OWNER REVIEW - Patagonia Women's Down Jacket

  • HEATHER ROBERTS
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2006
      Patagonia Women�s Down Jacket
      Owner Review

      Biography:
      Name: Heather Roberts
      Age: 27
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5�7� (1.7 m)
      Weight: 115 lbs. (52 kg)
      Torso Length: 21� (53 cm)
      Email Address: patteecreek@...
      Location: Rochester, MN, USA
      Date: March 31, 2006

      Backpacking Background:
      I took up backpacking and day hiking around 1998, shortly after moving to
      western Montana. My experience consists mostly of weekend and overnight
      trips in the Rockies, as well as the Boundary Waters Canoe area of
      Minnesota. I am currently on hiatus from mountain living and now in
      southern MN. I camp and hike often in all seasons and weather, and like to
      leave a tent pitched in my backyard for when it�s not feasible to get away.

      When not hiking or camping with my dog, I enjoy peaceful trips down the
      river in my kayak in addition to snowshoeing and cross-country skiing in the
      winter. I plan to spend significant time outdoors this spring and summer
      exploring the blufflands and wetlands of southern Minnesota. I�m also
      looking forward to occasional trips to the Boundary Waters area and perhaps
      a week out west.

      I switch gear often in an effort to find what is most functional, durable,
      and lightweight. I attempt to impact the areas I visit as little as
      possible, and rarely utilize campfires. Setting-up and leaving camp quickly
      and efficiently to move onto the next site is important with the way I
      travel.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Patagonia
      Website: http://www.patagonia.com
      Weight: 18 oz (510 g)
      Purchased: end of season sale in 2004, $109 (US)
      MSPR: $199 (US)

      A women�s specific down jacket with 700-fill-power, and created for cold
      weather. Outer fabric is ripstop polyester with DWR (Durable Water
      Repellant) finish. Available in sizes XS-L. It�s high-loft and packs down
      small.

      �With zipper handwarmer pockets, a drawcord hem and an interior zippered
      stash pocket. The women�s jacket has curved quilting lines for a more
      feminine look.� --Patagonia website.

      Field Information:
      Locations: Western Montana and throughout Minnesota.
      Terrain: Everything from steep rocky high elevation to city sidewalks.
      Weather conditions: Clear and dry to pouring rain to blizzard conditions,
      with temperatures anywhere from �30 F (-34 C) degrees to 40 F (4 C) degrees.

      Field Assesment:
      This jacket was worn on a one week mid-winter trip from Lake Superior along
      the Minnesota border, eastward into boreal forest. The jacket encountered
      unexpected heavy rain, to which it is obviously not suited. Down is never a
      good choice for rain, and so it was pushed to its limits. The jacket was
      soaked, and lost at least half its loft, leaving me chilled. Impressively,
      my under layers remained dry. After a night in the tent, it dried
      significantly, but was still damp and required aid from a restroom hand
      dryer that was fortunately available. I was disappointed with the DWR
      finish. Though it�s not meant to protect you from downpours, water
      saturated the shell even in the early stages of rain.

      I have hiked through dense brush in this jacket, and several times expected
      it to tear on a snag, yet it hasn�t. What appears to be a delicate outer
      fabric is definitely not. This has kept me warm in temperatures as low as
      �30 F (-34 C) all the way up to 40 F (4 C), though it tends to get on the
      warm side if you�re doing any sort of aerobic activity for very long. On
      the plus side, wear it until you get warm, stuff it quickly in the included
      sack, and keep moving.

      Fit:
      My favorite part of this jacket is the fit: not too long, not too short.
      It has added torso length that most brands don�t seem to, and is great for
      tall women or activities that involve bending and stretching. Fit is fairly
      true to size, while allowing just enough room to add layers underneath.
      Great color choices, and a female friendly fit.

      Extras:
      The interior zippered stash pocket is handy for a small snack, ID, or
      whatever. The handwarmer pockets are roomy and lined with the same
      water-repellant polyester shell fabric, but could handle a little
      softer/warmer feeling material for the sake of hand coziness. The zipper
      pulls are rubber and easy to pull with mittens or gloves on.

      Washing:
      This jacket was covered in dirt, grease, and various other grime. Dreading
      washing a down item, I waited an excessive length of time before cleaning
      it, and after a couple of cycles with down wash, tennis balls (they help to
      separate the wet clumps) and a minimal amount of hand separating, it looked
      like new. The washing tag is even kind enough to suggest using tennis
      balls!

      rather than turning up the heat.

      Overall, the Patagonia Women�s Down Jacket is awesome for camp, around town,
      or anyplace you need to stay warm. It packs down snugly into its own
      stuffsack and is perfect for throwing in your backpack incase you stop
      awhile. Very high loft and keeps the wind out, but not ideal in wet
      conditions. Durable, lightweight, and warm are the key factors here.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
          Hi Heather -

          Good first review - you've covered most of the key points. I've got
          some edits below, and several of them fall into a category you may not
          have been aware of: we avoid second person and the use of "you" in
          reviews, along with any projection of what others might experience.
          Just focus on your own personal findings and opinions, and others will
          extrapolate.

          When you've made the requested edits, go ahead and repost your review
          here with the word "REPOST" included in the subject.

          Thanks for the review!

          - Steve
          BGT Edit Moderator

          [EDITS FOLLOW:]

          Patagonia Women's Down Jacket
          ***EDIT: Please add a model name and/or number here

          Weight: 115 lbs. (52 kg)
          ***EDIT: Minor style thing, but the preferred abbreviation is "lb"
          with no period (consistent with all of the other measure
          abbreviations). For a full list, you can visit
          www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

[...]

          ***EDIT: We like to keep background statements to about 100 words.
          That's not a firm limit, but it would be great for you to slim down
          your background a bit. Your bio has good info, so just think a bit
          more about what will be most useful to communicate to readers so that
          they can put your review in the proper context of experience, style
          and conditions (e.g., future trips can be covered in individual
          reports as they happen).

          Product Information:
          Manufacturer: Patagonia
          Website: http://www.patagonia.com
          ***EDITS: Again, model name or number would be good; so would color
          and size of your specific jacket.
          Weight: 18 oz (510 g)
          ***EDIT: Is this the listed weight? If so, for which size? How much
          does yours actually weigh?
          Purchased: end of season sale in 2004, $109 (US)
          ***EDITS: Remove the price and mention of purchasing on sale; if you
          know the year of manufacture include it, but otherwise give your year
          of purchase.
          MSPR: $199 (US)
          ***EDIT: "MSRP"

          ***EDIT SUGGESTION: If you have a picture of your jacket, or of you
          wearing it, that would be a great inclusion for your HTML review.

          Field Assesment:
          ***EDIT: "Assessment"

          Though it's not meant to protect you from downpours, water
          saturated the shell even in the early stages of rain.
          ***EDIT: In accordance with BGT style, avoid use of "you" - in this
          case, just taking the word out would be great

          This has kept me warm in temperatures as low as
          –30 F (-34 C) all the way up to 40 F (4 C), though it tends to get on the
          warm side if you're doing any sort of aerobic activity for very long.
          ***EDIT: Personalize this - "if I'm doing"

          On the plus side, wear it until you get warm, stuff it quickly in the
          included
          sack, and keep moving.
          ***EDIT: Again, personalize; for example, "I wear it until I get warm,..."

          It has added torso length that most brands don't seem to, and is great for
          tall women or activities that involve bending and stretching.
          ***EDIT: Stick to your experience; e.g., take out "great for tall
          women" or reword to make it specifically about you - e.g. "great for
          my taller size" or "longer torso"

          Overall, the Patagonia Women's Down Jacket is awesome for camp, around
          town,
          or anyplace you need to stay warm.
          ***EDIT: Personalize - e.g. "I need"

          It packs down snugly into its own stuffsack and is perfect for
          throwing in your backpack incase you stop awhile.
          ***EDITS: "my backpack" and "I stop"

          [END OF EDITS]