Re: Under Owner Review - Hex 3 edit

  • Emma Eyeball
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
      Hi Tim,

      here are your edits. you have taken a somewhat unique approach in
      your OR with the section at the end, and i like what you've done. you
      just need a little sculpting. once you have incorporated the edits,
      re-post your OR and we'll go from there. thanks so much!

      > Weight: 182 lb (82.5 k)

      edit: the proper abbreviation for kilograms is "kg."

      > Backpacking Background:

      edit: your biography is 121 words. the maximum is 100.

      > every Sunday is reserved for a wilderness hike where daily life is
      > not allowed interrupt. I try to get away for 3 days two times a

      edit: "allowed to interrupt."

      > Area: 65 sq ft (6m2)

      edit: (6 m2)

      > FEATURES:

      question: are you quoting the features directly from GoLite's site?
      there's nothing wrong with that, but if you are you need to mention it.

      edit: we want to hear YOUR description. we have very few ironclad
      rules, but one of them is that you must have a paragraph titled
      "Product Description," and that it must be your description, not the

      > * Olympic National Forest, Washington State
      > o Terrain varies from snow to rocky.
      > * Bitterroot National Forest, Montana
      > o The terrain was 8 inches of snow.
      > * Mt. Hood, Oregon
      > o Terrain was either snow or soft soil.

      edit: in your Field Conditions section, you must include altitude,
      temperature ranges (approximates are OK, but of course the more
      accurate the better), terrain, and weather conditions.

      > REVIEWS:
      > First Use:
      > All new gear I get is always tested at home first on my seven
      > wooded acres. The incident was quite uneventful. All corners were
      > staked out, the pole set in place, and there it was just like in the
      > picture. Very simple except for one detail - I have yet to achieve a
      > perfectly round base. Maybe my eyes are crooked, I don't know.
      > Fortunately the lack of perfect roundness is only aesthetic and in no
      > way a hindrance to its performance.

      comment: i own three single-pole shelters - one with a square
      footprint, one with an oval, and one with a circle. yes, i'm a big
      fan of this shelter type! it is nigh on to impossible to get them
      pitched symmetrically. you're not alone.

      > Once I was satisfied and confident about the Hex 3, we ventured
      > into the wilderness on a partly sunny day. My wife, two dogs and I.

      edit: your second sentence is incomplete. i would suggest combining
      the two sentences like so: "...about the Hex 3, my wife, two dogs and
      I ventured into..."

      > The tent setup just like at home.

      edit: "set up."

      My wife was happy but concerned
      > about the "no floor" feature. I use tarps a lot when camping solo and
      > the Hex 3 was meant to bridge a gap between tent and tarp that my
      > wife would approve of since she prefers a tent. She was happily
      > surprised. We all had more than enough room and slept comfortably.
      > However, she still prefers a traditional tent with "no-seeum" mesh.
      > That meant purchasing the Hex 3 Nest Inner Tent that is all
      > mesh with a floor and an additional 2 pounds 6 ounces to the weight
      > of the entire Hex 3 package. All in all it's a small price to pay to
      > keep my significant other happy. In an effort to compromise in the
      > weight category, we now use the Golite Trig 2 shelter. I usually
      > reach for the Hex 3 when traveling with friends and in the winter.

      edit #1: start your new paragraph with "However, she still prefers..."

      edit #2: "That meant purchasing the Hex 3 Nest Inner Tent, which is
      all mesh with a coated nylon floor, and which adds an additional 2
      pounds..." sorry, that was multiple edits in one. your sentence
      needed a bit of re-construction and i really think you need to specify
      that the Nest also has a nylon floor.

      > Second Use and Beyond:
      > I am a believer in the teepee design. Its ability to offer
      > height and huge floor space is perfect for my camping needs
      > consisting of canines.

      suggestion: i would re-word this to say "...my needs when camping with
      canines." the original phrasing just seems a bit unwieldy.

      > help some, in order to be effective, they need to be even larger. I
      > am not bothered by condensation; it is nature and part of the
      > experience.

      comment: thanks for including your personal take/opinion on
      condensation. it's too often perceived as a negative or as something
      that can be eliminated with more perfect design (whatever that is).

      > Condensation as never dripped on me, water has never filled the
      > floor, and snow has never crept inside - With the exception of what
      > my dogs' drug inside.

      edit #1: "Condensation has never dripped..."

      edit #2: "inside - with the exception of what my dogs dragged in."

      > claim yet. Is it for everyone? No. If given a chance I am positive it
      > would appeal to more hikers though.

      suggestion: "No, but if given a chance I am positive it would appeal
      to more hikers."

      All too often we categorize
      > everything as positive or negative. I don't like doing that because
      > in most cases a person's con is actually another's pro. I will list a
      > few traits in given situations so that a person can make an educated
      > decision about this product.
      > It is especially vital to realize that lightweight gear demands
      > knowledgeable responsibility of how, when, and where the gear can be
      > used. The Golite Hex 3 is lightweight gear so use caution and respect
      > for nature when using this shelter. As with all single walled
      > shelters the Hex 3 works best when a person understands the nature of
      > condensation so I would highly recommend studying this subject. I
      > have tried to list everything I have experienced in this shelter but
      > I may have forgotten something. If so, I am sorry.

      suggestion: i would eliminate the apologetic tone. instead, why don't
      you say something like "here is a sampling of conditions I have used
      the Hex 3 in, and my experiences and thoughts on them"?

      > Early In The Morning:
      > * As long as and individual have not camped in a low stagnate
      > area or near water there will be no or very little condensation.

      edit: "As long as an individual has not camped in a low stagnant area..."

      question: when you say "stagnant," what exactly do you mean? to me,
      "stagnant" implies foul water. This makes the sentence seem a bit

      > A Wet Night:
      > * There will be some condensation so camp and sleep in a way
      > that will minimize it. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation

      edit: you are missing a period.

      > * Remember the tent is a cone shape, when the door is unzipped,
      > which is bottom to top; the center of the tent is exposed to rain.

      edit: this sentence is confusing. i see what you are saying but your
      punctuation choices are distracting from your meaning. maybe:
      "Remember the tent is a cone shape. When the door is unzipped, from
      the bottom up to the top, the center of the tent is then exposed to rain."

      > * Remember the tent is a cone shape, when the door is unzipped,
      > which is bottom to top; the center of the tent is exposed to snow.

      edit: same as the prior edit.

      > * Tap the side of the tent to let snow slide down before
      > opening the door.
      > * Wide snow stake or snow anchors are imperative in setting the
      > tent up.

      comment: you should check out this trip report i just saw. one of
      the folks on the trip used a Hex in an insane storm. here's a link:

      > * It is a single walled shelter, there is absolutely no
      > insulating value to the tent - It will be cold unless the proper gear
      > is utilized.
      > * The optional footprint works wonders, I highly recommend it.

      question: are you talking about the Nest again, or the Hex 3 Floor?
      just be sure to use the proper name, to minimize confusion.