REPOST- Owner Review: Trangia Spondonical by Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi Roger,

      I have attended to the edits. Hope I have captured all of them.

      At this stage I have not uploaded to the test file with the repost version.

      Cheers

      Ralph

      Owner Review: Trangia Spondonical or Billy Grips

      Ralph Ditton

      Date of Review: 27th November, 2005

      Personal Information

      Name: Ralph Ditton

      Age: 54

      Height: 1.76 m (5ft 9 in)

      Weight: 79 kg (174 lb)

      Email: rdassetts@...

      City: Perth, Western Australia.

      Backpacking Background

      I have been walking the Bibbulmun Track in sections over four years. My

      goal is to complete the 964 km (603 mi) and become an end to end walker.

      So far I have completed approximately two-thirds of the Track from North

      to South, and a quarter in the opposite direction. I have evolved from

      carrying a heavyweight load -- approximately 28 kg (62 lb) including

      food and water--to being a midweight backpacker, averaging 18 kg (38 lb)

      at the start of a trip. My trips are usually between three to five days

      duration.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Trangia

      Made in: Sweden

      Year of Manufacturer: Not stated

      Model: 602510

      Material: Aluminium

      Listed Weight: Not stated

      Manufacturer's URL: http://www.trangia.se

      MSRP: Not listed

      My Measurements

      Weight: 47 g (1.66 oz)

      Length: Top handle 105 mm (4.13 in)

      Bottom handle 125 mm (4.92 in)

      Width: Top handle 24 mm (0.94 in)

      Bottom handle 19 mm (0.55 in)

      Diameter of Notch formed for rounded rims when

      handles are closed: 4.5 mm (0.18 in)

      Diameter of Notch formed when handles

      are fully open: 8 mm (0.31 in)

      Product Description

      The spondonical is a tool designed to grip onto pots, billies, bowls,

      frying pans and lids to lift them off a stove when hot and to hold them

      to prevent spilling when stirring the food being cooked. It has the

      appearance of a pair of pliers with a bent head

      The top handle (refer to picture below) has eight small holes of 5 mm

      (0.2 in) with four aligned along each edge and four larger holes with a

      diameter of 11.5 mm (0.45 in) down the centre of the handle.

      The bottom handle also has eight holes of 6 mm (0.24 in) aligned along

      each edge and four larger holes with a diameter of 9.5 mm (0.37 in) down

      the centre of the handle

      .

      top view of spondonical

      top view of the spondonical

      The manufacturer claims that the holes in the spondonical minimize both

      heat conduction and weight. I have never felt any heat from the stove

      through the handle, even when holding onto a frying pan for lengthy

      periods cooking sausages and bacon.

      The notch formed in the jaws of the head is designed to fit over folded

      rims on billies, pots, bowls, pans and frying pans and grip them when I

      squeeze the handles together.This lets me hold the object to stir food

      or lift off a stove.

      spondonical gripping bowl

      spondonical gripping bowl

      The shank of the top handle is 17.5 mm (0.69 in) long and this rests

      against the side of objects with deep sides giving stability to the

      object being lifted or held in place. The shank of the bottom handle is

      13 mm (0.51 in) and this shank goes on the inside of the object being

      lifted or held in place.

      jaws of spondonical

      jaws of spondonical

      Field Use

      I have owned a spondonical for about five years and it has been used on

      every camping trip where cooking has been required. Last year I

      purchased another spondonical because with two stoves going at the same

      time and a friend helping me cook, it is much easier to have two

      implements on hand when needed. On the odd occasion when I have boiled

      up a large volume of water in a bowl, it is much safer to use the two

      spondonicals at the same time, one on either side , to lift the hot bowl

      off the stove and avoid an accident of spilling/dropping the bowl of

      boiling water.

      Apart from lifting hot containers off stoves, I also use the spondonical

      to remove lids from my bowls and billy

      lifting lid off bowl

      lifting lid off bowl

      lifting lid off billy

      lifting lid off billy

      As can be seen in the above photo, the spondonical can fit into the

      handle section of a billy lid. This method of removing the lid aids in

      generating greater pulling power which helps me overcome the slight

      vacuum inside the billy caused by the steam inside cooling down if the

      billy has gone off the boil. This sometimes happens when the water

      boils quicker than I expected and I am not fully ready.

      Only once have I had a problem in not being able to remove a lid from a

      bowl because I let the bowl cool down with the lid in place. The bowl,

      in cooling, contracted and formed a perfect seal with the lid due to the

      lower pressure inside the bowl. I could not pull it off with my hands,

      protected with cloth, or using the spondonical. The only way around it

      was to heat the bowl up again to get the bowl to expand slightly and

      break the seal and I removed the lid with the spondonical as it was

      extremely hot.

      Another method of removing my billy lid that I use successfully is to

      use the side of the shanks and place one side under the handle and lift

      the lid off. This way I can generate a twisting action to break the

      vacuum of the billy and lid.

      using shank to lift lid

      using shank to lift lid

      To cut down on weight, this year I have left my lids at home and now use

      my stove's radiation shield as a lid. It is made out of aluminum foil

      from a baking dish and I use it as a radiation shield when cooking with

      a large frying pan. To keep the lid in place, I place the spondonical on

      top and that way I always know where the spondonical is and not lost

      amongst the clutter on the camp table, especially when other people are

      using the table at the same time preparing their meals.

      spondonical on top of radiation shield/lid

      spondonical on top of radiation shield/lid

      I have found it necessary to use the spondonical as a handle on a frying

      pan when cooking sausages, bacon, steak and onions due to the constant

      stirring and turning of the food. When I do not hang onto the frying

      pan, it can come off the stove in an ungainly manner, causing much

      gnashing of teeth. This has happened on three occasions when the support

      arm of the stove moved out of position, tipping the frying pan onto the

      table and spilling the food.

      hanging onto the fry pan with the spondonical

      hanging onto the frying pan using the spondonical

      turning food and using spondonical

      turning food and using spondonical

      As a lot of spondonicals look similar, especially when a number of

      people are cooking their meals at the same time, I have engraved my

      spondonicals with my initials to prevent them from growing legs. With my

      initials I can examine the other spondonicals to find mine as I have

      experienced that a number of people will grab the nearest one to hand to

      use with their cooking. There have been occasions when other campers did

      not have a spondonical due to either being a novice or having left

      theirs at home and they will ask to borrow mine. I wised up very quickly

      that I needed to be able to identify my spondonical, hence the engraving

      of my initials on the inside of the bottom handle near the axis. The

      spondonical can take a lot of physical abuse such as being dropped,

      stood on in the dark (when I did not know it had fallen onto the

      ground), dropped into a fire ring with a fire going (used a stick to

      lift it out very quickly. The holes in the handles provided a lifting spot).

      Likes

      Lightweight

      Indestructible

      Essential

      Comfortable to use

      Reasonably priced

      Dislikes

      None

      Cleaning

      I give the spondonical a good wash in soapy water when I get home to

      remove any grime and/or food particles that may have adhered to the

      tool, then I let it air dry on the kitchen sink drying/draining rack. On

      the odd occasion when the spondonical gets grubby out in the field, I

      wash it in my washing up water or in plain warm water if I do not have

      any warm/hot washing water available.

      Would I purchase another

      I already purchased a second spondonical, so I now always take the two

      with me on bushwalks. I consider the spondonical an essential piece of

      camping equipment as I do not want to have my fingers scalded/burnt from

      hot cooking vessels and I find it awkward trying to use cloth to lift a

      hot pot from a stove or hang onto a frying pan when cooking.