Fwd: First try of an Owner Review - Hilleberg Stalon GT

  • Tord Eriksson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2006
      I sent it to Jerry, sorry!

      Tord

      Subject: First try of an Owner Review - Hilleberg Stalon GT
      Date: Tuesday 25 April 2006 17:20
      From: Tord Eriksson <tord@...>
      To: "Jerry Goller" <chiefmoderator@...>

      Owner review: Hilleberg Stalon GT

      Reviewer Information

      Name:Tord S Eriksson

      Age: 54
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8.5" (1.74 Meters)
      Weight: 207 Pounds (94 Kilograms)

      Email address: tord at tord dot nu
      City, State, Country: Hisings Kärra (suburb to Gothenburg, Sweden)
      Date: April 25, 2006

      Backpacking Background: My parents, being botanists,
      took us kids backpacking at an early age, both in
      Scandinavia and Canada.

      Longer trips, without any grownups around, I began when I was about
      15 when I joined a group of kids going trekking, and bird-watching, in the
      Scandinavian Mountain Range. To much gear, but I loved it! I kept on
      trekking, together with friends, or by joining heavy equipped expeditions
      (some of them paddling expeditions), till I was run over in 1990, while on a
      motorbike holiday in Scotland.

      Since then my backpacking is restricted to a few miles, before I have
      to pitch camp, but I have travelled far into the wilderness by kayak, and
      used my camping gear intensively. For decades I used a Tarfala,
      but I lent it to a friend, and never seen it since!

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Hilleberg, Sweden
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Weight: approx. 9lbs (4.2Kg)
      MSRP: $665.00 (todays price for a Stalon Combi 2 + one extension)

      COLOR: Olive green
      Outer tent: Kerlon SP outer tent fabric, PU-coated on both sides.
      Inner tent: A very light version of Kerlon
      Height, inside the inner tent: 43" (1.1 m)

      CONSTRUCTION: Tunnel tent, classic Hilleberg style.
      The three aluminium bows, are held together by a bungee
      cord, so assembly of the bows is very fast.

      The Stalon GT (Grand Turismo?!) differs from
      the basic Stalon, in that it has a huge vestibule, or
      extension, big enough to park two bikes in!

      see http://www.hilleberg.se/cykeltlt-e.htm .

      100% waterproof fabric in the outer tent; a similar, also waterproof,
      but much lighter fabric, is used in the inner. Mosquito-netting
      in both ends of the inner tent. The outer tent goes all the way to
      the ground, so it is essential to keep the vents in the ends
      of the tent open at night, if you can't keep the two doors open
      (one in the rear end, one on the side of the extension). Happily,
      the vents, too, have mosquito netting (a blessing!)

      Bo Hilleberg began making tents a long time ago, the first
      being an upgrade of the classic Tarfala, called KEB, which
      differed mainly from the older tent by having the inner tent
      connceted to the outer by straps and hooks. This led to
      a great reduction in number of pegs needed and you
      could pitch it much faster.

      He then switched to tunnel tents, with similar features;
      ease of pitching and few pegs, but these were much
      better for the user, as the space inside was immense,
      compared to the KEB.

      Since a few months back the Stalon Combi has replaced
      the old Stalon and it now has zippers along the bows in both
      ends, so you can add an extension, or connect two tents
      together, just as you like. A truely modular tent! So a Stalon
      Combi 2 + an extension, is the equivalent of what we have.

      I have used my tent in gale force winds, and have not had
      any problems. To us it has been 100% waterproof, but
      condensation can form on the inside of the outer tent at night,
      especially if the ground is very wet, unless you keep the vents
      open. As the vents are high up there is no problem with using
      it in deep snow, either.

      We, the wife and I, have found using a ground tarp as a floor
      in the extension have been very helpful, as you then are less
      likely to drag sand, or needles, into the tent proper!

      Summary

      Hilleberg Stalon GT is a great tent, with excellent space for
      you and your gear, and is very reliable, in every way!

      Excellent write up can be found here:

      http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/stalongt.shtml

      Likes:
      Easy to pitch, even in total darkness (intersting experience).
      100% rain and storm proof
      Luxorious space for two!

      Dislikes:
      A little bulky when packed
      A little heavy
      A little pricey

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • pamwyant
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2006
          EDIT: Owner Review Hilleberg Stalon GT - Tord Eriksson

          Hi Tord!

          A tent is a pretty complex item for a first review; so don't get
          discouraged by the number of edits. You actually have a pretty good
          start, it just needs polished to meet our standards and fleshed out
          a bit.

          Your edits are below. The suggestions are recommended changes or
          areas I was uncertain of and may need to be clarified. EDITS are
          required, unless you have a good reason they should not be made, in
          which case, you need to convince me it isn't necessary. :-)

          Once you've made the necessary changes, please repost to this list,
          using the title:
          REPOST: Hilleberg Stalon GT – Tord Eriksson
          I'll take a second look and we'll work from there. With an item
          like a tent, it may take a few times to get everything right, which
          is perfectly okay.

          Pam Wyant

          *****************************

          > Owner review: Hilleberg Stalon GT

          SUGGESTION: Although Hilleberg is fairly well known, it would be
          preferable to add "tent" after the GT in your title.

          EDIT: We now prefer to have the date of the review directly under
          the title instead of later in the information.

          > Reviewer Information
          >
          > Name:Tord S Eriksson
          >
          > Age: 54
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5' 8.5" (1.74 Meters)
          > Weight: 207 Pounds (94 Kilograms)

          SUGGESTION: The general convention is to round height to the
          nearest inch instead of using decimals. (5'9"). It is also
          preferred to abbreviate units when reporting numerical information
          (m for meters, lb for pounds, k for kilograms). The abbreviations
          should be lower case. You can find a handy reference to preferred
          ways to handle measurements and related information at the end of
          the conversion chart here:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

          > Email address: tord at tord dot nu
          > City, State, Country: Hisings Kärra (suburb to Gothenburg, Sweden)

          EDIT: Only use City, State, Country as the header if that is
          appropriate. I don't know what divisions are called in Sweden, but
          list whatever is appropriate for the area.

          > Date: April 25, 2006
          >
          > Backpacking Background: My parents, being botanists,
          > took us kids backpacking at an early age, both in
          > Scandinavia and Canada.
          >
          > Longer trips, without any grownups around, I began when I was about
          > 15 when I joined a group of kids going trekking, and bird-
          watching, in the
          > Scandinavian Mountain Range. To much gear, but I loved it! I kept
          on
          > trekking, together with friends, or by joining heavy equipped
          expeditions
          > (some of them paddling expeditions), till I was run over in 1990,
          while on a
          > motorbike holiday in Scotland.
          >
          > Since then my backpacking is restricted to a few miles, before I
          have
          > to pitch camp, but I have travelled far into the wilderness by
          kayak, and
          > used my camping gear intensively. For decades I used a Tarfala,
          > but I lent it to a friend, and never seen it since!

          EDIT: While interesting, your background is considerably longer
          than the 100 word limit we like to see. What we are really looking
          for is a very brief background of how you got started backpacking,
          and what your current style is (tent, tarp, hammock, etc)
          approximate normal pack weight or packing philosophy (light,
          ultralight, moderate, or heavy). What we prefer not to be in the
          background is information on childhood trips and other information
          that doesn't really help the reader get an idea of your current
          backpacking style and experience level. I'll leave it up to you as
          to the way you change your background information, but it does need
          shortened and brought more up to date. You can see a sample of what
          we are looking for in the backpacking background here:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=4

          > Product Information
          >
          > Manufacturer: Hilleberg, Sweden
          > Year of Manufacture: 2003
          > Weight: approx. 9lbs (4.2Kg)

          EDIT: Is the weight from the manufacturer, or your own? Please
          specify. Also, can you get a more specific actual measured weight?
          In the U.S. we can take it to a post office to be weighed – I would
          guess you might be able to also? As a gear tester, weighing the
          gear is required, and it is highly desirable to have it done so on
          accurate scales, so it is good practice to do so for your owner
          reviews also.

          > MSRP: $665.00 (todays price for a Stalon Combi 2 + one extension)

          COMMENT/POSSIBLE EDIT:
          Is the MSRP for the same tent you have or a different one? If your
          tent isn't listed with an MSRP, just state "Not Available". If this
          is the same tent, you need an apostrophe in "today's".

          > COLOR: Olive green
          > Outer tent: Kerlon SP outer tent fabric, PU-coated on both sides.
          > Inner tent: A very light version of Kerlon
          > Height, inside the inner tent: 43" (1.1 m)
          >
          > CONSTRUCTION: Tunnel tent, classic Hilleberg style.
          > The three aluminium bows, are held together by a bungee
          > cord, so assembly of the bows is very fast.

          EDIT: Spelling of "aluminum". Also, I believe what you are
          referring to as "bows" is generally referred to as "poles" (but
          perhaps Hilleberg refers to them differently, if so, then it's okay
          to leave it as bows.)

          EDIT: You also need some more basic information – the width and
          length of the tent (both the manufacturer's listed width and length
          if available, and your own measured); how many people it is designed
          to hold; the packed size, the number and type of stakes, and any
          other specific details you can provide about the tent.

          > The Stalon GT (Grand Turismo?!) differs from
          > the basic Stalon, in that it has a huge vestibule, or
          > extension, big enough to park two bikes in!

          COMMENT/POSSIBLE EDIT: Does GT actually stand for Grand Turismo, or
          is that a guess? If a guess, please remove. If it does, remove
          the "?!" after the name.

          > see http://www.hilleberg.se/cykeltlt-e.htm .

          EDIT: The above link needs removed. We only allow links to the
          main manufacturer website and your personal website, unless
          permission is obtained from Jerry or Andrew to use a supplemental
          website. Such permission is rare.

          > 100% waterproof fabric in the outer tent; a similar, also
          waterproof,
          > but much lighter fabric, is used in the inner. Mosquito-netting
          > in both ends of the inner tent.

          EDIT: Please make the above into complete sentences, since you have
          moved from a simple list of features in the earlier part of the
          report to full descriptions in the section just before this.

          The outer tent goes all the way to
          > the ground, so it is essential to keep the vents in the ends
          > of the tent open at night, if you can't keep the two doors open
          > (one in the rear end, one on the side of the extension). Happily,
          > the vents, too, have mosquito netting (a blessing!)

          SUGGESTION: It's a little unclear as to whether the vents are in
          the inner tent or outer tent. I suggest clarifying that. Also, you
          might want to add "to prevent condensation" after "so it is
          essential to keep the vents in the ends of the tent open at night"
          just to make the meaning a little clearer.

          EDIT: We avoid using the word "you" in reports. It should be
          replaced by words to reflect your own experience when possible. For
          example, "…it is essential for me to keep the vents in the ends of
          the tent open at night to prevent condensation, if I can't keep the
          two doors open." is preferred since it reflects your own experience.

          > Bo Hilleberg began making tents a long time ago, the first
          > being an upgrade of the classic Tarfala, called KEB, which
          > differed mainly from the older tent by having the inner tent
          > connceted to the outer by straps and hooks.

          EDIT: Spelling of "connected"

          This led to
          > a great reduction in number of pegs needed and you
          > could pitch it much faster.

          EDIT: Avoid using the word "you". Here it could be re-worded
          something along the lines of "This led to a great reduction in the
          number of pegs needed, allowing the tent to be pitched much faster."

          > He then switched to tunnel tents, with similar features;
          > ease of pitching and few pegs, but these were much
          > better for the user, as the space inside was immense,
          > compared to the KEB.

          SUGGESTION: The wording is a bit awkward here, and borders on what
          we would call projection by stating the tents are "better" for
          users, when we don't really know if all users find them "better". I
          suggest something along the lines of "He then switched to making
          tunnel tents with similar features, the same ease of pitching with
          few pegs, but more space on the inside.

          > Since a few months back the Stalon Combi has replaced
          > the old Stalon and it now has zippers along the bows in both
          > ends, so you can add an extension, or connect two tents
          > together, just as you like. A truely modular tent! So a Stalon
          > Combi 2 + an extension, is the equivalent of what we have.

          EDIT: Awkward wording, and more use of the word "you", which needs
          corrected. Also, if the "Stalon Combi is not the tent you are
          reviewing, this information is not appropriate for your review. You
          need to stick to reviewing the actual tent you have.

          > I have used my tent in gale force winds, and have not had
          > any problems. To us it has been 100% waterproof, but
          > condensation can form on the inside of the outer tent at night,
          > especially if the ground is very wet, unless you keep the vents
          > open. As the vents are high up there is no problem with using
          > it in deep snow, either.

          EDIT: Again, the word "you" needs removed and replaced with wording
          to reflect your own experience. Also, "To us it has been 100%
          waterproof" sounds awkward. I suggest replacing those words
          with "We have found it 100% waterproof in use" or something similar.

          > We, the wife and I, have found using a ground tarp as a floor
          > in the extension have been very helpful, as you then are less
          > likely to drag sand, or needles, into the tent proper!

          EDIT: "We, the wife and I" sounds awkward. I suggest using "My
          wife and I have found…" Also, "have" should be "has", and again the
          word "you" needs removed.

          EDIT: You do need to add some information on field conditions the
          tent has been used in, locations, specific weather conditions, and
          some more detailed description of your findings as you used the
          tent. For example, was condensation more of a problem under some
          conditions than others? Was the tent easy to pitch? Just what is
          the procedure for pitching? Can it be pitched by one person, or
          does it require two? Can it be pitched on rock or in sand? If so,
          how difficult is that compared to pitching it on more normal soil?
          Is there room for both of you and all your gear? Did you cook in
          the tent? Have you noticed any wear and tear or damage? Has it
          faded? Is it easy to pack and unpack? Does it dry quickly? Does
          the color have any effect in various weather conditions? (For
          example, some folks find a dark colored tent depressing on a rainy
          day.) Were the stakes and guylines provided adequate under all
          conditions or did you need to supplement or replace any of them? Do
          you use a ground cloth under the tent floor also? How is the floor
          holding up? Readers are usually interested in as many details as
          possible about using a tent.

          > Summary
          >
          > Hilleberg Stalon GT is a great tent, with excellent space for
          > you and your gear, and is very reliable, in every way!

          EDIT: Again, remove the word "you" and reflect "your own personal"
          experience.

          > Excellent write up can be found here:
          >
          > http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/stalongt.shtml

          COMMENT/POSSIBLE EDIT: If this is not your personal website, the
          link needs removed. We're really looking for an "excellent write-
          up" on BackpackGearTest.org from you, so it should be unnecessary to
          link to other write ups.

          > Likes:
          > Easy to pitch, even in total darkness (intersting experience).

          EDIT: Spelling of "interesting". (Also, please talk about
          this "interesting" experience in the body of your report. Let the
          reader know!

          > 100% rain and storm proof
          > Luxorious space for two!

          EDIT: Spelling of "Luxurious"