Thank you Jeremiah Kost - OWNER REVIEW -- Marmot DriClime Windshirt

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005

      reviews before submission.

      Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Officer
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2005
        Hello Jeremiah,

        Here's your first edit on the DriClime windshirt. This is a good
        start. I liked your writing style in the main portion of the review,
        and I'm sure that this will shape up well, but (as is often the case
        with first reviews) it does need some fairly substantial polishing.
        Please carefully review and incorporate my edits, and post to the list
        using REPOST in the subject line, along with your name and the garment
        name.

        Thanks,

        Ted

        BGT OR Editor

        > Marmot DriClime Windshirt
        > http://www.marmot.com/

        ### EDIT: Remove the website from here.

        > Owner Review
        > Report Date: 10/30/05
        >
        > Personal:
        > Jeremiah Kost
        > 45 year old male
        > 5' 11" (1.80 m)
        > 150 lb (68 kg)
        > Rocky Mountains in Colorado, USA
        > jeremiahs_mail "at" att "dot" net
        >

        > Background:
        > I have 33 years of backpacking experience in the western United
        > States. I'm a 4-season backpacker, and my trips last from 2 to 30
        > days. I do it all from long-distance lightweight packing with a tarp
        > to car camping with a tent, and I am also a mountaineer, rock
        > climber, snowshoer, and telemark skier. I have easy access to Rocky
        > Mountain National Park, 7 Wilderness Areas, National Forest, and
        > foothills, so I get into the backcountry quite often.

        ### EDIT: Because they look odd as they stand please change "4-season"
        to "four-season" and 7 Wilderness Areas to "seven wilderness areas." I
        realize that you are probably using caps because this is the official
        designation, but I don't feel it necessary.

        ### EDIT: I also need a sentence describing your backpacking style in
        terms of weight. Do you consider yourself an ultralighter, a
        heavyweight backpacker, or somwhere in between? What's your usual
        packweight?

        > Product:
        > DriClime Windshirt
        > Manufacturer: Marmot

        ### EDIT: Manufacturer URL should go here

        > Year: 2005
        > Style #: 5604
        > Shell Material: Mirage P-210R
        > Lining: DriClime® P-275
        > Weight: 14 oz (397 g)

        ### EDIT: Is this the manufacturer's stated weight or your measured
        weight? You must have the latter in all reviews and test series. This
        should ideally read as follows:

        Size: [whatever size you are]
        Manufacturer's stated weight: x oz (y g) for size [whatever is
        specified]. NB if this information is not available, put "not available."
        Measured weight: n oz (m g)

        > Sizes: S – XXL
        > Colors: Black, Indigo Blue, Mineral/Lava, Burnt/Lava, Fog/Lava

        ### EDIT: What color is yours? You have omitted this.

        > MSRP: $100

        ### EDIT:

        MSRP: $100 US

        > What Marmot has to say about the DriClime Windshirt:
        > (found at the Marmot website: http://www.marmot.com/)
        > finish protects against wind and rain while a soft bi-component knit
        > DriClime® lining gives it next-to-skin wearability.
        > Features: On seam hand warmer pockets
        > Functionality: Wind resistant, water repellent, and breathable
        > fabric protects you from mild conditions so that you stay
        > comfortable. DriClime® Bi-Component wicking lining for breathability
        > and excellent moisture transfer. CoolMax® mesh pitvents for
        > excellent breathability and moisture wicking. Napoleon chest
        > pocket: vertical front chest pocket stores small items for quick
        > access.
        > Comfort: DriClime® lined collar and chin guard moisture wicking
        > fabric for comfort around your neck and face. Wind flap behind front
        > zipper protects against drafts. Elastic cuffs for comfort. Angel-
        > Wing Movement™ allows full range of motion in arms so jacket doesn't
        > ride up. Standard Fit: A general performance cut for multi sport
        > fit.

        ### EDIT: I'm often in favor of listing some of the manufacturer's
        blurb, but this should not be a substitute for your own description.
        In addition, the claims made by the manufacturer's description need to
        be evaluated in the light of your experience.

        ### EDIT: Lacking here is a description of the environments in which
        you have worn this. A description of terrain, elevation range,
        temperature range, the variety of weather etc. is absolutely critical,
        especiually shen you are evaluating a garment of this type. This can
        be broken out as a separate section ("Testing Environment" or
        something to that effect) or included in a paragraph in the main body
        of the review, at or close to the beginning. Without a context the
        review loses significance.

        > Review:
        > I have two Marmot DriClime Windshirts: a 2002 medium light
        > gray/dark gray that weighs 12 oz (340 g) and a 2005 medium
        > mineral/lava that weighs 13 oz (369 g).

        ### EDIT: are these the same size? Are these your measured weights?

        The older DriClime Windshirt
        > is made from the same materials, but is slightly different in design
        > (chest pocket only).
        > The Marmot DriClime Windshirt is one of my favorite pieces of
        > gear, and I wear mine all year round as my primary layer or as my
        > base layer. Why?
        > It is comfortable next to the skin. The inner knit layer is
        > soft and does an excellent job of wicking perspiration to the surface
        > where it evaporates. The elastic cuffs make it easy to pull the
        > sleeves up my arm for extra ventilation. The mesh ventilation pit
        > panels are effective in allowing heat and moisture to exit the
        > garment without the "cold/wet" feeling of heat conducting pit zippers
        > found in comparable garments.
        > It sheds wind. The shirt itself does not have much insulation,
        > but it feels warm because of its wind-blocking ability. When the
        > wind is not blowing and I start feeling too warm, I pull up the
        > sleeves and unzip the shirt.
        > It repels light precipitation. Although only water-resistant,
        > the shirt does an excellent job of keeping me warm and dry in light
        > rain or snow especially during periods of exertion. In the summer I
        > have found that I can stay comfortable during brief rain showers
        > without having to resort to rain gear. In winter I have stayed warm
        > and comfortable while snowshoeing in gentle snowfall wearing the
        > Marmot DriClime Windshirt as my only upper body layer.
        > It has other features that I have noticed through use. It
        > feels "instantly" warm when put on bare skin first thing in the
        > morning even when the temperature is near freezing. Mosquitoes have
        > difficulty biting through it, so I can get by with wearing less
        > repellent. When worn for several days at a time as a base layer, it
        > stays "friendlier" smelling than other shirts that I have used.
        > It is durable. I give mine the most basic of care (cold water
        > wash and hang dry), and it keeps on performing season after season.

        ### COMMENT: this is all quite well written, and promises to be a good
        review. However, to harken back to my earlier remarks, I'd like a
        paragraph or two of detailed description of the garment. I'd also like
        those manufacturer claims assessed. Some you have touched on (the
        waterproof-windproof aspects), but how comfortable is the DriClime
        lined collar? Does the Angel Wing construction really allow for full
        freedom of movement? You really need to look at what the manufacturer
        says, line by line, and make sure that you evaluate those claims in
        your review. In addition, some things that aren't discuused, such as
        the length of the garment, should be touched upon. Is it long enough
        to be tucked in as a shirt? If worn as a standard jacket, does it have
        an extended tail for warmth?