New Greeting

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2001
      This is the new message every new lister will receive upon joining the list.
      Jerry

      Welcome to BackpackGearTest. I would like to take this opportunity to give you a clearer picture of what we do here and how it works. We do not give away free gear here. The purpose of this list is to trade our input and product exposure for the gear we receive from the manufactures. If you receive gear through this list your will be expected to post the required reviews in the time frame expected and in an organized and intelligible format. You will be free to make any comments you like, in good taste, as long as you substantiate your findings be they good, bad, or indifferent. The people on this list will discuss your findings and, I hope, ask you questions about them. Our main purpose here is to put out unbiased reviews in a setting that encourages discussion about those reviews both among ourselves and with the people that made them. Your reports will be uploaded to our file section for future reference. If you see reviews of equipment here that you own or have used I encourage you to upload your comments about either the review process or the piece of gear in question to the Non-Tester Comments folder that will accompany every test series.

      Requests (I call them applications) will be periodically posted to the list calling for testers for each piece of gear to be reviewed. You must apply for each individual test series. You will not be allowed to participate in more than one test at a time nor in two successive tests. You will be expected to use the gear in the manor in which the manufacturer intended. If you do not feel that you have the time or inclination to do the reports in a timely manor or to put forth a good faith effort in the reviews please do not apply for the gear. This is not a gear lottery. It is a serious forum for the review of gear that many of us would not have an opportunity to see any other way short of putting down our hard earned money and hoping for the best. While I don’t necessarily expect professional quality writing in your reviews I do expect you to write clearly and at reasonable length about the gear, how and where you used it, and the results of that use. I expect you to own a spell checker and to use it. The manufacturers are free to quote our reviews and to use our names in any promotions they may do as long as we are correctly quoted both as to actual content and intent. If you are not interested in reviewing the gear presented here you are welcome to set back and enjoy the free flow of information about it. Pass the word about this list and the information contained in it to any other lists to which you subscribe. The more people we have on this list the more interest the manufacturers will have in us. Enjoy

      Jerry Goller