OWNER REVIEW - Woods Canada City Lite 350 Thinsulate Lite Loft Sleeping Bag

  • Conlan Adams
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      Owner Review - Woods Canada City Lite 350 Thinsulate Lite Loft Sleeping
      Bag

      Review Date: April 1, 2006

      Name: Conlan Aams
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' (1.8 m)
      Weight: 220 lb (99.8 kg)
      Email address: adamscr@...
      City, State, Country: Britton MI, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:
      I've been backpacking for about fourteen years off and on with various
      levels of involvement. I grew up camping, hunting, and fishing, so
      I've never been a stranger to the outdoors. Most trips are backpacking
      and fishing trips, from one night to four. I consider myself a
      comfortable light weight packer, in that I like light gear, but prefer
      a good tent, and external frame pack. My average three season three
      day pack is about 20-22 lbs before water, including food and fuel. So
      far all of my backpacking has been in Michigan, but I hope to change
      that in the next few years. I'm not a person who is generally gentle
      with my gear. I dont abuse it, but overly delicate gear, doesnt last
      long.

      Product Information:
      Product: City Lite 350
      Size: Regular
      Manufacturer: Woods Canada
      Year of Manufacture: 1995 or 1996
      Fill: Thinsulate Lite Loft
      Fill weight: Unlisted
      Listed weight: 2.4lbs 1.09kg

      Temperature rating: 32F/23F (0C/-5C)
      MSRP: Unlisted, found online for $89.99 US

      Product Description:
      This sleeping bag is a rectangluar design with a mummy hood. The
      outter shell is ripstop nylon with a polycotton lining. The insulation
      is Thinsulate Lite Loft made by 3M.

      There is a thin draft tube sewn in above the zipper that goes the full
      length of the bag. It has two drawstrings, one to cinche the bag
      around you neck/shoulders and another to pull the hood tight around
      your face. Both have push button type friction locks.

      The bag was received as a gift, and came in its polyester stuff sack.

      Field Conditions:
      I have slept in this bag more times than I remember. Everything from
      cold spring hunting trips, to hot summer backpacking trips, with rain
      downpours thrown in. The tempetures ranged from about 25F to 80F
      (-3.8C to 26.6C). This bag was not used in winter, and elevation
      stayed between sea level to about 1000FT (0 to 304M).

      Product Review:
      When I first received this bag as a birthday gift, I was ecstatic.
      Finally a lightweight very compressable sleeping bag that I could use,
      and I didnt have to drag along the family camping sleeping bags when I
      went backpacking.

      My first few trips with this bag were great. Mainly in the northern
      part of the lower penninsula of Michigan, most temps were between 40F
      (4C) degrees and 60F (15C). On the nights that it was warmer out, I
      unziped the bag and used it as a blanket.

      This was my main stay bag for years. More recently I was out of the
      sport due to college, getting married, moving, and having a baby, but
      lately I have been picking up where I left off, and have found some
      shortcomings in my old bag. Mainly, its much snugger on my current
      frame and a bit short. I first got this bag when I was 15 or 16, and
      didnt hit my full height and size until I was in my early 20's about
      the time I cut back on my camping. If your six foot or taller (1.8M or
      greater) this isnt a bag for you. If you have a wide frame or
      shoulders, once again, not the bag for you. If you want lots of foot
      room from a mummy style bag, then this one is a winner.

      In the last few years, I have taken this bag to a few more extreme
      temps, and found that if you approach the high side of the rating, you
      may find it lacking. One cold hunting trip when it dipped into the mid
      to low 20s (-7c to -1c) I shivered myself awake, and put on additional
      layers (a fleece pull over and sweat pants) on top of my poly long
      underwear. I slept chilly the rest of the night.

      down to 23F, I suggest having a coat or some blankets handy. Over all,
      taking the limitations of this bag into account, its been a great bag
      for me for years. I am going to replace it as my main three season
      bag, because of the fit issues I have had with it, but I think it will
      stay in my collection for friends and family to use for a few more
      years. Not bad for a light weight bag that I have owned for about ten
      years.

      Things I like:
      1. Light weight
      2. Very compact
      3. Affordable
      4. Full length zipper

      Things I don't like:
      1. Too small for large people
      2. Optimistic temp rating
      3. No draft collar

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
          Apologies Conlan for the mistake on your last name. I do have it
          correctly spelled in the edit queue.

          jamie d

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2006
            Hi Conlan,

            Now I am really confused. After you privated emailed me I went back
            to make sure I had your last name correct in the edit queue, however,
            I noticed on your original post of the Woods Canada City Lite 350
            Sleeping Bag you have your name listed in your Bio as Aams but at the
            top of your email it's Adams.

            Please clarify which is correct.

            Thank you.
            Jamie D
            Edit Admin Officer
          • Conlan Adams
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2006
              Dangit, I must have mistyped it in my review...

              gotta wipe the egg off my face, really glad i dont get uppity...

              Correct spelling is Adams. Conlan Adams

              Conlan

              --- chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

              > Hi Conlan,
              >
              > Now I am really confused. After you privated emailed me I went back
              > to make sure I had your last name correct in the edit queue, however,
              >
              > I noticed on your original post of the Woods Canada City Lite 350
              > Sleeping Bag you have your name listed in your Bio as Aams but at the
              >
              > top of your email it's Adams.
              >
              > Please clarify which is correct.
              >
              > Thank you.
              > Jamie D