Repost: OR - GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick 5-Piece Cookset

  • bigdawgryan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
      Colleen,

      Thank you for the constructive feedback. I have incorporated your
      comments in the following OR. Upon your direction, I am ready to post
      an html version for review and comment.

      GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick 5-Piece Cookset

      Owner Review November 18, 2005

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Ryan L. Christensen
      Age: 41
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      Weight: 225 lb (102 kg)
      Email address: bigdawgryan@...
      City, State, Country: Idaho Falls, ID, U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began hiking, camping, backpacking at twelve, and continued until
      25. After a long hiatus due in part to a bad back, I resumed hiking
      and camping three years ago. Now, I have teen-age boys with whom I
      share my love for these sports. The past three years, we have hiked,
      or camped, nearly every month, year-round. We vary our experience:
      desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; in the spring, summer, fall, and
      winter; be it sunshine, rain, wind, or snow. Together we began
      backpacking this summer. I am not an ultra-light packer; I carry a
      full array of gear.

      Field Information:

      I have used my Hard Anodized Extreme cook set on numerous backpacking
      and camping trips. I primarily camp in southeastern Idaho.
      Occasionally, I venture into Grand Teton National Park, which is
      located in western Wyoming, or Yellowstone National Park, which is
      located in eastern Idaho, western Montana, and western Wyoming. The
      elevations of the areas where I usually camp range from 5,500 feet
      (2,000 m) to 8,500 feet (3,000 m) above sea level. The summers in
      these areas are usually dry and warm (80 to the upper 90 F (27-32 C).
      Winters are usually cold and snow depths vary from the high-plains
      desert to the higher elevations. Springs can be somewhat cold and wet.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors

      Year of Manufacture: 2005

      Manufacturer's Listed Weight: 27.2 oz (771 g)

      Actual Weight: 26.8 oz (760 g) [cook set, gripper, strap, mesh bag]

      Material of Construction: anodized aluminum

      Capacity: 1 qt (.95 L)
      1.5 qt (1.4 L)
      1 qt (.95 L) lid/fry pan = 22 oz (651 ml) of liquid
      1.5 qt (1.4 L) lid/fry pan = 30 oz (887 ml) of liquid

      Dimensions: 1 qt (.95 L) pot = 6.25" (16 cm) diameter; 2.75" (7 cm)
      deep
      1 qt (.95 L) lid/fry pan = 6.25" (16 cm) diameter, 1.5 (4 cm) deep
      1.5 qt (1.4 L) pot = 7.5" (19 cm) diameter; 3.5" (9 cm) deep
      1.5 qt (1.4 L) lid/fry pan = 7.5" (19 cm) diameter; 1.5 (4 cm) deep

      Color: gunmetal grey exterior; black interior

      MSRP : $59.95 US

      Product Description:

      The cook set includes a 1 qt (.95 L) pot and its accompanying 6.25"
      (16 cm) diameter lid/fry pan, a 1.5 qt (1.4 L) pot and its
      accompanying 6.25" (16 cm) diameter lid/fry pan, a DiamondBack
      Gripper, an elastic strap with hooks on each end, and a nylon-mesh
      carrying bag with drawstring. A sheet listing cookware details and a
      few recipes is also included. The pots and pans nest well inside each
      other. The elastic strap attaches to the brackets on each side of the
      largest pot to secure the lid to the pot, thereby holding the nested
      set together. The cook set then fits nicely inside the nylon-mesh
      carrying bag.

      Taking up backpacking this summer with my teen-age sons, I was in the
      market for a durable, lightweight cook set. At the local outdoors
      store, there were several options from which to choose. Ultimately, I
      opted for the GSI Outdoors Hard Anodized Extreme Non-Stick 5-Piece
      Cookset.

      Several factors influenced my decision. The first was the anodized
      aluminum. Aluminum is lightweight, and is a good conductor of heat.
      The anodizing process hardens the aluminum, making it very resistant
      to abrasion. GSI claims it is twice as hard as stainless steel.
      Additionally, anodizing seals the aluminum, which prevents direct
      contact between the core and the food. The cook set's non-stick
      coating was the second factor to influence my decision. I really hate
      having to scrape a pan to get it clean. A third factor was the
      "spiral" turned bottoms. I thought the grooved bottoms would grip the
      pot supports of my stove better than plain flat-bottomed pans. Lids
      that double as fry pans were the fourth factor to influence my
      decision. Fifth was the DiamondBack Gripper: a cool, lightweight,
      interchangeable, folding handle for lifting pans. The gripper
      attaches to a bracket on the side of each pan. Gripping the bracket,
      rather than the lip of the pan, does not scratch the non-stick
      interior or the exterior finish. Price was the sixth influencing
      factor. Neither the least expensive, nor as lightweight and strong as
      titanium, yet the Hard Anodized Extreme 5-Piece Cookset was the best
      value for me.

      Product Performance:

      Of the five pieces, to date, I have only used the 1.5 qt (1.4 L) pot,
      its lid, the DiamondBack Gripper, and the elastic strap. These pieces
      satisfy my cooking needs and that of my two teenage boys when they
      accompany me. In addition, limiting myself to these pieces helps me
      limit the weight, and optimize the space, in my pack. As an
      additional space optimization technique, I pack either my stove, eggs
      in a plastic egg holder, or other items inside the pot. Having done
      this on numerous outings, the non-stick cook surface is still in
      tact--no scratches.

      When cooking, I usually use a small plastic spatula to prevent
      scratching the non-stick surface. The permanent non-stick surface
      fulfills GSI's claim of an easy to clean interior. I have cooked
      omelets, potatoes, and pancakes, without them sticking to the pan,
      making cleanup a breeze.

      As of now, the exterior is free of any nicks or scratches. This is
      even more impressive considering the fact that my 14 and 12-year-old
      sons have taken them on scout camping trips. No doubt, they are
      rougher on the pans than I. It is my belief that with minimal care,
      these pans will hold up for some time.

      As suspected, the grooved bottoms of the pots and fry pans helps
      secure them on the pot supports of my stove. This is especially
      helpful since it can be difficult, at times, to get my stove level.

      Impressive as the non-stick surface and the durability of the anodized
      aluminum are, the most impressive thing to me thus far is how quickly
      and evenly these pans cook. They cook nearly as well as my wife's
      pans that are more expensive--not too shabby for camping gear.

      GSI lists several safety tips on the accompanying cookware details
      sheet. The safety tips include:

      1. Remove all labels. Wash with HOT SOAPY WATER, rinse and dry
      cookware before use.
      2. Do not let cookware boil dry.
      3. Cookware can discolor if allowed to overheat excessively.
      4. Where possible, adjust stove or fire to the minimal cooking level
      so that the flame does not extend up the sides of the pot and touches
      only the bottom of the cookware.
      5. Do not use GSI cookware in an oven or under a broiler.
      6. Always separate the DiamondBack Versa-Gripper from any hot pot when
      through steadying or lifting.
      7. Medium heat recommended for all cooking and frying procedures. Use
      a low heat source for simmering.
      8. Try using a paper or dishtowel between the individual pots to
      prevent scratching when packing nesting sets.
      9. For maximum longevity, use only nylon utensils on all non-stick
      cookware.
      10. Prolong the finish by using only a nonabrasive scouring pad.
      11. Never cut with a knife inside the cookware.

      GSI offers several hard-anodized products. However, they do not offer
      items included in the 5-piece or the 7-piece cook set separately. As
      mentioned earlier, I only use the 1.5 qt (1.4 L) pot and its
      accompanying 6.25" (16 cm) diameter lid/fry pan and the DiamondBack
      Gripper. It would be nice to be able to purchase a pot and its
      accompanying lid separately, rather than having to purchase an entire
      cook set. No one likes shelling out money for items that they are
      unlikely to use.

      Likes:

      • durability
      • non-stick interior
      • lightweight
      • heats up quickly
      • cooks evenly

      Dislikes:

      • none thus far
    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2005
        Ryan,

        the OR looks great. one little edit - "intact" is one word, but you
        have separated it into "in tact."

        upload to the Test folder at your leisure and notify me. thanks!

        -colleen
      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
          Ryan,

          back on November 22, in message number 68529, i posted this response to
          your revised OR:

          > the OR looks great. one little edit - "intact" is one word, but you
          > have separated it into "in tact."
          >
          > upload to the Test folder at your leisure and notify me. thanks!

          i haven't seen a notice from you and when i looked at the test folder
          the other day i didn't see your OR in there. so this is an official
          nudge from your editor.

          -colleen
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
            I don't know if this applies, but all uploads are currently suspended. I've
            been notified the server move will be tonight but don't do anything until I
            pass the word.

            Thanks!

            Jerry

            _____

            back on November 22, in message number 68529, i posted this response to
            your revised OR:

            > the OR looks great. one little edit - "intact" is one word, but you
            > have separated it into "in tact."
            >
            > upload to the Test folder at your leisure and notify me. thanks!

            i haven't seen a notice from you and when i looked at the test folder
            the other day i didn't see your OR in there. so this is an official
            nudge from your editor.

            -colleen

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS