C) rating is similar to temperature ratings on other mid-quality
          > sleeping bags (meaning it is optimistic by 10 degrees F or so).

          ### EDIT: I don't disagree with you on the issue of overly optimistic
          ratings, but there are certainly bags out there that are accurately
          rated, so this is a bit sweeping. Better:

          "The warmth of the Doubler is adequate for cool nights, though the 40°
          F (4°
          > C) rating is optimistic by 10 degrees F [give the centigrade
          equivalent, 6 C] or so.

          > The Doubler does not come with its own stuff sack, with the intent
          > of leaving it zipped to your sleeping bag at all times and stuffing
          > it in the sleeping bag's stuff sack.

          ### EDIT: is this conjecture, or does the manufacturer indeed state
          that this is the way the product should be used? I would prefer
          wording along the lines of:

          "The Doubler does not come with its own stuff sack, and it is
          convenient to leave it in the sleeping bag at all times, using the
          sleeping bag's stuff sack for both bag and doubler."

          which avoids "your." If this is manufacturer-suggested, you can alter
          the wording to reflect this. This is a point to which attention should
          be drawn, as certainly some sleeping bag sacks don't have room for
          anything but the bag itself.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 11, 2006
            Ben--I should have pointed out that there's no need for that second
            "manufacturer" (see edit) to have a capitalized initial letter!
          • snowfiend131
            Message 5 of 10 , May 22, 2006
              Ted,

              I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the test
              folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in the
              test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
              truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need to
              resubmit anything.

              Thanks,
              Ben

              Message 6 of 10 , May 23, 2006
                Ben,

                The "Test" folder is there primarily so that review authors may upload
                the HTML versions of their reports. This allows an editor to review
                them before final upload. They aren't yet publicly visible.

                I've looked over yours just now. It reads well. I have a couple of
                tiny edits:

                EDIT: dependant on the sleeping bag

                "dependent on the sleeping bag" (spelling of dependent)

                Also (this is a minor point but worth fixing), "two person" and "three
                season" should be "two-person" and "three-season." Could you fix that
                where those phrases appear?

                So far as the HTML goes, it looks fine. For future reference, you
                don't need to use the degree symbol with temperatures, but you don't
                need to change it here, either. There's maybe a bit too much space
                between paragraphs, but this is more an issue of personal taste.

                So, once you have fixed the edits, you may upload to the "public"
                folder (same way as you did for the test folder). Please remember to
                check the "Owner Review" button in the upload dialogue. Here's the
                folder in tiny URL form:

                http://tinyurl.com/zxry8

                Congratulations on your first OR!

                Best,

                Ted

                BGT OR Editor

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "snowfiend131"
                <snowfiend131@...> wrote:

                > Ted,
                >
                > I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the test
                > folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in the
                > test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
                > truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need to
                > resubmit anything.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Ben

              • snowfiend131
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                  Uploaded! Thanks for your help. I didn't realize I had so much
                  space between paragraphs, thanks for pointing it out, it looks
                  better now. Now to get started on OR#2.

                  Ben

                  <erd@...> wrote:

                  > Ben,
                  >
                  > The "Test" folder is there primarily so that review authors may
                  upload
                  > the HTML versions of their reports. This allows an editor to review
                  > them before final upload. They aren't yet publicly visible.
                  >
                  > I've looked over yours just now. It reads well. I have a couple of
                  > tiny edits:
                  >
                  > EDIT: dependant on the sleeping bag
                  >
                  > "dependent on the sleeping bag" (spelling of dependent)
                  >
                  > Also (this is a minor point but worth fixing), "two person"
                  and "three
                  > season" should be "two-person" and "three-season." Could you fix
                  that
                  > where those phrases appear?
                  >
                  > So far as the HTML goes, it looks fine. For future reference, you
                  > don't need to use the degree symbol with temperatures, but you
                  don't
                  > need to change it here, either. There's maybe a bit too much space
                  > between paragraphs, but this is more an issue of personal taste.
                  >
                  > So, once you have fixed the edits, you may upload to the "public"
                  > folder (same way as you did for the test folder). Please remember
                  > check the "Owner Review" button in the upload dialogue. Here's the
                  > folder in tiny URL form:
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/zxry8
                  >
                  > Congratulations on your first OR!
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Ted
                  >
                  > BGT OR Editor
                  >

                  > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "snowfiend131"
                  > <snowfiend131@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ted,
                  > >
                  > > I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the
                  test
                  > > folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in
                  the
                  > > test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
                  > > truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need
                  > > resubmit anything.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Ben

                • edwardripleyduggan
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                    Thanks, Ben!

                    Ted.

                    <snowfiend131@...> wrote:

                    > Uploaded! Thanks for your help. I didn't realize I had so much
                    > space between paragraphs, thanks for pointing it out, it looks
                    > better now. Now to get started on OR#2.
                    >
                    > Ben

                  • snowfiend131
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                      Ted,

                      One more thing... I figured out how to put pictures in the HTML, and
                      posted an updated version with pics in the Test folder. Have a
                      look, and if you like the addition of pictures, I will re-upload the
                      review.

                      Thanks,
                      Ben

                      <erd@...> wrote:

                      > Ben,
                      >
                      > The "Test" folder is there primarily so that review authors may
                      upload
                      > the HTML versions of their reports. This allows an editor to review
                      > them before final upload. They aren't yet publicly visible.
                      >
                      > I've looked over yours just now. It reads well. I have a couple of
                      > tiny edits:
                      >
                      > EDIT: dependant on the sleeping bag
                      >
                      > "dependent on the sleeping bag" (spelling of dependent)
                      >
                      > Also (this is a minor point but worth fixing), "two person"
                      and "three
                      > season" should be "two-person" and "three-season." Could you fix
                      that
                      > where those phrases appear?
                      >
                      > So far as the HTML goes, it looks fine. For future reference, you
                      > don't need to use the degree symbol with temperatures, but you
                      don't
                      > need to change it here, either. There's maybe a bit too much space
                      > between paragraphs, but this is more an issue of personal taste.
                      >
                      > So, once you have fixed the edits, you may upload to the "public"
                      > folder (same way as you did for the test folder). Please remember
                      > check the "Owner Review" button in the upload dialogue. Here's the
                      > folder in tiny URL form:
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/zxry8
                      >
                      > Congratulations on your first OR!
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Ted
                      >
                      > BGT OR Editor
                      >

                      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "snowfiend131"
                      > <snowfiend131@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ted,
                      > >
                      > > I made the requested edits and posted the html version in the
                      test
                      > > folder. I am somewhat confused, as I hit the upload button in
                      the
                      > > test folder, and don't know what the difference between this and
                      > > truly uploading the review to the site. Let me know if I need
                      > > resubmit anything.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > > Ben

                    • edwardripleyduggan
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                        The images really add to the report. Go with it!

                        Best,

                        Ted.