OWNER REVIEW - TNF Rock 22 Tent

  • Jeff Taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006
      The North Face Rock 22 Tent

      Name: Jeffrey Taylor
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5’ 8” (1.73 M)
      Weight: 225 pounds (102 kg)
      Email address: jbtslc@...
      City, State, Country: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
      Date: April 22, 2006
      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 12 years old, mostly as a boy scout now as an adult with too little money. I have backpacked in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, New Mexico. My average pack (3-5 day trip) weighs about 30 pounds (13.61 kg).

      Product information
      a. Manufacturer: The North Face
      b. Year of manufacture: 2005
      c. http://www.thenorthface.com
      d. Listed weight: 6 lbs. 11 oz. (3.03 kg)
      e. Weight as delivered. 6 lbs. 11 oz. (3.03 kg)

      Field Information

      Location: Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Oklahoma
      Description of Location: WMWR is a mountainous terrain with scrub oak forests. The elevation of WMWR is approximately 1400 feet (426.72 metres). The terrain is moderately rocky.
      Weather Conditions: Clear; High of 85° F (29° C); Low 55° F (12° C)

      Short Description
      Imagine laying under the stars on a crisp, cool evening while others in your group struggle to piece their misfit tents together. TNF’s Rock 22 tent is an easy one-person setup. TNF’s full-sleeve pole supports make getting camp set a cinch. The two-poles slide in quickly and the tent is free standing within 2 minutes. Attach and stake the rain fly in another minute.
      With almost the entire ceiling covered in mesh, the Rock 22 allows full breathe-ability, killing the indoor condensation pool.
      The Rock 22 is a 2-person tent that comfortably sleeps two large people. With dual zipper doors, neither camper is forced to climb over the other to answer nature’s late-night call.

      Pros:
      Roomy – sit inside and play games without getting cabin fever;
      Easy set-up – be unpacked and asleep in 5 minutes;
      Extra space is worth ditching my bivy sack for shorter (3 day or less); backpacking trips.

      Cons:
      Heavy;
      Full ceiling mesh kills any intimacy or privacy without the rainfly.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • Jeremy
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
          While I'm not an editor, I'll give you a few ideas that popped into
          my head.

          First, good job on a first shot at a OR. If you haven't already done
          so, try reading through several other reviews dealing with the same
          category item as what it is you're reviewing. Not only will you
          learn about that piece, but you'll also take in plenty of
          information about what it is you might want to discuss when
          reviewing your own gear. You can pick up on things like the general
          length of a review, the style it's written in ("you", "yours",
          and "you're" are rarely found on BGT - they are replaced
          with "me", "my", and "mine"), and more.

          Specifically regarding this review, I think that it would help it
          considerably if it were longer and more detailed (currently your
          review is 8 sentences long), telling of your personal experiences
          with the tent and less a generalized "manufacturers description"
          type review. Just my .02 though.

          Jeremy

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Taylor <jbtslc@...>
          wrote:

          > The North Face Rock 22 Tent
          >
          > Name: Jeffrey Taylor
          > Age: 29
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5' 8" (1.73 M)
          > Weight: 225 pounds (102 kg)
          > Email address: jbtslc@...
          > City, State, Country: Oklahoma City, OK, United States
          > Date: April 22, 2006
          > Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 12 years
          old, mostly as a boy scout now as an adult with too little money. I
          have backpacked in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Colorado,
          Oklahoma, New Mexico. My average pack (3-5 day trip) weighs about 30
          pounds (13.61 kg).

          > Product information
          > a. Manufacturer: The North Face
          > b. Year of manufacture: 2005
          > c. http://www.thenorthface.com
          > d. Listed weight: 6 lbs. 11 oz. (3.03 kg)
          > e. Weight as delivered. 6 lbs. 11 oz. (3.03 kg)
          >

          > Field Information
          >
          > Location: Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Oklahoma
          > Description of Location: WMWR is a mountainous terrain
          with scrub oak forests. The elevation of WMWR is approximately
          1400 feet (426.72 metres). The terrain is moderately rocky.
          > Weather Conditions: Clear; High of 85° F (29° C); Low 55°
          F (12° C)

          > Short Description
          > Imagine laying under the stars on a crisp, cool
          evening while others in your group struggle to piece their misfit
          tents together. TNF's Rock 22 tent is an easy one-person setup.
          TNF's full-sleeve pole supports make getting camp set a cinch. The
          two-poles slide in quickly and the tent is free standing within 2
          minutes. Attach and stake the rain fly in another minute.
          > With almost the entire ceiling covered in mesh, the Rock 22
          allows full breathe-ability, killing the indoor condensation pool.
          > The Rock 22 is a 2-person tent that comfortably sleeps two large
          people. With dual zipper doors, neither camper is forced to climb
          over the other to answer nature's late-night call.

          > Pros:
          > Roomy – sit inside and play games without getting cabin fever;
          > Easy set-up – be unpacked and asleep in 5 minutes;
          > Extra space is worth ditching my bivy sack for shorter (3 day or
          less); backpacking trips.

          > Cons:
          > Heavy;
          > Full ceiling mesh kills any intimacy or privacy without the
          rainfly.

        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2006
            Hello Jeffrey,

            I *am* a BGT editor, but this is not an official edit, as there are
            other reviews ahead of yours in the queue. Still, I would like to
            comment that, although you have the basic BGT review structure
            approximately correct, the review itself is too short to be useful as
            it stands. We consider tents (along with backpacks and electronic
            devices such as GPS units) to be among the hardest of items to tackle.
            I'd most strongly suggest that you enlarge and refine the review (any
            of the recent tent ORs on BGT will give you an idea as to what is
            expected).

            We have a mentoring program available to help you; please contact

            jennifer.pope@...

            with the subject line "Mentor Request" if you would like to pursue
            this option.

            Best,

            Ted

            BGT OR Editor

          • nazdarovye
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2006
              Jeffrey -

              I grabbed your review for edit, but after a quick perusal, must agree
              with the other comments.

              You've done a fine job of hitting some of our requirements, including
              adding metric equivalents for measurements and providing a concise
              background statement on your background.

              That said, your review needs quite a bit added to it to be suitable
              for inclusion in the site. This includes:

              - A good description of the tent (including configuration, materials,
              features)
              - More information on your usage of it (includng meeting the minimum
              of half a dozen uses; noting what weather you encountered and how it
              affected the tent; how you felt about various features; etc...)
              - A picture of your specific tent in use would be a great addition

              I suggest a few actions:

              - Review other recent tent reports on BGT to see how others have
              handled all of this
              - Consider the mentor program Ted mentioned - it's a great resource!
              - Consider starting with a smaller, less complicated item that you've
              used a good half dozen times or more

              I really appreciate the review, and hope you'll go for all of the
              above suggestions.

              When you've rewritten the review (or switched to a new one), please
              post it here and we'll give it a full edit. I look forward to seeing it!

              Regards,
              Steve
              BGT Edit Moderator