Ralph Ditton -BIP

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
      Hello All

      Just to let you know that I am back from the bush after a Tiger Snake scared
      the living daylights out of me and I out of it. It does not like nearly
      being trodden on, I do not like nearly treading on them. A mutual dislike.

      Got some excellent testing done.

      Ciao

      Ralph

    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2006
        At 08:10 PM 17/04/2006, you wrote:
        >Hello All
        >
        >Just to let you know that I am back from the bush after a Tiger Snake scared
        >the living daylights out of me and I out of it. It does not like nearly
        >being trodden on, I do not like nearly treading on them. A mutual dislike.

        Hey Ralph, the snakes are protected ... shouldn't be picking on them :-)

        How did the rest of the stroll go?

        Andrew

      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2006
          <Snip>

          Hey Ralph, the snakes are protected ... shouldn't be picking on them :-)

          How did the rest of the stroll go?

          Andrew

          What about me. Am I not also protected? I would like to think so.<g>

          There was one dead tiger snake on the track which I saw the following day
          after nearly stepping on the live one. I suspect it met its death by some
          clown whacking it across its back, just behind its head judging by the
          flattened spot.

          The amble up and down the hills in the lush scrub was very enjoyable. Not
          too busy with people on the track. The busiest night was at Tom Road . There
          were twelve of us. Thankfully, I had the Evolution 1P shelter as there were
          a few snorers in the hut according to an irritated female member of another
          party. She was not a happy camper.

          Ralph

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 25, 2006
            At 09:14 AM 25/04/2006, you wrote:
            >I suspect it met its death by some clown whacking it across its
            >back, just behind its head judging by the
            >flattened spot.

            Morons :-(

            >The amble up and down the hills in the lush scrub was very enjoyable.

            Scrub? Track polishing needed? :-) It is a nice area mind you.

            Did you meet the rat at Boarding House?

            >The busiest night was at Tom Road . There
            >were twelve of us.

            Great spot, pity about the crowd.

            Andrew
          • Ralph Ditton
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2006
              Andrew

              No. I think it saw our ugly faces and took fright.

              My walking mate is not too keen on local wildlife walking/crawling over him
              when he's trying to sleep and he would have told me in a vociferous manner,
              with some choice french (Aussie swearing) being directed at it.

              Ralph

              _____

                >No. I think it saw our ugly faces and took fright.
                >
                >My walking mate is not too keen on local wildlife walking/crawling over him
                >when he's trying to sleep and he would have told me in a vociferous manner,
                >with some choice french (Aussie swearing) being directed at it.

                It apparently lives or did live in hole under the hut between the
                water tank and the hut. Of course it all could be a wide rumour. I
                didn't experience it on my end-to-end but did experience the native
                mice in a hut or two further north. Have a finger bite and hole in my
                Cascade as evidence.

                Andrew
              • rayestrella1
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
                  wrote:
                  >Have a finger bite and hole in my Cascade as evidence.
                  >
                  > Andrew

                  You were eaten alive while hiking? Maybe I need to re-think my desires
                  to hike Australia....

                  Ray
                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2006
                    At 10:52 AM 1/05/2006, you wrote:
                    >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@...>
                    >wrote:
                    > >Have a finger bite and hole in my Cascade as evidence.
                    > >
                    > > Andrew
                    > >

                    >You were eaten alive while hiking?

                    Well not quite eaten alive, but was bitten on the end of my finger.
                    Scared the hell out of me as I was asleep. Dived into my bivvy,
                    zipped it up and stayed there for the rest of the night .... I am a
                    wimp :-). I was sleeping in a Bibbulmun Track hut on the northern
                    half; one that is popular so lots of folks leaving food bits around
                    the place I suspect has attracted the mice and rats (native mind you
                    not pommie imports).

                    Allergic to snakes too :-)

                    Regards
                    Andrew