OR Princton Tech Aurora Will Gester

  • flappershurt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      Owner Review - Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp LED

      Name: Will W. Gester
      Age: 16
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 130 lbs (59 Kg)
      Email Address: Becool64@...
      City, State: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
      Date: October 30, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      When I was 10 I joined Boy Scouts and loved it. I first rented a
      tent and backpack and then for Christmas I received my first tent
      and backpack. I was obviously overjoyed. 3 tents, 4 backpacks and 3
      sleeping bags later I now go on trips twice a month. My highlights
      have been a Canadian Boundary Water trip and a trip in the Amazon. I
      usually carry a 30 lb (14 Kg) pack filled with lightweight gear. I
      love backpacking and especially cold weather backpacking.

      Product Information:

      Product: Aurora Headlamp
      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
      Web Site: http://www.gadgetgear.com/
      MSRP: $29.99
      Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Listed Weight: 2.7 oz (77 g)
      Actual Weight: 2.8 oz (78 g)
      Type of Bulb: LED
      Number of Bulbs: 3
      Number and Type of Batteries: 3 AAA
      Advertised Burn Time: 50-160 Hours

      Product Description:
      The Aurora is a lightweight, compact and waterproof LED headlamp. It
      has 3 LED's, which are arranged in a triangular formation. Princeton
      Tech says this configuration provides an even lighting affect. It
      has a single elastic headband that goes around the head. It has a
      rubber switch on the top right side of the headlamp. The button
      controls the different lighting possibilities (Bright, Medium, Low,
      Slow Blink, and Fast Blink). It utilizes three AAA batteries using
      4.5 volts.

      Field Use:
      I've used the Aurora for about 2 years. It has been used in almost
      all conditions and pretty much every feature has been tested. The
      brightness emitted from the headlamp is near perfect for my needs. I
      have used it to hike and it worked very well for night hiking. I was
      able see the trail enough to avoid twisting anything and avoid
      obstructions. It is also great for reading. I found that the
      brightest setting was a little excessive here but one of the dimmer
      ones worked well. The only problem I had with the light was blinding
      my friends.
      The batteries lasted for over a year on more than 20 backpacking
      trips. When they did go out, the case was hard to open. Even though
      it has a hole for a quarter or knife, it was hard to pry the case
      apart. Even after inserting the quarter it was still difficult to
      pry open. After doing so many times though, I can now open it
      without a tool. The LED's haven't died yet and I have used it for at
      least 80 hours on high/medium. The durability of this little light
      is unquestionable. It has been dropped, stepped on, fallen off of
      cliffs, and accidentally abused. I still can't find anything wrong
      with it except scratches. Its waterproof shell was tested when it
      fell into the mud on a hike in Turkey Gulch, Tennessee. After being
      subjected to a downpour and later falling into the mud, the light
      still works great. The elastic headband is very comfortable. It has
      curled a little due to being soaked for a while but still feels
      fine. The hinge is my only problem. At first it worked great. This
      lasted for about a year and a half. Now I have to tighten it up
      before each backpacking trip. The hinge will always come loose and
      the light will fall and shine into my eyes. Obviously this is not
      fun. This is the only negative thing I could find about it though.
      It is the smallest and lightest headlamp I have ever used and will
      actually fit comfortably in my pocket. Overall it is a great light
      and I find it small, light and durable.

      Likes:
      Long burn time
      Bright light
      Small and light

      Dislikes:
      The hinge loosening up
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the yahoo group list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
          Hello Will,

          Here's your edit for the Princeton Tec Aurora. It's a very good start.
          Would you make the suggested changes, please, and send the edited
          version to the list with REPOST in the title. Many thanks!

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > Owner Review - Princeton Tec Aurora Headlamp LED

          ### EDIT: Please move the date from your bio to below the title.

          > Name: Will W. Gester
          > Age: 16
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
          > Weight: 130 lbs (59 Kg)

          ### EDIT: Weight: 130 lb (59 kg) [note: no plural on lb, lower-case k
          on kg)

          > Email Address: Becool64@g...
          > City, State: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
          > Date: October 30, 2005
          >

          > Backpacking Background:
          >
          > When I was 10 I joined Boy Scouts and loved it. I first rented a
          > tent and backpack and then for Christmas I received my first tent
          > and backpack. I was obviously overjoyed. 3 tents, 4 backpacks and 3
          > sleeping bags later I now go on trips twice a month. My highlights
          > have been a Canadian Boundary Water trip and a trip in the Amazon. I
          > usually carry a 30 lb (14 Kg)

          ### EDIT: kg

          pack filled with lightweight gear. I
          > love backpacking and especially cold weather backpacking.
          >

          > Product Information:
          >
          > Product: Aurora Headlamp
          > Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
          > Web Site: http://www.gadgetgear.com/
          > MSRP: $29.99

          ### EDIT MSRP: $29.99 US [always specify US, to differentiate from
          Canadian or Australian, among others]

          > Year of Manufacture: 2004
          > Listed Weight: 2.7 oz (77 g)
          > Actual Weight: 2.8 oz (78 g)
          > Type of Bulb: LED
          > Number of Bulbs: 3
          > Number and Type of Batteries: 3 AAA
          > Advertised Burn Time: 50-160 Hours
          >
          > Product Description:
          > The Aurora is a lightweight, compact and waterproof LED headlamp. It
          > has 3 LED's

          ### EDIT LEDs [simple plural, not the possessive]

          , which are arranged in a triangular formation. Princeton
          > Tech

          ### EDIT Princeton Tec, not Tech

          says this configuration provides an even lighting affect. It
          > has a single elastic headband that goes around the head. It has a
          > rubber switch on the top right side of the headlamp. The button
          > controls the different lighting possibilities (Bright, Medium, Low,
          > Slow Blink, and Fast Blink). It utilizes three AAA batteries using
          > 4.5 volts.

          ### EDIT: It utilizes three AAA batteries for a total of 4.5 volts.

          ### EDIT: Missing from the review is the required section on the
          environmental conditions--temperatures, elevations, terrain, weather
          etc. --under which you have used the lamp. You touch on this in the
          text, but not fully. Please add this. Call it "Field encironment" or
          something similar.

          > Field Use:
          > I've used the Aurora for about 2 years. It has been used in almost
          > all conditions and pretty much every feature has been tested. The
          > brightness emitted from the headlamp is near perfect for my needs. I
          > have used it to hike and it worked very well for night hiking.

          ### EDIT: It has worked very well for night hiking.
          [I have use it to hike... seems redundant]

          I was
          > able see the trail enough to avoid twisting anything and avoid
          > obstructions. It is also great for reading. I found that the
          > brightest setting was a little excessive here but one of the dimmer
          > ones worked well. The only problem I

          ### EDIT have had [unless you are no longer using the lamp--had makes
          it sound like you know longer use it]

          had with the light was blinding
          > my friends.
          > The batteries lasted for over a year on more than 20 backpacking
          > trips. When they did go out, the case was hard to open. Even though
          > it has a hole for a quarter or knife, it was hard to pry the case
          > apart.

          ### EDIT: I don't know about the Aurora, but many headlamps have a
          ridge on the buckle for adjusting the headnabd that is designed for
          prying the case open. Is this the true with the Aurora?

          Even after inserting the quarter it was still difficult to
          > pry open.

          ### EDIT: Maybe edit this so you are not repeating yourself a bit over
          these two or three sentences

          After doing so many times though, I can now open it
          > without a tool. The LED's

          ### EDIT: LEDs

          haven't died yet and I have used it for at
          > least 80 hours on high/medium. The durability of this little light
          > is unquestionable. It has been dropped, stepped on, fallen off of
          > cliffs,

          ### EDIT: ...fallen off cliffs.... [not "off of"]

          and accidentally abused. I still can't find anything wrong
          > with it except scratches.

          ### EDIT: well, there is the hinge problem you discuss. With that, I
          don't know that you can state that there's nothing wrong with it
          except scratches.

          Its waterproof shell was tested when it
          > fell into the mud on a hike in Turkey Gulch, Tennessee. After being
          > subjected to a downpour and later falling into the mud, the light
          > still works great. The elastic headband is very comfortable. It has
          > curled a little due to being soaked for a while but still feels
          > fine. The hinge is my only problem. At first it worked great.

          ### EDIT: At first it worked well. [to avoid repeating "worked great"]