Repost Owner Review - Cascade Design - 1 Liter Platy Bottle

  • Johan van Dijk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
      Hi list,

      thnx for all your help and here is the repost. With a bit of luck I can try
      to upload some pics with the OR too, once approved.

      Grtz Johan

      Platypus 1 liter hydration bladder

      Name: Johan van Dijk
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 1.86 meter (6 ft 1 in)
      Weight: 75 kg (165 lb)
      Email address: gonewalkabout at gmail dot com
      City, State, Country: Wateringen, Zuid Holland, The Netherlands (Europe)
      Date: December 6, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      School holidays with my parents were mostly spent doing day hikes in the
      forests of southern Germany.
      Since 1998 I started doing longer trips in Mediterranean Europe, the jungles
      of South East Asia, outback of Australia and the jungles of Central America.
      Although I prefer relatively warm zones I want to keep hiking in Northern
      Europe which *probably* means a bit heavier (clothes, sleeping etc) then I
      strive to hike. With my hammock and 'minimalist' approach I try to go as
      lightweight as safely (and sometimes comfortably) possible, depending on my
      activities, destination and budget.

      Product Information:
      Product: 1 Liter Platy Bottle
      Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
      Year of Manufacture: unknown, probably 1997
      Listed weight: 23 g (0.8 oz)
      Weight as measured: 25 g (0.9 oz)
      Capacity as listed: 1 L (34 fl oz)
      Capacity as measured; 1 L (34 fl oz)
      Length as listed: 25 cm (9.8 in)
      Width at base as listed 15 cm ( 5.9 in)
      Length as measured: 28 cm (11 in)
      Width as measured at top: 3 cm (1.2 in)
      Width as measured at base: 15 cm (5.9 in)
      Thickness as measured when full: 8 cm (3.2 in)
      MSRP: $ 5.25 (as stated on the website)

      Product Description:
      The Platypus is basically a simple, very sturdy plastic bag. It can be
      folded or rolled up when not in use. When full it stands by itself if placed
      upright.

      The narrow mouth of the Platypus comes with a white cap.
      The thick strong plastic does not leave a plastic taste to the water and the
      'bag' is stated to be tough enough to be frozen or used with boiling water.
      Although I never tried freezing the bottle, I have used it sometimes with
      boiling water and experienced no problems, other then I once burned myself.

      Field conditions:
      In the eight years I have used my Platypus, it was mainly used in moderate
      to hot climates (10 � 48 C, 50 � 118 F) of Mediterranean Europe, and almost
      daily the last two and a half years (may 2003 - november 2005) during my
      round the world trip, which covered South East Asia, Australia and Central
      America.

      The woodland, desert, and rocky areas did not have any influence on the use
      or performance of the water bottle. Thorns and sharp stones did not damage
      the plastic bag. Dirt on the outside was easily washed and/or wiped off with
      a piece of cloth.

      I never had any problems with germ growth during or after prolonged use. The
      inside of the neck of the bottle was cleaned with a piece of toilet paper
      when necessary.

      As a matter of preventing problems, I cleaned the Platypus on the inside by
      mixing a few drops of iodine with water, shaking and rinsing the bottle
      afterward. No coloration or difference in taste appeared afterwards.

      Filling any flexible water container from a pond or stream requires a bit of
      adaptation. The water from the stream or pond compresses the side of the
      bottle when submerged and therefore is not as easy to fill as a hard-bodied
      water bottle. Manipulating the bottle width, angle and air space with both
      hands is one option to fill it. Another way is to fill the container with
      the help of a cup and to pour it from cup to the Platypus or use the hose
      from a water filter and pump it from the pond/stream through the filter into
      the bottle.

      Filling the Platypus with the narrow opening with a cup or water filter is
      not as easy as with a wide mouth water container. Keeping a long hose from
      the water filter in the bottle makes filling easier. Another option to ease
      the filling is using a small funnel.

      The standard cap makes it possible though to replace the original cap with
      any cap from a soft drink bottle, or with a cheap 'push � pull cap'.

      The dimensions of the Platypus make it easy to hand carry it while walking.
      Stowing it in the side pockets of a backpack, inside a daypack, trouser or
      jacket pocket is no problem either, although personally I do not like to
      carry a full bottle in a pocket of my trouser or jacket.

      On some daytrips I like to carry just a 'hip bag', and unfortunately the 1
      liter Play bottle is difficult to fit in most standard holsters on a hip bag
      or other belt holsters I have encountered in most outdoorstores.

      the hard-bodied bottles I know, wether full or empty. It also leaves no
      plastic taste in the water. Definitely an item that I will take on any trip
      or would replace.

      Things I like:
      1. Lightweight
      2. Strong
      3. Easy to replace caps in remote locations or countries without outdoor
      equipment stores
      4. Space saver when empty
      5.No plastic taste

      Things I don't like:
      1. Narrow mouth makes filling 'difficult'
      2. Does not fit in standard belt 'holsters'

      mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
      email: gonewalkabout2003@...

      http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
      http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2006
        Johan, thanks for reposting your OR. i have only two edits for you.
        once you make these two fixes, you may upload your OR to the test
        folder on the BGT website. if you have any problems with your html or
        with uploading, please consult the BGTfileuploadhelp list, which can
        be found here:

        now, on to your edits.

        > Europe which *probably* means a bit heavier (clothes, sleeping etc)
        then I
        > strive to hike.

        edit: "...than i strive to hike."

        > boiling water and experienced no problems, other then I once burned
        myself.

        edit: "...other than I once burned myself."

        that's it! please upload to the test folder when ready and post a
        notification to the list so that i can look at it and approve it for
        publication. thanks!

        -colleen