EDIT/APPROVAL: OWNER REVIEW- Esbit Folding Wing Stove

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi Amanda,

      I like the Esbit, and Esbit tabs. Good review subject. I have a few
      relatively trifling edits for you. Make these, test the HTML, and then
      please load the final version to

      http://tinyurl.com/c28cp

      Don't forget the OR button.

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR EDITOR

      ##########

      Owner Review: Esbit Folding Wing Stove

      ### EDIT: Review date here, please.

      Date: January 18, 2006

      ### EDIT: ... and remove date from here

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking and hiking for five years throughout
      Michigan and Indiana, covering several hundred miles, always with a
      dog by my side. Beau has been happily carrying a pack since 2002.
      Before Beau I hiked with Lucy, who is now retired.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Esbit
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      ### EDIT: http://www.esbit.net/

      Manufacturer's weight: 3 oz (85 g)
      Weight as tested: 3 oz (85 g)
      Manufacturer's dimensions:
      Dimensions as used: 3.75" L x 3" W x .75" H (9.5 cm L x 7.6 cm W x 2
      cm H)
      MSRP: $10 (US)

      Materials: stamped steel
      Fuel type: solid fuel

      Product Review

      The Esbit Folding Wing Stove is a small stove that is ingenious in
      its simplicity. When you first see it all you see is a small
      rectangular metal box.

      ### EDIT: To avoid the repetition of "see" and the use of "you," maybe
      something like " At first glance it looks like a small rectangular
      metal box."

      A light push on the ends makes the box fold
      apart into a stove that from the side looks roughly like a capital
      H. The wings on the stove can also be folded in slightly to support
      a smaller diameter pot.

      The fuel tabs are made of Hexamine and smell slightly, though when
      they burn there is no odor. The stove can burn other types of solid
      fuel tabs, like military surplus Trioxane. Trioxane isn't usually
      recommended except in emergencies because, unlike Hexamine, it gives
      off toxic fumes. Other manufacturers, such as Creekside and
      Coghlan's, make Hexamine tabs that will burn in Esbit stoves
      (Coghlan's fuel tabs are also about half the size of an Esbit tab,
      perfect for a cup of coffee or bowl of ramen noodles). Since these
      tablets are non combustible, they can be taken on planes and shipped
      through the post office or other parcel carriers, unlike canisters
      or liquid fuels. This is a big selling point for many long distance
      hikes where finding fuel at resupply points may be difficult. When
      planning a hike I plan to use about 1.5 fuel tabs per day.

      ### EDIT: chemical names such as "trioxane" and "hexamine" should not
      be capitalized.

      The fuel tabs are lit and placed on the cross bar of the H and the
      pot placed on top of the stove. You cannot adjust the flame on the
      Esbit stove

      ### EDIT: The flame on the Esbit stove cannot be adjusted...

      (limiting its range to heating up water for simple
      meals). There is no windscreen, but I never needed one. If the
      stove were to be used in windy conditions, a piece of folded up

      ### EDIT: folded-up

      aluminum foil would protect the stove. There are four metal slots
      where you place the fuel tab

      ### EDIT: There are four metal slots where the fuel tab is placed...

      to allow airflow around the fuel.
      Without this air, the fuel wouldn't burn very efficiently.

      ### EDIT: Presumably not, but unless you have tested this, I feel it's
      better to omit this statement as it's not substantiated by experience.

      While
      burning, the area under the stove can become extremely hot, burning

      ### COMMENT: maybe "scorching" would be better here.

      whatever it is sitting on, such as a picnic table or dry forest
      duff. To reduce the risk of fire, place the stove on something
      stable that won't easily catch fireĀ—a dry rock, mineral soil, sand,
      etc.

      I like this stove for its ease of use. I don't have to prime it,
      like a white gas or multi fuel stove would need, the stove is the
      pot stand, unlike the Trangia's separate pot stand, and I don't have
      to worry about bulky empty containers, like the canister stove.

      ### EDIT: I found this sentence confusing. I'd like to suggest the use
      of semi-colons:

      "I don't have to prime it, as a white gas or multi-fuel stove would
      require; the stove is its own pot stand, unlike the Trangia's separate
      one; and I don't have to worry about bulky empty containers, as with
      the canister stove."

      #########

      The
      only waste produced by the stove is a small amount of plastic
      cellophane

      ### EDIT: "plastic"-- omit cellophane

      packaging the tablets are stored in. The tablets can be
      stored inside the folded up

      ### EDIT: folded-up

      stove along with a lighter or matches,
      so there isn't need to fish around in a pack to find the fuel or
      worry that the fuel is going to leak inside my pack. It's very
      handy when I want to get going early, but still want a hot breakfast
      or when I want to hike until dusk.

      Esbit tabs are $6 for 12
      tabs, and Creekside slightly less at $3 for 8 tabs. This is more
      expensive than denatured alcohol for my Trangia stove, and about the
      same price as the IsoPropane

      ### EDIT: iso-propane

      for my Pocket Rocket. Also, fuel is
      not readily available at anything other than a camp supply store,
      unlike liquid fuels.

      Despite these two problems, I will continue to use this stove while
      hiking solo or on any trip where fast, simple meals are more
      important than gourmet dining.

      Pros:

      Ease of use
      Light weight
      Can ship fuel

      Cons:
      Residue on pots
      Price of fuel
      No flame adjustment

      Bottom line:

      The Esbit folding wing stove is an ideal stove for solo packers who
      favor quick, simple meals.