Re: EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Mountain Safety Research (MSR) DragonFly Stove

  • Tord S Eriksson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
      <erd@...> wrote:

      > Despite some errors, your review is otherwise structurally OK, but I
      > really need to see these points addressed in the next draft.

      My, my! Strict rules here, it seems!

      I just wanted to express my deepest delight in the MSR Dragonfly, that
      have supereseeded my MSR XKG stove (and Trangias, et cetera), which
      have been essential to my outdoor activities for decades.

      As the original reviewer I would buy a new one instantly, if someone
      stole the one I got, while that certainly isn't so with my MSR Whisperlite,
      which easily misbehaves!

      I've mainly used the MSR stoves in temperatures above freezing,
      but in good weather as in bad (high winds and rain). The folding
      aluminium windscreen takes some time to get used to, but works
      very well
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
        I'm delighted that you are pleased with the MSR Dragonfly. Why not
        consider submitting a couple of reviews, including the stove, and
        thereby qualify as a tester? We aren't "strict," but we do ask that
        people read the indicated materials (Survival Guide, etc.) on how to
        write a review, as otherwise the results end up being discouraging to
        the reviewer (not to mention to the editor). It's also a good idea to
        look at some current edits to see what's being flagged and why, not to
        mention taking a peek at some successfully completed reviews on the
        main BGT website.

        Best,

        Ted.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Tord S Eriksson" <tord@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
        > <erd@> wrote:
        >
        > > Despite some errors, your review is otherwise structurally OK, but I
        > > really need to see these points addressed in the next draft.
        >
        > My, my! Strict rules here, it seems!
        >
        > I just wanted to express my deepest delight in the MSR Dragonfly, that
        > have supereseeded my MSR XKG stove (and Trangias, et cetera), which
        > have been essential to my outdoor activities for decades.
        >
        > As the original reviewer I would buy a new one instantly, if someone
        > stole the one I got, while that certainly isn't so with my MSR
        Whisperlite,
        > which easily misbehaves!
        >
        > I've mainly used the MSR stoves in temperatures above freezing,
        > but in good weather as in bad (high winds and rain). The folding
        > aluminium windscreen takes some time to get used to, but works
        > very well

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
          At 05:35 PM 5/04/2006, you wrote:
          >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
          ><erd@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Despite some errors, your review is otherwise structurally OK, but I
          > > really need to see these points addressed in the next draft.
          >
          >My, my! Strict rules here, it seems!
          >
          >I just wanted to express my deepest delight in the MSR Dragonfly, that
          >have supereseeded my MSR XKG stove (and Trangias, et cetera), which
          >have been essential to my outdoor activities for decades.

          Dear Tord

          I think you have missed the point of this group and
          BackpackGearTest.org. We are a gear TESTING group, not an opinions
          group as such. We expect high standards in terms of Owner Reviews as
          they are used to assess the writers skills as a gear tester and to
          bring the writer up to speed on our expectations/processes. Also we
          expect our Owner Reviews to be of a high standard as they reflect on
          BackpackGearTest.org overall and thus our testing program.

          If you are only interested only in expressing "an opinion," a group
          such as eopinions might be more suitable avenue.

          Regards
          Andrew Priest

        • Tord Eriksson
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
            On Friday 07 April 2006 09:39, BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > Dear Tord
            >
            > I think you have missed the point of this group and
            > BackpackGearTest.org. We are a gear TESTING group, not an opinions
            > group as such.  We expect high standards in terms of Owner Reviews as
            > they are used to assess the writers skills as a gear tester and to
            > bring the writer up to speed on our expectations/processes. Also we
            > expect our Owner Reviews to be of a high standard as they reflect on
            > BackpackGearTest.org overall and thus our testing program.
            >
            > If you are only interested only in expressing "an opinion," a group
            > such as eopinions might be more suitable avenue.

            I thought the idea was that many should share their own experiences
            of the stuff being tested?!

            I've been on expeditions year round since the Seventies, till a
            severe accident in Scotland 1990 forced me to slow down a bit.
            After eight years I was evntually back at work, albeit with a limp :-(!

            So nowadays trekking is out, while paddling and outdoor life still is in!

            Tord

            www.foldingkayaks.org/gallery/tord
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
              At 07:00 PM 8/04/2006, you wrote:
              >On Friday 07 April 2006 09:39, BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              > > Dear Tord
              >
              >I thought the idea was that many should share their own experiences
              >of the stuff being tested?!

              Dear Tord

              I am not 100% sure as to the point you are trying to make here,
              particularly given your earlier comments on the editing process, but
              if you mean this is a discussion group to discuss the gear that we
              are testing, then no it is not that or at least that is not our
              primary purpose. There are better groups around for that purpose,
              e.g., BackpackTalk for example.

              This Yahoo! group, BackpackGearTest is primary the first stage
              entrance point for our gear testing group and so is an administration group.

              Now I am not trying to be rude here, but with due respect I would
              think we know what we are doing with this group and our program. I
              note also that you joined the group on April 5, 2006. You might want
              to take a bit longer to get a feel for what we about. I wouldn't want
              folks thinking you are a troll and I no doubt you wouldn't want that
              view formed either.

              Therefore I am of the view that there is no point in arguing the toss
              about what we are about in this group. If you wish to discuss
              further the purpose of our program or our groups then please take the
              discussion to our group BGTWeb which you can find at
              http://www.yahoogroups.com/bgtweb. BGTWeb is a more suitable forum
              for this discussion.

              I am closing this discussion thread now in the group, BackpackGearTest.

              Regards
              Andrew
              List Moderator