Owner Review: Kelty Lunar Double 20

  • Tiffany
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      This is my first owner review and post. I would like to request a
      mentor and would like Chuch Carnes as my mentor.

      KELTY LUNAR DOUBLE 20
      double sleeping bag
      Reviewer Information

      Name: Tiffany Mozingo
      Age: 27
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'4 (1.52 M)
      Weight: 170 lbs (77 kg)
      Email address: Tiffgringa@...
      City, State, Country: Rocky Mount, NC USA
      Date: 11/02/05
      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking in 1997 while in college in the foothills of
      the Great Smoky Mountains in NC. I typically backpack a few times
      each year on weekends, and extended weekend trips. In the interim I
      also do a lot of base camping and hiking, approximately 1-2 weekends
      per month. Most of my experiences have been in mild to advanced
      mountain terrain in varying weather conditions. I like my pack as
      light as possible, but don't necessarily consider myself a
      lightweight minimalist packer. I often create base camps and then
      day hike from there.
      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Listed Pack Weight: 13 lb (5.9 kg)
      Actual Pack Weight: 13lbs, 4 oz (6.01 kg)
      Fill Weight: 140 oz (3969 gr)
      Girth: 136" (371 cm)
      Length: 80" (203 cm)
      Stuffed Dimensions 17"x38" (43.18cm x 97 cm)
      Fill Material: Cloudloft synthetic
      Exterior shell: Polyester Ripstop Shell
      Liner Material: Brushed Polyester fleece liner
      Color: Silver/Charcoal
      Rating: 20 degrees F (-6.66 C)
      MSRP: $145-$185
      Purchase price: $134 (on sale)

      regular Lunar 20 for one, only this one is designed for two. This
      bag features roll up straps on the end for easy caring, dual zippers
      on each side, two layer offset quilt construction, cordlock draw
      cords for cinching, ground level side seams with a differential cut
      that helps to eliminate cold spots, internal liner loops to secure
      kelty liners, draft tube along zipper with velcro top, and the
      ability to separate the bag and use as two separate bags

      This bag was used in the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina
      USA. The terrain was mountainous and damp, while at an elevation of
      about 1900 ft (579 M). The weather was cold 26-32 degrees
      Fahrenheit (-3.32 - 0 degrees Celsius). Frost and dew was heavy,
      although no rain or precipitation.

      My boyfriend and I purchased this bag after being tired of cold
      sleepless nights using pieced together blankets and bags. Having
      owned Kelty products before, I had high expectations of this bag.
      The bag has dual zippers on each side and is rectangular in shape.
      It features draw cords that allow the bag to be cinched in to
      preserve warmth, or let out to allow for more space. The zippers
      are well constructed to prevent sticking, and contain a thick draft
      tube the length of the bag. Each side zipper contains a velcro
      closure to secure the zippers in place. The dual zippers allow the
      bag to be partially unzipped to create a large blanket, or to be
      fully unzipped and separated into two separate bags. The double bag
      comes with a cotton storage sack that does not compress.
      Compression sacks and coordinating liners are available as a
      separate purchase. Unlike many double bags, the liner of this bag
      has a brushed polyester/fleece blend, and contains no cotton. The
      rip stop nylon shell is water resistant and durable.

      This bag was used at base camp in late fall/ early winter. The
      temperature ranges it has been used in were all below freezing, the
      coldest being the first night at 26 degrees F (-3.32 C) The
      combination of the soft fleece liner and great construction mixed
      with the warmth of two bodies inside of one bag kept us toasty and
      warm all night. I was able to sleep fully throughout the night
      without waking due to being too cold or warm. The bag size was
      definitely roomy enough for two of us to sleep side by side without
      touching, or to sleep snuggled up utilizing the draw cords to pull
      in the excess space. It can accommodate back, side or stomach
      sleeping, or a combination of each between the two people. I was
      concerned with the dual zippers, that there would be a lot of
      draft. The draft collar worked great to keep out cool air. The
      zippers on each side also allowed my boyfriend and I to control the
      degree of ventilation without disturbing the other person. I was
      able to keep my zipper tightly zipped up while he was able to put
      his down to allow added air flow. This is a huge plus in any
      double bag because it allows each partner to control their
      individual temperature.
      While I don't own the compression sack, the large cotton storage bag
      or large bag stuff area on a pack will accommodate it.
      Summary
      This is a great 2 person bag. The advantages are it's warmth,
      durable construction, draft resistance, and roominess.
      It's disadvantage is it's weight. It's heavy for backpacking.
      I think that there are better options for backpacking, but as a base
      camp bag, or for car or family camping, you can't go wrong with this
      bag.
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005
        In case anyone is worried that I didn't catch this, Chuck alerted me
        to this already.

        Welcome aboard Tiffany.

        Jennifer
        BGT Mentor Coordinator

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany" <Tiffgringa@g...>
        wrote:

        > This is my first owner review and post. I would like to request a
        > mentor and would like Chuch Carnes as my mentor.
        >

        > KELTY LUNAR DOUBLE 20
        > double sleeping bag
        > Reviewer Information
        >
        > Name: Tiffany Mozingo
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005

          reviews before submission.

          Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          Owner Review Queue is posted to the yahoo group list on Fridays.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Officer