REPOST Clint Howard Owner Review - Sierra Designs Omega 3/4 Season Tent

  • CLINT HOWARD
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2005
      Name: Clint Howard

      Age: 32

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5'10" (1.78 m)

      Weight: 180 (82 kg) **

      Email Address: HowardCJatGmaildotcom <HowardCJ@...> **

      Geographical Data: Warrenton, VA. USA

      Date: December 07, 2005

      Backpacking background: I have been hiking for 6 years, mostly in Virginia
      and West Virginia. Most of my hikes have been weekend overnight trips, with
      the longest camping trip to date lasting 5 days. Typically I trek on trails
      ranging from easy to rocky and steep, occasionally venturing off trail on
      moderate terrain. My gear focus is usually on relatively lightweight items
      that are quick and easy to use and ideally have multiple purposes.

      Product Information: Sierra Designs Omega 3/4 Season Tent

      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs
      Year of Manufacture: 1997
      Trail weight as listed by Manufacturer : 6 lb 13 oz (3.09 kg) Listed by
      Manufacturer

      Packed Size: 20" x 7" (.51 m x .18 m)
      Number of doors: 1

      Interior Area: 37 sq ft (3.44 sq m)

      Vestibule Area: 12 sq ft (1.11 sq m) **

      Peak Height as listed by Manufacturer: 40.5" ( 1.03 m)
      MSRP: $289.95

      Sierra Designs Omega is a two person, single wall, freestanding dome tent.
      I used this tent most recently for a three day camp in Coopers Rock State
      Park, West Virginia. The camp site is located in a mountainous region and
      the weather was 40 F (4.44 C) degrees with a cloudy and overcast sky. The
      third and final day of the camp brought a downpour of rain that lasted for
      about 12 hours. The tent was pitched on a comfy bed of rocks and tree
      limbs.

      The packaging for the Omega is great, the stuff sack holds the tent and rain

      fly, and also accommodates the three tent poles and stakes, each of which
      has
      their own bag. The tent fabric is 70D Taffeta Ripstop Nylon. The Omega
      itself is visually impressive, the tent is gray and white, has one door and
      a very large skylight. The rain fly is orange and blue in color, and has
      a built-in window, which is very handy for looking outside to see what the
      weather is doing. Pitching the tent is very straightforward, however the
      package directions only featured a diagram of the tent and seemed to
      unnecessarily complicate the set up process. I was able to go to Sierra
      Designs website and download user-friendly directions that included step by
      step instructions. *
      *
      As I mentioned the set up is very easy, each tent pole is connected by a
      bungee cord, which ensures that the pole sections stay together. The three
      poles
      fit into grommets attached to the tent. To finish, attach the clips on
      the tent to the pole framework. The Omega is a free-standing tent that has
      elevated
      floor seams, which basically mean that instead of being flush with the
      ground,
      they sit about four inches higher. This feature is designed to prevent
      water
      leakage at the seams.

      The interior of the tent is very spacious and includes clips for a gear loft
      (purchased separately) and two side pockets to hold small amount of gear.
      The
      rain fly is well designed and has a small vestibule, which could
      accommodate a pack and hiking boots.

      I have used the Omega several times for multiple trip lengths; in about
      every
      climate except heavy snow. I think the Omega is by far the best tent I
      have ever owned. After copious practice, I can pitch this tent in less
      than ten minutes
      or in low light situations due to the ease of set up. Since the tent is
      rated for 3/4 seasons, it tends to be a bit on the heavy side. On several
      trips I have left the rain fly at home, which puts the tent weight between
      ultra
      and middleweight tents.

      Sierra Designs claims that the Omega's seams are factory sealed, and I have
      found this to be mostly true. In very heavy rain I have found two very
      small
      leaks that disappeared after I seam sealed the tent. In fact other than a
      slight weight problem, the only other minor flaw is condensation in the
      tent. When the rain fly is on and the tent's vent flaps are sealed (as is
      the
      case in inclement weather), condensation builds up very rapidly. I found
      that as
      long I kept the vents slightly open, it mostly dissipated. During heavy
      downpours I found it necessary to stake the rain fly away from the sides of
      the tent so condensation won't leach through the tent walls.

      To sum, the Omega is an excellent tent. This tent is rugged, durable and
      stands up in all climates. The Omega is roomy, easily fitting two medium
      sized adults. I highly recommend this tent for 3/4
      season camping.

      Things I like:
      1. Too many to count. *
      *2. Ease of set up.
      3. Durability. **

      4. Vestibule window on rain fly.

      5. Excellent quality and construction.

      Things I don't like:
      1. Tent ventilation/condensation.
      2. Small vestibule.

    • nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2006
        Clint -

        This is looking good overall. Just a few more minor things, one more
        repost, and we should be set.

        With the holidays out of the way and the BGT site back up and running
        for uploads, I should be able to approve this within a day or so of
        your reposting.

        As before, just repost with "REPOST" included in the subject.

        Thanks for the review!

        - Steve

        [EDITS FOLLOW]

        Trail weight as listed by Manufacturer : 6 lb 13 oz (3.09 kg) Listed by
        Manufacturer
        ***EDIT: "listed by..." is repeated. It would be great for you to
        weigh it yourself, and put what you find here as well. Any other
        measurements you want to validate would be useful as well.

        I used this tent most recently for a three day camp in Coopers Rock State
        Park, West Virginia. The camp site is located in a mountainous region and
        the weather was 40 F (4.44 C) degrees with a cloudy and overcast sky. The
        third and final day of the camp brought a downpour of rain that lasted for
        about 12 hours. The tent was pitched on a comfy bed of rocks and tree
        limbs.
        ***EDIT SUGGESTION: This might be the better place for your statement
        below that notes you've used it a number of times, in a number of
        conditions. As with the overview of the tent, starting with the
        overview/summary helps readers understand the overall experience your
        review is based on. The specifics for the Coopers Rock trip could go
        with wherever you talk about things you learned on that trip.

        [Three separate locations:]

        Vestibule Area: 12 sq ft (1.11 sq m) **

        I was able to go to Sierra
        Designs website and download user-friendly directions that included
        step by
        step instructions. *
        *

        1. Too many to count. *
        *2. Ease of set up.
        3. Durability. **

        ***EDIT QUESTION: Do these asterisks refer to anything? I note them in
        several spots throughout the review, and they should be removed if
        they don't serve a purpose.

        [END OF EDITS]