Light Weight Crampons

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2001

      From: Jerry
      Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 7:08 PM
      Subject: Light Weight Crampons

      I was offered 5 pairs of Kahtoola light weight, flexible, collapsible crampons that fit trail shoes, light boots and winter boots. I am interested in at least 2 people that are doing the Sierra portion of the PCT this year to be included in the reviews. You keep the crampons at the end of the test IF YOU COMPLETE ALL THREE REPORTS AS REQUIRED. I CAN'T OVER STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF COMPLETING THE REPORTS AS REQUIRED! Check them out at www.kahtoola.com .The first production run is sold out but I whined and begged and pleaded and got a commitment for the 5 by April 1, 2001 which was the best I could do. We'll be testing and reviewing them on BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com .
      I made contact with a number of manufacturers and got gear commitments. Another one I found interesting Lowe. They were very receptive about their entire line. We will be testing multiple items from them. Leki was also impressed. I'm still going through all of it so I'll post to BPGT was I get it sorted out. Some of the gear, like the Exchanger Masks I got, are time sensitive. I got 5 of those also. I'm going to rejoin AT-L and post to it too. We need as many listers as we can get and QUALITY, COMPLETE, TIMELY REVIEWS. Stay tuned. You're not going to believe some of the gear we get to test.....=o). I even found stuff for Monty and the HD crowd!
      Jerry

    • Mara Factor
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2001
        Hi Jerry,

        Is the April 1 date you mention for the Kahtoola's, the date we could expect
        to have them in hand? I am interested in participating but at that late
        date, I would expect to have to test them in the White Mountains of New
        Hampshire where conditions could be a bit unreliable. Much later and it's
        possible to miss out altogether. I would always be able to seek out pockets
        of spring ice and snow to play in for limited testing but more lengthy day
        hikes in the crampons might not be possible.

        Too bad they weren't available now. The conditions around Boston right now
        would be perfect for testing them.

        Mara

        >From: "Gear Tester" <geartester@...>
        >To: <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Light Weight Crampons
        >Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:09:48 -0700

      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2001
          The April 1st date was only after much begging. I'm afraid that is as soon as we can get them. I ran into Danny Giovale, owner of Kahtoola, at REI this afternoon. I was with Tom Hennessy and he had lots of good things to say about us to Danny. Danny is very excited about the reviews but the first production run is already sold out. I'll email him later and see about possibly getting one or two pair early for the east coast but no promises.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
            I was afraid there wouldn't be all that much ice and snow on the east side. Is there any place back east that would still have ice then?
            Jerry
            Hi Jerry...I have to agree with mara....as much as I enjoy testing out new gear...I dont think there will be enough ice in the adirondacks after april 1st.  I will already be starting canoe tripping
          • Michael Tocci
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001

              <geartester@...>
              >To:
              <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [BackpackGearTest]
              Light Weight Crampons
              >Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:09:48
              -0700

            • George Cole
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
                <SNIP>The April 1st date was only after much begging. I'm afraid that is as
                soon as we can get them. I ran into Danny Giovale, owner of Kahtoola, at REI
                this afternoon. I was with Tom Hennessy and he had lots of good things to
                say about us to Danny. Danny is very excited about the reviews but the first
                production run is already sold out. I'll email him later and see about
                possibly getting one or two pair early for the east coast but no promises.
                Jerry<SNIP>

                Jerry:

                I belong to the club that maintains the AT in southern VA (PATH). We go up
                even during the winter, and at times have had icy conditions in places into
                April, but it's no sure thing. Independently, I'm trying to get into the
                mountains as much as I can this winter, and am doing Mt. Rogers at end of
                this month. I'm hoping for "bad" weather so I can try the Hennessy in snow
                and sub-zero temps, and I'm also taking a pair of Stabilicers and
                Get-a-grips for testing. Were the Kahtoolas available by then, I'd give
                them a go. April is a real crap shoot, but if Kahtoola is willing to take a
                chance.... I'd certainly send them back if test conditions do not arise,
                but if Kahtoola can't get any out before April they'd probably be better off
                waiting till next season.

                George

                FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
              • Justin Vlietstra
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Any of the mountains in the northeast would be suitable in April. White
                  Mountains, Adirondacks, Catskills. I hike in the Adirondacks and I've been
                  chest deep in snow in mid June (although that is rare). Snow was pretty
                  much gone by memorial day last year. Snowshoes and/or crampons are
                  definitely needed to climb the high peaks in early may. The trails are
                  usually still well packed snow and ice. I'll probably go on at least one
                  trip up there in April so I'll volunteer to test the crampons. It is
                  definitely late though. I have 4 more backpacking trips planned in the
                  Adirondack high peaks this winter, but the last of them is mid march.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 2, 2001
                    The best I can offer is that we see whats what on april 1st.  I know some of the higher peaks...like giant, marcy, wolf jaw etc may still have some white stuff in april..but you never know...if its there I'll climb it!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
                      I have seen snow in the adirondacks as late as june...but I have also seen it ice-less by april 1st...

                      I -----Original Message-----
                      From: Gear Tester <geartester@...>
                      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date: Thursday, February 01, 2001 9:09 AM

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                        Hi Jerry,

                        I would definitely like to be considered for the Kahtoola test. At a
                        minimum, I would be able to do some testing in the White Mountains in patchy
                        snow and ice. I could seek out hikes to higher elevations to give myself
                        maximum testing time for the crampons. Given the Kahtoola website however,
                        I'm sure their ideal testers should be able to put them on and wear them all
                        day. I doubt those conditions will exist in the Whites.

                        I would suggest you wait until mid to late March to make a final
                        determination about testers in the northeast. By then, we should have a
                        better idea of the conditions here in the Whites, the ADKs, and anywhere
                        else in the northeast people might be able to try them. With any luck,
                        we'll have some late season snows followed by freezing rain and a cold snap.
                        :-)

                        For myself, though I may not be able to find a day long hike to wear them
                        on, I could probably play around with them and try them on a variety of
                        footwear, from trail shoes, to Limmers, to Sorels. I wear a men's 12 (or
                        women's 13). While they are not supposed to be an equivalent tool, I would
                        also compare them with my full 12 point hinged adjustable crampons to help
                        others understand both the similarities and differences.

                        Thanks for your consideration,

                        Mara Factor
                        AT99, NH4000'ers

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2001
                          Jerry..I couldn't agree more...we have been getting some snow up here the past few days...and forecast is for an additional foot or more tonight!  Yeah...but how it will be in 7 weeks is anyones guess...one of the nice things about the weather in the daks is that if you don't like it...stick around it will be different in a few minutes!!--Original Message-----
                          From: Mara Factor <m_factor@...>
                          To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com <BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Monday, February 05, 2001 11:36 AM

                          <cmtocci@...>
                          >Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:22:47
                          -0800

                          Message -----

                        • bbaker@noochee.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 7, 2001
                            > I was offered 5 pairs of Kahtoola light weight, flexible,
                            collapsible crampons that fit trail shoes, light boots and winter
                            boots. I am interested in at least 2 people that are doing the Sierra
                            portion of the PCT this year to be included in the reviews. You keep
                            the crampons at the end of the test IF YOU COMPLETE ALL THREE REPORTS
                            AS REQUIRED. I CAN'T OVER STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF COMPLETING THE
                            REPORTS AS REQUIRED! Check them out at www.kahtoola.com .The first
                            production run is sold out but I whined and begged and pleaded and
                            got a commitment for the 5 by April 1, 2001 which was the best I
                            could do. We'll be testing and reviewing them on
                            BackpackGearTest@y... .
                            > Jerry

                            Jerry-
                            I'd like to be considered as a volunteer tester for the Kahtoola
                            lightweight crampons. I live in Colorado and the crampons would
                            be very handy for early season (April-May) 14er attempts as well
                            as high altitude backpacking trips. I have experience with
                            mountaineering and vertical ice crampons, so I have some
                            (tangentially) related products to compare the Kahtoolas with.

                            Brad Baker