Re: OWNER REVIEW-Asolo Backpacking TPS 520 GV Boots

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi Donna,

      I see you added your Bio, that's great. IF you make any more changes
      BEFORE and editor picks up your OR, please use the word REVISED in the
      subject line along with your OR title. THat helps me and the edit
      team pick up the very latest version of your report.

      Thank you and glad to have you aboard.
      Jamie D
      Edit Admin Officer
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hello Donna,

        What part of Oz did you come from?

        There are a handful of us still in Oz as testers.

        Cheers

        Ralph

        <snip>

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2006
          Personal Biography

          Name: Donna Ross

          Age: 34

          Gender: Female

          Height: 5' 9"

          Email: dolphin648@...

          City: Los Angeles

          State: CA

          Country: USA

          Backpacking Background

          After moving to the US from Australia 8 years ago, I have been actuvely hiking, camping and backpacking.US locations include the Sierras, Angeles Crest, Yosemite National Park, Yellowstone National Parks, Malibu and Joshua Tree. I equally love spending time int he deser at sea level or elevated lush green mountains. I have camped in rain, snow and temperatures exceeding 100 degrees. Most of thebackpacking I have done has been 2-4 day trecks.

          Owner Review by Donna Ross

          Asolo Backpacking TPS 520 GV Boots

          Manufacturer: Asolo

          Made in: Romania

          Year: 2005

          Upper: water resistant full grain leather

          Inner lining: Goretex

          Sole: Asolo/Vibram rubber

          Available in wide sizes

          Price: $215.00

          Description,

          The laces are threaded permanently through five sets of metal hooks on the body of the boot and then three sets of hooks on the ankle and leg of the boot are laced up each time you put the boot on. The tongue is padded and sits firmly in place either inside of the boot or outside. The sole of the shoe is made of Vibram rubber with thick tread, deep grooves and Triple Power Structure. They are a dark brown color advertised as chestnut.

          Field Information,

          I bought these boots in 2005 specifically for a trip to Montana and Yellowstone NP. I needed my boots to be water proof, have good support, quality and durability for the conditions I would be using them in ie; snow, rain, rocks and extensive wear over a few days of backpacking. At the time, I was recovering from the foot condition Plantar Fascitis so I needed a lot of support in the arch. I would be wearing custom superfeet in them to help this. I have a size 10, wide foot and was planning on carrying an extra 45 lbs. on my back. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to break-in my boots so when I set out on my first trip, I was expecting and was prepared for some trouble in the form of blisters and hot spots. Four days of between 8 and 12 miles each, in and out of mud, puddles, over rocks, snow and some ice. Elevation gain and loss was about 1,252ft starting at the trail head at 6,520ft. I didn't even get a hot spot. My feet were sore and tired as I would expect after a long hike. By morning, they were ready for my boots again. No sensitive spots at all.

          I was in this area for 6 weeks and did 4 more similar trips with the same outcome. My feet Love these boots. Since this trip, I have worn them without the extra weight or the thick socks and have been equally as happy.

          They are not appropriate for desert or summer treks as they are leather, lined with Gortex. Way too hot for these conditions. They are very sturdy and so don't offer enough range of motion for conditions where flexability in the ankle is needed eg, inclined or declined rock scrambling. In these situations, I undid the shoelaces from the top three hooks and tied up after the last holes. This of course compromises the ankle support in the boot but allows easier movement.

          Summary,

          These boots exceded my expectations by not producing any blisters, being extremely comfortable and durable. When it is time for me to buy new boots, I will definately not shop around. I will be getting these exact boots!

          Things I like,

          1, Comfort

          2, Stability

          3, Durability