EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Roman Ultra Lite Trek Advance Sleeping Bag

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
      EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Roman Ultra Lite Trek Advance Sleeping Bag

      Hello Wayne,

      An interesting report, in that this is a bag whose brand I've never
      encountered (though I'm sure there are many such). I have added a few
      comments, where I'm unclear on something. The text should be clarified
      in those areas.

      I was also wondering if you could add a little more information on the
      bag construction. Is the bag baffled or sewn through, for example? How
      are the hood and neck tensions maintained (presumably cords and
      cordlocks)? I did mention the anti-snag tape as an item also worthy of
      mention.

      One further point is comfort. How are the fabrics from a tactile
      perspective? I have one Tactel lined bag, and I rather like the
      fabric, which feels good against the skin.

      As an aside, the silk liner may be adding as much as ten degrees (F)
      to the bag.

      Please edit as indicated, and place an HTML version in the test folder
      and let me know on list when this is done. I'll review the text and
      the HTML, and assuming all is well, give you upload approval. An image
      or two would be great.

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR Editor

      ### EDIT: www.roman.com.au (. not ,)

      > The Roman UltraLite Trek Advance is a DuPont constructed

      ### EDIT: maybe "a sleeping bag constructed of Du Pont materials" As
      it is, it reads as if Du Pont was in some way responsible for manufacture.

      sleeping bag
      > featuring YKK zips on the side and bottom, DuPont Tactel Diamond
      RipStop
      > Nylon outer layer, DuPont Tactel Nylon inner layer, DuPont Thermolite
      > Extra filling, a pillow pocket and a neck collar. The manufacturer
      > claims a +3 C (37.4F)

      ### EDIT: (37 F) Watch the decimals on the conversions!

      temperature rating. The current model has
      > increases the width by 5 cm, the length by 10cm

      ### EDIT: "has increases in the width of 5 cm, the length of 10 cm"

      and added a foot pocket.

      ### EDIT: "and has an added foot pocket."

      > *Review:*
      > I bought the Roman Sleeping Bag in early 2001 and have used it in many
      > varied locations throughout Victoria and Tasmania in Australia, and New
      > Zealand

      EDIT: maybe "Australia, as well as New Zealand,"

      including near beaches, on exposed alpine ridges (but not during
      > the snow season), forested areas and on open grasslands within a tent
      > shelter, as well as in huts in New Zealand. Temperatures encountered
      > during use have varied from 0 C (32 F) to 35 C (95 F). The humidity
      > encountered ranged from 10% to 90%. I have used the sleeping bag at
      > elevations varying from sea level to 1800 m (5900 ft).
      >
      > At 0C (32F)

      ### EDIT: 0 C (32 F)

      > which is the coldest I have used the bag, I was still in undies and
      > socks and was sufficiently warm enough. I am a cold sleeper

      ### COMMENT: Unless this is a regional difference in terminology,
      "cold sleeper" means that you need a bag rated warmer than the actual
      temperature. In this case, you are using the bag lower than its actual
      rating, which would make you a warm sleeper. If it is a regional
      difference, you will need to clarify; if not, correct.

      relative to
      > most people I know, especially my wife, so my experience using the bag
      > in temperatures below its rating of 3C (37F)

      ### EDIT: 3 C (37 F)

      may not translate to other
      > people.

      The side zip
      > can get caught on the bag material, especially the tag showing cleaning
      > instructions. This is in spite of claimed technology used in the bag to
      > prevent snags from occurring.

      ### EDIT: Is there an anti-snag tape along the zip? How wide is it?
      This should probably be mentioned in the physical description.

      These snags, when they do occur, have
      > been easy to fix.
      >
      > The sown in

      ### EDIT: sewn-in

      pillow pocket is too small to fit any real pillow inside, or
      > even most articles of clothing. I tend to place clothing underneath the
      > bag at the top of the liner.
      >
      > Built around the opening of the bag is additional internal padding.

      ### COMMENT: Is this simply extra fill in that area (I'd personally
      use "fill" rather than "padding," which is the "term of art" and is
      the word Roman uses on their website), or does the bag have a draft
      collar?

      The bag can close over the head entirely, but
      > I simply don't feel comfortable sleeping this way.

      ### COMMENT: Do they actually recommend that? It's usually considered
      a bad idea, because it can result in moisture build-up in the bag.

      > The sleeping bag is supplied with a compression stuff bag. This bag is
      > large enough to fit the sleeping bag +

      ### EDIT: plus

      a liner, which is handy in saving
      > space in my backpack.
      >
      > I have now had the Roman sleeping bag for nearly 5 years. In that time
      > there have been no signs of wear and tear on the bag, even though I
      > would have used it

      ### EDIT: "have used it" not "would have used it"

      for more than 150 nights, and it has been on every
      > overnight or longer walk I have ever been on. The bag still looks as
      > good as the day I bought it. I think it is a very durable and well
      made bag.

      > *Summary:*
      > The Roman Ultra Lite Trek Advance is a DuPont based sleeping bag which
      > is rated to 3C (37F)

      ### EDIT: 3 C (37 F)

      . In the nearly 5 years I have had the bag, I have
      > been comfortable in it in temperatures down to 0C (32F).

      ### EDIT: 0 C (32 F)

      The bag is well
      > made, comfortable, and does not show any wear and tear after all the
      > time that I have used it.
      >
      > Things I like:
      > 1. Warm enough for me down to 0C (32F).

      ### EDIT: 0 C (32 F)

      > 2. Lightweight and reasonably compact.
      > 3. Reasonably easy to get into the stuff bag.
      > 4. The torch is cool - particularly when I've lost my main torch in the
      > tent somewhere!
      >

      > Things I don't like:
      > 1. The zip can get stuck on bag material.

    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2006
        At 10:26 PM 4/04/2006, you wrote:
        >EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Roman Ultra Lite Trek Advance Sleeping Bag
        >
        >Hello Wayne,
        >
        >An interesting report, in that this is a bag whose brand I've never
        >encountered (though I'm sure there are many such).

        Hi Ted

        It is an Australian manufacturer who I doubt market outside of Australia.

        Andrew