EDIT: Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag - Pat McNeilly

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
      EDIT: Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag - Pat McNeilly

      Hi Pat

      Not too bad - you have obviously picked up a fair bit from your first OR. There are some small edits, detailed below,
      but nothing major.

      Could you fix and REPOST here pls, and also put the html version with pics in the Test/OR folder. Include a mention of
      the hmtl version when you repost.

      If this will be your second approved review and you have submitted a Tester Agreement which has been acknowledged, you
      will be eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further details may be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

      You will also need to join the Yahoo group where the tests are announced:
      This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR Editor
      -------------------------------
      > Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag
      > Owner Review
      Comment: I prefer to put 'Owner Review' at the front of the title, but this is OK I think.

      > Backpacking Background:
      EDIT: I am horribly cruel. This is 102 words long: surely you could shave a few words off to get it below the magic 100?

      > Weight 2 lb (0.9 kg) 2 lb 4 oz (1 kg)*
      EDIT: Given the difference, maybe you could also quote a measured weight without the stuff sack? Weigh the stuff sack
      empty, etc...

      > The bag is equipped with both flat and round
      > draw cords for the hood and collar, respectively.
      EDIT: Awkward. But perfectly OK if you remove the 'both', as it really is wrong here.

      > The bag has four
      > additional nylon loops along the side outside seam for attaching to
      > a sleeping pad.
      EDIT: clarify? Does this mean two loops each side? Four on one side would be a little odd.

      > Although I was somewhat
      > concerned of having only a hip length zipper,
      EDIT: 'concerned about having '

      > where I believe the temperatures might drift below 30 F (-1 C). The
      > bag has continuous down-filled tubes which run the entire girth of
      EDIT: change of subject at the period, so a new paragraph is indicated.

      > As a result of my
      > experience, I have no problem using this bag over a wide temperature
      > range but I am cautious when temperatures might be sub-freezing.
      Comment: this sentence is almost a repeat of a previous one. This is OK if you want it that way, so this is just a
      comment.

      > Only in the most humid conditions do I find that opening
      > the foot zipper not to ventilate properly.
      EDIT: 'opening the foot zipper does not ventilate properly '

      > I have
      > frequently have had condensation build up in a tent and get onto the
      > bag but the down inside does not appear to be wet.
      Edit: Awkward. Does this mean the condensation got into the bag? Or did you find the down dry when you got into the bag?

      > The bag' temperature rating may be a little
      EDIT: do you mean "the bag's temperature ..."? with an 's'

      > I can
      > recommend it for backpacking situations where sub-freezing
      > temperatures are not expected.
      EDIT: please, no recommendations. You don't know what the reader wants. Keep it first person.
    • mcne4752
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
        Hi Roger,

        Thanks for the edits. I think I have addressed all of them. I have
        uploaded an html version to the Test/OR folder. I have not included
        pictures since I have still having trouble incorporating them
        properly (I'm new to html). I am interested in any other comment
        you might have.

        Thanks again

        Pat McNeilly

        Owner Review

        Kelty Light Year 25 Down Sleeping Bag
        Review Date: February 18, 2006
        Name: Pat McNeilly
        Age: 43
        Gender: Male
        Height: 5' 8" (1.7 m)
        Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
        Email address: pmcneilly@...
        City, State, Country: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

        Backpacking Background: I have been hiking for at least 20 years
        but backpacking for only the last three years. Most of my
        backpacking is done as overnight trips and occasional weekend and
        weeklong trips. My typical packweight is approximately 18 to 20 lb
        (8 to 9 kg) before food or water. Most of my backpacking is the
        three season variety in the mountains of Maryland, Virginia, and
        West Virginia. In addition to backpacking, I also fish, hunt, and
        have been involved in disaster relief. As a result, some of my
        backpacking equipment gets use in a number of different venues.

        Product Information

        Product: Light Year 25
        Size: Regular
        Manufacturer: Kelty
        Year of Manufacture: 2004
        Fill: 650-fill down
        Fill weight: 15 oz (0.4 kg)
        Temperature rating: 25 F (-4 C)
        MSRP: $129.95 US

        As listed As measured
        Weight 2 lb (0.9 kg) 2 lb 4 oz (1 kg)*
        Length 80 in (203 cm) 79 in (201 cm)
        Girth 62 in (157 cm) 62 in (157 cm)**
        Stuff sack 1.5 oz (42 g)
        * Compressed in stuff sack
        ** Measured along the longest inside seam

        Product Description:
        The Light Year 25 is a lightweight 650-fill down sleeping bag. The
        top of the bag is golden yellow, while the underside is charcoal
        grey in color. The outer shell of the bag is made of 100% "diamond
        ripstop" nylon which the manufacturer indicates is treated with a
        Dupont Teflon finish for moisture protection. The lining of the bag
        consists of a black 100% polyester material. The side two-way
        zipper is hip length, measures 39 in (99 cm) in length, and is
        covered by a 1.5 in (4 cm) down filled draft tube. At the top of
        the zipper is a 2 in x 2 in (5 cm x 5 cm) velcro tag to keep the
        zipper from inadvertently opening. The foot section of the bag is
        fitted with a 13 in (33 cm) zipper to allow for ventilation in warm
        weather. The foot zipper is also backed by a 1.5 in (4 cm) down
        filled draft tube. The bag is equipped with flat and round draw
        cords for the hood and collar, respectively. Attached to the
        outside are four loops with small snaps which allow the bag to be
        used as a liner inside another bag during cold temperatures. In
        addition, there are four loops on the inside for attaching a bag
        liner to the Light Year 25. On either side of the foot section are
        two nylon loops for hanging the bag for drying. The bag has two
        additional nylon loops on each side along the outside seam for
        attaching to a sleeping pad. The Light Year 25 also comes with a 7
        in x 12 in (18 cm x 30 cm) stuff sack and a cotton storage sack.

        Field Conditions:
        I have slept in this bag approximately 12 to 15 times, primarily on
        trips in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. I primarily
        used the Light Year 25 only on trips during the spring, summer and
        fall. This bag did not get backpacking use during the winter
        season. The elevation on these trips varied from sea level to 4000
        ft (0 to 1200 m). The nighttime temperatures I encountered on
        these trips ranged anywhere from 30 F to 70 F (-1 C to 21 C). I
        have had to deal with humid weather and showers but never with
        severe rainstorms with this bag.

        Product Review:
        I purchased the Light Year 25 about 15 months ago in an effort to
        move toward a lighter pack weight for my three season backpacking.
        The light weight and small stuff size were very attractive
        features. The bag certainly lives up to those initial
        expectations. The bag is much lighter than other synthetic bags I
        owned and fits relatively easily into the factory stuff sack.

        The bag is quite roomy and I don't have any problems moving around
        while inside. The side zipper runs along ground level and I do
        sometimes have trouble getting hold of and maneuvering it while in
        the bag. The zipper is smooth and I have never had problems with it
        binding in the draft tube. This may be due to the fact that the
        draft tube is rather small and there appears to be some stiffening
        tape inside the tube to prevent snags. Although I was somewhat
        concerned about having only a hip length zipper, I do not have
        problems getting in and out of the bag. This is true even in the
        confines of a tent. Another concern for me was that I would not be
        able to open the zipper the full length of the bag and use it as a
        quilt in warm weather. I have taken the Light Year 25 on some warm
        weather outings to see if I could still use the bag in this
        fashion. I found that if the zipper is opened fully the bag can be
        spread out just enough to allow for adequate coverage as a quilt.
        The foot end was simply draped over my feet but my upper body was
        quite well covered.

        I have used this bag in temperatures as low as 30 F (-1 C),
        typically in a tent. I rate myself as a cold sleeper and I found
        that at this temperature I would need to wear a hat and a base layer
        to stay warm. I am somewhat hesitant to bring this bag on trips
        where I believe the temperatures might drift below 30 F (-1 C).

        The bag has continuous down-filled tubes which run the entire girth
        of the bag and are separated by the bag's baffles. This allows for
        down to shift along the tube every time the bag is compressed. I
        frequently find myself having to shift the down within the tube,
        particularly around the shoulder area. Although the zipper draft
        tube has some down in it, I feel the tube itself is not large enough
        and therefore allows drafts to enter. The Light Year 25 does not
        have a draft collar and even though it closes well around the chin
        there does seem to be some movement of air through this area. The
        hood seems to fit well around my head and the draw cords are easy to
        operate, even in the middle of the night. As a result of my
        experience, I have no problem using this bag over a wide temperature
        range but I am cautious when temperatures might be sub-freezing.

        One feature of particular note is the footbox zipper. In warmer
        temperatures where I might like to have a full length zipper, I have
        found that opening the foot zipper allows for adequate ventilation.
        I have frequently used it by sticking my feet all the way out of the
        bag and find that this seems to regulate the temperature well
        enough. Only in the most humid conditions do I find that opening
        the foot zipper does not ventilate properly. It is at these times
        that I am likely to open the bag up and use it like a quilt. As
        with the main zipper, the draft tube here also seems to allow some
        drafts in. I feel the need to wear warm socks on colder night to
        prevent being awakened with cold feet.

        The shell of the bag has a Teflon coating and I have found this to
        work very well for keeping the bag from soaking through. I have
        frequently have had condensation build up in a tent and get onto the
        bag's shell but it did not appear to soak through the shell. I have
        also had the experience of having a tent leak directly on the bag
        for a couple hours during the night and find that the water had not
        soaked through. This is much better than I expected and gives me
        great comfort knowing that I am less likely to be in trouble with a
        wet down bag somewhere on the trail.

        bag for three season use. The bag is lightweight, stuffs to a small
        size, has an easy to operate zipper, a foot vent, and an excellent
        water repellent finish. The bag's temperature rating may be a
        little off and it could benefit from a bigger draft tube and draft
        collar. Overall, the Light Year 25 this bag has served me well and
        I am comfortable with it for backpacking situations where sub-
        freezing temperatures are not expected.

        Things I like:
        1. Light weight
        2. Small stuff size