REPOST: Owner Review - Gerber Paraframe II - Andrew Buskov

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2005
      Roger,

      Here's the edits you were wanting. I also uploaded a few pictures. The html
      is here: http://tinyurl.com/bodfu

      Also, in response to your question about the hex nuts, they are definitely
      hex and not torx. I tried every sized metric and standard hex I had, and
      none of them seemed to fit just right. I'm wondering if they used a non
      standard size screw just so people won't disassemble it.

      Anyway, thanks for the edit!

      Andrew

      Owner Review - Gerber Paraframe II

      Andrew Buskov

      December 12, 2005

      Tester Biography:

      Name: Andrew Buskov

      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 212 lb (96 kg)
      Email: Rescue9@...
      Location: Madisonville, Kentucky USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I started backpacking when I was about 8 and quickly became hooked on the
      outdoors. My initial experience was with short weekend trips, mostly during
      the summer months. I began taking longer trips and realized that I enjoy
      being out in the winter more. I have hiked a variety of environments ranging
      from Mt. Katahdin in late fall to Mount Charleston, outside Las Vegas. As an
      EMT, I have been trained to be prepared at all times so my pack tends to be
      on the heavy side, and I prefer hiking moderately difficult terrain.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Gerber

      Manufacture Date: 2003

      <http://www.gerbergear.com/>

      Specified Weight: 4.2 oz (119 g)

      Actual Weight: 4.1 oz (116 g)

      Length Closed: 4.8 in (12.2 cm)

      Length Open: 8.3 in (20.9 cm)

      Blade Length: 3.5 in (8.9 cm)

      For the purpose of this review I will base all information herein on the
      serrated edge version of the Paraframe. The Gerber Paraframe II is a folding
      clip style knife. A clip style knife is one in which the blade slants toward
      the tip rather than the back edge of the blade being flat its entire length.
      It has a high carbon stainless steel blade for increased strength, and a
      stainless steel handle body. The knife is built around the framelock design
      which uses a portion of the handle, or frame, to act as the locking
      mechanism when the blade is open.

      Inspection:

      The Paraframe came packaged in a small grey and orange box and wrapped in
      plastic. Included within was information on the knife and the Gerber
      warranty policy. The knife felt quite light in my hand due to the
      construction of the handle. There are numerous cutouts in the handle to
      eliminate weight while still providing durability. The serrated edge is
      composed of both wide and narrow serrations, and the blade has a thumb stud
      to assist in single handed opening.

      Testing Environments:

      I've carried this knife with me on almost every outing I've been since I
      received it. Testing environments ranged from rocky, mountainous conditions
      in the Smokies, to flat level ground in southern Illinois. Temperature
      variations were from 20 F (-7 C) to 100 F (38 C), and weather conditions
      ranged from no rain and completely dry, to nothing but rain and completely
      wet.

      Field Use:

      I have this knife to cut everything from web strapping to hemp rope, to
      punch holes in cans, and to pick away at ice during my various outings. I
      was especially pleased with how easily and quickly I was able to cut thick
      kernmantle ropes without having frayed ends everywhere. I did find that,
      because of the blade length, using this knife with thick braided hemp ropes
      was difficult. In order to cut the ropes I needed to use a sawing motion
      that tended to fray the rope more when it snagged on the serrations.

      I thought the knife did I fair job of cutting down a walking stick, although
      it was a longer process due to the serrations on the blade. I think a
      non-serrated blade would have been better to use for this process. I was
      surprised at how well the edge held up under extreme conditions. The knife
      was even dropped more than a few times on gravel or large rocks, but the
      blade held its shape and didn't dull easily. I was also extremely surprised
      to find the tip held up when I attempted to use it as an ice pick. I've
      broken the tips off a few other blades during this process before. The tip
      was not bent or deformed in any way when I used the knife to punch holes in
      aluminum or steel cans. I've also used this knife at work to break glass in
      emergency situations without damaging the knife in any way.

      Opening the knife is a simple one handed operation, though I did need to
      loosen the tensioning screw a bit to make it as easy as I wanted. Once the
      blade is fully extended, the framelock engages. This keeps the blade
      extended for protection during cutting work. I found that even though the
      handle is the primary locking mechanism, I was unable to accidentally close
      the blade through various hand movements and handling situations. I needed
      to have my hands in just the right placement and have the intent of closing
      the blade to actually work the mechanism.

      Closing the blade is also a one handed operation. When you disengage the
      framelock using your thumb, the blade can be easily closed using your index
      finger. Even though I loosened the tensioning screw, the blade does not
      flop out on its own due to a notch and pin design. On the blade itself is a
      drilled out notch that allows a tiny pin on the framelock handle to seat
      when the blade is closed. This is just enough tension to keep the blade
      closed while not being too much tension to hinder single handed operation.

      I've found that even though the knife is made of stainless steel, there does
      appear to be some surface rust on both the blade and handle. I have cleaned
      this knife many times, and the surface rust comes off easily. The only
      problem that I have is surface rust that is developing on the inside of the
      frame, and between the frame and blade at the pivot point. I have taken the
      knife apart completely to clean it, but have noticed that this is becoming
      increasingly hard as the hex heads appear to be made out of a softer metal
      and are easily stripped.

      I have noticed that the dull coating has worn completely away on parts of
      the blade from use. The coating has also been scratched away from areas on
      the pocket clip from being bumped into trees, rocks, and during various
      activities at work.

      I also noticed that the blade is hard to sharpen with a simple stone. This
      could be due to the hardness of the blade, but I found this to be acceptable
      in relation to how well the blade held up under normal circumstances. It's
      my experience that a professional with a grinder, and all the necessary
      attachments designed to sharpen blades, is the best route.

      I initially bought this knife as an all purpose knife that I could easily
      conceal, but have since found it an invaluable tool on both the trails and
      at work. I was well pleased with the construction design, as well as the
      quality of materials used. I do however think that the quality of the screws
      needs to be upgraded to allow the user to disassemble the knife for cleaning
      without worrying about stripping the heads out when reassembling. I liked
      the easy one handed operation, and found the pin and notch design to be
      invaluable for keeping the blade secured when closed. I wasn't too happy
      about the fact that there is surface rust developing on this knife, but
      found that cleaning was easy on exposed areas.

      Items I was pleased with:

      1. Easy one handed operation during both opening and closing.

      2. Hardened steel blade withstood multiple drops and incorrect uses
      without breaking.

      3. Pin and notch design to keep the blade closed.

      I think the following issues need to be addressed to better improve quality:

      1. Disassembly needs to be easier to properly clean.

      2. Hex screws need to be stronger.

      3. Hard to sharpen.