APPROVAL/EDIT: REVISED: OR - Leatherman Micra - amytys

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hello Andy,

      Thanks for the careful OR. Edits follow, and are few. However, one
      significant omission is a description of the environments in which you
      have used the Micra. It's neither here under a separate heading nor is
      it interpolated into the review proper. Please fix this, correct where
      indicated, and upload to

      http://tinyurl.com/g2yp4

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR Editor

      > Product Information:
      >
      > Manufacturer: Leatherman (http://www.leatherman.com)
      > Item: Micra Multitool
      > Year of Manufacture: 2000
      > MSRP: $19.95

      ### EDIT: MSRP $19.95 US

      > Length Closed: 2.5 inches (6.35 cm)
      > Listed Weight: 1.75 oz (50 gm)
      > Weight as Delivered: 1.8 oz (51 gm)
      > Base Colors: brushed stainless
      > Additional Colors: brushed stainless, red, blue, green, black

      ### EDIT: as you have brushed stainless as a base color, it shouldn't
      be in the "additional" list as well, no?

      I reach for the Micra when going on winter
      > trips and when out on longer group trips, as the Micra is a great
      > tool to have around while fixing people's feet.

      ### EDIT: God, I hate amateur podiatry! Seriously, I assume you mean
      for adjusting crampons and fixing snowshoes (what I use my heavier
      Leatherman for)? You might want to clarify this before they get you
      for practicing medicine without a license. <g> Though, on reading
      further, maybe you do mean tootsies (shudder).

      > I would not purchase it in any of the additional colors, however, as
      > the colors are just applied over the brushed stainless finish. The
      > color on my knife started to scratch off as soon as I took it out of
      > the package and today, while the instruments themselves are fully
      > functional, the tool is distressed in its cosmetic appearance. I've
      > also seen the "Colors" version of the knife sold next to the brushed
      > steel model at a $5 premium - what a sham.

      ### EDIT: This last sentence should be dropped. It is editorializing.

    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@...>
        wrote:

        > I reach for the Micra when going on winter
        > > trips and when out on longer group trips, as the Micra is a great
        > > tool to have around while fixing people's feet.
        >
        > ### EDIT: God, I hate amateur podiatry! Seriously, I assume you mean
        > for adjusting crampons and fixing snowshoes (what I use my heavier
        > Leatherman for)? You might want to clarify this before they get you
        > for practicing medicine without a license. <g> Though, on reading
        > further, maybe you do mean tootsies (shudder).

        No, I really meant fixing peoples feet. As I mentioned in the report,
        I found the scissors to be a great tool in cutting the skin around
        blisters with. Toenails can be squared off too, and calluses can be
        clipped down.
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
          Hey, go with it, Andy. Upload if you are ready.

          Kidding apart, I once got through a thru-hike of some length (150
          miles), for which I'd very foolishly selected some truly excruciating
          boots, all by judicious use of my (sterilized) knife.
          .