Re: EDIT: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight Stove.

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2 6:37 AM
      > I will address this from home tonight. Not in complete specifics, but
      > I want to get at least close to the right measurements. When I say
      > something is palm sized, I have to realize my hands are often compared
      > to bear paws... my palms are bigger than some, smaller than others.
      > Not a good measure. But if I say something is approximately 4" square,
      > that gives a better idea. So I will get tape measure and stove in hand
      > tonight.

      Thanks, David.

      > > > And I boiled it down to a Butane / Propane
      > >
      > > ### EDIT: caps not needed on chemical names, so butane/propane
      >
      > Well, that just proves they dun learnt me up real gud in that thar
      > ooniversitee. I would think that since Butane is a name that the rules
      > for a proper noun are in play, and that it should be capitalized. Same
      > with Propane.

      No, chemical names are not customarily treated as proper nouns in
      English. Only at the beginning of a sentence are they capitalized (and
      in German, as are all nouns in that language). This doesn't reflect on
      your education--unless you took a degree in chemistry, in which case,
      ask for your money back <g>.

      Best,

      Ted.
    • David H
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2 6:56 AM
        Owner Review. Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight Stove
        Review Date: February 12 2006

        • Dave Hostetler
        • 37
        • Male
        • 6' 0" (183 cm)
        • 270 lbs (122 kg)
        • Dbhost-at-mylinuxisp.com
        • League City, Texas (U.S.A.)

        My backpacking started in the scouts, and has been an important part
        of my life since my introduction to it in 1980. Living in Texas with
        an uncooperative spouse made going places to go backpacking difficult.
        Changes in that status have gotten me back on the trails. I consider
        myself a mid weight backpacker, but some definitions fluctuate. My
        base pack weight averages 19 lbs (8.62 kg). My camping experience
        includes camping from the car, canoe camping, and backpacking.

        Product information
        • Manufacturer. Coleman
        • Year of Manufacture. 2005
        • Manufacturer URL. www.coleman.com
        • Weight as claimed by manufacturer. 2.7 oz (77 g).
        • Weight as tested. 2.4 oz (68 g) including stuff sack.

        Physical Description.
        • Stove height (approx) 3.25 in (8.25 cm).
        • Stove width folded (approx) 3 in (7.6 cm).
        • Pot support span 4 in (10.1 cm).
        • Stove height assembled to recommended fuel canister. 6.5 in (16.5 cm).

        The stove is a simple screw down burner design, atop folding legs,
        atop a small valve / venturi assembly. The fuel control knob is a
        simple wire loop controlling a knob. The whole thing is made from what
        appears to be aluminum, stainless steel, brass, and plastic. Included
        is a small, nylon stuff sack with drawstring and cord lock.

        MSRP: $39.99 US

        Field information
        • Locations of testing. Crater Lake Oregon, Willamette National
        Forest Oregon, Lake Somerville Trailway Texas.
        • Elevations and brief description of testing locations. Crater Lake
        Elevation 8900 ft (2713 m). Wooded mountain, relatively challenging
        trails, never quite got warm. Willamette National Forest Elevation
        (guesstimate) 5000 ft (1524 m). Wooded mountain, mildly challenging
        trails, daytime highs in the low 90s (50 C), warm, but not humid.
        Pleasant.
        Lake Somerville Elevation Ranges 190 – 496 ft (58 m – 151 m) above
        mean sea level. Easy trails posing little to no challenge beyond muddy
        conditions, and alligators, daytime highs in the upper 90s (50 C), hot and
        humid, stove needed very little due to lack of desire for anything hot.
        • Crater Lake camping conditions overnight low below freezing, light
        snow. Willamette National Forest camping conditions overnight lows
        low 50s (10.0 C) clear skies. Lake Somerville camping conditions.
        Overnight lows in the low 70s (21.11 C), overcast, humid.

        • Review of the Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight

        After years of swearing I would never use another stove in favor of
        my old MSR Whisperlite, my aging back won out the argument of whether
        buy lighter gear or not. While the Whisperlite is far from a heavy
        stove, and it has some notable advantages over the canister stoves, I
        chose a canister stove in order to lighten my load, and improve the
        ability to simmer. I read all the reviews I could find, borrowed as
        many stoves as I could, and annoyed the sales staff at all the
        backpacking shops to get information on the various models of stoves.
        And I boiled it down to a Butane / Propane mix burning canister stove.
        But the question was which one?

        Well since I was going for light weight, the lightest advertised
        weight I could find was the Coleman Exponent F1 Ultralight. That is at
        least for a stove that had a controllable, adjustable flame (soda can
        stoves are lighter). The stove's advertised 2.7 oz is feather light.
        There were a fair number of worthy competitors in this market niche,
        all offering light weight, low price, and good performance, however
        the Coleman won out on the factor of weight alone. The Exponent F1
        Ultralight was simply the lightest model I could find.

        I was pleasantly surprised at the fact that the actual delivered
        product weighed less than advertised. In backpacking gear this is
        rarely the case.

        In my efforts stove reviewing efforts, I "test fitted" pots to
        various stoves, and found no issues with the Coleman not supporting
        pots, or being wobbly with most pots. However there are some pot
        designs that have a recessed bottom that don't fit this stove
        particularly well. Test fitting the pot a user may either have, or
        will buy,
        to the stove is important for insuring pot / stove stability.

        Setting the stove up for its initial trial run prior to taking it
        out on the trail at home, I set it up on the back deck, and boiled a
        quart (.95 l) of water in my old American Camper backpackers Stainless
        1L cook
        pot. Time to boil, while not measured did seem quite rapid.

        Setting the stove up is somewhat awkward the first time it is done.
        The burner head has to be backed off 1 to 2 turns before the pot
        supports can be rotated into position. Once the pot supports are in
        place, the burner head is then tightened down to hold the pot supports
        in place. With the stove assembled, but not on the fuel cylinder, both
        the fuel cylinder, and stove connection should be inspected for debris
        or damage to insure safety. Screw the stove to the cylinder snugly,
        set the assembly down, strike a match, and turn the gas on, and the
        stove comes to life.
        One item this stove does lack, that impacts its usability is a
        piezo igniter. This can be a positive or a negative. Matches, or a
        lighter must be carried to ignite the gas. And there is no added
        weight, or added complexity or point of failure of the piezo igniter.

        The setup was fast and simple. As was the boil time. I honestly
        think the time to boil a liter of water was identical to the white gas
        stove. There was no pre-heating, pumping, or complicated assembly
        involved. During testing, some cold weather startup issues were noted
        as the temperatures dropped below the freezing point, and the winds
        picked up. This behavior was easily overcome by simply turning up the
        control valve a little further than usual.

        Cold temperatures did not seem to impact the way the stove worked, but
        the breeze / wind definitely had an impact on this stove, and made it
        painfully obvious that it had no wind screen.

        What I liked.
        1. Light weight. This is the lightest canister stove I have come
        across yet.
        2. Low Cost.
        3. Ease of use.
        4. Ability to go from extremely low simmer to flamethrower.
        5. Quality of construction. This thing is built really well for
        something so tiny and light.
        6. Pot stability with wider pots than competing stoves due to a
        wider support footprint.
        7. Exceptionally easy to set up and get working in mild to hot
        weather.

        What I disliked.
        1. The finish quickly oxidized after the first use. By the time I
        got back from Oregon, there was a coat of dull aluminum rust on what
        had been polished aluminum. Sealing the surface of the product would
        be a good quality control improvement. However this is a functional
        object, not an art object… No biggie.
        2. I alluded to this earlier, the pot rests are just the wrong size
        for certain pot designs. It is important to match your cook pot to
        your stove pot supports.
        3. Less than obvious setup procedure. Once you do it, it is
        obvious, but the instruction sheet leaves you scratching your head.
        4. Lack of windscreen. I am not sure how they could make a
        windscreen for this without taking a chance at overheating and blowing
        up a cylinder, but I bet it could be done. And without adding much weight.

        Summary-
        The stove worked exceptionally well in all conditions except sub
        freezing and windy, and even at that a bit of fussing made it roar to
        life. Fuel cylinders are not readily available in the Houston Texas
        area, and have only been seen by me, or reported to me as being
        available at Oshman's, REI, and several area Walmarts. I have never
        seen them at Gander Mountain, but have been told the canisters are
        available there. I have had it reported to me that fuel is much more
        common outside of TX. I did see the fuel cylinders just about
        everywhere I looked when I was in Oregon, campground stores, gas
        stations, discount stores etc… The poor cold weather ignition
        performance of this stove I do not believe was indicative of a flaw
        with this stove, but rather canister stoves in general. I will not be
        parting ways with my trusty old Whisperlite for trips up north during
        cooler times of year, however I look forward to years of enjoyment of
        this stove at lower elevations and warmer temps. This is the stove I
        wish I had owned in Arizona!

        **** Response in comments to editor****
        I feel that the mention / discussion of fuel availability is important
        for those of us that live outside of the hotspots for backpacking. Up
        until about 6 months ago I had a VERY difficult time finding canisters
        for this stove anywhere, and to be honest I had to drive an hour and a
        half through Houston to get to the closest REI to buy a fuel canister,
        and it was not the Coleman "official" but rather a Primus Powergas
        450g fuel canister. It fit, it lit, so I went with it… I feel leaving
        discussion of fuel availability out would be doing a disservice to
        readers, therefore I request that this part be left in. Likewise the
        cold weather performance issues might not be something that
        southerners are particularly aware of, and something they should know
        about in regards to a purchase / usage decision, especially if they
        want to head out west where they can gain some elevation and loose
        some temperature. I feel this is another important part of the review.
        Photos will be taken this weekend (once I recharge my camera's
        batteries). Where shall I upload them?

        Thank you.
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2 7:19 AM
          Thanks Dave,

          One missed edit (it happens--no problem).

          • Crater Lake camping conditions overnight low below freezing, light
          > snow. Willamette National Forest camping conditions overnight lows
          > low 50s (10.0 C) clear skies. Lake Somerville camping conditions.
          > Overnight lows in the low 70s (21.11 C), overcast, humid.

          ### EDIT: should be (10 C) and (21 C) respectively, to avoid the
          appearance of excessive accuracy as a result of conversion.

          This all looks good. Please upload the HTML (as per the instructions
          in the last edit) at your convenience, and (assuming all looks well
          there) I'll give you approval for upload.

          Best,

          Ted.
        • David H
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2 10:57 AM
            Ted,

            I have the HTML of this, but not sure where to upload this to, or how...

[...]

            humid. Lake Somerville Elevation Ranges 190 – 496 ft (58 m – 151 m)
            above mean sea level. Easy trails posing little to no challenge beyond
            muddy conditions, and alligators, daytime highs in the upper 90s (50
            C), hot and humid, stove needed very little due to lack of desire for
            anything hot.
            • Crater Lake camping conditions overnight low below freezing,
            light snow. Willamette National Forest camping conditions overnight
            lows low 50s (10 C) clear skies. Lake Somerville camping conditions.
            Overnight lows in the low 70s (21 C), overcast, humid.

[...]

            size for certain pot designs. It is important to match the cook pot to
            the stove pot supports.
            3. Less than obvious setup procedure. Once the user sets it up,
            it is obvious, but the instruction sheet leaves a good deal to be desired.

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2 12:06 PM
              David,

              Go to the BGT website,

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/

              If you have previously registered, log-in. If you have not, then
              register (top two links in menu on left).

              Go to

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

              This is "Owner Reviews" if you are browsing the category menu after
              log-in.

              Click "Upload File" in top yellow bar.

              Follow the directions from there (clicking the "Browse" button will
              let you indicate the path to your HTM or HTML file).

              BTW, final upload after approval is by exactly the same process,
              except that you need to click the "Owner Review" button to indicate
              the type of upload.

              Please let me know on this list when this is up, and I'll look it over.

              Ted.
            • edwardripleyduggan
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 3 8:34 AM
                Hi Dave,

                You are in good shape on the HTML, except that the Coleman link needs
                to be made clickable (to the URL indicated in your text, please, not
                the redirect to home.asp that the Coleman site defaults to--we always
                link to the main page, as redirects can change). Once you have done
                that, you may upload to

                http://tinyurl.com/rf9xt

                Don't forget to mark the "Owner Review" radio button.

                Pleasant working with you. I look forward to seeing your next OR.

                Best

                Ted
              • edwardripleyduggan
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3 9:00 AM
                  Dave--not a big deal, but propane and butane are still capitalized in
                  the HTML. Truly, these are don't need capitalizing. It doesn't
                  interfere with your meaning, and if you are more comfortable with them
                  that way, that's ultimately OK by me. However, it is, strictly
                  speaking, incorrect. If they were trade names, that would be a
                  different story, e.g. Velcro, Flagyl (to take two at random) but
                  chemical names are no different from any other noun in taking lower
                  case when in the body of a sentence.

                  Ted.
                • David H
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6 7:53 AM
                    Ted,

                    The changes you asked for have been included in the HTML, and the new
                    file has been uploaded. Photos are pending a trip this upcoming
                    weekend. (I want to photograph it in use).

                    <erd@...> wrote:

                    > Dave--not a big deal, but propane and butane are still capitalized in
                    > the HTML. Truly, these are don't need capitalizing. It doesn't
                    > interfere with your meaning, and if you are more comfortable with them
                    > that way, that's ultimately OK by me. However, it is, strictly
                    > speaking, incorrect. If they were trade names, that would be a
                    > different story, e.g. Velcro, Flagyl (to take two at random) but
                    > chemical names are no different from any other noun in taking lower
                    > case when in the body of a sentence.
                    >
                    > Ted.

                  • edwardripleyduggan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6 10:27 AM
                      Great! Upload as indicated when ready. Test your layout with the
                      images in the test folder first. Images should not exceed (at the
                      outside) 600 px; 450 px is better, IMHO.

                      Best,

                      Ted.