Wayne Merry Please Read - OWNER REVIEW - MSR Sidewinder 2

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 11:59 PM

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Officer
    • nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9 3:50 PM
        Wayne -

        Nice, solid first OR. I've made some edits below, and would like you
        to address them, then repost your review with the word "REPOST"
        included in the subject line. Don't be daunted by the number of edits
        - most fall into just a few general categories (avoiding 2nd person
        and projecting others' experiences; conversions of measurements; some
        basic info we like to see in the reviews).

        I look forward to seeing and approving your repost.

        Regards,
        Steve
        BGT Edit Moderator

        [EDITS FOLLOW:]

        I generally like the temperature
        to stay above zero (C), and have not camped above the snow line.
        ***EDIT: consider saying "stay above freezing", or add Fahrenheit
        equivalent (even though it's obvious)

        Year of manufacture: 2003? (Actually unknown but either 2003 or 2004)
        ***EDIT SUGGESTION: you can just pare this down to "Unknown, but
        either..." and skip the first half for redundancy

        - Packed size: 6" x 22"
        ***EDIT: add metric equivalents

        My measurements of the floor area gave 2.2m by 1.3m (2.9 sq metres)
        ***EDIT: add imperial equivalents

        Price: US$299 recommended. Many US places seem to have this model at
        US$199 end of model runout. Australian prices seem to be around A$800. I
        imported it from the US for A$350 including freight costs.
        ***EDIT: Just state the MSRP - no additional prices needed

        ***EDIT SUGGESTION: Consider adding an overall description of this
        tent right up front. What style is it (single- or double-wall; dome or
        a-frame; free-standing or not, etc.)? For how many people? How many
        poles, stakes, entrances, vents, etc.? What materials were used? While
        you get to some of this later on in the review, putting a summary up
        front will help set the context for readers.

        ***EDIT: Please also add some additional general information about
        where you used the tent: you mention locations, but it would be good
        to see seasons/weather/temperature extremes and elevations/general
        location types. No need to go overboard on this - but great to note if
        you've had it on exposed ridges versus only in sheltered, tree-covered
        areas, and whether it's been out in blustery winds and strong
        precipitation.

        I found the Sidewinder 2 easy to set up. 3 - 5 minutes for a single
        person at a relaxed pace is enough time.
        ***EDIT: Best to say "It takes me 3-5 minutes by myself at a relaxed
        pace" so you're not projecting what others might experience.

        The fly can be used alone in a
        shelter configuration with 4 stakes, thus the tent can be setup in wet,
        even stormy conditions without getting the groundsheet wet.
        ***EDIT: "set up"

        I have not purchased the footprint, so I
        can't report on it's use.
        ***EDIT: "its"

        The vestibules and doors on both sides are the same size, but
        orientated in
        opposite directions, so you can take your pick as to which door is
        better to use during a storm.
        ***EDITS: "oriented"; also, while we try to avoid 2nd-person ("you"),
        this usage can probably squeak by...

        The zip lines on the doors are not over
        the ground sheet, so even if the rain is coming in near horizontal, you
        should always be able to use one of the doors to get in and out without
        getting inside wet.
        ***EDIT: Best to personalize; e.g., "We" or "I have always been able
        to use..."

        The lowest temperature we encountered while using the Sidewinder was 5
        degrees C,
        which no significant condensation was noted, even in quite still
        conditions.
        ***EDIT: Please add equivalent temperature in F

        The Sidewinder does need a large area to pitch due to the two large
        vestibules, however only the area of the main tent need be near flat.
        ***EDIT: "needs" or "needs to"

        Each vestibule is big enough to put two packs in & boots and
        misc stuff, so you can use the other for cooking without any gear in it.
        ***EDIT: again, best to personalize; e.g., "and we use the other" or
        similar...

        If raising the tent in this kind of wind, two stakes at the upward
        wind end
        should be placed before raising the tent to prevent it blowing away.
        ***EDIT QUESTION: We'd say "upwind end", but if your phrasing is
        standard in Australia, no worries

        Carrying an extra 3 stakes
        will add a little bit more weight, but is a smart move if you are
        planning a trip to particularly windy areas.
        ***EDIT: again, personalizing this would be ideal; e.g., "I feel it's
        a smart move when I'm planning a trip..."

        2. International Support: Pay high freight costs, or repair broken poles
        yourself.
        ***EDIT: I'd remove this point, as it's not a feature (or flaw) of the
        tent itself, but rather a fact of life for anyone ordering gear from
        overseas

        [END OF EDITS]