REPOST-MSR Alpine Classic Cookware Set- Jennifer Koles

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      Pam thanks for the edits.
      link:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review-MSR%20Alpine%20Classic%20Cookware%20Set/

      Owner Review-MSR Alpine Classic Cookware Set

      Jennifer Koles

      January 23, 2006

      Photo of the Alpine Classic Cookset

      Photo obtained from manufacturer website.

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Jennifer Koles

      Age: 31

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)

      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)

      Email address: jennksnowy@...

      City, State, and Country: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

      Backpacking Background

      I started taking overnight backpacking trips this past summer in the
      Uinta Mountain Range in Utah. I already owned some backpacking gear
      that I had purchased over the past few years. Although I enjoyed my
      backpacking experience this summer, I found myself taking entirely too
      much gear. I am finding out slowly how to minimize my needs and not
      require extra luxuries. My previous outdoor experiences consisted of 4
      wheel-drive camping in primitive areas and day hiking. I have some
      backpacking gear I purchased over the past few years. I enjoyed my
      backpacking experience this summer. I plan to take more trips,
      increase my duration, and reduce my pack weight from 45 lb (20.41 kg).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: MSR

      Year of Manufacture: approximately 1999

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.msrcorp.com/

      Listed Weight: 26 oz (733 g)

      Weight as Delivered: 20.45 oz (580 g) measured on digital scale

      PanHandler: 1.6 oz (45.36 g)

      Lid: 4.8 oz (136 g)

      1.5 L (51 fl oz) pot: 6.08 oz (1.72 g)

      2 L (68 fl oz) pot: 7.04 oz (200 g)

      Stuff sack: 1.25 oz (35.44 g)

      MSRP: $39.95 US currency

      Product Description

      The Alpine Classic Cookware Set is crafted of 18-10 Stainless Steel.
      This set includes the following:

      * 1.5 L (51 fl oz) pot
      * 2 L (68 fl oz) pot
      * PanHandler
      * Multi-Use Lid
      * Nylon stuff sack

      This cookware set does not have a non - stick surface.

      Features:

      The multi-use lid fits on both the 1.5 L (51 fl oz) and the 2 L (68 fl
      oz) pot. The lid can be used as a frying pan or a plate.

      The pots have a rolled lip to prevent warping and to maintain proper
      lid fit. This also enables the PanHandler to maintain a better grip
      when grasping the pot.

      The PanHandler enables the user to securely grasp the rim of the pot
      or lid. The manufacturer reports that it is capable of grasping 10 lb
      (4.5 kg) of weight.

      Crafted of scratch and dent resistant 18-10 stainless steel.

      The rounded corners in the pots help heat travel up sides of pot more
      quickly. This also makes cleanup easier.

      The pots easily nest together for storage inside the included stuff
      sack. Some stoves will fit inside the pots for easier storage and
      transport.

      Field Information

      For the past 6 years I have utililized this cookware from the Pacific
      Coast to the Wasatch Mountain Range at elevations from 15 ft-13,000 ft
      (4.6 m - 3962 m) and in desert to mountain climates in temperature
      ranges from 90 F (32 C) to 40 F (4 C).

      When I initially started to use the cook set I did not think about
      saving space, but now I nest my MSR WhisperLite stove inside the
      smaller pot and try to fit whatever other cookware items I can into
      the stuff sack.

      I have dropped the cookware too many times to count on various
      surfaces (rocks, concrete, tree stumps, gravel, and the list goes on
      and on). Generally while cooking I use a wooden multi-purpose camp
      spoon, so this helps prevent scratching, and looking at my cookware
      today it looks almost brand new. There are just a few small scratches
      inside one of the pots, but no dings or dents.

      The bottoms of the pots are blackened, which will occur from frequent
      use. The manufacturer reports that this allows heat to be absorbed
      better than a lighter colored pot.

      While cooking if I have the gas turned up too high on my stove
      sometimes I will hear a popping sound from the pot. This makes me
      feel I need to lean to operate my stove better. I have not noticed any
      warping of any sort due to this.

      I have cooked various types of foods in this cook set. Some examples
      of the types of foods I have prepared are: bacon, eggs, pancakes,
      oatmeal, pre-packaged backcountry foods, pasta, rice, instant
      potatoes, sauces, canned vegetables, canned beans, soups, small pieces
      of chicken and red meat. The food appears to cook evenly in both of
      pots and the fry pan.

      Some foods are difficult to clean completely from the surface of the
      pots and the lid. This is partially due to the lack of a non-stick
      surface on the stainless steel. I resolve this problem by boiling a
      little water in the pot and then I scrape the food out with my
      multi-purpose camp spoon. Or I wait until I get home and I give the
      cookware a good scrubbing. The foods that I have the most difficulty
      cleaning from the cook set are eggs and foods with a higher fat or
      grease content. No food has permanently stuck to the inside of the pot.

      The feature I like the most while using this cook set is the
      functionality of the PanHandler. It grabs onto the pot near the lip
      and enables me to lift the pot or the lid without getting burned. It
      also makes this task easier than attempting to hold the pot with my
      hands. To use the PanHandler I just open the handles enough to place
      it on the pot or the lid where I want to and then I grip the handles
      together with my hand. The manufacturer reports that it is capable of
      holding 10 lb (4.5 kg). I never attempted holding that much weight.
      In the field the most I held was approximately 5 lb (2.27 kg) with no
      difficulty noted.

      I use the lid included in the set as a fry pan and as a plate. The
      lid is not flat on the surface so making a nice fried egg or any food
      item that can run like pancakes can be challenging. I use the lid
      placed on the pot to decrease the amount of cooking time required to
      fully cook or heat up my food, enabling me to save stove fuel. The lid
      can also be placed on the pot to keep excess food warm for short
      periods of time (approximately 10 minutes).

      Summary

      I have been very satisfied with this cookware set. I just pack the
      set nested into the stuff sack, place my stove inside and stuff it
      into my pack. At times I have difficulty cleaning the pots and the
      lid in the backcountry. However, I can wait until I return home to
      scrub my cookware. I like the functionality of the PanHandler to
      grasp the pots and the lid. It allows me to handle the pot and lid
      safely without the risk of getting burned or the need to carry extra
      gear. This cook set is by no means the lightest on the market, but it
      is durable, disperses heat well, and functions well for the price.

      Things I like:

      * Ease of storage (nesting the pots together)
      * Scratch and dent resistant features
      * Using the PanHandler
      * The price

      Things I do not like:

      * Sometimes cleanup in the field can be difficult due to the
      stainless steel surface.