Under Owner Review - Hex 3 edit

  • TimT
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2005
      Hi,

      I saw a few things I wanted to change so I made them. You can
      disregard the the first one. I hope the punctuation is getting
      through because it gets lost when sent to me. If you feel I should
      elaborate on some things I can. My idea of a review is short and
      sweet so I can move on to the next. I don't like to read.

      Kindest Regards,
      tim todd

      Here is the review with my own revisions:

      Tester Biography as 8-Dec-05

      Tim Todd
      Kingston, WA - USA
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.8 m)
      tim@...
      Age: 42
      Weight: 182 lb (82.5 k)

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been backpacking since 1969. My main camping seasons are
      autumn, winter, and spring. Though I do camp in summer, it is usually
      too hot for me. I write a camping column in our local paper every
      month that focuses primarily on lightweight and efficient
      backpacking. Depending on the party and season my pack can weigh from
      7lbs to 26lbs with provisions. I love to experiment and create my own
      camping gear. My two Australian Shepherds always hike with me. I have
      worked with WTA building and maintaining trails. At the very least,
      every Sunday is reserved for a wilderness hike where daily life is
      not allowed interrupt. I try to get away for 3 days two times a month.

      REVIEWED PRODUCT:

      GOLITE HEX 3 TENT
      * Manufacturer: Golite
      * www.golite.com
      * Purchase Year: Fall 2002

      SPECIFICATIONS:
      4-season, 3-person
      Height: 66" (168 cm)
      Area: 65 sq ft (6m2)
      Weight: 47oz (2.9lb / 1332g), with pole and 12 tent stakes.
      Actual Weight: 45oz (2.8lb / 1275g), with pole and 12 tent stakes.
      Material: SiLite, (Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon)

      FEATURES:
      * Waterproof
      * Hexagonal shape sheds elements
      * Adjustable Easton aluminum pole
      * Top Loop
      * 2 Large Roof Vents
      * Door Zipper
      * Reflective Stake Out Loops
      * Floorless Design
      * 9 "Y" Stakes
      * SiLite Stow Sack

      MANUFACTURER'S DESCRIPTION:
      Ultra-lite, expedition-ready, and simple to pitch, the Hex 3 is a
      model of backcountry versatility! This 4-season teepee-style shelter
      sheds wind and weather brilliantly and can be used by itself, with
      the Hex 3 Floor, or with the Hex 3 Nest inner bug tent. You can pitch
      it with the micro-adjustable Easton(r) aluminum pole included, over a
      paddle or ski pole, or hang it from a branch via its top loop. Dual
      roof vents provide excellent airflow, and reflective stake out loops
      keep you from tripping in the middle of the night.

      FIELD INFORMATION:

      LOCATIONS USED:
      * Olympic National Forest, Washington State
      o Terrain varies from snow to rocky.
      * Bitterroot National Forest, Montana
      o The terrain was 8 inches of snow.
      * Mt. Hood, Oregon
      o Terrain was either snow or soft soil.

      REVIEWS:

      First Use:

      All new gear I get is always tested at home first on my seven
      wooded acres. The incident was quite uneventful. All corners were
      staked out, the pole set in place, and there it was just like in the
      picture. Very simple except for one detail - I have yet to achieve a
      perfectly round base. Maybe my eyes are crooked, I don't know.
      Fortunately the lack of perfect roundness is only aesthetic and in no
      way a hindrance to its performance.
      Once I was satisfied and confident about the Hex 3, we ventured
      into the wilderness on a partly sunny day. My wife, two dogs and I.
      The tent setup just like at home. My wife was happy but concerned
      about the "no floor" feature. I use tarps a lot when camping solo and
      the Hex 3 was meant to bridge a gap between tent and tarp that my
      wife would approve of since she prefers a tent. She was happily
      surprised. We all had more than enough room and slept comfortably.
      However, she still prefers a traditional tent with "no-seeum" mesh.
      That meant purchasing the Hex 3 Nest Inner Tent that is all
      mesh with a floor and an additional 2 pounds 6 ounces to the weight
      of the entire Hex 3 package. All in all it's a small price to pay to
      keep my significant other happy. In an effort to compromise in the
      weight category, we now use the Golite Trig 2 shelter. I usually
      reach for the Hex 3 when traveling with friends and in the winter.

      Second Use and Beyond:

      I am a believer in the teepee design. Its ability to offer
      height and huge floor space is perfect for my camping needs
      consisting of canines. The cone shape is ideal for shedding any kind
      of weather one might encounter without the need to determine what
      direction it should be pitched. Heavy winds can consume it from any
      point leaving no or little effect to the tent.
      The Hex 3 has become my winter and foul weather tent because of
      its durability, functionality, and weight. Because the Hex 3 is
      basically a tarp I have been unlimited in how or where it is set up.
      This shelter is single walled. What this means is that it does
      collect condensation easily. Though the two large vents at the top
      help some, in order to be effective, they need to be even larger. I
      am not bothered by condensation; it is nature and part of the
      experience. One thing I can say is that no matter how wet, windy, or
      snow packed my outings became this tent as never put me in a
      dangerous position by allowing any of those elements inside.
      Condensation as never dripped on me, water has never filled the
      floor, and snow has never crept inside - With the exception of what
      my dogs' drug inside.
      That said I feel it important to relay an experiment I did at
      my house. A heavy rainstorm blew in a year or so ago that lasted
      three days with winds at 45 - 50 mph. I set up my tarp and the Hex 3
      side by side as the storm began and watch it pound both shelters for
      its duration. It amazed me to find that the tarp out performed the
      Hex 3. There was a good inch of water in various puddles on the Hex 3
      floor whereas the ground under the tarp was completely dry.
      After reporting this discovery to Golite they asked me to
      return the Hex 3 and they sent me a new one within a week. I was
      impressed with their service. Since then I have camped in the same
      situation as my test and in both cases the Hex 3 was watertight this
      time.

      SUMMARY:

      Does the Hex 3 function as it was intended? A definite YES! Is
      the Hex 3 the perfect shelter? No shelter made today can make that
      claim yet. Is it for everyone? No. If given a chance I am positive it
      would appeal to more hikers though. All too often we categorize
      everything as positive or negative. I don't like doing that because
      in most cases a person's con is actually another's pro. I will list a
      few traits in given situations so that a person can make an educated
      decision about this product.
      It is especially vital to realize that lightweight gear demands
      knowledgeable responsibility of how, when, and where the gear can be
      used. The Golite Hex 3 is lightweight gear so use caution and respect
      for nature when using this shelter. As with all single walled
      shelters the Hex 3 works best when a person understands the nature of
      condensation so I would highly recommend studying this subject. I
      have tried to list everything I have experienced in this shelter but
      I may have forgotten something. If so, I am sorry.

      A Warm Clear Night:
      * It's nice, sleep outside and watch the stars.
      * There won't be any condensation.
      * Airflow will be great so it will match what is outside.
      * There is no bug netting so if this is a concern you will need
      the Hex 3 Nest.
      * The optional Hex 3 Nest is awesome on clear nights. There is
      a 360-degree view of the surroundings and protection from insects.

      Early In The Morning:
      * As long as and individual have not camped in a low stagnate
      area or near water there will be no or very little condensation.

      A Wet Night:
      * There will be some condensation so camp and sleep in a way
      that will minimize it. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation
      * Remember the tent is a cone shape, when the door is unzipped,
      which is bottom to top; the center of the tent is exposed to rain.

      Snow:
      * Condensation is a given but fortunately it is frozen and will
      only be ice crystal that can be shaken off in the morning.
      * Remember the tent is a cone shape, when the door is unzipped,
      which is bottom to top; the center of the tent is exposed to snow.
      * Tap the side of the tent to let snow slide down before
      opening the door.
      * Wide snow stake or snow anchors are imperative in setting the
      tent up.
      * It is a single walled shelter, there is absolutely no
      insulating value to the tent - It will be cold unless the proper gear
      is utilized.
      * The optional footprint works wonders, I highly recommend it.

    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
        Tim,

        hi! i'm in charge of editing your OR for the Hex 3. i apologize for
        taking so long to get it edited. between the holidays & my
        computer/connection problems, i have fallen way behind. i will have
        it edited this week. again, i apologize and thank you for your patience.

        -colleen
      • nivaun
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
          Good Morning Colleen,

          Don't stress over the OR, just relax and enjoy yourself. I am in no hurry and am sure it will
          get done when it gets done.

          Kindest Regards,
          -tim

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball" <tarbubble@y...> wrote:

          > Tim,
          >
          > hi! i'm in charge of editing your OR for the Hex 3. i apologize for
          > taking so long to get it edited. between the holidays & my
          > computer/connection problems, i have fallen way behind. i will have
          > it edited this week. again, i apologize and thank you for your patience.
          >
          > -colleen

        • Emma Eyeball
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
            Hi Tim,

            here are your edits. you have taken a somewhat unique approach in
            your OR with the section at the end, and i like what you've done. you
            just need a little sculpting. once you have incorporated the edits,
            re-post your OR and we'll go from there. thanks so much!

            > Weight: 182 lb (82.5 k)

            edit: the proper abbreviation for kilograms is "kg."

            > Backpacking Background:

            edit: your biography is 121 words. the maximum is 100.

            > every Sunday is reserved for a wilderness hike where daily life is
            > not allowed interrupt. I try to get away for 3 days two times a

            edit: "allowed to interrupt."

            > Area: 65 sq ft (6m2)

            edit: (6 m2)

            > FEATURES:

            question: are you quoting the features directly from GoLite's site?
            there's nothing wrong with that, but if you are you need to mention it.

            > MANUFACTURER'S DESCRIPTION:

            edit: we want to hear YOUR description. we have very few ironclad
            rules, but one of them is that you must have a paragraph titled
            "Product Description," and that it must be your description, not the
            manufacturer's.

            > FIELD INFORMATION:
            >
            > LOCATIONS USED:
            > * Olympic National Forest, Washington State
            > o Terrain varies from snow to rocky.
            > * Bitterroot National Forest, Montana
            > o The terrain was 8 inches of snow.
            > * Mt. Hood, Oregon
            > o Terrain was either snow or soft soil.

            edit: in your Field Conditions section, you must include altitude,
            temperature ranges (approximates are OK, but of course the more
            accurate the better), terrain, and weather conditions.

            > REVIEWS:
            >
            > First Use:
            >
            > All new gear I get is always tested at home first on my seven
            > wooded acres. The incident was quite uneventful. All corners were
            > staked out, the pole set in place, and there it was just like in the
            > picture. Very simple except for one detail - I have yet to achieve a
            > perfectly round base. Maybe my eyes are crooked, I don't know.
            > Fortunately the lack of perfect roundness is only aesthetic and in no
            > way a hindrance to its performance.

            comment: i own three single-pole shelters - one with a square
            footprint, one with an oval, and one with a circle. yes, i'm a big
            fan of this shelter type! it is nigh on to impossible to get them
            pitched symmetrically. you're not alone.

            > Once I was satisfied and confident about the Hex 3, we ventured
            > into the wilderness on a partly sunny day. My wife, two dogs and I.

            edit: your second sentence is incomplete. i would suggest combining
            the two sentences like so: "...about the Hex 3, my wife, two dogs and
            I ventured into..."

            > The tent setup just like at home.

            edit: "set up."

            My wife was happy but concerned
            > about the "no floor" feature. I use tarps a lot when camping solo and
            > the Hex 3 was meant to bridge a gap between tent and tarp that my
            > wife would approve of since she prefers a tent. She was happily
            > surprised. We all had more than enough room and slept comfortably.
            > However, she still prefers a traditional tent with "no-seeum" mesh.
            > That meant purchasing the Hex 3 Nest Inner Tent that is all
            > mesh with a floor and an additional 2 pounds 6 ounces to the weight
            > of the entire Hex 3 package. All in all it's a small price to pay to
            > keep my significant other happy. In an effort to compromise in the
            > weight category, we now use the Golite Trig 2 shelter. I usually
            > reach for the Hex 3 when traveling with friends and in the winter.

            edit #1: start your new paragraph with "However, she still prefers..."

            edit #2: "That meant purchasing the Hex 3 Nest Inner Tent, which is
            all mesh with a coated nylon floor, and which adds an additional 2
            pounds..." sorry, that was multiple edits in one. your sentence
            needed a bit of re-construction and i really think you need to specify
            that the Nest also has a nylon floor.

            > Second Use and Beyond:
            >
            > I am a believer in the teepee design. Its ability to offer
            > height and huge floor space is perfect for my camping needs
            > consisting of canines.

            suggestion: i would re-word this to say "...my needs when camping with
            canines." the original phrasing just seems a bit unwieldy.

            > help some, in order to be effective, they need to be even larger. I
            > am not bothered by condensation; it is nature and part of the
            > experience.

            comment: thanks for including your personal take/opinion on
            condensation. it's too often perceived as a negative or as something
            that can be eliminated with more perfect design (whatever that is).

            > Condensation as never dripped on me, water has never filled the
            > floor, and snow has never crept inside - With the exception of what
            > my dogs' drug inside.

            edit #1: "Condensation has never dripped..."

            edit #2: "inside - with the exception of what my dogs dragged in."

            > claim yet. Is it for everyone? No. If given a chance I am positive it
            > would appeal to more hikers though.

            suggestion: "No, but if given a chance I am positive it would appeal
            to more hikers."

            All too often we categorize
            > everything as positive or negative. I don't like doing that because
            > in most cases a person's con is actually another's pro. I will list a
            > few traits in given situations so that a person can make an educated
            > decision about this product.
            > It is especially vital to realize that lightweight gear demands
            > knowledgeable responsibility of how, when, and where the gear can be
            > used. The Golite Hex 3 is lightweight gear so use caution and respect
            > for nature when using this shelter. As with all single walled
            > shelters the Hex 3 works best when a person understands the nature of
            > condensation so I would highly recommend studying this subject. I
            > have tried to list everything I have experienced in this shelter but
            > I may have forgotten something. If so, I am sorry.

            suggestion: i would eliminate the apologetic tone. instead, why don't
            you say something like "here is a sampling of conditions I have used
            the Hex 3 in, and my experiences and thoughts on them"?

            > Early In The Morning:
            > * As long as and individual have not camped in a low stagnate
            > area or near water there will be no or very little condensation.

            edit: "As long as an individual has not camped in a low stagnant area..."

            question: when you say "stagnant," what exactly do you mean? to me,
            "stagnant" implies foul water. This makes the sentence seem a bit
            redundant.

            > A Wet Night:
            > * There will be some condensation so camp and sleep in a way
            > that will minimize it. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation

            edit: you are missing a period.

            > * Remember the tent is a cone shape, when the door is unzipped,
            > which is bottom to top; the center of the tent is exposed to rain.

            edit: this sentence is confusing. i see what you are saying but your
            punctuation choices are distracting from your meaning. maybe:
            "Remember the tent is a cone shape. When the door is unzipped, from
            the bottom up to the top, the center of the tent is then exposed to rain."

            > * Remember the tent is a cone shape, when the door is unzipped,
            > which is bottom to top; the center of the tent is exposed to snow.

            edit: same as the prior edit.

            > * Tap the side of the tent to let snow slide down before
            > opening the door.
            > * Wide snow stake or snow anchors are imperative in setting the
            > tent up.

            comment: you should check out this trip report i just saw. one of
            the folks on the trip used a Hex in an insane storm. here's a link:

            http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html

            > * It is a single walled shelter, there is absolutely no
            > insulating value to the tent - It will be cold unless the proper gear
            > is utilized.
            > * The optional footprint works wonders, I highly recommend it.

            question: are you talking about the Nest again, or the Hex 3 Floor?
            just be sure to use the proper name, to minimize confusion.