OWNER REVIEW - Platypus Shutoff Valve

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2006
      Owner Review
      Platypus Shutoff Valve

      Name: Stephen Latza
      Age: 53
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      Weight: 185 lbs (84 kg)
      Email address: GreenBoonie –at- backpacker.com
      City, State, Country: Twinsburg, Ohio, U.S.
      Date: March 26, 2006

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in the spring of 2001.
      Most of my trips have been one or two night weekend excursions to
      the trails in western Pennsylvania and in southern Ohio. I try to
      get out at least once a month or so. Typical daily mileage is 6 to
      10 miles (9.66 to 16.10 km). Usual weekend pack weight is around 30
      lbs (13.61 kg) with food and water.

      Manufacturer – Platypus Hydration
      Year of Manufacture – 2005
      Manufacturer's Web Site – www.platypushydration.com
      MSRP - $5.95
      Weight as tested – 0.2 oz
      Size as tested – 2 in x 1.5 in

      Product description. The Platypus shutoff valve is a yellow and blue
      right angled plastic twist valve. It is an upgrade that has helped
      prevent spills and added a 90 degree angle to the end of the bladder
      hose. It is easy to operate with just a twist needed to open or
      close the shutoff valve. The shutoff valve does not replace the
      bite valve. The Platypus Shutoff Valve is covered by a lifetime
      warranty.

      Field Information
      Location Tested – I have been using the Platypus Shutoff Valve for
      one year now in the hills of North Western Pennsylvania and Southern
      Ohio. The temperature has ranged from a high of 80 F (27 C) to a low
      of 40 F (5 C).

      Product Review

      I purchased the Platypus Shutoff Valve for my Platypus Hoser 3L
      water bladder after a couple of accidental leaks from the bite
      valve. Once was in my tent as I was packing up in the morning. I
      found myself kneeling in a puddle of water in my tent and realized
      my foot was resting on the valve causing it to leak. Luckily not too
      much water had leaked out and I easily wiped up the water. The
      second time happened the second day out on a multi day trip. I had
      packed up my backpack in the morning, checking the bladder to make
      sure I had enough water for the morning hike, and then had set the
      pack down against a tree. I did not notice the bite valve was
      between the backpack and the tree. There was just enough pressure on
      the bite valve to cause it to start leaking. I did not realize this
      as I waited for the other hikers to get ready. I put on my backpack
      noticing the bottom of it was a little wet. I just assumed it was
      from the damp grass the backpack was sitting on by the tree. A
      couple of miles down the trail I started having trouble getting
      water from the bladder. I removed my backpack to check the bladder
      and found it empty. The inside of the pack was dry so I knew it did
      not leak from the bladder inside. It was then that I realized the
      bottom of my pack got wet from the valve leaking. Luckily there was
      water available a little farther down the trail and I refilled it.
      It could have been a dangerous situation if water was not available.
      I decided then to get the Platypus Shutoff Valve and hopefully avoid
      another accident like that.

      The Platypus Shutoff Valve is attached to the end of the bladder
      hose by removing the bite valve and inserting the blue inlet barb
      into the end of the bladder hose. I found by licking the barb before
      trying to insert it into the hose helps with the insertion process.
      The bite valve is then put over the yellow end of the shutoff valve.
      This is also made easier by licking the yellow end of the shutoff
      valve before putting the bite valve on it.

      The shutoff valve has a raised ridge on both the yellow and blue
      parts to help with aligning the valve in an open or closed position.
      When I twist the yellow section and align the ridge on the yellow
      and blue sections the valve is in the open position and I can now
      get water to flow through the bite valve. To shut off the valve I
      just twist the yellow section to either side, until it stops, and
      the valve is now closed. The raised ridge also gives me a quick
      visual indicator to know if I have the valve opened or closed. I
      have not had any leaks from the bite valve or the shutoff valve
      since I installed it. The valve appears to be well made and solid.
      The twisting motion feels smooth, but not loose. The 90 degree bend
      in the shutoff valve also helps with the position of the bite valve
      while putting it in my mouth. I have not noticed any diminished flow
      capacity through the bite valve with the addition of the shutoff
      valve. I still get a good amount of water with a not a lot of
      suction effort.

      Another benefit of the shutoff valve is it allows me to remove the
      bite valve while feeding the bladder hose through the backpack
      hydration hose exit port without having any water leak out of the
      hose. I then just put the bite valve back on the shutoff valve and I
      am ready to drink. Before I would have to squeeze the bite valve
      through the opening and some water would leak out of the bite valve.
      Not enough to cause a big problem but it would still get things wet.
      It also gives me security knowing if the bite valve were to fail I
      could still get water from the bladder and not have it leaking from
      the hose.

      I clean the shutoff valve after each trip. To clean it I will fill
      the bladder with hot soapy water, shake it up real good, allow the
      soapy water to run through the tube, shutoff valve, and mouthpiece,
      and rinse thoroughly with hot water. To disinfect it I will put one
      ounce of unscented household bleach in the bladder with 1 liter (34
      oz) of clean water and shake it up. I also allow the bleach and
      water to run through the hose, shutoff valve, and mouthpiece. I
      rinse everything well with clean water. This has kept the shutoff
      valve clean and ready for the next time I need to use it.

      Conclusion. The Platypus Shutoff Valve has stopped the accidental
      loss of water from my Platypus Hoser 3L bladder.

      Likes
      1. Easy to install
      2. Easy to use
      3. No more accidental leaks

      Dislikes
      None
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2006
          EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Platypus Shutoff Valve

          Hello Stephen,

          Not much to edit here. Good! Please make the appropriate corrections
          and post your HTML in the Owner Review test folder. Notify me on this
          list when this has been done, and I'll check the HTML and make sure
          there is nothing I've otherwise overlooked. You will then be free to
          upload to the site (as soon as I provide a folder).

          Thanks,

          Ted

          BGT OR editor

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <GreenBoonie@...> wrote:

          > Owner Review
          > Platypus Shutoff Valve

          ### EDIT: Date here, please

          > Name: Stephen Latza
          > Age: 53
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
          > Weight: 185 lbs (84 kg)
          > Email address: GreenBoonie –at- backpacker.com
          > City, State, Country: Twinsburg, Ohio, U.S.
          > Date: March 26, 2006

          ### EDIT: and remove from date from here

          > Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in the spring of 2001.
          Most of my trips have been one or two night weekend excursions to
          the trails in western Pennsylvania and in southern Ohio. I try to
          get out at least once a month or so. Typical daily mileage is 6 to
          10 miles (9.66 to 16.10 km). Usual weekend pack weight is around 30
          lbs (13.61 kg) with food and water.

          ### EDIT: Regarding conversions, try to keep the accuracy to the same
          level as the unit being converted. Thus, 6 miles becomes 10 km, 10
          miles becomes 16 km. Similarly, pack weight become 13.6 kg (or just 14
          kg). We tend to use lb rather than lbs as the unit (units are not
          usually pluralized in abbreviation).

          Manufacturer – Platypus Hydration
          Year of Manufacture – 2005
          Manufacturer's Web Site – www.platypushydration.com
          MSRP - $5.95

          ### EDIT: MSRP - $5.96 US

          Weight as tested – 0.2 oz
          Size as tested – 2 in x 1.5 in

          EDIT: Metric conversions for these two items, please

          > Field Information
          > Location Tested – I have been using the Platypus Shutoff Valve for
          > one year now in the hills of North Western Pennsylvania and Southern
          > Ohio. The temperature has ranged from a high of 80 F (27 C) to a low
          > of 40 F (5 C).

          ### EDIT: It's not critical in this case, but as a general rule the
          elevation range is indicated in field info, as well as the range of
          weather experienced. Please do expand this section to cover those
          areas, just for consistency.

          > Product Review
          >
          > I purchased the Platypus Shutoff Valve for my Platypus Hoser 3L
          > water bladder after a couple of accidental leaks from the bite
          > valve. Once was in my tent as I was packing up in the morning. I
          > found myself kneeling in a puddle of water in my tent and realized
          > my foot was resting on the valve causing it to leak. Luckily not too
          > much water had leaked out and I easily wiped up the water. The
          > second time happened the second day out on a multi day

          ### EDIT: multi-day

          trip.
          > It also gives me security knowing if the bite valve were to fail I
          > could still get water from the bladder and not have it leaking from
          > the hose.
          >
          > I clean the shutoff valve after each trip. To clean it I will fill
          > the bladder with hot soapy water, shake it up real good, allow the
          > soapy water to run through the tube, shutoff valve, and mouthpiece,
          > and rinse thoroughly with hot water. To disinfect it I will put one
          > ounce of unscented household bleach in the bladder with 1 liter (34
          > oz) of clean water and shake it up. I also allow the bleach and
          > water to run through the hose, shutoff valve, and mouthpiece. I
          > rinse everything well with clean water. This has kept the shutoff
          > valve clean and ready for the next time I need to use it.

          ### COMMENT: Are these the cleaning instructions per Platypus, or your
          own?
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
            Ted,

            I have uploaded the html version to the test folder with the edits
            and pictures for your review. Thanks for your help with this one.

            Steve

            <erd@...> wrote:

            > EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Platypus Shutoff Valve
            >
            > Hello Stephen,
            >
            > Not much to edit here. Good! Please make the appropriate
            corrections
            > and post your HTML in the Owner Review test folder. Notify me on
            this
            > list when this has been done, and I'll check the HTML and make sure
            > there is nothing I've otherwise overlooked. You will then be free
            > upload to the site (as soon as I provide a folder).
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Ted
            >
            > BGT OR editor

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
              Hi Steve,

              One tiny correction and you are ready to upload.

              EDIT: Under "Product description" you have at one point "Platypus
              shutoff valve." As you have "Platypus Shutoff Valve" consistently
              elsewhere, the capitalization should match (it's in effect a
              three-word proper noun, so you are correct to capitalize).

              Please upload to

              http://tinyurl.com/mvmpg

              otherwise known as

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bladders/Platypus%20Shutoff%20Valve/

              When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
              marked Owner Review.

              support group,

              BGTFileUploadHelp @

              As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
              Agreement, for which see:

              that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
              the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
              paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

              For further details see

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

              You will also need to join:

              This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

              However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
              Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing
              and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

              Congratulations!

              Ted

              BGT OR EDITOR
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
                Ted,

                I uploaded the review to the folder on the site. I will keep on
                submitting owner reviews as there are a few more items I have that I
                want to do reviews of. Thanks again for all your help.

                Steve

                <erd@...> wrote:

                > Hi Steve,
                >
                > One tiny correction and you are ready to upload.
                >
                > EDIT: Under "Product description" you have at one point "Platypus
                > shutoff valve." As you have "Platypus Shutoff Valve" consistently
                > elsewhere, the capitalization should match (it's in effect a
                > three-word proper noun, so you are correct to capitalize).
                >
                > Please upload to
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/mvmpg
                >
                > otherwise known as
                >
                > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%
                20Systems/Bladders/Platypus%20Shutoff%20Valve/

                > When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the
                button
                > marked Owner Review.
                >
                > If you require assistance with your upload, please ask in our
                Yahoo!
                > support group,
                >
                > BGTFileUploadHelp @
                >
                > As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a
                Tester
                > Agreement, for which see:

                Tester%20Agreement%20Docs/