OWNER REVIEW - (Snow Peak: Giga Power Stove (GS-100A)

  • Daniel Logan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      Snow Peak: Giga Power Stove (GS-100A)

      Personal Information:
      Name: Daniel Logan
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'1" (1.87 meters)
      Weight: 160 lb (73 kilos)
      E-Mail: Daniellogan11@...
      City: Salt Lake City
      State: Utah
      Country: USA
      Date: November 7, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      While growing up I spent a lot of time in the outdoors. I have been backpacking ever since I was a young kid. I was introduced to the outdoors by my father, and have been hooked to the outdoors ever since. I have spent most of my backpacking in the Rocky Mountains. I do a lot of backpacking in Utah’s Unita Mountains, where I have experienced many extreme weather conditions of all seasons. I have many years of experience backpacking and plan to add on many more years.

      Product Information
      Brand: Snow Peak
      Year of manufacture: (Purchased in 2000)
      Model: GS-100A
      Listed Weight: 3.75oz (105g)
      Weight as delivered: 3.75oz(105g)
      Dimensions: 4-1/8"d x 2-5/8" ( 10.5 cm x 6.7 cm)
      Case: 1-1/2 x 2 x 3-1/2"h ( 4.4 cm x 5.1 cm x 8.9 cm)
      Material: Stainless steel, Aluminum/Brass
      Fuel: Isobutane or Primus butane/propane with canister
      MSRP: $49.95

      Product Description:
      This is a backpackers dream stove. Being super light I couldn’t even notice I was carrying it. The fuel is small and light. With 10,000 BTU of output, this will boil water in 3.5 minutes, and can last over 90 min of burn time. The stove has a built-in igniter that sends out an electric spark to start the flame once the gas is turned on. The stove performs great in cold conditions and with no hassle of priming or pumping your fuel. The stove has four fold-out wires to provide support for most sizes of backpacking pots. Thus being collapsible the stove can be stored in any small pocket. This stove is simple and easy to operate, one will never have a problem with trying to light or use the stove.

      Field Use:
      This stove so far has been my favorite stove to use on any backpacking trip. This stove is very small and easy to use. I was impressed about the quality of the stove. I had no fuel linkage problems. The auto lighter is very convenient where I didn’t spend time searching for a lighter. Plus at times when I forgot any matches or lighters this stove proved to be a great lifesaver for starting fires. This stove has operated in most of all conditions. The highest elevation the stove has operated was on Kings Peak Utah which is 13.526 feet or 4123 meters. The stove had no problems and I can see will work fine in other elevations as well. In the end the stove turned out to be very enjoyable and will continue to use on my trips.

      Pros:

      • Small and very light
      • Very durable
      • Great BTU output for the given size!
      • Handles most of all backpacking pots
      • Fuel lasts a long time with short boiling time
      • Fuel is not pumped and doesn’t leak

      Cons:

      • Not all stores supply the fuel.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the yahoo group list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer