Re: EDIT ADDENDUM: Owner Review - GoLite Hex 3 - by tim todd

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Steven H. Miller
      <metaphorce@...> wrote:

      > Are these "house styles and standards" delineated in writing
      somewhere
      > that's accessible to new reporters? It might ease the editor's work
      > considerably.
      >
      > SteveM

      Steve and others,

      They best advice that I can give you as a veteran tester would be to
      watch the list read what others edits are, and take a look at some of
      the reports on the web site. Also when you joined you should have
      received a link to the survival guide which while not perfect outlines
      what is expected in a report.

      If you are looking for reports to get an idea of the content that is
      required I would start with the editors of this group. Roger Caffin,
      Pam Wyant, Colleen Porter and others.

      We don't want to change peoples style of writing, but do want to make
      sure the content of the report meets the requirements. Additionally
      there is a mentoring program where your mentor can help you with your
      report so that it will go through the editing process on this list
      much easier.

      Jason B
      Veteran Tester
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
        > Are these "house styles and standards" delineated in writing somewhere
        > that's accessible to new reporters? It might ease the editor's work
        > considerably.
        >
        > SteveM

        Not to mention the writer's...

        Jason's post addressed this issue pretty well. The Survival Guide,
        though a little out of date for a few minor details (a new version is
        in the works) remains an essential document. Jason stressed that, and
        as both a tester and an editor I agree.

        One major source of edits is in the matter of conversions and units.
        The BGT site has a converter utility. The foot of this page has pretty
        comprehensive information regarding how this information should be
        presented, and I consider this text indispensable.

        The BGT standards are not hidden away or arbitrary; they are all
        documented, and most of the documentation is indicated upfront. It
        seems not everyone reads it, though (or perhaps it isn't internalized
        easily). I really don't expect perfect ORs to come rolling in--it
        would be boring if they did--but I do ask that those submitting them
        carefully attend to my edits and advice. Most do.

        Ted.
      • Steven H. Miller
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
          Ted and Jason:

          Actually, looking back through my emails, I can't find the Survival
          Guide. I certainly read the review-writing lessons on the website, and
          I think I followed the suggestions pretty closely (but we'll see when
          the editor "has at" my first review, won't we!)

          But having read a bunch of fresh reviews and the edits of them over the
          past few weeks, it seems to me that there are not only standards -
          which are addressed well in your post, Ted - but also "styles" involved
          here, and style requirements are not really clearly documented in the
          online lessons.

          Style is a very subjective call. I have noticed that every so often, a
          new report writer just freaks out about being edited. I've seen it
          twice in the past three weeks. It has seemed to center on a sense of
          outrage that the editor is being too demanding, too subjective, too
          arbitrary.

          It would certainly make it easier for a lot of new report-writers if a
          couple of you veterans could try to document some thoughts on style,
          since you are certainly operating out of your style-opinions in your
          editing.

          Now, I write for a living, and my skin got toughened up to editing a
          couple of decades ago. I feel it incumbent on me to pass along some
          advice that helped me over this emotional hurdle:

          a) If your editor does not seem objective to you, remember that as the
          author, you are probably the least objective of all the parties
          involved. Of course you think your piece is good: that's why you wrote
          it that way. But if you can step back from it honestly and pretend
          somebody else wrote it and see if you can spot anything in it that
          needs fixing... you'll find something every time. Most really good
          writers are never completely satisfied with their work, and feel that
          it was never really "finished" and perfected, only that they had to
          part with it at some point anyway.

          b) It's important to distinguish between you and your work. Criticism
          of your work is not criticism of you. Outright rejection of your work
          is not rejection of you. Nobody's talking about you as a human being
          when they're editing your report on a sleeping bag. (The first time I
          sent off a screenplay and got it back with a short 'Thanks, but no
          thanks' note, I called an older and wiser friend and glumly told her
          what had happened. "I got rejected" I said. "You did not get
          rejected!" she said very briskly. "Your script got rejected. They
          don't know you. They've never even met you.")

          c) This kind of writing is a job, it's not art. It's not poetry, it's
          not a confession of your inmost feelings, it's not a love letter. If
          it was one of those things, criticism of your style might be worth
          taking personally. But this is a job. If you were working your first
          day on a construction job, and a veteran carpenter came by and pointed
          to two boards you'd nailed together and said, "Hey, that joint's not
          square," you wouldn't start yelling at him for criticizing you. You'd
          get your square and fix the joint, and be thankful the guy helped you
          out before you put up the wall-frame and found that the roof wouldn't
          sit on it correctly. Writing-style is more subjective than the
          squareness of two studs, but it's still a job, not art, and it's not
          worth expending a lot of emotional energy getting defensive about it.
          You are probably imperfect as a writer, and your editor is probably
          imperfect as an editor. All we can do is try.

          All that said, I sympathize with the two freak-outs I've seen here.
          It's terrible to feel that a strangers are capriciously torturing you,
          just because they can. I don't know how the editors decide between
          what things are mandatory edits and what are suggestions, but I suspect
          that therein lies the key to the emotional problems I've seen so far.

          Best,
          SteveM

          On Feb 3, 2006, at 7:02 AM, edwardripleyduggan wrote:

          > > Are these "house styles and standards" delineated in writing
          > somewhere
          > > that's accessible to new reporters?  It might ease the editor's work
          > > considerably.
          > >
          > > SteveM
          >
          > Not to mention the writer's...
          >
          > Jason's post addressed this issue pretty well. The Survival Guide,
          > though a little out of date for a few minor details (a new version is
          > in the works) remains an essential document. Jason stressed that, and
          > as both a tester and an editor I agree.
          >
          > One major source of edits is in the matter of conversions and units.
          > The BGT site has a converter utility. The foot of this page has pretty
          > comprehensive information regarding how this information should be
          > presented, and I consider this text indispensable.
          >
          > The BGT standards are not hidden away or arbitrary; they are all
          > documented, and most of the documentation is indicated upfront. It
          > seems not everyone reads it, though (or perhaps it isn't internalized
          > easily). I really don't expect perfect ORs to come rolling in--it
          > would be boring if they did--but I do ask that those submitting them
          > carefully attend to my edits and advice. Most do.
          >
          > Ted.

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > ▪  Visit your group "BackpackGearTest" on the web.

          > Service.

        • TheMiddleSister
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
            Bravo, Steve! Truly well-written and thoughtful advice to us all!

            Thanks,
            Kathy
> [...]

            > The BGT site has a converter utility. The foot of this page has pretty
            > comprehensive information regarding how this information should be
            > presented, and I consider this text indispensable.
            >
            > The BGT standards are not hidden away or arbitrary; they are all
            > documented, and most of the documentation is indicated upfront. It
            > seems not everyone reads it, though (or perhaps it isn't internalized
            > easily). I really don't expect perfect ORs to come rolling in--it
            > would be boring if they did--but I do ask that those submitting them
            > carefully attend to my edits and advice. Most do.
            >
            > Ted.

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪ Visit your group "BackpackGearTest" on the web.
            >
            > ▪ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >
            > ▪ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

            Hiking clothes Hiking the inca trail Hiking backpack

            http://www.eset.com

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
              Steve,

              Looking over your articulate, insightful, and incisive response, I'm
              really looking forward to your OR! I feel the latter part of your note
              goes to the heart of the matter. I do have a few comments.

              1. Public expressions of dismay at edits have been rather uncommon on
              BGT. In general, those who submit ORs for the first time are either
              grateful for the assistance in getting their review into shape, or
              they simply don't respond. They drop out of the program. Though that's
              often disappointing to me as an editor, the cruel truth is that they
              were (likely enough) not a good fit for the program.

              2. The issue of "styles" is a tough one. In point of fact, we try to
              avoid editing style wherever possible. As an example, we often let
              punctuation issues pass, provided that they don't interfere with ease
              of reading. This is just as well, as I'm terrible about punctuation
              myself. We value the variety of the voices which our contributors
              bring to the table. However, I'm often faced with new contributors who
              know their gear, but not how to express their opinions about it. This
              is rather tough on all concerned.

              3. The single biggest source of confusion lies with metric
              conversions, and with the expression of units. The best guide to this
              by far is to be found at the foot of the conversion page, at

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

              I would be the first to admit that this is a little buried (not
              something over which I have control). In the next revision of the
              Survival Guide, I hope this will be hyperlinked.

              4. On BGT, see

              (linked from the homepage).

              The Survival Guide, which is linked from several places, is at

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php

              Chapter 3 is the critical section.

              ******

              We are all volunteers here, and we wouldn't be editing if we didn't
              care about both BGT and those who contribute to it. Without
              contributors, BGT does not exist. No edit I make, or that any of the
              editors make, is addressed to the writer as an individual. We're
              editing the text, not the person!

              I'm sure that there's more that I could write on this subject, but you
              have addressed the issues admirably. Thanks.

              Very best,

              Ted.

              <metaphorce@...> wrote:

> [...]
              pretty
              > > comprehensive information regarding how this information should be
              > > presented, and I consider this text indispensable.
              > >
              > > The BGT standards are not hidden away or arbitrary; they are all
              > > documented, and most of the documentation is indicated upfront. It
              > > seems not everyone reads it, though (or perhaps it isn't internalized
              > > easily). I really don't expect perfect ORs to come rolling in--it
              > > would be boring if they did--but I do ask that those submitting them
              > > carefully attend to my edits and advice. Most do.
              > >
              > > Ted.
              > >

              > > To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
              > >

              > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              > >
              > > ▪  Visit your group "BackpackGearTest" on the web.
              > > ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              > > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

            • Steven H. Miller
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
                Ted:

                Well, I kinda doubt my OR is anything earthshaking. I think it's
                reasonably to the point, but that's all.

                Thanks for the Survival Guide link. It's not linked from the main nav
                bar, nor is it linked from the How To Become A Tester page, although it
                IS linked from the Quickstart page.

                I hope it's OK to talk about process onlist like this. I really felt
                for those two reviewers who seemed to be bleeding so badly from being
                edited. I figured that if these two people were hurting badly enough
                to go public, there are probably others who are bleeding in private.
                It felt like a little public airing of the issues - without so much of
                the anguish - might do everyone a bit of good. (Pretty presumptuous
                for a newbie, I admit, but have been known to pop blythly in where
                angels fear to tread... with mixed results.)

                I think this list and the associated website are a very cool web
                phenomenon, and I'd like to be part of it. Obviously there's quite a
                few others who would, too, so I thought maybe reducing some of the
                emotional wear and tear of joining might be helpful.

                Best,
                SteveM

              • Jerry Goller
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Excellent post, Steve!

                  These are just general comments on the subject and not directed at anyone in particular.

                  I've tried to, as much as possible, avoid having styles edited. I *want* different styles in reports. I can't imagine anything more boring than a few thousand cookie cutter reports. I want our readers to believe that a report they are reading could be from the person they shared a shelter with last week or the person they were talking to at the trailhead last month...or themselves, for that matter.

                  But we also have to have standards to make our reports readable and worthwhile. Certain information *must* be in there for reports to have value.

                  Editor make style *suggestions* only when they truly feel it would substantially add to the report. When they say it isn't a suggestion, but a requirement that means it is something we've discussed and decided was necessary for reports in general.

                  I'd also like to say I don't believe in micromanaging. The Editors have a tough job. I don't want to do their job. So I set down guidelines, general, to be sure, as to what I want and I let them decide how to get that.

                  I absolutely support *all* Mods and their people in their decisions. Unless I want to take over their jobs, which I don't, I don't see how it can work any other way.

                  I do, from time to time, comment on editing that seems to be more toward style than substance when I see it. It is a gentle reminder to Editors as to what I consider style and what I consider content. The content, the information, is the important part, not the report. The information is the only reason BGT exists.

                  If you feel quite strongly that it is a style issue then don't make the change. If the Editors feel quite strongly that it is a content issue and needs to be changed then they can leave it up to me and I will arbitrate it. But I am the court of last resort and am not going to second guess Editors on a daily, or weekly, or monthly basis. Don't bring it to me unless it is a deal breaker between you and BGT.

                  And when I make a decision the only discussion is if you want to follow it or leave BGT.

                  Jerry Goller
                  Publisher/Owner
                  Backpackgeartest.org

                  <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                  _____

> [...]

                  > The BGT site has a converter utility. The foot of this page has pretty
                  > comprehensive information regarding how this information should be
                  > presented, and I consider this text indispensable.
                  >
                  > The BGT standards are not hidden away or arbitrary; they are all
                  > documented, and most of the documentation is indicated upfront. It
                  > seems not everyone reads it, though (or perhaps it isn't internalized
                  > easily). I really don't expect perfect ORs to come rolling in--it
                  > would be boring if they did--but I do ask that those submitting them
                  > carefully attend to my edits and advice. Most do.
                  >
                  > Ted.

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > ▪ Visit your group "BackpackGearTest" on the web.
                  >
                  > ▪ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  >
                  > ▪ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                  Hiking <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking+sock&w1=Hiking+sock&w2=Hiking+tour&w3=Hiking+vacation&w4=Hiking+clothes&w5=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w6=Hiking+backpack&c=6&s=123&.sig=U7vNs1GAXQsMdkmMejGcvg> sock Hiking <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking+tour&w1=Hiking+sock&w2=Hiking+tour&w3=Hiking+vacation&w4=Hiking+clothes&w5=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w6=Hiking+backpack&c=6&s=123&.sig=FTu67uRNdfXzYYRGjh3i0g> tour Hiking <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking+vacation&w1=Hiking+sock&w2=Hiking+tour&w3=Hiking+vacation&w4=Hiking+clothes&w5=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w6=Hiking+backpack&c=6&s=123&.sig=8M9bAzGv1jv1caX5nQWHOg> vacation
                  Hiking <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking+clothes&w1=Hiking+sock&w2=Hiking+tour&w3=Hiking+vacation&w4=Hiking+clothes&w5=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w6=Hiking+backpack&c=6&s=123&.sig=WrmBQDpNvAms02hrqEWL9w> clothes Hiking <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w1=Hiking+sock&w2=Hiking+tour&w3=Hiking+vacation&w4=Hiking+clothes&w5=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w6=Hiking+backpack&c=6&s=123&.sig=bz8AqFG05H-XH09jUZRJNA> the inca trail Hiking <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hiking+backpack&w1=Hiking+sock&w2=Hiking+tour&w3=Hiking+vacation&w4=Hiking+clothes&w5=Hiking+the+inca+trail&w6=Hiking+backpack&c=6&s=123&.sig=tAm1RFs4a8iRVKkXahBWZQ> backpack

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  _____

                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 3, 2006
                    I'd also like to say the BGT is a work in progress. We're always interested in ideas. May not take them, of course, but always interested...... ;o)

                    Jerry

                  • Andrew Priest
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 8, 2006
                      At 06:43 AM 4/02/2006, you wrote:

                      >Thanks for the Survival Guide link. It's not linked from the main nav
                      >bar, nor is it linked from the How To Become A Tester page, although it
                      >IS linked from the Quickstart page.

                      Hi Steve

                      Ahh, it is linked from the How to Become a Tester page. You will find
                      it in the first paragraph of the Quick Start Guide and it is linked
                      at
                      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9>
                      the appropriate page of the How to Become a Tester documents.

                      Also if you log into the BackpackGearTest.org site you will find
                      under Documents. It is called "Test Requirements" which it primarily is.

                      As an aside, can you please ensure you edit (read delete the surplus
                      parts of the email you are replying to) your posts before sending to
                      the list. We ask you do this as a consideration of other users,
                      particularly digest readers.

                      Thanks
                      Andrew Priest
                      List Moderator

                    • Steven H. Miller
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 8, 2006
                        Andrew:

                        In the future, I will delete the previous (the opposite is the protocol
                        on other lists I belong to).

                        As to the "Survival Guide/Test Requirements" pages... May I suggest
                        (based on my own strugles as a pioneer website content creator in the
                        mid 1990's) that settling on one name for it and always using that name
                        -both on the website and in posts/emails - would make it easier on us
                        newbies.

                        Thanks,
                        SteveM
                      • Andrew Priest
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                          At 03:46 AM 9/02/2006, you wrote:
                          >Andrew:
                          >
                          >In the future, I will delete the previous (the opposite is the protocol
                          >on other lists I belong to).

                          Protocol on other lists? That is interesting. If you do a search on
                          email etiquette you might find that your approach of (a) top posting
                          versus bottom posting (considering people with disabilities) and (b)
                          quoting in full all the advert details and in full all the previous
                          posts in the thread as opposed to editing the material you are
                          quoting to the relevant material is not consider good etiquette.

                          I suggest you also try going on to digest and get a feel for the
                          digest users experience. You might even be surprised. Or
                          alternatively I am sure Roger and some of the other digest users here
                          will be more than happy to let you know what they think of you
                          earlier approach :-).

                          >As to the "Survival Guide/Test Requirements" pages... May I suggest
                          >(based on my own strugles as a pioneer website content creator in the
                          >mid 1990's) that settling on one name for it and always using that name
                          >-both on the website and in posts/emails - would make it easier on us
                          >newbies.

                          Sure, I understand your point, but it is referred to as the Survival
                          Guide in all "newbie" related documentation and the testers who have
                          signed up to the website seem to have had no problem finding the
                          document. This is the first time that I am aware of since we have had
                          the website that it has been raised as an issue. Given the website
                          usage etc I am not going to get hung up on this one.

                          That said I will pass your comment on to the Webmaster.

                          Regard

                        • edwardripleyduggan
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                            Historically (can one write "historically" in connection with such a
                            recent phenomenon as the Internet?) the norm with replies to
                            e-mail--and, by extension, to lists--has been to remove all
                            superfluous material. I was online as soon as public access to the
                            Internet (i.e. to those without government or academic affiliation)
                            was permitted, and all the books on the subject of Internet procedures
                            of that time mentioned trimming excess from e-mail.

                            Though this sounds like one of those "Back when I was a lad..."
                            stories, almost everything was command line driven, but that was OK
                            because we were all used to DOS, if not even more "primitive"
                            operating systems. I still like command line, in fact. The issue with
                            e-mail is both practical (bandwidth) and procedural (it's annoying to
                            readers who receive the digest form).

                            My first machine had 1 MG of RAM--which marks me very much as a
                            Johnny-come-lately, given that the really early home computers had 64
                            k or less. I now have 50 times more RAM than I had hard-disk capacity
                            back then. This statistic is somehow both obscurely pleasing and
                            disturbing...

                            Ted.

                            Andrew wrote:

                            > Protocol on other lists? That is interesting. If you do a search on
                            > email etiquette you might find that your approach of (a) top posting
                            > versus bottom posting
                          • Andrew Priest
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                              At 10:20 PM 9/02/2006, you wrote:
                              >Historically (can one write "historically" in connection with such a
                              >recent phenomenon as the Internet?) the norm with replies to
                              >e-mail--and, by extension, to lists--has been to remove all
                              >superfluous material. I was online as soon as public access to the
                              >Internet (i.e. to those without government or academic affiliation)
                              >was permitted, and all the books on the subject of Internet procedures
                              >of that time mentioned trimming excess from e-mail.

                              Hate to tell you this Ted but I suspect I was online even before you
                              :-). I can remember vaguely pre-WWW days, but then I work for a
                              academic institution. I can still remember or the stories of doom and
                              gloom if business got hold of the Internet. How things have changed.
                              Mind you I see AOL is looking to charge to have emails sent to AOL members.

                              Andrew

                            • Leesa J
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                                I remember a demonstration of 'spednet' it was an academic 'online' board
                                for special education teachers. We could go to the university to access
                                information using their computers. I'm pretty sure it was 87-88. Most of
                                the teachers couldn't understand why this was worth using - they thought it
                                would never amount to anything. I guess I was a geek even then. Leesa

                                --
                                This land is your land, this land is my land...
                                Woody Guthrie

                              • Brad Larson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                                  At the risk of perpetuating this thread indefinitely....

                                  -- I remember sending my first emails in 1975 via U of Minnesota
                                  -- In 1983 had my own ATT 3b2 Unix SysV computer in my home running
                                  UUCP (unix to unix copy) that allowed me to send emails

                                  Leesa J wrote:
                                  > I remember a demonstration of 'spednet' ... I'm pretty sure it was 87-88.
                                  > On 2/9/06, Andrew Priest <apriest@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> At 10:20 PM 9/02/2006, you wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Historically (can one write "historically" in connection with such a
                                  >>> recent phenomenon as the Internet?)
                                  >>>
                                  >> Hate to tell you this Ted but I suspect I was online even before you
                                  >> :-). I can remember vaguely pre-WWW days...
                                  >>
                                  >> Andrew

                                • Steven H. Miller
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                                    I can't top that (1975, that is), but I was known to frequent a
                                    notoriously raucous chat room on Peoplelink somewhere between 1983
                                    1987. (I think... those years are a bit hazy). It was there that the
                                    term SPAM first arose. Certain individuals had a tactic for silencing
                                    people who they found boring or intrusive in our little group. They
                                    would start quoting the Monty Python SPAM routine back and forth...
                                    they had it pre-typed so they could post far more qucikly than anyone
                                    else - until they drowned out all other conversation. (Hence, SPAM is
                                    unwanted communication that chokes the system). Those of us who were
                                    regulars would just wait this out. The interlopers would figure this
                                    was no place to pick up cybersex, and leave. Then normal conversation
                                    would resume.

                                    But seriously, folks, I had no intention of stirring up a storm. I
                                    belong to a couple of Photography oriented lists where people normally
                                    leave in the preceeding thread messages. They don't even <snip>. If
                                    it's different here, I don't mind at all. I'm perfectly flexible to
                                    local custom.

                                    As to Top-posting VS bottom posting, this is endlessly the topic of
                                    debate. I have seen nasty flame-wars erupt over the question of which
                                    practice is actually the "norm," what constitutes courtesy, and what
                                    makes something intelligible.

                                    And then there's interstitial-posting...

                                    Anyway, I hope to repost my (edited) OR soon. Back to work.

                                    SteveM

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 9, 2006
                                      This thread should probably end here, but I suspect that machine is
                                      now quite collectible!