Owner Review: The North Face Ultra Gore-Tex XCR Trail Running Shoe

  • andv4ranaut
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      Here she is...hope I did everything right

      Owner Review: The North Face Ultra Gore-Tex XCR Trail Running Shoe

      Review date: February 3, 2006

      Biography
      Name: Erik Clemmenson
      Location: Farmington, Connecticut, USA
      Height: 6' 0"
      Weight: 185 lb
      E-mail: andv4ranaut@...
      Experience: 10 years
      Backpacking style: Semi-heavyweight (though not by choice)

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: The North Face
      Year of Manufacture:
      Homepage: http://www.thenorthface.com/
      Listed Weight: 14 oz (396 g) per shoe – Men's Size 9
      Measured weight: 15 oz (425 g) per shoe – Men's Size 10.5
      MSRP: $109.00 USD

      Description (in the words of The North Face)
      · Abrasion resistant synthetic mudguard
      · AgION™ anti microbial lining
      · Breathable sandwich mesh upper and tongue
      · Decoupled heel
      · Extended Roll Control™ medial heel wedge
      · Heel & Forefoot X-2™ cushioning
      · Injection molded TPU shank insert
      · Northotic™ ergonomically designed multidensity footbed with AgION™
      anti microbial top sheet
      · Reinforced toe cap and heel
      · Scree gaiter attachments Dual density EVA midsole
      · TNF Trail Grip™ rubber outsole
      · Waterproof, breathable Gore-Tex® XCR® trail runner for all weather
      conditions. Gore-Tex® XCR® waterproof, breathable membrane upper

      General Observations/Comments

      After having two pairs of The North Face's Ultra 102s, I decided it
      was time to spend the extra ten dollars and purchase their Gore-Tex
      XCR model. Though the Industry Blue/Goldenrod color I bought had me
      querying the employee whether he was positive that he had grabbed the
      men's shoe, and was different from my old Black/Yellow trail runners,
      the new color seemed to grow on me after a few days of wearing them
      around. Many a time my shoes were degraded by comments such as, "I bet
      those don't make it through the next five days." But when we stopped
      to tape up for hotspots, and eventually blisters, I could feel an evil
      grin spread across the front of my shoes. I've put these shoes to hell
      and back, and they show no signs of quitting.

      Field Conditions

      Appalachian Trail (Presidential Range, NH)
      Elevation: 1,452 ft (442 m) - 6,288 ft (1917 m)
      Weather: 35 F (1 C) – 80F (27 C)

      Jotunheimen
      Elevation: 3,600 ft (1,097 m) – 8,098 ft (2468 m)
      Weather: 32 F (0 C) – 75 F (22 C)

      Field Observations

      From the Appalachian Trail to Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark (Norway), these
      trail runners have endured through a vast array of terrain.

      The first trip brought Franconia Ridge, hiking in from below Liberty
      Campsite, to Mt. Washington, and out through Hermit Lake.

      On the AT (the Presidentials), the difference was staggering while
      running downhill. I've never felt so fleet of foot while on the trail
      as I did the first time I went down a hill with my new shoes. The
      weather on the trip was sunny and partly cloudy, with a few droplets
      of rain here and there during the nights. Unfortunately (fortunately
      at the time), I didn't get a chance to test out these shoes while
      saturated, but dry and damp they offered awesome traction, and great
      cushioning. Personally, I like to feel what I'm stepping on, and these
      shoes gave that to me while still offering immaculate traction. The
      cushioning feels like a regular running shoe, except it doesn't wear
      out after running on it 20 times as most of mine have. The exceptional
      breathability of these shoes was wonderful, I didn't ever feel like my
      feet were damp from sweat. My one complaint from this trip is that
      while putzing around in a stream before heading up Mt. Webster, I
      noticed that the "Gore-Tex® XCR® waterproof, breathable membrane
      upper" wasn't so waterproof. However, as stated above, I felt no
      discomfort.

      Now, across the mighty Atlantic Ocean to Jotunheimen, "Land of the
      Giants." I believe we covered around 70 miles on our hike through
      Jotunheimen.

      This was my first time abroad, so I didn't know what to expect, so I
      brought my trail runners along, and I was rudely awakened by seeing
      Jotunheimen covered in snow, in July. So, not having any alternative,
      I strapped on the trusty trail runners, and made my way up
      Galdhøpiggen. By the time we got back, my shoes were completely soaked
      through. But even though water squished out with every step, they
      still offered great traction and cushion, when I was out of the snow.
      I was optimistic as I laid my shoes out to dry. However, my gaiters
      decided that they had had enough after Galdhøpiggen, and promptly
      broke within a few hours of beginning the second day, so I was left
      with wet boots for the rest of the trip. After fording through rivers,
      and walking through the snow for 7 days, my feet didn't have any
      blisters on them, though they did look rather humorous in their
      shriveled state. Though at the time I can't say I had any idea it was
      in there, the anti-microbial lining prevented any type of vile stench
      from accumulating inside my shoes. My only complaint would have to be
      that my toes hurt after doing kicking steps, but I wasn't expecting to
      be comfortable in them while doing kicking steps. What ever happened
      to that reinforced toe cap? Oh well, I can't blame The North Face for
      that one. I was pleasantly surprised that these didn't alter in their
      performance whatsoever, though they might've been completely
      inadequate for my situation.

      In closing, I wouldn't think twice about getting a fourth pair of The
      North Face Trail Runners. They've gone beyond their calling many a
      time, and stood to tell the tale.

      Things I like: Anti-Bacterial footbeds, lightweight, multiple lacing
      holes, just about everything.
      Things I dislike: Uppers are not waterproof as stated by The North Face.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
          Hi Erik,

          Welcome! Since you did not include your age in your Bio, I wanted to
          let you know that is a required piece of info. Please make sure to
          list this in any subsequent repostings or revisions of your Owner
          Review.

          Thanks
          Jamie D
          Edit Admin Officer