EDIT: Vapor Trail pack - Ray Estrella

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 27, 2006
      EDIT: Vapor Trail pack - Ray Estrella

      Hi Ray

      You again! :-) Gear freak! :-) (all said in the nicest possible way of course).
      OK, a few small edits, plus some grammar.

      No comments about how the shoulder straps ride? Curling? Sliding off? Just curious.

      You can upload after you make the fixes to
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Granite%20Gear%20Vapor%20Trail/
      If you want to add some stuff about the shoulder straps I would be happy to check it over again - html version only
      maybe with notice on this channel.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR EDitor
      ------------------------------------
      > Volume: 3,600 cu in (59L)
      Edit: real nit pick: 'Volume listed'. Not that I have ever worked out how THEY measure it.

      > The main pack body is made of 70-D Hybrid Cordura Nylon Rip-Stop. It is
      > very light feeling, but has proven to be pretty tough in the field.
      EDIT: the HTML has a font change here which needs fixing

      > The same materiel
      EDIT: material

      > there are two more compression straps that cris-cross the opening.
      EDIT: criss-cross

      > At the top of the pad is a sewn on grab loop.
      EDIT: sewn-on

      > The one at the top of the shoulder adjust the distance the pack body
      EDIT: either 'the ones at the top adjust ' or 'the one at the top adjusts '

      > The shoulder straps have high density foam inside of them.
      EDIT: you will be hung drawn and quartered for that: ' inside them' without the 'of'

      > The removable hip belt is made of this foam also.
      Edit: you end the last sentence with also. It would sound a lot better if you changed this 'also' to 'too'.

      > The temperatures on this hike ranged from 105 F (41 C) under scorching
      > sun, to 27 F (-3 C) and snowing.
      Comment: ouch!

      > I had read a lot of good things about the Vapor trail and bought mine
      EDIT: Vapour Trail

      > (Still quite a ways off Dave's 17 lb [7.7 kg] for the same trip.)
      Comment: style only. I wouldn't bother with the parentheses. Just style.

      > is easy to over load it.
      EDIT: overload, one word.

      > Going back to 28 lb (12.7 kg) felt wonderful.
      YEAH!

      > It is much easier to access than a pocket inside of the pack
      EDIT: no 'of'

      > Vapor Trail inside of my Bora 95.
      EDIT: no 'of'

      > Coming back down having the compact Vapor Trail made glissading
      Comment: I would write 'carrying'nstead of 'having' - style.

      > The pockets work ok for standard Nalgene bottles.
      Edit: OK, in caps

      >I had been concerned that the full pad against my back would mean a
      > warmer carry than other packs,
      Edit: good grammar would be "warmer carry than with other packs"

      > Even in Death Valley my back was no hotter than the rest of me.
      Comment: all damn hot, eh? :-)
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 28, 2006
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
        <r.caffin@...> wrote:

        > EDIT: Vapor Trail pack - Ray Estrella
        >
        > Hi Ray
        >
        > You again! :-) Gear freak! :-) (all said in the nicest possible
        way of course).
        > OK, a few small edits, plus some grammar.
        >
        > No comments about how the shoulder straps ride? Curling? Sliding
        off? Just curious.

        Hi Roger,

        Yes I am a gear freak to the max! I made the changes you suggested,
        and added a paragraph about the shoulder straps in the Use section.
        I will post a HTML to the test and wait for an OK from you to post
        the final.

        > > The shoulder straps have high density foam inside of them.
        > EDIT: you will be hung drawn and quartered for that: ' inside
        them' without the 'of'

        Thanks, I do that a lot. I will try to remember in the future. I was
        drawn once in art class......

        > > The temperatures on this hike ranged from 105 F (41 C) under
        scorching
        > > sun, to 27 F (-3 C) and snowing.
        > Comment: ouch!
        > > Even in Death Valley my back was no hotter than the rest of me.
        > Comment: all damn hot, eh? :-)

        It was the wierdest hike I have ever done. We spent a lot of time
        walking on black-top, and I have no idea how hot it got at the
        surface. But I blistered my feet so bad that an ER doctor in Lone
        Pine told me I had to stop the hike because one toe was turning
        gangreous. As you can see I finished it. I lost 5 toenails after.
      • Roger Caffin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
          Re: EDIT: Vapor Trail pack - Ray Estrella

          > I made the changes you suggested, and added a paragraph about
          >shoulder straps in the Use section. I will post a HTML to the test
          > and wait for an OK from you to post the final.
          Comment: Looks good to me. I think it was worth the effort too.
          Upload.

          > I was drawn once in art class......
          DOWN Roger, DOWN!
          Sorry - but at least I resisted ... :-)

          Apropos of which, the last pic in the OR. It looks as though it is covered in spider webs? I take it you scanned a
          print, and the print was damaged slightly? Not to worry - it just caught my eye. No action needed. Just curious.

          > But I blistered my feet so bad that an ER doctor in Lone
          > Pine told me I had to stop the hike because one toe was turning
          > gangreous. As you can see I finished it. I lost 5 toenails after.
          Rocks in his head .... Brain fried completely....
          Mumble.
          Glad you survived!

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
        • Graham Blamey
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
            wrote:
            > Apropos of which, the last pic in the OR. It looks as though it is
            covered in spider webs? I take it you scanned a
            > print, and the print was damaged slightly? Not to worry - it just
            caught my eye. No action needed. Just curious.

            ### Looks like out-of-focus dead vegetation to me, Ray?
            (I was wondering whether the warning sign said 'Do not lean against
            this pipe' :) (I once walked across a field to read a small sign that
            said 'Danger do not walk on this field')
          • rayestrella1
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
              <r.caffin@...> wrote:
              > Comment: Looks good to me. I think it was worth the effort too.
              > Upload.

              Thanks Roger, I will get it uploaded right now.

              > Apropos of which, the last pic in the OR. It looks as though it is
              covered in spider webs? I take it you scanned a
              > print, and the print was damaged slightly? Not to worry - it just
              caught my eye. No action needed. Just curious.

              I will check it out. It is from a digital camera, not a scan.

              > Rocks in his head .... Brain fried completely....
              > Mumble.
              > Glad you survived!

              Yes, yes, and thanks.

              Ray
            • rayestrella1
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 29, 2006
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Blamey" <gg@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin" <r.caffin@>
                > wrote:
                > > Apropos of which, the last pic in the OR. It looks as though it is
                > covered in spider webs?

                > ### Looks like out-of-focus dead vegetation to me, Ray?
                > (I was wondering whether the warning sign said 'Do not lean against
                > this pipe' :) (I once walked across a field to read a small sign
                that
                > said 'Danger do not walk on this field')

                Ah, yes. It is dried out brush between us and the camera. The sign
                said "Do not drink". There are these water tanks every so often for
                over-heated vehicles. When I pre-scouted the hike I took notice of
                them, and brought a filter in case we had to make use of them. But all
                of our water caches were safe, so no need.

                Ray
              • colonelcorn76
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 30, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > Re: EDIT: Vapor Trail pack - Ray Estrella

                  Ray,
                  I've got the same pack (for an Apri trip to the Grand Canyon and then
                  14 days in August in New Mexico) and I'm interested in the "bladder
                  pocket".

                  My pack has what I initially thought was the bladder pocket between
                  the pack & the padded back...but I've also got a small rubber bladder
                  hose port in the fabric of the pack body (on the right side just above
                  where it goes from pack body to the extension collar fabric). When I
                  saw that I looked closer inside and there's another pocket sewn to the
                  back of the pack inside the bag itself. That pocket also has a
                  shockcord web attached to it.

                  So, is the space between the padded back & the pack a pocket or just a
                  coincidence of construction? If it's the bladder pocket, what's the
                  pocket inside the pack for & what's the little port in the pack fabric
                  for?

                  Jim
                • rayestrella1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
                    --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
                    <colonelcorn76@...> wrote:

                    > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin" <r.caffin@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Re: EDIT: Vapor Trail pack - Ray Estrella
                    >
                    > Ray,
                    > I've got the same pack (for an Apri trip to the Grand Canyon and
                    then
                    > 14 days in August in New Mexico) and I'm interested in the "bladder
                    > pocket".
                    >
                    > My pack has what I initially thought was the bladder pocket between
                    > the pack & the padded back...but I've also got a small rubber
                    bladder
                    > hose port in the fabric of the pack body (on the right side just
                    above
                    > where it goes from pack body to the extension collar fabric). When
                    > saw that I looked closer inside and there's another pocket sewn to
                    the
                    > back of the pack inside the bag itself. That pocket also has a
                    > shockcord web attached to it.
                    >
                    > So, is the space between the padded back & the pack a pocket or
                    just a
                    > coincidence of construction? If it's the bladder pocket, what's the
                    > pocket inside the pack for & what's the little port in the pack
                    fabric
                    > for?
                    >
                    > Jim

                    Hi Jim,

                    Mine does not have a port in the bag, nor does it have an internal
                    pocket. I think that was added in 2005 or 06. Personally I would
                    still use the space between the frame and pack even if mine had
                    both, for the ease in refilling mid-trek.

                    Inside of my pack where you describe the shock-corded pocket is just
                    a key-clip.

                    I am guessing that they added the pocket inside to make it
                    truly "hydration ready", rather than just having a great space that
                    works as oneĀ….

                    Have fun next month,

                    Ray
                  • colonelcorn76
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
                      <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jim,
                      >
                      > Mine does not have a port in the bag, nor does it have an internal
                      > pocket. I think that was added in 2005 or 06. Personally I would
                      > still use the space between the frame and pack even if mine had
                      > both, for the ease in refilling mid-trek.

                      ### I'm stuffing my Frogg Toggs in that space and using the inside
                      pocket for the bladder. That way I don't have to root inside the pack
                      to get my rain gear out.

                      > Inside of my pack where you describe the shock-corded pocket is just
                      > a key-clip.

                      ### The key clip is still there. I use it to clip a small photon light
                      so I always *know* where one is in case of emergency.