OWNER REVIEW-MOUNTAIN HARDWEAR CONFLUENCE PARKA

  • withwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006
      Mountain Hardwear Confluence Parka

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Jeff McLaughlin
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'10" (1.56 Meters)
      Weight: 178 Pounds (81 Kilograms)
      Email address: jeffm@...
      City, State, Country: Apopka, FL US.
      Date: February 19, 2002
      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in the past year and
      have been working towards traveling as light as possible. I
      normally hike in areas that are full of running hills or lower
      elevation mountains, generally with a lot of leaf or sand cover. I
      would consider myself a 3 season hiker, seldom encountering snow.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear
      Year of Manufacture: Fall 2005
      Listed weight: 2 Pounds 1 Ounces (.95 Kilograms)
      Size: Men's M (39-41)
      MSRP: $230
      • Ascent Nylon with Conduit™ laminated membrane provides a
      soft feel with rugged strength, while staying light weight,
      waterproof and breathable.
      • Nylon Dobby Weave reinforcements for added protection.
      • Coolmax® Mesh with Taffeta lining in sleeves for added
      comfort.
      • Zip in compatible with compatible jackets
      • One handed hood, waist, and hem drawcords.
      • Welded, water resistant pit zips.
      • Powder skirt, and elasticized draw cord at waist.
      • Zip off hood
      • Welded fleece lined hand pockets with water resistant zips.
      • Two welded chest pockets with water resistant zips.
      • Double flapped front zipper closure.
      • Interior water bottle pocket and zip security pocket.
      • Laser cut, welded zip construction

      A very versatile weatherproof parka, that is virtually
      indestructible, reinforced in critical areas with Nylon Dobby Weave
      fabric. The Confluence parka offers the option of zipping in
      compatible fleece jackets for those who prefer the convenience of
      putting on a single layer at times. Great for snow sports, cold
      weather backpacking, mountaineering.
      I began using the Confluence Parka roughly 4 months ago out of
      frustration with other layering systems I'd tried. As mentioned in
      my bio, I backpack light, which often times isn't conducive to a
      heavier nylon parka. Prior to using the Confluence parka, my
      primary cold weather protection came in the form of a Mountain
      Hardwear Chugach jacket with Polarguard insulation. Similar to
      down, Polarguard differs in that it does not shift inside of the
      seams as down often will. I began using the Confluence because of
      the expectation that the Chugach would simply not hold up in the
      conditions I planned to backpack in (the Confluence shell is made of
      a nice durable nylon, while the Chugach has a much thinner rip-stop
      nylon). Since making the change I have been on many trips in the
      southeast and have been extremely pleased with the parka.
      Although the Confluence has the capability of zipping in a
      compatible fleece, I prefer to use a performance base-layer like an
      Icebreaker Tech Top (Merino Wool), which is lighter than fleece but
      performs (in my opinion) much better. The beauty of the Confluence
      is that a combination like this will keep you very warm, even in 10-
      20 degree weather! It is nice to know that if down the line I chose
      to zip something in there is the freedom to do that…an advantage the
      Confluence brings over other comparable Mountain Hardwear parkas,
      such as the Exposure II. I haven't explored this option, but I
      wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the Columbia Sportswear
      fleeces are zip-in compatible as well, given that Mountain Hardwear
      is ultimately owned by Columbia. All that to say, this thing does a
      great job of maintaining warmth.
      As mentioned before I have taken this jacket all over the southeast
      and I should also add that as a minimalist, it's now the only outer
      layer that I own, which means it gets it's wear! Trips aside, I
      have worn this jacket most of the winter (on a daily basis) but
      you'd never know it. I've washed it several times without
      consequence and I've been extremely impressed with the durability of
      the fabric and the zippers. It's been poked hard by very sharp tree
      limbs and branches, brushed up hard against rocky terrain (including
      caving), weathered heavy thunder storms (it claims to be waterproof
      and I'm sold—I'll vouch for that!) and has survived all the
      stretching, pulling, tugging and washing I have thrown at it. I
      would even go as far to say that I've tried to find fault with the
      toughness of this jacket and have really gone out of my way to try
      and prove it "unworthy". Each time it has shown itself to be
      everything it claimed to be: "indestructible". Now, is it the best
      out there? Probably not; but I found mine for around $180 on a
      sale. I would have spent twice that on a parka with Gore-Tex and
      for my lifestyle and preferences I seriously doubt I'd ever see the
      difference. I'd rather spend that extra money on other gear…maybe
      I'm the only one who's figured that out!
      A little advice on fit…Mountain Hardwear is funny sometimes with
      their fit. I fit into a men's size medium when it comes to their
      shells, but some of the base layers and active wear are actually too
      small in that same size. All that to say, don't rely necessarily on
      the sizing charts they publish; if you're planning to buy online
      somewhere, find a retail store and try on everything you're thinking
      about buying!

      Summary
      The Confluence is an excellent parka extremely durable and built to
      last. Mountain Hardwear really spent some time in the design
      process of the jacket and it shows. They've done a great job using
      high-end fabrics and materials without passing on an unreasonably
      high cost to the customer. Spending more would get you a parka
      featuring Gore-Tex waterproofing and fabric, but I was very pleased
      with the proprietary Conduit fabric that Mountain Hardwear uses.
      Couple that with the lifetime warranty against defects and I feel
      confident that this is a parka I will use for years to come.
      Things I like:
      1. Extremely durable.
      2. Very nice fit.
      3. Removable hood (for fall and spring use).
      4. Zip-in compatibility with Mountain Hardwear softshells.

      Things I don't like:
      1. I am not a big fan of powder skirts. I understand their purpose
      but I generally find that on a lot of parkas they get in the way.
      The Confluence is no exception. I have become accustomed to it, but
      thought it was worth mentioning.
      2. Use of Velcro on the double flap front zip. It probably
      functions better than buttons would, but I generally prefer button
      to parkas.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hello Jeff,

          This is a fairly presentable first OR, but (as you will see from the
          edits) it falls short of what we need in certain regards. I'd like to
          suggest that you consider a BGT mentor. Please contact
          jennifer.pope@..., with "Mentor Request" in the subject line,
          and ask her to secure you some mentoring assistance. I can work with
          you via the edit process, but my concern is that you will find it
          frustrating. There's certainly a second round of lesser edits needed
          here. Still, if you decide not to go with a mentor, resubmit to this
          list with "REPOST" substituted for "EDIT" in the subject line.

          I'd like to point you to the BGT converter, if you haven't found it.
          It's at

          http://tinyurl.com/5s4xe

          Please look at the footnotes to this page carefully; they are very
          useful for getting metric units correct.

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Mountain Hardwear Confluence Parka

          Heading should read:

          Owner Review. Mountain Hardwear Confluence Parka.

          February 19, 2002

          > Reviewer Information
          > Name: Jeff McLaughlin
          > Age: 24
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5'10" (1.56 Meters)

          ### EDIT: for uniformity, units should be abbreviated. In this case,
          (1.56 m)

          > Weight: 178 Pounds (81 Kilograms)

          ### EDIT: 178 lb (81 kg)

          > Email address: jeffm@...
          > City, State, Country: Apopka, FL US.
          > Date: February 19, 2002

          ### EDIT: Date can be removed from here, as it is now at the top

          > Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in the past year and
          > have been working towards traveling as light as possible. I
          > normally hike in areas that are full of running hills or lower
          > elevation mountains, generally with a lot of leaf or sand cover. I
          > would consider myself a 3 season hiker, seldom encountering snow.

          ### EDIT: three-season

          Helpful here would be an idea of your average load, as "as light as
          possible" is open to variable interpretation.

          > Product Information
          >
          > Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear
          > Year of Manufacture: Fall 2005
          > Listed weight: 2 Pounds 1 Ounces (.95 Kilograms)

          ### EDIT: abbreviate units, please

          > Size: Men's M (39-41)
          > MSRP: $230
          > • Ascent Nylon with Conduit™ laminated membrane provides a
          > soft feel with rugged strength, while staying light weight,
          > waterproof and breathable.
          > • Nylon Dobby Weave reinforcements for added protection.
          > • Coolmax® Mesh with Taffeta lining in sleeves for added
          > comfort.
          > • Zip in compatible with compatible jackets
          > • One handed hood, waist, and hem drawcords.
          > • Welded, water resistant pit zips.
          > • Powder skirt, and elasticized draw cord at waist.
          > • Zip off hood
          > • Welded fleece lined hand pockets with water resistant zips.
          > • Two welded chest pockets with water resistant zips.
          > • Double flapped front zipper closure.
          > • Interior water bottle pocket and zip security pocket.
          > • Laser cut, welded zip construction

          ### EDIT: While it's OK to quote manufacturer claims and descriptions,
          which I'm assuming is what the above section comprises, we really need
          an "in your own words" description of the garment. Any of the
          manufacturer claims should be evaluated in the body of the review
          (e.g. are the zips water resistant, the drawcords indeed capable of
          being used with one hand)? The functionality of any features should
          also be touched upon, where possible (obviously, if you have not used
          the powder skirt, for example, you can't comment on whether it works
          well). This section doesn't need to be hugely technical, or overly
          detailed, but it should aptly summarize the item's construction, etc.
          If feasible, a photo is often handy to help reinforce the description.

          ### EDIT: Also lacking here is a section describing the conditions
          under which you have used the parka. Temperatures (with Centigrade
          conversions), elevations (with conversions), terrain, weather. It's
          hard for a reader whether your use coincides with their own, and
          therefore if your review is useful to them, without this very critical
          information. Call it "Field conditions" or something of the kind.

          > A very versatile weatherproof parka, that is virtually
          > indestructible, reinforced in critical areas with Nylon Dobby Weave
          > fabric. The Confluence parka offers the option of zipping in
          > compatible fleece jackets for those who prefer the convenience of
          > putting on a single layer at times. Great for snow sports, cold
          > weather backpacking, mountaineering.

          ### EDIT: This is partly a question. The text above reads a little bit
          like the manufacturer's. If it is, please put this in your own words.
          If it isn't a quote, could you rewrite it so these are full sentences,
          please?

          > I began using the Confluence Parka roughly 4 months ago out of
          > frustration with other layering systems I'd tried. As mentioned in
          > my bio, I backpack light, which often times isn't conducive to a
          > heavier nylon parka. Prior to using the Confluence parka, my
          > primary cold weather protection came in the form of a Mountain
          > Hardwear Chugach jacket with Polarguard insulation. Similar to
          > down, Polarguard differs in that it does not shift inside of the
          > seams as down often will. I began using the Confluence because of
          > the expectation that the Chugach would simply not hold up in the
          > conditions I planned to backpack in (the Confluence shell is made of
          > a nice durable nylon, while the Chugach has a much thinner rip-stop
          > nylon). Since making the change I have been on many trips in the
          > southeast and have been extremely pleased with the parka.
          > Although the Confluence has the capability of zipping in a
          > compatible fleece, I prefer to use a performance base-layer like an
          > Icebreaker Tech Top (Merino Wool), which is lighter than fleece but
          > performs (in my opinion) much better. The beauty of the Confluence
          > is that a combination like this will keep you very warm, even in 10-
          > 20 degree weather!

          ### EDIT: Conversions needed here (Centigrade)

          It is nice to know that if down the line I chose
          > to zip something in there is the freedom to do that…an advantage the
          > Confluence brings over other comparable Mountain Hardwear parkas,
          > such as the Exposure II. I haven't explored this option, but I
          > wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the Columbia Sportswear
          > fleeces are zip-in compatible as well, given that Mountain Hardwear
          > is ultimately owned by Columbia.

          ### EDIT: Two issues here. The second sentence above is largely
          conjecture. I would also, since you aren't reviewing the Exposure II
          here, like you to drop the balance of the first sentence after the ...

          All that to say, this thing does a
          > great job of maintaining warmth.
          > As mentioned before I have taken this jacket all over the southeast
          > and I should also add that as a minimalist, it's now the only outer
          > layer that I own, which means it gets it's

          ### EDIT: its

          wear! Trips aside, I
          > have worn this jacket most of the winter (on a daily basis) but
          > you'd never know it. I've washed it several times without
          > consequence and I've been extremely impressed with the durability of
          > the fabric and the zippers. It's been poked hard by very sharp tree
          > limbs and branches, brushed up hard against rocky terrain (including
          > caving), weathered heavy thunder storms (it claims to be waterproof
          > and I'm sold—I'll vouch for that!) and has survived all the
          > stretching, pulling, tugging and washing I have thrown at it. I
          > would even go as far to say that I've tried to find fault with the
          > toughness of this jacket and have really gone out of my way to try
          > and prove it "unworthy". Each time it has shown itself to be
          > everything it claimed to be: "indestructible". Now, is it the best
          > out there? Probably not; but I found mine for around $180 on a
          > sale. I would have spent twice that on a parka with Gore-Tex and
          > for my lifestyle and preferences I seriously doubt I'd ever see the
          > difference. I'd rather spend that extra money on other gear…maybe
          > I'm the only one who's figured that out!

          ### EDIT: "Now, is it the best..." to the end of this paragraph
          doesn't really add information to the review, and should be omitted.
          Retail or "street" price is so wildly variable (as you found) we use
          only the MSRP in the introduction. It's about the gear, not the price.
          You could certainly say that you feel this comparable to a Gore-Tex
          parka and that it is a more economical option, though... That's a fair
          and useful statement.

          > A little advice on fit…

          ### EDIT Omit this

          Mountain Hardwear is funny sometimes with
          > their fit. I fit into a men's size medium when it comes to their
          > shells, but some of the base layers and active wear are actually too
          > small in that same size. All that to say, don't rely necessarily on
          > the sizing charts they publish; if you're planning to buy online
          > somewhere, find a retail store and try on everything you're thinking
          > about buying!

          ### EDIT: Please change this to first person (I, me, mine). We want an
          account of *your* experience, not an extrapolation of what someone
          else may experience with Mountain Hardwear's sizing.

          > Summary
          > The Confluence is an excellent parka extremely durable and built to
          > last. Mountain Hardwear really spent some time in the design
          > process of the jacket and it shows. They've done a great job using
          > high-end fabrics and materials without passing on an unreasonably
          > high cost to the customer. Spending more would get you

          ### EDIT: lose the "you," please