REPOST: Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag - Pat McNeilly

  • mcne4752
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi Roger,

      Thanks for the edits. I think I have addressed all of them. I have
      uploaded an html version to the Test/OR folder. I have not included
      pictures since I have still having trouble incorporating them
      properly (I'm new to html). I am interested in any other comment
      you might have.

      Thanks again

      Pat McNeilly

      Owner Review

      Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag
      Review Date: February 18, 2006
      Name: Pat McNeilly
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      Email address: pmcneilly@...
      City, State, Country: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for at least 20 years
      but backpacking for only the last three years. Most of my
      backpacking is done as overnight trips and occasional weekend and
      weeklong trips. My typical packweight is approximately 18 to 20 lb
      (8 to 9 kg) before food or water. Most of my backpacking is the
      three season variety in the mountains of Maryland, Virginia, and
      West Virginia. In addition to backpacking, I also fish, hunt, and
      have been involved in disaster relief. As a result, some of my
      backpacking equipment gets use in a number of different venues.

      Product Information

      Product: Light Year 25
      Size: Regular
      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Fill: 650-fill down
      Fill weight: 15 oz (0.4 kg)
      Temperature rating: 25 F (-4 C)
      MSRP: $129.95 US

      As listed As measured
      Weight 2 lb (0.9 kg) 2 lb 4 oz (1 kg)*
      Length 80 in (203 cm) 79 in (201 cm)
      Girth 62 in (157 cm) 62 in (157 cm)**
      Stuff sack 1.5 oz (42 g)
      * Compressed in stuff sack
      ** Measured along the longest inside seam

      Product Description:
      The Light Year 25 is a lightweight 650-fill down sleeping bag. The
      top of the bag is golden yellow, while the underside is charcoal
      grey in color. The outer shell of the bag is made of 100% "diamond
      ripstop" nylon which the manufacturer indicates is treated with a
      Dupont Teflon finish for moisture protection. The lining of the bag
      consists of a black 100% polyester material. The side two-way
      zipper is hip length, measures 39 in (99 cm) in length, and is
      covered by a 1.5 in (4 cm) down filled draft tube. At the top of
      the zipper is a 2 in x 2 in (5 cm x 5 cm) velcro tag to keep the
      zipper from inadvertently opening. The foot section of the bag is
      fitted with a 13 in (33 cm) zipper to allow for ventilation in warm
      weather. The foot zipper is also backed by a 1.5 in (4 cm) down
      filled draft tube. The bag is equipped with flat and round draw
      cords for the hood and collar, respectively. Attached to the
      outside are four loops with small snaps which allow the bag to be
      used as a liner inside another bag during cold temperatures. In
      addition, there are four loops on the inside for attaching a bag
      liner to the Light Year 25. On either side of the foot section are
      two nylon loops for hanging the bag for drying. The bag has two
      additional nylon loops on each side along the outside seam for
      attaching to a sleeping pad. The Light Year 25 also comes with a 7
      in x 12 in (18 cm x 30 cm) stuff sack and a cotton storage sack.

      Field Conditions:
      I have slept in this bag approximately 12 to 15 times, primarily on
      trips in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. I primarily
      used the Light Year 25 only on trips during the spring, summer and
      fall. This bag did not get backpacking use during the winter
      season. The elevation on these trips varied from sea level to 4000
      ft (0 to 1200 m). The nighttime temperatures I encountered on
      these trips ranged anywhere from 30 F to 70 F (-1 C to 21 C). I
      have had to deal with humid weather and showers but never with
      severe rainstorms with this bag.

      Product Review:
      I purchased the Light Year 25 about 15 months ago in an effort to
      move toward a lighter pack weight for my three season backpacking.
      The light weight and small stuff size were very attractive
      features. The bag certainly lives up to those initial
      expectations. The bag is much lighter than other synthetic bags I
      owned and fits relatively easily into the factory stuff sack.

      The bag is quite roomy and I don't have any problems moving around
      while inside. The side zipper runs along ground level and I do
      sometimes have trouble getting hold of and maneuvering it while in
      the bag. The zipper is smooth and I have never had problems with it
      binding in the draft tube. This may be due to the fact that the
      draft tube is rather small and there appears to be some stiffening
      tape inside the tube to prevent snags. Although I was somewhat
      concerned about having only a hip length zipper, I do not have
      problems getting in and out of the bag. This is true even in the
      confines of a tent. Another concern for me was that I would not be
      able to open the zipper the full length of the bag and use it as a
      quilt in warm weather. I have taken the Light Year 25 on some warm
      weather outings to see if I could still use the bag in this
      fashion. I found that if the zipper is opened fully the bag can be
      spread out just enough to allow for adequate coverage as a quilt.
      The foot end was simply draped over my feet but my upper body was
      quite well covered.

      I have used this bag in temperatures as low as 30 F (-1 C),
      typically in a tent. I rate myself as a cold sleeper and I found
      that at this temperature I would need to wear a hat and a base layer
      to stay warm. I am somewhat hesitant to bring this bag on trips
      where I believe the temperatures might drift below 30 F (-1 C).

      The bag has continuous down-filled tubes which run the entire girth
      of the bag and are separated by the bag's baffles. This allows for
      down to shift along the tube every time the bag is compressed. I
      frequently find myself having to shift the down within the tube,
      particularly around the shoulder area. Although the zipper draft
      tube has some down in it, I feel the tube itself is not large enough
      and therefore allows drafts to enter. The Light Year 25 does not
      have a draft collar and even though it closes well around the chin
      there does seem to be some movement of air through this area. The
      hood seems to fit well around my head and the draw cords are easy to
      operate, even in the middle of the night. As a result of my
      experience, I have no problem using this bag over a wide temperature
      range but I am cautious when temperatures might be sub-freezing.

      One feature of particular note is the footbox zipper. In warmer
      temperatures where I might like to have a full length zipper, I have
      found that opening the foot zipper allows for adequate ventilation.
      I have frequently used it by sticking my feet all the way out of the
      bag and find that this seems to regulate the temperature well
      enough. Only in the most humid conditions do I find that opening
      the foot zipper does not ventilate properly. It is at these times
      that I am likely to open the bag up and use it like a quilt. As
      with the main zipper, the draft tube here also seems to allow some
      drafts in. I feel the need to wear warm socks on colder night to
      prevent being awakened with cold feet.

      The shell of the bag has a Teflon coating and I have found this to
      work very well for keeping the bag from soaking through. I have
      frequently have had condensation build up in a tent and get onto the
      bag's shell but it did not appear to soak through the shell. I have
      also had the experience of having a tent leak directly on the bag
      for a couple hours during the night and find that the water had not
      soaked through. This is much better than I expected and gives me
      great comfort knowing that I am less likely to be in trouble with a
      wet down bag somewhere on the trail.

      bag for three season use. The bag is lightweight, stuffs to a small
      size, has an easy to operate zipper, a foot vent, and an excellent
      water repellent finish. The bag's temperature rating may be a
      little off and it could benefit from a bigger draft tube and draft
      collar. Overall, the Light Year 25 this bag has served me well and
      I am comfortable with it for backpacking situations where sub-
      freezing temperatures are not expected.

      Things I like:
      1. Light weight
      2. Small stuff size
      3. Water repellant finish
      4. Warm weather foot vent

      Things I don't like:
      1. Lack of draft collar
      2. Shifting down
      3. Small draft tube

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
      <r.caffin@...> wrote:

      > EDIT: Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag - Pat McNeilly
      >
      > Hi Pat
      >
      > Not too bad - you have obviously picked up a fair bit from your
      first OR. There are some small edits, detailed below,
      > but nothing major.
      >
      > Could you fix and REPOST here pls, and also put the html version
      with pics in the Test/OR folder. Include a mention of
      > the hmtl version when you repost.
      >
      > If this will be your second approved review and you have submitted
      a Tester Agreement which has been acknowledged, you
      > will be eligible to participate in the testing process by applying
      for tests. Further details may be found at
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?
      lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      > You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the tests are
      announced:
      > This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Roger Caffin
      > BGT OR Editor
      > -------------------------------
      > > Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag
      > > Owner Review
      > Comment: I prefer to put 'Owner Review' at the front of the title,
      but this is OK I think.

      > > Backpacking Background:
      > EDIT: I am horribly cruel. This is 102 words long: surely you
      could shave a few words off to get it below the magic 100?

      > > Weight 2 lb (0.9 kg) 2 lb 4 oz (1 kg)*
      > EDIT: Given the difference, maybe you could also quote a measured
      weight without the stuff sack? Weigh the stuff sack
      > empty, etc...
      >
      > > The bag is equipped with both flat and round
      > > draw cords for the hood and collar, respectively.
      > EDIT: Awkward. But perfectly OK if you remove the 'both', as it
      really is wrong here.

      > > The bag has four
      > > additional nylon loops along the side outside seam for attaching
      > > a sleeping pad.
      > EDIT: clarify? Does this mean two loops each side? Four on one
      side would be a little odd.

      > > Although I was somewhat
      > > concerned of having only a hip length zipper,
      > EDIT: 'concerned about having '
      >
      > > where I believe the temperatures might drift below 30 F (-1 C).
      The
      > > bag has continuous down-filled tubes which run the entire girth
      of
      > EDIT: change of subject at the period, so a new paragraph is
      indicated.

      > > As a result of my
      > > experience, I have no problem using this bag over a wide
      temperature
      > > range but I am cautious when temperatures might be sub-freezing.
      > Comment: this sentence is almost a repeat of a previous one. This
      is OK if you want it that way, so this is just a
      > comment.
      >
      > > Only in the most humid conditions do I find that opening
      > > the foot zipper not to ventilate properly.
      > EDIT: 'opening the foot zipper does not ventilate properly '
      >
      > > I have
      > > frequently have had condensation build up in a tent and get onto
      the
      > > bag but the down inside does not appear to be wet.
      > Edit: Awkward. Does this mean the condensation got into the bag?
      Or did you find the down dry when you got into the bag?