OWNER REVIEW - Jetboil Pot Support and Stabilizer (R. Lyon)

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      For the editor's blue pencil. Just ahead of Jetboil's announced
      release of a new product that may make this one obsolete. I have
      posted an html version with photos in the OR test folder. RGL

      OWNER REVIEW
      Jetboil Pot Support and Stabilizer
      Richard Lyon
      February 1, 2006
      Personal Details and Backpacking Background
      Male, 59 years old
      Height: 6' 4" (1.91 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
      Home: Dallas, Texas USA
      I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
      Rockies since 1986. I do a weeklong trip every summer, and often
      take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at
      altitudes 5000 to 13000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base camp
      backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my
      share of forced marches too. Though always looking for ways to
      reduce weight, I'm not yet a lightweight hiker and I usually choose
      an extra pound or two over foregoing camp conveniences I've come to
      expect.
      Product: Details
      [PHOTO 1]
      Manufacturer: Jetboil, Inc.
      Website: www.jetboil.com (All text in quotes in this review are from
      this website.)
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Year of Purchase: 2005
      MSRP: USD 19.95
      Weight, per Jetboil website: 1.99 oz (56.4 g)
      Measured weight: 2 oz (57 g)
      Measured dimensions: When folded up (see review), the Stabilizer is
      a 3.25 in (83 mm) equilateral triangle, each leg when extended is
      2.9 in (74 mm). The Pot Support is a 3.6 in (91 mm) diameter
      stainless steel ring, each arm (see review) has a top edge of 1 in
      (25 mm) that is 1 in (25 mm) above the top of the base.
      Jetboil's principal product is the Jetboil Personal Cooking System
      (PCS), a self-contained combination stove and boiling cup all of
      whose components, including fuel canister, fit inside the cup for
      compact storage. I encourage the reader to peruse my Owner Review
      of the basic PCS and French press before continuing here, to get an
      idea of how the PCS works and the reasons why I am so enthusiastic
      about it. Here's a photo of the PCS in its standard configuration
      for boiling: [PHOTO 2]
      The Pot Support and Stabilizer expand the PCS's range to skillet
      cooking. As its name implies, the set has two pieces. The
      Stabilizer is a plastic ring with three hinged legs that fold out to
      form a tripod; each leg has grooves into which the bottom rim of the
      fuel canister is inserted. (In the top photo, two legs are extended
      and the third folded up.) The Stabilizer has two sets of grooves.
      The Jetboil's proprietary "Jetpower" fuel canister (100 g (3.5 oz)
      capacity, 3.5 in (89 mm) base diameter) fits into inner set, and a
      larger Primus canister (225 g (7.8 oz) capacity, 4 in (102 mm) base
      diameter) that I occasionally use fits into the outer set -- kudos
      to Jetboil for not designing this accessory only for use with its
      own product.
      The Pot Support is a stainless steel heat exchanger ring with four
      hinged arms. (In the top photo, two arms are folded out as they
      would be for use and two folded in as they would be for storage.)
      When the arms are folded out the grooves in the center at the bottom
      fit on the burner's rim. Each arm has is a one-inch (25 mm)
      serrated level top edge; the four level edges serve as the base for
      a skillet or other cooking vessel. Here is the PCS with the Pot
      Support and Stabilizer and a skillet: [PHOTO 3]
      When the Stabilizer's legs are folded up and the Pot Support's arms
      are folded in, both pieces fit inside the cooking cup for storage,
      allowing me to take them and the French press without requiring
      additional pack space. As it took some experimentation to come up
      with the best way to do this, and since not all combinations work,
      here's my packing sequence: French press at the bottom of the
      cooking cup, then fuel canister right side up, then Pot Support with
      arms facing down, then burner right side up, and finally the
      Stabilizer. The two pieces of the French press rod fit into
      ventilation holes on the burner.

      Field Conditions
      I've used the Jetboil with the Pot Support and Stabilizer on
      backpacks and day hikes in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado (elevation
      from about 5000 ft (1500 m) to 8000 ft (2400 m)), in July through
      Thanksgiving weekend last year. Our groups encountered fair weather
      on the all but the Thanksgiving trip, with temperatures at mealtime
      ranging from 35 F (2 C) at breakfast to 80 F (27 C) at dinner. On
      Thanksgiving weekend we hiked in intermittent snow showers and a
      temperature right around freezing.
      I am an avid fly fisherman and I bought the Pot Support and
      Stabilizer primarily to use the PCS to cook trout caught in the
      backcountry. That was their sole function on all the trips except
      two in Yellowstone National Park. Trout was caught daily, sautéed
      in olive oil or bacon fat, and served as dinner or a first course
      for dinner every night, and also occasionally for breakfast. The
      Yellowstone hikes were in a catch-and-release section of the Park,
      so there the PCS with Stabilizer and Pot Support performed more
      traditional backcountry duty: breakfast pancakes and bacon on the
      backpack trip and a hot lunch on the Thanksgiving day hike.

      Evaluation
      In the morning this caffeine addict must first use the PCS to
      prepare coffee, before using his stove for a more substantial
      breakfast. The Stabilizer may be left on the canister and aids
      stability when the PCS is used in its standard boiling
      configuration, so it goes on first thing. To convert the PCS from
      boiling to frying mode, I simply remove the cooking cup and fold out
      the Pot Support arms to fit over the burner rim. Although there is
      a small indentation on the inside edge of Pot Stabilizer ring
      corresponding to the piezo post, I found that matching this is not
      necessary for a stable fit or the functioning of the piezo. To
      reattach the cooking cup for post-breakfast coffee or after-dinner
      tea in the evening, I must of course use a bandana or other hand
      protection to lift the Pot Support off the burner before reattaching
      the cooking cup. I clean the Pot Support after each trip by means
      of a simple wash with a damp cloth and prompt drying with a dry
      cloth or paper towel, to prevent any build-up of soot or spilled
      food residue.
      Using this accessory has demonstrated that the cooking cup's heat
      exchanger baffles serve as an effective windscreen, as on a couple
      of occasions when I was using the Pot Support and Stabilizer a
      sudden gust of wind extinguished the flame. This has never happened
      to me when using the PCS to boil water. The piezo hasn't failed to
      light the flame, even in the snow or high winds.
      Use of the Pot Support and Stabilizer has also given me a better
      opportunity to test the Jetboil's ability to vary heat output during
      cooking. When I boil, it's on full-bore until the water boils, then
      turned completely off; the neoprene cozy on the cooking cup keeps
      contents hot without a flame during steeping. When cooking fish or
      pancakes, however, I heat the pan over a high flame, then turn the
      flame down with the fuel valve before adding oil or fat. The PCS,
      I've found, simmers as well as any other backpacking stove that I've
      used. The valve knob permits easy and precise adjustment and the
      fuel does not sputter or cause the flame to go out at a low setting.
      The Pot Support provides a base on top of the stove of 4.75 in (121
      mm) in diameter, somewhat larger than my usual alternative, a Primus
      PowerCook. When the Stabilizer is on level ground the PCS is quite
      sturdy – more stable in fact than the Primus because of the broader
      base and the bulk of the burner unit on which the Pot Support
      fits.
      I haven't conducted stove-to-stove time trials, but I did not detect
      any appreciable improvement in cooking time or heat distribution
      over the Primus or other backpacking stove when frying with the
      PCS. This contrasts sharply from boiling, when the heat exchanger
      in the cooking cup gives the Jetboil a marked edge.
      Bottom Line
      Like the PCS itself, the Pot Support and Stabilizer accessory is
      simple, easy to use, and effective. While the Jetboil PCS with Pot
      Support and Stabilizer as a stove for skillet cooking is just
      another stove, and a relatively heavy one at that since its pack
      weight includes the cooking cup, with only two ounces (67 g) and no
      extra pack space this accessory converts a top-notch compact boiling
      system into an all-purpose backpacking stove that is comparable in
      performance to any alternative I have used. For a camper who fits
      the Jetboil niche, as I do, that's a bargain.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the yahoo group list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
          Hello Richard,

          Excellent review. I may be falling down on the job, but I found only
          one edit for my metaphorical pencil, and that a small one. Please
          render into HTML and upload to

          http://tinyurl.com/8ba4m

          Thank you!

          Ted.

          BGT OR Editor

          While the Jetboil PCS with Pot
          > Support and Stabilizer as a stove for skillet cooking is just
          > another stove, and a relatively heavy one at that since its pack
          > weight includes the cooking cup, with only two ounces (67 g) and no
          > extra pack space this accessory converts a top-notch compact boiling
          > system into an all-purpose backpacking stove that is comparable in
          > performance to any alternative I have used.

          ### EDIT: I found the sentence above a little awkward. I suggest
          reducing it to two sentences. As it stands, it's a little difficult to
          follow.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
            Ted, Made the change and was about to upload when I noticed the link
            is to the Cooking Gear/Stoves folder, not Accessories. Was that
            intentional? I'd have selected the latter, and test reports for the
            Jetboil French Press and Jetboil Pan Adapter are in the latter.
            Please advise. RGL

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
              Mmm. Good point. Thanks!

              Let's go for

              http://tinyurl.com/a877n

              Best,

              Ted.

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <rlyon@...> wrote:

              > Ted, Made the change and was about to upload when I noticed the link
              > is to the Cooking Gear/Stoves folder, not Accessories. Was that
              > intentional? I'd have selected the latter, and test reports for the
              > Jetboil French Press and Jetboil Pan Adapter are in the latter.
              > Please advise. RGL

            • richardglyon
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
                <erd@...> wrote:

                Ted - Uploaded. My posting in the OR Test folder apparently has
                passed the witching hour, as I can't delete it. Can you do so for
                me? Thanks. RGL
                Mmm. Good point. Thanks!