Owner Review: Sea To Summit sn240 Ultra-Light Stuff Sack

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2006
      Product Name: Sea To Summit sn240 Ultra-Light Stuff Sack

      Personal Biographical Information:
      Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
      Age: 23 years old
      Gender: Male
      Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
      Weight: 85Kg (187 lbs)
      Email: zkyf@...
      Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      Report Date: 28 April 2006

      Background:
      I started backpacking about 9 months ago, after being converted from
      cycle touring. I have experience as a lightweight and middleweight
      backpacker, with my carried weight ranging from 25kg (55 lbs) when
      out of touch with source for 2 weeks or more, to 14 kg (37 lbs) when
      food is accessible every few days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless
      shelter is provided like on the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a
      mosquito net. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and
      terrains as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using a
      range of equipment.

      Product Specifics:
      Manufacturer: Sea To Summit
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Listed Weight: 0.7 (NB. measurement system not known yet)
      Received weight: Unknown
      Listed size: medium 7" x 15" (18 cm x 38 cm)
      Listed volume: 580 cu in (9504 cu cm) / 9.5 L
      Colour: Opaque Dark Yellow with black cord and black reinforcement
      strap
      RRP: AU$49.95
      Product description: (paraphrased from website) 30 denier ripstop
      siliconised Cordura(r) nylon, this tiny, near weightless stuff sack
      comes with a slippery finish. Being 1/3 lighter than regular stuff
      sacks and with a high tear strength, Sn240 stuff sacks makes
      organising gear easy and keeps the pack light.

      Long Term Field Review:
      My Usage:
      Over the last 9 months my Sea To Summit sn240 Stuff Sack has been
      used solely for the purpose of containing 100% of my food while
      travelling. It has experienced extreme wear and rough treatment,
      including being filled beyond it's capacity, subjected to high
      degrees of stress and pressure while in the pack, used for abstract
      purposes in times when I was required to improvise to achieve my
      goals at the time, and generally similar to the way it was treated
      when the materials we're first developed in a R & D lab.

      Treatment Received:
      This sack has travelled over 1500 km (932 miles) of trekking and
      cycle touring, on terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain
      elevations to 1 095 metres (3592 feet), and very dense subtropical
      rainforest. Most of it's life has been between 100 and 600 metres
      (328 to 1968 feet) above sea level, on a well defined track in SW
      Western Australia surrounded by sparse trees and semi dense low lying
      shrub. Temperatures range from –14 deg C (7 deg F) on the coldest
      night to 35 deg C (95 deg F) on the hottest day, with averages
      ranging from 0 deg C (32 deg F) at night to 23 deg C (73 deg F) in
      daylight.

      In that time it has had attempts on it's life by, just to name a few,
      a set of reputedly the sharpest marsupial teeth in Australia trying
      to get in; an exposed, almost razor sharp blade thrown inside; being
      partly submerged in liquids including fresh water and sea water, had
      liquids spilt inside it, including syrup and jam, and had contact
      with many forms of other substances, including grease, charcoal, and
      super glue. Through all this punishment, in every case to date every
      contact from the outside of the sack stayed on the outside, and the
      reverse, including gaseous substances like campfire smoke.

      Design And Features:
      The fabric has a slippery finish that, although fades considerably in
      the first month of use, never fully disappears, making the packing
      and unpacking of the sack comparatively easy even today, 9 months
      later. The slippery finish is not only on the inside of the sack. The
      outside of the sack is also slippery, making it easier to pack and
      unpack the sack from my pack. It adds an element of security to the
      contents in cases involving wildlife when I decided to tie the sack
      to the rafters of the campsites on the Bibbulmun Track, because it's
      more difficult to friction grip a hanging, slippery object.

      The fabric of the sack I purchased is dark yellow, which makes it
      easy to see in the dark. Being partly silicone, the contents of the
      sack can be somewhat seen through the sack, which makes it easier to
      find certain objects in the sack without too much rummaging or
      emptying out all the contents. There are also otherwise identical
      sacks in black available.

      There is a nylon reinforcement support band at the base of the sack.
      The stitching is all double banded, triple threaded siliconised
      nylon, same as the sack itself, making the sack fully reversible.

      Despite the superiority of the fabric, the tie cord mechanism
      irreparably broke within a few weeks of buying it. A small, plastic,
      spring loaded device, designed by Cordura(r), fell to pieces while on
      my Bibbulmun Track end-to-end, with one small piece left on the cord
      which I found to work more effectively broken than the working device
      did when new, due to the fact that I would rather be able to pull on
      the device than depressing a spring first in order to access the
      contents. The cord is more than long enough to open the sack fully,
      and is tied at the end with a figure 8 knot the stop the cord
      mechanism from coming off, but this could be undone if I chose to.

      Maintenance:
      In my experience, cleaning the fabric of its stains is a debatable
      subject. Due to the slippery finish, foreign substances don't easily
      stick to it, however directly because of the nature of silicone that
      makes it slippery, namely discolouration potential, after cleaning
      the sack it can still appear very dirty indeed. Other than cleaning
      occasionally, the sack has received no maintenance from me whatsoever.

      Conclusion:
      point of view, but still has room for improvement. It has very high
      durability, while staying lightweight and easy to use. I think the
      application of siliconised nylon in this case is perfect for
      functionality and, although very expensive gram for gram, is worth
      every cent.

      Pros:
      The ease of packing and unpacking
      The cord is strong
      The fabric is reflective
      The fabric is strong
      The stitching is strong
      The fabric is opaque
      Extremely lightweight
      2 colours available
      Many sizes available
      The fabric is quiet to crumple
      The sack can be put through washing machine safely

      Cons:
      The cord mechanism breaks
      The cord is black, difficult to see in the dark
      The fabric is stainable
      The sack is comparatively expensive
    • Karl
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2006
        Owner Review: Sea To Summit sn240 Ultra-Light Stuff Sack

        Personal Biographical Information:
        Full Name: Karl Daniel Fuderer aka Buzz Lightyear
        Age: 23 years old
        Gender: Male
        Height: 175 cm (5' 7")
        Weight: 85 kg (187 lbs)
        Email: zkyf@...
        Region: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
        Report Date: 28 April 2006

        Background:
        I started backpacking about 9 months ago, after converting from cycle
        touring. I've experienced being a lightweight and middleweight
        backpacker, with my carried weight ranging from 25 kg (55 lbs) when
        very remote for 2+ wks, to 14 kg (37 lbs) when food is accessible
        every few days. I sleep in a 2-man tent, unless shelter is provided
        like on the Bibbulmun Track where I carry a mosquito head net and
        ground sheet. I like to hike in as wide a variety of locations and
        terrains as possible, from desert to forest to mountain, using an
        extraordinary range of equipment.

        Product Specifics:
        Manufacturer: Sea To Summit
        Year of manufacture: 2004
        Listed Weight: 0.7 (NB. measurement system not known yet)
        Received weight: Unknown
        Listed size: medium 7" x 15" (18 cm x 38 cm)
        Listed volume: 580 cu in (9504 cu cm) / 9 L
        Colour: Opaque Dark Yellow with black cord and black reinforcement
        strap
        RRP: AU$14.95
[...]

        This sack has travelled over 1500 km (932 ml) of trekking and cycle
        touring, on terrain including sand dunes, swamp, mountain elevations
        to 1 095 m (3592 ft), and very dense subtropical rainforest. Most of
        it's life has been between 100 and 600 m (328 to 1968 ft) above sea
        level, on a well defined track in SW Western Australia surrounded by
        sparse trees and semi dense low lying shrub. Temperatures range from –
        14 C (7 F) on the coldest night to 35 C (95 F) on the hottest day,
        with averages ranging from 0 C (32 F) at night to 23 C (73 F) in
[...]

        7 sizes available

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Karl" <zkyf@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > point of view, but still has room for improvement. It has very high
        > durability, while staying lightweight and easy to use. I think the
        > application of siliconised nylon in this case is perfect for
        > functionality and, although very expensive gram for gram, is worth
        > every cent.
        >
        > Pros:
        > The ease of packing and unpacking
        > The cord is strong
        > The fabric is reflective
        > The fabric is strong
        > The stitching is strong
        > The fabric is opaque
        > Extremely lightweight
        > 2 colours available
        > Many sizes available
        > The fabric is quiet to crumple
        > The sack can be put through washing machine safely
        >
        > Cons:
        > The cord mechanism breaks
        > The cord is black, difficult to see in the dark

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 12:07 AM

          reviews before submission.

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Officer
        • Karl
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 6:46 AM
            Gday,
            Message received, read and understood. thanks for the update. Will be
            keeping an eye out for the edit/approved message. I hope to hear from
            you soon.
            Enjoy awareness,
            Karl