Re: EDIT: Eugene Nelson Garrity Headlamp

  • sweugene
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      Ted...I'm not sure where to send this after editing; to you or to
      repost on the yahoogroups where I posted it originally; if so, how
      should it be headed. Also, I did not remember the exact name
      description of this headlamp and did not think it would be important
      as I thought this was a practice review that wouldn't be read by
      others. I previously checked their website and the headlamp they
      offer now is different, probably a newer model; so I didn't use that
      ID for my review. THanks. E.K. Nelson--- In
      BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@w...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Eugene,
      >
      > Thank you for your Garrity headlamp review. Please don't be put off
      by
      > the extensive edits. There are some nuances that your initial review
      > missed. It's possible that you might benefit from our mentor
      program,
      > although with your co-operation I'm sure we can make a decent Owner
      > Review out of this. If you do wish to make contact with a mentor,
      > though, please contact
      >
      > jennifer.pope@g...
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Ted
      >
      > BGT OR Editor
      >

      > ### EDIT:
      > Garrity 2 LED Headlamp
      > Date: October 24, 2005
      > Owner Review
      >
      > [This should be your heading. It's a recent policy change, but the
      > date should be up top, not in the bio
      >
      > N.B. I have indicated what appears to be the correct product name,
      as
      > per the Garrity website and packaging, see
      >
      > http://www.garritylites.com/site/retail_details.php?recid=84
      >
      > If your light is different from this product, please advise and
      > correct accordingly]
      >
      > > Name: Eugene King Nelson
      > > Age: 61
      > > Gender: Male
      > > Height: 6'3"
      > > Weight: 165 lbs.
      > > Email: kawl@l...
      > > Home: Edgewood, NM
      > > Date: 10-24-05
      >
      > ### EDIT: Delete date from here.
      > ### EDIT: Since BGT's audience is international (indeed, quite a few
      > of our reviewers etc. are in Europe, Australia and Canada) we need
      > metric equivalents for all units in imperial measure. For
      conversions,
      > the conversion table at
      >
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html
      >
      > is very useful. Please do read the text at the bottom, which is very
      > helpful in the matter of levels of accuracy of conversion, unit
      names,
      > etc. As an example, your height should read
      >
      > Height: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
      > Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      >
      > Please go through your review and supply metric equivalents where
      they
      > occur, including temperatures.
      >

      > > Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 1981. Most
      > of my trips are 2-4 days, often setting up a base camp in an area
      and
      > dayhiking. My longest was a 5 week hike on the Appalachian Trail
      > about 13 years ago. I have recently lowered my base pack weight
      from
      > about 35 to 18 pounds. My hiking is in the New Mexico mountains and
      > southern Utah, all being 3 season. Temperatures generally range 30-
      45
      > degrees on the low side and 60-80 degrees on the high side.
      Normally,
      > I avoid going out if stormy, rainy weather is forecast, but do
      > occasionally encounter it.
      >
      > ### EDIT: This section unfortunately combines two required elements.
      > First, there is the backpacking background (which should be 100
      words,
      > or a little less). Then there is the information about the
      environment
      > in which the product has been used. This should have data on
      > temperature ranges (in F & C), elevations, weather experienced, type
      > of terrain, amount of use and anything else noteworthy. The
      > "Backpacking background" should be a separate section. I prefer the
      > "Field Environment" section to be separate and labelled in an
      > appropriate manner, but some folks incorporate it into the body of
      > their report and that's fine too, provided all the requisite
      > information appears. In this case, use the former method. Provide a
      > "Backpacking Background" following your stats, and provide a "Field
      > environment" section following the product description.
      >

      > > GARRITY 5-Function Headlamp
      >
      > ### EDIT: As noted, this appears to be the wrong name for the
      product.

      > > Manufacturer: Garrity Industries, Inc.
      > > Year of manufacture: 2004
      > > www.garritylites.com.
      > > Weight specified: Not available
      > > Weight as measured: 3.6 ounces including batteries.
      > >
      > > I purchased this headlamp at Walmart for $12.97
      >
      > ### EDIT: This should be listed with the other parameters above as
      >
      > MSRP: not available
      >
      > We give manufacturer's recommended prices where available. Retail
      > prices are frequently too variable to be of any use. It is OK to
      > mention your paid price in the body of the review.
      >

      > I purchased this headlamp at Walmart for $12.97 about a year ago.
      It
> [...]
      > batteries"(I have never seen this one).
      >
      > ### EDIT: You might want to make some note of the following points:
      >
      > How does the headband adjust?
      > Once adjusted, does it easily stay in position?
      > Is it a single strap, or is ther an "over the head" strap too?
      > Is there any color cast to the light? Does this in any way effect
      its
      > utility? (for example, does the color of the light make map-reading
      > awkward)
      > Are the battery orientations clearly indicated? Is opening the
      battery
      > compartment easy?
      > Is the lamp reasonably waterproof (if the manufacturer makes any
      > claim, or if you have experience with bearing on that issue)
      >
      > > I usually put this light on at dark, using it for walking
      > around camp and reading for 45 minutes or so..
      >
      > ### EDIT: Cut second period
      >
      > I haven't done any night hiking with it. It lights well for me
      > reading with the low LED and claims up to 150 hours of light on a
      set
      > of batteries, presumably at the low setting. I am still using the
      > batteries that came with the unit, with about 30-40 hours on them so
      > far. Virtually all of my usage has been at temperatures around 40-
      60
      > degrees in dry conditions. I have also found it very handy a few
      > times in repairing things around the house in dark areas.
      >
      > ### EDIT: This is really the meat of your review. Unfortunately,
      there
      > really isn't very much to it. I'd like to know how useful you have
      > found this around camp for proximity lighting. Is it helpful for
      > cooking, is the light level adequate for setting up the tent in the
      > dark, all the nitty-gritty details of utility. I'm not asking you to
      > pad the review, but to provide a thorough account of how the
      headlamp
      > has performed.
      >

      > > This headlamp has been very useful for me. It is my first
      one
      > and I prefer it far more than handheld lights. Some minor things
      that
      > caused problems: 1) part of the headband pad attachment broke, but
      > still remained usable; perhaps a stronger material would be in order
      > 2) I remove the batteries after each trip and occasionally had to
      > reinsert them once or twice to establish electrical contact for the
      > next trip. Things I like about it: 1) the switch is easy to operate
      > and seems durable 2) It is reasonably comfortable and always stays
      in
      > place on my head as well as in the up/down position 3) the low
      light
      > setting works for virtually everything I do, extending battery
      life.

      > ### EDIT: We will deal with this section on the next round of edits.
      >

      > > --
      > >
      > > Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number. -Lycos

      http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/defau
      lt.asp?SRC=lycos10

    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        Hello Eugene,

        The corrected version should be reposted to this list with the heading
        REPOST: (title of item)(your name). I'll catch it, have no fear. If
        you chane a review before it is picked up by an editor you would use
        the REVISED tag.

        The correct name is important. In this case, assuming you don't have
        the product literature around to confirm it, I would use the title
        from the website; although the design may have changed, I strongly
        suspect that the name will have remained a constant, as it is somewhat
        generic.

        I'd take gentle issue with the contention that these are "practice
        reviews." True, they are to get you, as a new BGT member, familiar
        with the BGT review process, but BGT tries its best to maintain high
        standards throughout, and your review will be on the site for the
        world to read. We therefore want it to be factually accurate and in
        conformance with the standards of measurement etc. that we all use.

        Best,

        Ted

        BGT OR editor